“Feb 22, 2003”

GreenLeadersGold level
Oshkosh, WI
“Feb 22, 2003”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We just got back from Mazatlan. Very cold there this year. Maybe a high of 78 during the day and about 40 at night. The heated pool was great during the day. The first night they put us in room 129 and against our better judgement we stayed there. The music from Joe's Oyster Bar was blasting until 4:58 A.M. when it finally quit. My husband went down to the front desk first thing in the morning and they switched us to room 3005, totally on the other side of the hotel. Very nice room and no complaints.Not many people around at all and many of the stores have closed up since we were there last. We found it safe to walk and go where ever we wanted.
We were told that the cruise ships are supposed to start coming back to Mazatlan in October and that should help their economy. Don't know the truth for sure some say that the cruise ships quit coming there because some people got robbed, others say it is because Mazatlan was charging the cruise ships six grand to dock for the day. Everyone was very friendly especially Alex in the gym. ver all a very good vacation at the Playa Mazatlan.

Room Tip: We had a ocean view room 3005. Other good rooms with ocean view are 3004, 1005, 1004 and any other r...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear valued guest (CheeseheadsII)

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your last stay with us and that we were able to accommodate your room change when requested. Although we have an ordinance for the level of music and the time at which the music has to stop, we sometimes cannot control what goes on next door. We will continue to work on resolving that issue and will point out that we have upgraded most of the units on the south side of the hotel to have double paned windows in an effort to counteract this problem. We appreciate your recommendations for travel and as well thank you for the kind comments about the status of our Port. Hopefully all the politics will get resolved and the cruise ships will again offer people the opportunity to come and visit this little piece of paradise that all us Mazatlecos and all of our guests get to enjoy.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of service in planning your next visit.

ltvient@hotelplayamazatlan.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Seattle,WA
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I have been staying there for 9 years now. I have never had a complaint until now. We booked a double double room and didn't get one. I could have paid $10 a night less and got a better room with queen or king size ocean view. I was really disappointed this time, I think you are catering to the all inclusive and not the ones who come every year, just my opinion. I also know a couple that had booked their trip months ago and they did not get the room what they paid for. I don't know what your idea of double double is but mine is 4 nice beds in an upper floor with some room. I think maybe you should confer with the different online travel agencies and get things straightened out. I was disapponted in my acomandations this time, but I will be back. I love the hotel and the people, I just felt like I didn't get what I thought and paid for was top dollar for a room. We will be back, soon, usually try and come down twice a year. Guess I will have to call ahead and find out.what the room rates are.

1 Thank skeeter320
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear valued guest (skeeter320)

I am writing in response to your comment about not being able to receive the room you expected as well as having the feeling that we cater only to all inclusive guests. First let me note that we are still very honored to have returning guest and the last thing that I want to hear is that you feel that we did not treat you as traditionally expected. I would love to have the opportunity to assist you personally in the selection of your room, so that we can make sure that it does not only meet, but exceed your expectations. Secondly we thank you for giving us an opportunity to change your mind during your next trip. We will continue to strive for excellence in service and although we have hit a couple of speed bumps along the way as we add options. I give you my personal promise that we will not forget or change what has made us successful. Please feel free to contact me direct.

Noblesville, Indiana
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was our 12th visit to Mazatlan and we have stayed at the Playa each time. It just gets better every year !!! The service is always great and the rooms are kept very clean with great views .The location of the Playa is perfect to the beach and gold zone resturants .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear valued guest (steve s)

Thank you once again for yet another year of great memories, I think that this one will stick with me. It was great getting to know you and yours better and I look forward to having the opportunity next year to continue building the memories. I’m glad to hear you guys made it home safe. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct next year, so that I can make sure to “select” your room again.

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

It is my fifth trip to the Playa and was accompanied by friends who had never experienced Mexico. The rustic charm of the hotel, the location, the staff and the room were as usual excellent. After a week of touring, sunning and enjoying the experience of kibitzing with Roberto and Henry on the beach has made it a great experience for them and all of what I have come to expect. A return trip is in the plans already!

Room Tip: An ocean room will give you waves of the water, a gaden room will give quiet, and a pool side room w...
1 Thank Alan M
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear valued guest (Alan M)

Thank you for your continued loyalty and support, I am proud and happy to hear that we have earned the opportunity to serve one of your referrals, and have already began to help in planning your next stay. We will look forward to serving you and yours. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service in setting this up for you.
Also, I love the way that you have segmented and recommended the hotel rooms, I might have to use it for some of our marketing!

Regina, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Had a great time at this location. Restaurants were very good and the service was first class. Lots of amenities.....a great vacation. Really enjoyed the massage mid trip, just made it extra relaxing......

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear valued guest (Bryan R)

I am writing in appreciation for your time in making this comment, as well as the positive light that you shed on our property, service and amenities. We will look forward to being of service to you again soon.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan. Everyone was very helpful and cheerful and I would like to especially mention Celia in the front desk and Pedro and Julio, waiters at La Terraza. We had an oceanfront unit and could hear the ocean waves even with the sliding door closed...which we loved. Food at Casa Roberto and La Terraza was also good. We didn't have the buffet they offer daily but our friends enjoyed it. The female singer at La Terraza has a pleasant voice and I enjoyed her songs, esp. the old love songs which were my Grandma's favorites. We came to celebrate Valentine's Day and our wedding anniversary. We arrived on the last day of the Carnaval and the Malecon is walking distance from the hotel. Marcela gave a great hot stone massage. Great location. Perfect place for rest and relaxation.

Room Tip: Ocean front. Probably would have preferred top floor so you won't hear the chairs being dragged...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest (nikoslola)

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a positive comment about your experience here at the Playa Mazatlan Beach Hotel. I will personally congratulate Celia, Pedro and Julio for impacting your stay with their service. We will look forward to having the opportunity of being of service to you again in the near future.

Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We have been going to the Playa for over 10 years. It is like returning home. The staff are all so welcoming. The hotel itself is well kept and clean. They have made changes that include new restaurants. The new Italian restaurant provides superb ambiance with view of the ocean. The service is first class and thanks to the chef, Fernando the food is out of this world. Definitely a need to visit. The concierge, Elizabeth is front and center, ready to assist whenever and wherever possible. She has an warm infectious smile which makes you feel right at home. We enjoy sitting under the palapa on the sand and watching the waves, parasailing and kibitzing with the beach vendors. This year we took friends with us. They had a wonderful time and agreed that everything we told them about the Playa was true! We are already looking forward to next year!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice but the views are different. Ocean view has you looking out at the ocean and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest (donna r)

Thank you so much for your kind words, referral and continued loyalty to our resort and destination. As always it is a pleasure to have you and we will look forward to serving you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service in setting up your next trip. I will let Fernando know that you were impacted by his service and remember dinner at Georginis.