Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Plaza Gaviotas(Mazatlan)
Motel Marley(Mazatlan)
  • Beachfront
1,961 results
All reviewscasa robertogolden zonejoe's oyster barocean viewshrimp factoryzip lineitalian restaurantbeach servicebeach vendorsbeach areathe hotel is cleanhotel restaurantnorth sidemexican fiestaopen airmain poolcommon areas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband Steve and I have stayed at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan every year for the past 10 years, and I do not think of any hotel or city that I would rather be. We travel four months out of the year and this remains our favorite. The hotel is wonderful! From the check in until we leave; the service, cleanliness, staff, security, food, beach and the property itself is excellent and consistent. There are three pools, four restaurants and a new sports bar that has multiple huge flat screens with feeds to provide anything you would like watch. Not to mention live music and dance productions in the La Terraza nightly. There is free wifi which is a must for us throughout the hotel. The private beach, dotted with pulapas, and lounges make for a relaxing get away. It is centrally located in the Gold Zone with easy access to anything and everything you might want. This a place where if you come and stay, you will always want to return.
When we tell people we are going to Mazatlan they express concern for our safety. My response is always the same.... I have never felt any fear for my safety in Mazatlan and that is more than I can say for different cities I have visited in the US; which is all 50.

Room Tip: Any room is great depending on your price and preference.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank orrev
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear valued guest (orrev)

I want to personally thank you for your continued loyalty and support of myself, my family, my company and even the city. We look forward to having ya’ll back every year and I truly appreciate your vote of confidence in our brand. I’ll point out that there are still a few restaurants for you guys to find if you have only seen four. So keep your eyes out or ask me for a tour, I will be happy to make sure you get to experience all of the new amenities that we have created. In regards to your comments on safety, all I can say is thank you. The miss-perception of what has occurred and what is actually happening in the city are completely of track, having guests such as your selves be advocates for our port, is truly inspiring. Thank you.
Don’t ever hesitate to contact me direct with any questions or travel plans, I would love to be of service.

Best Wishes and Safe Travels,

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My month stay is coming to a end, it has been a great time and we will miss this place. The staff make this place, the owners actually care and that's what good holidays are made of. Front desk was the most helpful I have encountered with a concierge that had every answer and who I might add took time, after hours to show us the best parade watching location.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Dear valued guest (Travellingfool2013)

I am writing to thank you for your kind words. It is always a pleasure to hear that we are moving in the right direction and that the efforts put forth by our staff are being well received. We look forward to having you come back next year and hopefully at least once in between. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of service setting everything up for you.

We wish you the best,

Reviewed February 13, 2013

wow this place was great we had our own resort for 2 days eat anything and as much off the menu what a deal. by saturday the locals arrived for carnival.we had a blast with them.even left resort and went to a bullfight .went downtown to market in mazatlan.never ever felt unsafe.hotel is top of the line .food is awesome.service was excellant.best beach of them all.get a ocean view room amazing.mazatlan carnival was stunning.never saw so many people come out to a event.i was right in the middle enjoying every second.my wife and i had a great time in mazatlan and will be going back for christmas.it is what you make it.this resort is beautiful clean and stunning.see you in december playa.dont be fooled book now mazatlan is safe and good food and good people. came home feb 12th 2013

Room Tip: ocean view
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear valued guest (imperial_13)

I would like to personally thank you for your wonderful comments and promise to return, all I can do is agree with your comments about the people of Mazatlan, and the various amazing amenities that our city offers. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of service in setting up your next trip, we will look forward towards having the opportunity of serving you and your family, and once again helping to create unforgettable memories.

