WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersGold level
Heber Springs, Arkansas
“Great resort, bad food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

The resort is great, rooms are updated and comfortable, not luxurious but that's ok. The grounds are very well kept, very clean. Loved the set up on the beach with the umbrella huts. Service was exceptional! The only complaint we had was regarding food and drinks. With the all inclusive plan, we were only allowed to have the inexpensive alcoholic drinks, and they were terrible! The reviews we read mostly said that the food was fine but we found it to be below average, very much like a buffet you would get at a Western Sizzlin in the states. For example, one night one of the items on the dinner buffet were hot dogs, the next morning, their were hot dogs cut up in the scrambled eggs and also hot dogs labeled as "sausage". We were allowed to eat at the Italian restaurant any time we wanted to, the setting as well as the presentation of the food was perfect, as good as any nice restaurant I've been to, but the quality of the food was similar to the buffet. I ordered raviolis one night and they had the same red sauce that tasted very much like ketchup, no flavor at all, that the pizza I got for lunch by the pool had on it. The pizza was so bad that I actually threw it away. The food was so bad that we even went out for food and drinks part of the time even though we had already paid for the all inclusive plan. This is such a shame because for the price, you can't beat this resort, but because of the quality of the food, we won't return :(

Room Tip: Definitely go for the beach view rooms!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank vacationer122
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear valued guest,
I appreciate you taking the time to post your comments about your experience in the hotel, and I am happy to hear that you left with a good review about our facilities, services and amenities; yet we are disheartened to hear about your experience with both our food and drinks. I am not sure what was going on during the period in which you visited that would so drastically change our quality standards, to the points that you mention, but I will personally take it up with our chef and his staff. As a member of a large family and father to three, I can’t think of any good experience or celebration in my life that did not take place around some form of food or dining table, so I feel strongly about the importance of offering high quality good tasting food. Note that we do work with various similar products prepared in different ways as this is what the local market offers, but it should never taste like the same dish over and over again, we will work on increasing the variety of product so that we may meet the needs of even our most demanding clients. Our aim is always to please, and not being able to offer great food while being in Mexico should be and will be an impossibility. Although you mention you will not return, I hope that one day you will come by and look at some of the changes I will strive to make. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service to you.

LT VIENT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
San Carlos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

For Mexico this is a great safe place to stay , have stayed many times, clean and safe, The staff is attentive but slow as it is Mexico. If you want to go have a great time and be right on the beach or three different swimming pools all in one place this is it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear valued guest (BobG)
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. As a local I would like to thank the rotary club for their continued support of our city and people. We look forward to many more seasons together. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service to you personally.

Atascadero, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

My 7 yr old grandson and I stayed for a week last Thanksgiving for the second time. Authentic Mexican experience, great staff, very best beach, delicious food; what more could you ask for? Ocean view rooms in tower are absolutely amazing! Our #1 choice of all resorts in, Mazatlan! We shall return next Thanksgiving vacation! Hope to see you there; you won't regret your choice! Thank you Hotel Playa Mazatlan for the unforgetable vacations!

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear valued guest (ImissMaz)
Thank you for your promise of continued support, and enthusiasm towards our brand, it is a pleasure to hear that we were able to accommodate both you and your grandsons desires. It is thrilling to hear about what we call generational travel. Our family has been managing and maintaining the property for 4 generations now, and we look for sutainable tourism by creating amenities that appeal to all members of a family. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning your next visit.

Green Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

First trip to Mazatlan and first time @ Playa Mazatlan in November 2013 for 2 weeks. What a great hotel and Beach!! Just as my friend/traveling companion said it would be, but more!! Staff was incredible, hard-working, and friendly. Food was so good, that I look @ my pics all the time, mouth watering.Layout of hotel was fascinating, as everyday I found a new niche! Best Beach in all of Mazatlan, right at your feet, your vision, and at breakfast,lunch @ dinner. My balcony view was spectacular. Hard to compare any beach hotel with Playa. Will certainly return. Great value too!! Thanks for a great vacation.

Room Tip: All rooms near tower on first floor had that spectacular view. Third floor tower room facing ocean w...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear valued guest (ometwin)
We are thrilled to hear that we impacted your opinion of Mazatlan in such a positive fashion, as I tell all my guest that the only insecurity that you will go through while you are here is whether or not you want to go back home. It is always a pleasure to hear that we have earned the right to have our guest visit again. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of personal service in setting up your next visit.

