“Playa Mazatlan, great location, could have better rooms”

Hotel Playa Mazatlan
Ranked #3 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 23, 2004

This was my fourth trip to Mazatlan. I have friends that live there, so I like to visit them. This is the first time I stayed at the Playa Mazatlan and it was a pleasurable vacation. There are some things this hotel could do to improve, and one is the rooms. I had a room (2006) on the second floor to the north facing the water (I paid extra for that.) The view was great, and I could hardly here any loud music at night. The room was clean and the airconditioning worked fine. The room was plenty big enough, as was the bathroom. Now for the downfalls. The table in the room is unmovable, and the cheap viynal couch has no table. There are no table lamps, or seperate lighting situations for reading, or just going to the bathroom in the middle of the night. The lights they have are two florescent above the beds, one spot light above the table, and one incandescent above the door. They all go on at the same time, making it a very bright and uncomfortable lighting situation. There is a window by the front door with no drapery or shades, which not only lets the outside hall light in at night, but allows people to see into the room (it is blurred glass, but you can still see in.) There is no fan vent in the bathroom, but another window leading out into the hallway with tilt glass panes for ventilation. This you can also see in if you wanted to, and you can here people going to the john and showering. The drapery and shading for the patio doors are white and don't keep out much light, so sleeping in is imposible, there is a door to the adjoining room which you can here through easily. It has a big closet which some of the wasted space could be used for a refrigerator. They have no ice machines by the room, so you have to buy a cooler and ice from across the street. The maid service was a bit bizzarre. They would leave the dirty linens in the room overnight as if they forgot them. It took two days to get the room service dishes removed. The television satilite service could be a lot better. there is no night stand, or remote control for the T.V.
The location and grounds are fabulous. It has four great pools, and a jaccuzi. The hotels beach area is pleasent and well kept. The food and service is great. There is a confusing situation at the main pool. Apperently the poolside cafe and bar is leased out to a private entity meaning you can't use your room charge there. The exchange rate they gave me was $9.50, which is a lot lower then the actual rate you can get at the bank, or if you used your room charge thus putting it on a credit card at the end of your stay. Ramon is a great, hardworking person at the poolside cafe.
All in all I am not a complainer, but the review is fair, and this hotel is a bit above average. For the nicest room in Mazatlan, but smaller pool area stay at the Royal Villas. and for a nice room , big pool areas, but further away, stay at either Pueblo Bonitos

11  Thank tonymertz
Write a ReviewReviews (1,885)

Kelseyville, California
Reviewed May 10, 2004

The Playa has been my favorite hotel for years. This year, my husband and a couple friends went along, not knowing what to expect. They more than loved it. In fact, they all can't wait to go again. The Playa is so very beautiful. The grounds are unbelievable. The staff keep the entire grounds as clean & fresh as can be. It's just such a joy. The waiters are so very good to all that stay. There are two that I need to mention. One is Juan. He always knew when I wanted the wonderful Coconut Ice Cream. Which was every day. He took such good care of us. The other is Roman. He works at the Pool side cafe. What a wonderful person he is. He kept us laughing every day with his jokes & humor. He is such a pleasure. So if your planning a vacation in Mazatlan, you can't go wrong at the Playa. I can garentee, it will be the best.

Reviewed April 29, 2004

Very clean all around the hotel and in the rooms. The staff was very accomodating,eager and more polite to Americans than Americans are to each other. The days we spent on the beach were the best days ever on any beach I have been to. I looked at a lot of beach area there and Hotel Playa had the nicest looking one.Our beers were never empty we had all the shrimp and octopus we desired and for a pittence including a good tip. We also didn't have to leave the beach or our thatch roof like in US.After our nights out we would stop in the hotel bar listen to the band and try different brands of Reposado and Anejo (tequillas)with limon and salt.I am not a tequilla drinker because I never had any this good.The Fiesta Muy Bien we waited about 10 minutes at he end of the long line and there was not a bad seat in the place.All the food you can eat ,excelent steak. There was bottomless beer,mixed drinks ,tequilla,sodas and water.I was sitting there telling my wife it would be worth 100 pesos to not have to get the food myself when everybody got up at once.Lo and behold waiter says aren't you hungry sir ,I said yes and pointed to the line he said let me get your food for you. He didn't hold out his hand for money but I am a man of my word.I gave him another 100 pesos ($9.09US)at the end of the show for all the tequilla we drank. At soon as the disco crap between supper and the show is over the fun begins.Sabolo Centro bus will take you almost anywhere you want to go for 7 1/2 pesos. Any bus 2 blocks from hotel will take you anywhere to the north and the older ones 2 people ride for 7 1/2 pesos. Tell the time share people you are leaving tomorrow even if you stay a month and they go on. Any resturaunt,street corner or pulmonia with a very freindly person with very good english is likely leading up to this.On the way to the Airport I thought I was going to cry I did not want to go back to US.If I ever get the chance to go again everything else can wait,I am going.
Gracias Hotel Playa y ciudad de Mazatlan.