Best Wishes and Safe Travels,

Reviewed February 12, 2013

. What did we think of the resort. Well the resort has the best beach in the area it is very clean and nice. When we arrived I asked about the fridge that I requested and I also had a code from Abril Jiménez at the resort that I had contacted and told I needed it for medication. They said at the front desk oh we have a waiting list that you need to go on it I explained to them I needed it for meds they didn't care. The next morning when we met with the Sun wing rep I explained to him he had no more luck than I did. So I have to toss a couple hundred dollars in insulin not impressed. From what I can see it is far from all inclusive it filled up with Mexican people every couple days and lots of Canadian people that just rent rooms and eat out or order from the resort menu. And now the food it was below average the buffet was very small and the food was never hot and pretty much the same most days chicken, beef, fish cold pasta . I owned a restaurant at one time I watched a girl on the grill take tongs for raw chicken and use them to pickup cooked chicken that is a no no. Any other resorts we have been at the head chef has always checked food temp in the trays. Did not see that at this resort. Serve in the buffet was slow and it was never full and they had lots of worker standing around and talking most morning you would be finished breakfast before coffee arrived our last morning we didn’t even get coffee we had breakfast with a couple from Canada they went by us to serve three Mexican guys? They will not make it at all inclusive if they do not change. Both the Mexican an Italian Restaurant were very good you can tell they are use to paying customers. I also have not seen so many people sick coming from both ends at least eight couple my wife included one couple from Edmonton also most couldn't,t fly. Would I go back for sure to Mazatlan maybe not to Playa Mazatlan if I did I would not go all inclusive we really liked the area and can not say enough about your great service. Forgive my grammar and spelling. I am going to post on trip advisor something I do not normally do but people should know some things the fridge was a big thing for me and they had them because we seen them moving them . They almost seem to cater to the Mexican people a lot more. They even missed making up our room one day and it was one of the less busy days. If you do not mine eating out then it is not a bad resort. If you need a fridge and travel with meds then good luck.

Room Tip: Do Not choose room 320 it is noisy most nights and I paid extr for it
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank robm897

Dear robm897,

I am writing in response to both a letter that we received from you, as well as a comment that we received on your behalf on Trip Advisor. I would like to personally comment on your experience in the hopes of gaining some clarity:

