“Wanted R&R and Got It!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Saskatoon, Canada
“Wanted R&R and Got It!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We went to Mazatlan for a small family reunion. It just so happened that I would also be looking for sunshine and rest following major surgery. I came home after a two week visit feeling much stronger.
I will try to keep this brief, so perhaps bullet points will help keep me on track and provide an honest summary of our visit. Please keep in mind I am a retired hotel professional with a very fair, but, sometimes critical eye.
- Front desk welcome and check in was pretty blah, no "Welcome to Mazatlan" and clerk seemed to be confused, yelling to someone in the back room several times for assistance I think.
- We had upgraded to a Boutique room #119 prior to our arrival, which the young bell boy told us that room did not exist, after I looked for a few minutes, I found the room myself. The bell boy was quite surprised where the door was! In his defense he was very pleasant and did a very good job at service recovery by turning the lights on and showing us where the restaurant was! And yes, he was tipped nicely and we had a good laugh about it.
- We absolutely loved the room, it was so clean, as was the rest of the resort. We nested quite well there for the 2 weeks of our visit February 16-March 2. Lot's of hot water, fresh clean towels, coffee supplies, water, beer and soft drinks in our clean little fridge.
- The housekeeping department is the star of this property. Our room was cleaned to perfection every day before noon. Nothing forgotten, fresh crisp sheets, although just a suggestion, but, fitted bottom sheets would probably be a blessing to the housekeepers. I cannot say enough about cleanliness...from public washrooms to the sand on the beach!
-The heated pool was so much fun and I met so many wonderful travelers there. Never a problem getting a lounge chair. Bingo was fun, although, sadly, I never won that elusive T shirt!
- Now, we did go A1, which we are very familiar with in other resort destinations. It was not terrible...but, it was not great. After the first week, we mostly ate out. However, we did love the breakfast buffet. I do believe the problem is not the product, but, the execution of said product. The staff seem confused of what is included and what is not...definitely a communication problem in the Food and Beverage department. Once we were turned away from the dinner buffet because of our yellow bracelet. That is when we discovered and really enjoyed the Italian restaurant, although found the wine undrinkable. I hope to see attention paid to the Italian concept, as they may have a diamond in the rough there.
- Mexican restaurant was not our favorite, but, was OK. Tried only once and did not return, service issue there...waiters seemed confused once again, about A1. We felt rushed for some reason.
- The grounds very well maintained and enjoyed the flowers, plants and tidy pathways.
- Snack bar by the pool was adequate, but, waiters seemed fairly lazy, we tipped substantially, and still found a lack of enthusiasm. Seemed rather overstaffed for the lack of food variety and service. Lots of conversation and joking around amongst the staff there. Perhaps more supervision is required. Beach side snack bar closed, a little disappointing, but understand maintenance or occupancy rules.
- Liquor service by the beachfront on those green chairs was excellent. Sure wish us A1 folks could have had bottle beer included. We got heartburn from the draft, so did not really spend too much time there after the first couple of days. We were lucky we had such a great room with a patio. We enjoyed so much time there.
- The Spanish entertainment nightly was first class and although our room was very close to the action, we slept like babies, as it never went on too late. After all we were in Mexico!
- The dining room service was fine, but, again, there seemed to be a lot of waiters, etc. not doing a lot. I wonder what the labor costs look like. Just sayin...
- Would like to be able to taste some alcohol in the specialty drinks. We were on vacation and like to get a bit of a buzz. No hangovers this time!
All in all...a very nice vacation. We will return to the Hotel Playa Mazatlan, perhaps for a month next time. We will do European plan, as there is just too much in Mazatlan to tickle our palates.
I would like to thank all of the Mazatlan citizens who made our visit so wonderful. We truly are grateful.
I just know I forgot something!
Gracias.

Room Tip: You must upgrade to a beachfront Boutique room. Made for a very comfortable stay.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank judyjudyjudy9
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear valued guest (judyjudyjudy9)