3  Thank Biggus
Reviewed April 25, 2004

Having stayed at the Playa many times in the past, we came back home this time knowing that it would be our last time. I had emailed requests for a room in a certain area, (beach walkout on the side near Joe's), several weeks in advance, but were told none were available upon arrival. We asked to upgrade to a deluxe room and pay any additional. The clerk said that one was available, but after talking to her supervisor, it became unavailable. We were put in a beach walkout that faced the wall of Joe's Oyster Bar, so that the bass reverberated until 5am between the two walls...so much for falling asleep to ocean sounds. We moved the next day to a room on the second floor, on the other side of the restaurant. The bed and pillows were very hard, the shower sprayed right into the bathroom, the hair dryer almost caught on fire, and the television had a narrow picture...the controller was optional with a cash deposit. The hotel is very clean, with perhaps the best beach in the area. The playa restaurant is average...best for breakfast. Beach service was always good...perhaps because we tip the attendant $20 in the AM. People always seem to lay out their towels really early to save a spot. The Fiesta was also average...expect you to line up outside 45 minutes early to get a good seat inside...not a vegetable to be seen, and the dessert was a pumpkin turnover wrapped in cellophane...they do push the beverages. Stone Island tour was boring. Solicitations for time shares, restaurants, jewlery stores and taxis is never-ending. Choose the Playa if you MUST go to Mazatlan, there's not much better...I'll spend my future vacation dollars somewhere else.

Glendora, CA
Reviewed April 19, 2004

We started a yearly tradition!!! We will continue to visit Mazatlan and Hotel Playa for many years to come!!Thank you for the great service, view and wonderful beach front memories!!!

Reviewed April 15, 2004

My wife and i traveled to Mazatlan for the first time in early April 2004. We picked the Playa Mazatlan based on the earlier reviews we read at this site. To earlier commenters. Many Thanks!We had an Ocean front room on the fifth floor. Yes there actually is a fifth floor. It was a large room, with a wonderfully large shower. No little closet like shower in this room. The hotel presents itself perfectly. A cobblestone driveway takes you to the covered patio that leads to the front desk. The patio has a dozen or more leather backed wooden rocking chairs waiting for the weary traveler, the hotel guest preparing for an organized or not so organized adventure away from the hotel, or for just sitting around or sadly waiting for your transportation back...wherever that is.I'm not a big fan of all inclusive places, where a person can go and stay the whole week there, and have everything she or he wants. This hotel gives you that without making you feel like an American tourist in Mexico. There are a number of pools, a little restaurant attached to the property by the main pool that provides great food, drink and friendly waiters waitresses and managers. Ramone is worth a daily trip to this outside type cafe just to chat with him for a few minutes.Alex, the proprietor at the on property gymnasium will customize a daily, weekly one time workout schedule for you, and he keeps the gym impeccably clean. He even let me throw my used towel out the back window into the waiting laundry truck below.The other help were always friendly and helpful, and seemed to love it when we greeted them each day in their native language with a Buenos dias, com esta usted.Our previous journeys to other Mexican resort cities have resulted in our exploring the community in search of a B&B, hacienda etc., for our next trip to that location. We may do that when we return to Mazatlan. It won't be, however because we didin't enjoy every aspect of the Playa...because we did.We can't speak to the possibility of noise coming from Oyster Joe's. There weren't overwhwlming crowds of American college kids around the week we were there. we did fall asleep at night to the late night sounds of the mostly Mexican music oriented house band playing five floors below us.And the Mexican vacatioers came out each night we were there and danced and danced. Their dances, their styles, not the fox trot, the waltz, or American rock and roll...and oh it was so much fun to watch. Occasionally, i was even brave enough to venture on to the dance floor with my more dance crazy spouse. Mostly we adjusted our foxtrot, waltz to the upbeat tempo and rythmn of the music. Occasionally this middle aged middle westerner even got carried away and explored the wiggling and moving back and forth kind of dancing that all Americans have tried to do if they are under fifty.My counsel, the Playa is an absolutely wonderful place to stay if one is vactioning in Mazatlan Mexico!

4  Thank lmaass
Reviewed March 30, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Playa in february and had a wonderful time. The staff was very friendly the hotel always clean. This was our first trip to Mexico, and we already planning on going back next year! The staff was helpful and polite, we loved Roman! we highly reccommend this hotel.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member