1 – “Well the resort has the best beach in the area it is very clean and nice.” We appreciate your comments as we constantly strive to improve upon the property and maintain the standards that we feel our guest enjoy.
2 – “When we arrived I asked about the fridge you requested and I also had a code from Abril Jiménez at the resort that I had contacted and told I needed it for medication.” I did receive this request and personally confirmed that it would be available, as the importance was specified directly to me and the front desk by Miss. Jimenez. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that this caused you as well as the expense. Note that it was not by lack of desire to help on behalf of our employees, but more so from lack authority to make the calls that needed to be made, in order to satisfy this need that “we” had confirmed could be fulfilled. For this I take personal responsibility and offer my contact information in the hopes that would could speak and acknowledge some form of resolve.
3 –“They said at the front desk oh we have a waiting list that you need to go on it I explained to them I needed it for meds they didn't care.” The hotel has a waiting list policy in regards to our refrigerators due to the small quantity that we have on hand, outside of those already in room categories which include one. For this reason a waiting list is created in the hopes of trying to meet everyone’s’ needs, obviously your experience was an example of the need to purchase more (which we have). There was a communication error in putting you on the list as you had reserved the machine many days prior to your arrival. I have taken action on this matter and I am currently retaining a follow up process to ensure that it does not happen again. I would again note that it was not by a lack of subservient desire from our employees, but by a stern follow through of the Hotel’s policy that this issue occurred.
4 –“ From what I can see it is far from all inclusive it filled up with Mexican people every couple days and lots of Canadian people that just rent rooms and eat out or order from the resort menu.” I am not 100% clear on this comment, but I would note that “yes” we cater to both national and international markets at varied and sometimes same times of the year, I would think that when visiting a country abroad meeting people from that country is expected. In regards to people eating out of the property, note that we cater to both All inclusive and traditional clients, hence they are allowed to eat at any of our restaurants or outside of the hotel.
5- “And now the food it was below average the buffet was very small and the food was never hot and pretty much the same most days chicken, beef, fish cold pasta” I can ensure you that the menu varies on a daily basis, this can be reviewed on our website to ensure that you and taste variety, I will note that as is the case in “most” all inclusive resorts, there are only so many kinds of “foods” that can be served, even though we vary ingredients, seasoning and preparation style, some people might only notice that the protein in being repeated (IE: Smoked fish, breaded fish or Steak Fajitas, Carne asada). Although the size of the buffet is limited, it has catered to hundreds of guests at a time for over 60 years, with a consistent flow of repeat clients. We have in fact though built a completely different buffet line inside our “Salon Venado” which will allow for a large portion of the people to opt between one restaurant or the other for the buffet service. It seems you might have been here while we were in the process of remodeling it, as you might have noticed on one of our posters. I again apologize to you for this problem, as I am hoping that you will give us another opportunity to change your mind about our property, food and service.
6 –“ I owned a restaurant at one time I watched a girl on the grill take tongs for raw chicken and use them to pickup cooked chicken that is a no no. Any other resorts we have been at the head chef has always checked food temp in the trays. Did not see that at this resort.” Please note that this is a comment that concerns me, as we are the first hotel to obtain a “Hygiene” award in Mazatlan, and we have retained it for over 16 years consecutively, I am sure there was a miss-interpretation of the situation, as this is something that we are policing on a daily basis. In regards to our chef, he is actually on premises daily and is always doing the afore mentioned rounds, as well as we have multiple Sioux chefs doing the same, I would point out that unless visiting the restaurant at varied hours, during different types of service, and for extended periods of times, you might not have the opportunity to “see them” doing this task. I would be happy to personally show you around the facilities and our kitchens, if you would like to learn more about how we manage our kitchens.
7-“ I also have not seen so many people sick coming from both ends at least eight couple my wife included one couple from Edmonton also most couldn't fly.” I show concern for this statement as well, as it eludes to the hotel perhaps being responsible, again I would note the level of quality with which our food is handled and prepared. As the operations manager of this hotel I am constantly in contact with our International guests and kept up to date on any reports being submitted to our concierge or infirmary, none of the people you mention came forward to request any assistance, so we would have had no way of either assisting them or making sure that they were treated accordingly. Are these people that were at the hotel? Where else had they eaten?
8 –“Would I go back for sure to Mazatlan maybe not to Playa Mazatlan if I did I would not go all inclusive we really liked the area” We are saddened to hear that your experience with us was not one to remember in a positive light, and we would love to have the opportunity to change your mind about who we are, note that after 60+ years in business we have had the opportunity to boast 85% return client satisfaction, yet we strive to have 100%.

I again apologize for your inconvenience and I thank you for your candid opinion and observations over areas of possible improvement. I will continue to strive for excellence and if we have the opportunity to serve you and your family once again, I ask that you please do not hesitate to contact me directly with your needs and concerns.

Best wishes,

Reviewed February 8, 2013

This was our first visit to Mazatlan so we were unsure about a lot of things -- however, after our 3 week stay at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan and our walking and "pneumonia" tours of the city we are now very sure that we will be back to spend more time at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan.

All of the staff at the hotel were very helpful, friendly, and attentive to our needs and questions. The location of the hotel is close to perfect if not perfect. The beach is sandy, clean, and great for walking. The sound of the surf at night in our ocean front room was wonderful and we were never bothered by any noise from the hotel or from surrounding establishments.The hotel is clean and well maintained. From what we saw it seems that the owners are not only maintaining a great family hotel, but are also renovating the hotel to keep it in step with the times.

We were "all inclusive" and found the restaurants to be clean, the food great (try the corn pie at Robertos), and the service was excellent. The bar drinks were just fine and the beer was cold - wish we were there right now!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear valued guest (cincopesosworth)

I am writing to personally thank you for your kind words about our staff, facility, location, service and continued improvements on the hotel. I am glad to hear that we were able to create a memorable experience that will allot us the opportunity to be of service to you and yours once again. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service to you when planning your next stay.

Best Wishes and Safe travels,