Best Wishes and safe travels,
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel for years, and I have stayed at other hotels in Mazatlan previously. There is no comparison! All the staff are always working hard to make our experience the best. The hotel is incredibly clean, the food is fresh and delicious, and the service is personal--they remember you from the year before! The hotel is located in the middle of all the fun, and it is right on the ocean. It is a quiet place to stay, never any trouble, even when it is fully occupied. The decor is authentically Mexican--you get the feel of the history and the culture. The evening live show has traditional music and dance that you enjoy while eating most tasty authentic Mexican food. I am instantly transported to paradise every time I come to the Playa.

Room Tip: The ocean view is beautiful--well worth the little extra charge.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest,

We are honored by your continued loyalty to our brand, resort and destination. It is a pleasure to hear that after so many years and visits, we are still able to impact your stay and offer you quality service and new amenities. We hope that your next visit is planned already and if not we would love to be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can help.

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

My husband and I traveled to Mazatlan for the first time in February with a group of friends who had been coming to Hotel Playa for years. We were on the first floor with direct access to the beach. I was impressed by the bi-lingual staff at checkin who were very friendly and patient with our questions. I truly enjoyed the wait staff on the beach, in the restaurant and poolside. Customer service can make or break a vacation, and the staff members are the reason we will go back again. This resort is really clean! They were constantly mopping the tiles and sweeping the sand off the walkways, and the beach was beautiful - every day combed and cleaned. I liked that the resort was security conscious and would give truthful advice on where and when you should go to certain places. The location is perfect - easy to walk to a diverse selection of restaurants/bars and shopping. Lots of options for transportation to get you to/from any location. There were many scheduled activities throughout the day for guests of all ages and plenty to do at the resort if you didn't want to leave. I was impressed by the visibility of management every day and the interaction with the guests. We also witnessed a medical emergency on the beach and Hotel Playa staff responded immediately and secured the proper assistance with professionalism and confidentiality. Overall our visit was fantastic. We will visit again and bring our children and that says it all! Thank you to Lance and all of the staff for a wonderful vacation - see you again soon!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear valued guest,
We truly appreciate you taking the time to post your comments about our property and your experience while you were here. It is always exciting to hear about new guest visiting us, and promising a prompt return. We will look forward to serving you. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service.

Carmel, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

25 years same hotel, great staff, very good service. I love the friendliness and the fact that the staff remember you from year to year and will go out of their way to help you. I love the fact that it is not one of those big skyscrapers but rather has the feel of a Mexican Hacienda. The mattresses in the rooms could be a little more comfortable, but actually not bad. The outside beach chairs are a bit hard, but with a pillow it's quite a bit better. Jacqueline and her little band were fantastic, the new singer is not that great and needs to learn to dress with a little more class.
The music is really too loud. Also the music at the beach that comes at the end of the day is really quite awful and much too loud as you are peacefully trying to take in the end of the day and a beautiful sunset even from your ocean front balcony. But all in all, I consider Playa Mazatlan the best hotel in Mazatlan, nicely located and would not stay anywhere else. I enjoy that Management always has time for you and make themselves available to you. The Playa Beach is always nice and clean. I really like some of the new activities made available, such as the Yoga stretching classes. It would be nice to have some Spanish classes added also and maybe some Salsa dancing classes. One of the most important thing for me is that I always feel very safe on the property and I look forward to continuing on returning for a yearly month long visit for many years yet. Lance, you are doing a fabulous job. Two of your most appreciated employees are Elizabeth, the concierge and Jesus in your dining room.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travel472014
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear valued guest,
I truly appreciate you taking the time to post your comments, and let us know what is working, what we can keep working on, and what has fallen out of sync. We will continue to strive for excellence in service and the ability to create unforgettable memories. It is an honor to know that we have been able to serve you for 25 years, and we will continue to be your hotel of choice when coming back home to Mazatlan. We are working on a couple potential solutions for both the beds and the beach chairs, maybe they will be in place by the next time you visit. As for the music coming from the beach, we have been in a constant communication with the Mayor so that better guidelines may be established for both the hours in which they play, the locations in which they play and the decivels of their music, but as you know the federal land is not regulated by the hotel, all we can do is work within the guidelines that we are given. Thank you for your personal comments to myself and the rest of the staff. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service to you personally.