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a descriptive critique about your stay here at your home in Mazatlan. It is not often the case that we get to hear from an experienced travel and service industry professional. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your bullet points, and will as well attempt to answer in a similar fashion. Note that I will personally take on each of the tasks expressed herein:
- We will review the training level of our front desk staff, as it is paramount that we take on “the first impression”, as one of the most important points in a guest experience.
- Boutique room # 119 is often called the “elusive room” as its entrance is offset on its own corridor, we do have a few new bellboys that are still under training and learning the location of our 400 rooms. I am glad to hear that his service and attention made up for his miss direction. Note that we will continue to strive for excellence with continued training.
- Thank you for your kind comments about our maintenance and cleaning staff. Our department executive for this area has been with us for many years through hard work and rigorous training she has been able to establish a top notch team. I will personally let her know that the efforts have been recognized.
- I hope you will try your luck again next trip, note that we give T-shirts away in most of our competitions and tournaments, perhaps spreading our your luck will work better.
- We began converting some of our “service options” to accommodate all inclusive around July of last year, within this period we incorporated a number of new restaurants, expanded our staff by 200% and developed multiple new controls in service. From your posting I can assimilate that there is a continued need for communication and a harder effort needs to be made to maintain our levels of excellence, as we have become known for them over the last 60 years. I apologize for only meeting and not exceeding expectations, I can only hope we will have another opportunity in the near future to better your experience.
o Georginis (Italian Restaurant): I am glad to hear that you had the opportunity to experience this restaurant, it is as well one of my favorites, and it offers our guests what I like to call an “Italy-Mex” dining experience. I will look into the wine that was served during your time of stay, as I am familiar with what is served as house whine, and it happens to be a “good California whine”. I am surprised to hear of your reaction, perhaps it was a bad batch.
o Casa Roberto (Mexican Restaurant): This is actually my favorite restaurant, it offers traditional regional dishes. Perhaps the palette of flavors is not agreeable with you, and I am sorry to hear you did not repeat. In regards to the service I apologize for the feeling of being rushed, that is never our intention, I will spend more time in this area to make sure that standards are being kept, and service is always top notch.
o The grounds are something we are very proud of, as well as the general design of the complex, my great grandfather, grandmother, grandfather and father, have spent a large portion of their lives designing and maintaining these areas. I feel it has finally blossomed to the best stage of design that we have had in over 50 years.
o The staffing and activity issues you mentioned are of big concern, as you very well might know maintaining cost is a big part of a successful service industry. Again, I will focus on this area and make sure that the correct leadership is put into place to guarantee agility, service and attitude.
o Service by the beach is maintained by a tenured staff, lead by Humberto (“Titino”) he is a diligent worker and superb representation of attitude, after his more than 25 years of service, he continues to push for excellence and increased sales. I will again let him know of his mention in your critique.
o We appreciate you lax approach on rest and relaxation, we often receive comments from people that are not quite as happy when others are celebrating their vacation. The decks and balconies you see throughout the hotel are meant to give you privacy, but still enough proximity to enjoy a neighborly feel amongst other guests. I would recommend to experiment with multiple rooms and room types in the hotel, since after 60 years we have changed and re-created our property to boast more than 12 room types, all equally maintained to standards and some even offering one of a kind “boutique like” amenities.
o I am concerned to hear that you did not feel there was quality in the drinks being served. I can assure you that we work with the standard measurement tools to maintain a consistent “mix to alcohol content” in all beverages. I will review with bar managers and bartenders to make sure nothing is being missed.
As a local and a business owner, I appreciate your support for our city, our citizens and particularly my family’s business. I am proud to know that we will have the chance to again offer you a one of a kind experience and unforgettable memories. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning your visit.
ltvient@hotelplayamazatlan.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Bowser
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Although this is not a small hotel it has the feel of a small hotel where the staff and owners know you. The owners are very present and visible and I feel they are very aware of what is happening at the hotel. Our first room was okay but the security light shone in which bothered me and we asked to change and were accommodated. The rooms were clean, well maintained with comfortable beds. There was filtered water in every room. The food was fine. Breakfast was a buffet and there were lots of options as well as a grill where you could get eggs done to order. The other two meals offered the option of a la carte restaurants which we used several times. The service was generally good. There was one waiter in the Italian supper restaurant who was not very attentive but he was certainly the exception as I found all other staff very helpful. I would stay here again and recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: If you can get an ocean view room it is worth it.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear valued guest (Gerri T)

We are pleased to hear that you had a good experience with us, and are proud of gaining your referral. I can only say that we strive for excellence and when our merits are felt and commented on, it makes it all the worth it. Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful critique, and thank you even more, for referring us to your friends, and promising to come back soon. We will look forward to serving you and yours. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning your next stay.

mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

this is more than the tenth time we have stayed here, it won't be the last, but there needs to be attention paid to some details: the margaritas, and a few employees. we just love the location, the grounds, the buildings, pools, beach, and most of all the breakfast buffet outside by the ocean in the morning.we were not disappointed by any of that: everything is sparkly clean, lots of linens and toiletries, great hot shower, etc. fast check in time. we reserved on internet, got a great price and a 14 dollar a day voucher was offered online per room to use in their restaurants. we asked the clerk and he said we could use if for breakfast. so we checked in, and went to the bar area for margaritas, nachos, and sandwiches. and here is where the trouble started. there were at least four waiters around, all looking everywhere but at us. (there was a baby shower going on in a corner area, but they really weren't needed there much) we had a hard time getting waited on when we wanted something, which didn't bother us as much as the watered down margaritas we were served. hardly any tequila in them at all. we spent over 1000 pesos and feel we deserved better.when we paid and and were leaving, we mentioned to the bar manager that the drinks were awful, and he said he was sorry, that we should have told him, and that next time he would be sure we got a real margarita!!! so why don't they just serve them like they should in the first place??? which is what i told him. i don't know if the bartender is skimming off the tequila, or what...... but then i must say that later in the evening my husband, brother, and i went to the sports bar for a beer and to watch some tennis, and the service was excellent! the breakfast in the morning was just as great as usual, regino, our waiter was friendly and he was proud of his english. great service there now i must just add that the evening before when we checked in, my mother, 88 years old, had the use of a wheel chair, a bell boy nicely used to take her to my fathers' and her room, so i thought i would ask for it so she could get to breakfast easier. i walked to the front desk, because our room phones didn't work, and asked karinasol for one, and she bluntly and sharply stated that there was none! that they "were rented out since yesterday". so i told her we had used one not over 10 hours ago, and she again denied having any. so a nice bell boy (they are all great) took me to look for one, but there was none. so my mom walked to breakfast, which was no big deal, but i was very put off my karinasols'attitude. so now checkout: awful is the word for that. again, karinasol and her attitude. first, it seemed she had no idea what our room prices were, tried to overcharge us, so i had her look the prices up on internet. (we had signed for our breakfasts, like the front desk told us to do the night before, and then get the 14 dollars taken off our bill at checkout) she saw we had the meal credit cards and at first refused to take the 168 pesos off each our room bills because she said we had to use the credit the day we got to the hotel. boy, i was getting upset with her attitude! i told her what we had been told, then she said the card itself indicated that we had to use it on arrival. so we read the card and it said no such thing. so then she said it was indicated on their internet site that we had to use the credit the day we got there ( just checked here at home now, and it does not say anything) OMG, what an attitude, and what a hassle, and all this time another poor couple was waiting to check out. luckily, i live in mexico , and am married to a mexican, so my spanish is fluent, and i told her sternly that she better give us our credit, that we had done as we were told by the person at check in. but talk about an attitude!!! and she wasted at least 5 minutes of our time. my mother said, poor thing, it looks like she is pregnant and she is probably tired or a little crabby. well, i love this hotel, and i am writing this review mainly so the people in charge of the employees read this and take some action. real margaritas at the bar, and friendly front desk clerks. and you travellers, print out your reservation, with all the extras you will recieve, so everything will be clear at checkout. i am sorry, karinasol, but your "pequeno poder"attitude is doing no service to hotel playa mazatlan, on the contrary . and thank you

Room Tip: from past experience, i can say, as other travellers do : stay away from the side of the hotel where...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear valued guest (almo52)

I am writing in the hopes of letting you know the importance that we place on all of our guest comments, and the tremendous value that we see in clear and blunt opinions, especially those coming from our valued repeat guests, as we know that they are always well intended and based on previous experience with us. I would like to comment on your overlying statements separately:
- Better Margaritas!! I hear you loud and clear, all guest expect a good drink when they walk up to a bar, but when you’re in Mexico, a spectacular Margarita is paramount, they even wrote a song about it. Although we have the standard measuring systems in place, I will make an added effort to speak, train and supervise our bar managers and bar tenders, to make sure that they are doing everything correctly.
- Attitude at reception and Karina Sol. I am caught off guard in regards to your experience with both our front desk and in particular Karina Sol, she is a tenured front desk clerk and has had many training sessions in the area of service and quality. Because of her past record, I would go out on a limb and say that there must have been underlying personal issues that were coming to surface, as she has a consistently good track record. I will in any case present the claims made in the hopes of using them as a training opportunity and commitment to improve. In regards to the wheelchairs, we do in fact offer the use of both regular and electric wheelchairs of which we have a few. It is not common that they are all rented or lent out, but it can in some cases happen, this still does not lend enough excuse for someone employed by the hotel to not make you feel like they at least tried to assist you, and for this I apologize on the hotels and our staff’ behalf.
Again we thank you for your loyalty, and appreciation of our property and history. We will look forward to being of service to you and yours again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service to you.

Oshkosh, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We just got back from Mazatlan. Very cold there this year. Maybe a high of 78 during the day and about 40 at night. The heated pool was great during the day. The first night they put us in room 129 and against our better judgement we stayed there. The music from Joe's Oyster Bar was blasting until 4:58 A.M. when it finally quit. My husband went down to the front desk first thing in the morning and they switched us to room 3005, totally on the other side of the hotel. Very nice room and no complaints.Not many people around at all and many of the stores have closed up since we were there last. We found it safe to walk and go where ever we wanted.
We were told that the cruise ships are supposed to start coming back to Mazatlan in October and that should help their economy. Don't know the truth for sure some say that the cruise ships quit coming there because some people got robbed, others say it is because Mazatlan was charging the cruise ships six grand to dock for the day. Everyone was very friendly especially Alex in the gym. ver all a very good vacation at the Playa Mazatlan.

Room Tip: We had a ocean view room 3005. Other good rooms with ocean view are 3004, 1005, 1004 and any other r...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear valued guest (CheeseheadsII)

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your last stay with us and that we were able to accommodate your room change when requested. Although we have an ordinance for the level of music and the time at which the music has to stop, we sometimes cannot control what goes on next door. We will continue to work on resolving that issue and will point out that we have upgraded most of the units on the south side of the hotel to have double paned windows in an effort to counteract this problem. We appreciate your recommendations for travel and as well thank you for the kind comments about the status of our Port. Hopefully all the politics will get resolved and the cruise ships will again offer people the opportunity to come and visit this little piece of paradise that all us Mazatlecos and all of our guests get to enjoy.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of service in planning your next visit.

Seattle,WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I have been staying there for 9 years now. I have never had a complaint until now. We booked a double double room and didn't get one. I could have paid $10 a night less and got a better room with queen or king size ocean view. I was really disappointed this time, I think you are catering to the all inclusive and not the ones who come every year, just my opinion. I also know a couple that had booked their trip months ago and they did not get the room what they paid for. I don't know what your idea of double double is but mine is 4 nice beds in an upper floor with some room. I think maybe you should confer with the different online travel agencies and get things straightened out. I was disapponted in my acomandations this time, but I will be back. I love the hotel and the people, I just felt like I didn't get what I thought and paid for was top dollar for a room. We will be back, soon, usually try and come down twice a year. Guess I will have to call ahead and find out.what the room rates are.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skeeter320
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear valued guest (skeeter320)

I am writing in response to your comment about not being able to receive the room you expected as well as having the feeling that we cater only to all inclusive guests. First let me note that we are still very honored to have returning guest and the last thing that I want to hear is that you feel that we did not treat you as traditionally expected. I would love to have the opportunity to assist you personally in the selection of your room, so that we can make sure that it does not only meet, but exceed your expectations. Secondly we thank you for giving us an opportunity to change your mind during your next trip. We will continue to strive for excellence in service and although we have hit a couple of speed bumps along the way as we add options. I give you my personal promise that we will not forget or change what has made us successful. Please feel free to contact me direct.

Noblesville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was our 12th visit to Mazatlan and we have stayed at the Playa each time. It just gets better every year !!! The service is always great and the rooms are kept very clean with great views .The location of the Playa is perfect to the beach and gold zone resturants .

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear valued guest (steve s)

Thank you once again for yet another year of great memories, I think that this one will stick with me. It was great getting to know you and yours better and I look forward to having the opportunity next year to continue building the memories. I’m glad to hear you guys made it home safe. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct next year, so that I can make sure to “select” your room again.

Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

It is my fifth trip to the Playa and was accompanied by friends who had never experienced Mexico. The rustic charm of the hotel, the location, the staff and the room were as usual excellent. After a week of touring, sunning and enjoying the experience of kibitzing with Roberto and Henry on the beach has made it a great experience for them and all of what I have come to expect. A return trip is in the plans already!

Room Tip: An ocean room will give you waves of the water, a gaden room will give quiet, and a pool side room w...
1 Thank Alan M
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear valued guest (Alan M)

Thank you for your continued loyalty and support, I am proud and happy to hear that we have earned the opportunity to serve one of your referrals, and have already began to help in planning your next stay. We will look forward to serving you and yours. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service in setting this up for you.
Also, I love the way that you have segmented and recommended the hotel rooms, I might have to use it for some of our marketing!