“One of my favorite places in the world”

Ranked #5 of 81 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
Riverside, California
“One of my favorite places in the world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Once a year since I was a little kid I have been staying at the Playa with my family, I love this place and can't wait to go back, it's been to long since my last stay. The food is the best, the staff is the best. Now that I have children of my own I would like to take them there and continue the tradition.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank davecarreno
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear guest (davecarreno)

I would like to personally thank you for your continued loyalty to the hotel, we feel honored that we have the opportunity to continue building memories for you and yours. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any questions that you have.

ltvient@hotelplayamazatlan.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
carlsbad, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

We spent Christmas at the Playa as we have done in the past. It's always such a fun experience there, the rooms are clean and the ocean views are amazing. The only down side is the music in La Terrazza seems to go on forever, sometimes until 2:00AM, and some of the newer restaurants that we were anxious to try never seemed to be open. Overall, a wonderful place to spend Christmas and the Playa definitely has the best hamburguesas in town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest (penibal)

I would like to begin by thanking you for posting such a positive comment about our hotel as well as your continued loyalty to our brand. I would also like to apologize for any inconvenience caused by the music in La Terraza, as you know Mexican people on the whole love to celebrate and be rowdy, the Holiday seasons (X-mas) is definitely amongst one of the top 3 events for this kind of events. I would be happy to help you in selecting a room away from this area during this season if I can be of service in resolving this issue. I also note your comment on our specialty restaurants; we are currently rotating the dates in which they are opening as well as the hours in which they open. This has in turn caused some confusion with our guests and I am in the process of correcting, so that you may enjoy all of our dinning opportunities next time you visit.

Sherwood Park, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We just recently returned from Hotel Playa Mazatlan and once again had an incredible experience. We have stayed at this hotel 3 times now and each and every experience has exceeded our expectations. The beach is beautiful, the staff are so kind and accomodating and the rooms are clean and spacious. The hotel is close to all the ammenities in town where you can either walk or take a very cheap taxi. We always feel safe and have never had a problem. We took our 19 and 22 yr old daughters there for Christmas and they had a blast. Hermes, Marcos, Rudolfo, Regino, and Jesus were outstanding! We are already planning a return trip in February and I can hardly wait!

Room Tip: Make sure you get an oceanview - nothing like waking up to the crashing waves. Your room is only st...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank xmnbot
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear valued guest (candysteve)

I would like to personally thank you for your comments, vote of confidence and promise to return. It is always pleasing to hear when we gain the trust of a return client. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service or assistance in planning your next trip. I will personally congratulate Hermes, Marcos, Rodolfo, Regino and Jesus on the impact their service has caused.

Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed several nights at this large, clean hotel on the beach in Mazatlan. At first we stayed in a lower-priced garden view room, but actually they gave us an ocean view. The room was clean and comfortable though there was some noise from the corridor outside. The beach is flat and long with no big dropoff so you don't get a lot of undertow, and you can sit out there under a palapas and get drinks brought from the bar - it's very relaxing. The view of the islands is pretty and the sunsets are great. One little secret we didn't find out for a few days is that at the south end of the property there is a really fun built water feature with caves to walk through, stairs up to a jacuzzi (not heated but clean and kind of fun to find), and man-made cenote, and above it all, a zipline (which you have to pay to use). This is a really fun area to explore for kids or adults! We didn't do the fiesta dinner/show but looked at it and it looked pretty good. The rest of the food here was decidely mediocre so we ate elsewhere. We like the Allegro coffeehouse best for breakfast and the italian place next door was good for dinner. We left for a couple days to stay in town then came back here and upgraded to an ocean view room which was bigger and nicer than the first room - worth the cost. All in all I would stay here again if I were going to visit Mazatlan again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank travhappy
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear valued guest (travhappy)

I would like to personally thank you for your recommendation to stay here at the hotel, I am glad to hear that you traveled all the way from Oregon and felt a relaxing safe ambience in and around the hotel as well as the rest of the city. I will continue to strive for excellence in the quality of our food so that you may come back and have a better experience. Please feel free to contact me in future if I may personally be of service to you.

Spokane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have never really stayed at an all inclusive before. The food was good-service was very good, and we had a great time at the pools (met a ton of Canadians!) and the barbeques on the beach were nice. In many ways it reminded me of a cruise-you have to be somewhere at a certain time, and you are only allowed certain restaurants on certain evenings (which we were not aware of) so we missed out on a couple nice meals and there are reservations-which, for me in Mexico, is not why I am vacation. I went with my boyfriend, I think it is great if you are with a large group, particularly families, so the kids can eat at the buffet and when they want. Again, it was very nice, but too long for me to stay in one place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SpokaneWendi
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear valued guest (SpokaneWendi)

I am writing in response to your comments. I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to let the world know about your experience at our hotel. It is important to me, as a member of the management staff, to make sure all of our guest leave with a positive experience and unforgettable memory about your stay with us. I would like to offer my personal assistance during your next visit, so that I may correct any misperceptions you might have about the hotel (for example: the reservation) we do not require advance reservations into any of our restaurants, unless there is a special event (IE: Brenster and Carrum) outside of these events which we host once a month, everything else is open to your convenience. In regards to the availability of restaurants every day during low season we do fluctuate what restaurants we open and at what hours these are open. I will continue to work on a strategy that gives you full availability and communication of these schedules. I hope that we have won the opportunity to be of service to you and yours again in the near future.

Best Wishes and Safe travels
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

is one of the best hotels we stayed in quality of service better ono presonal very clean very friendly and all-inclusive service they recommend we return to the same hotel, the beach very well and the treatment of waiter alferdo especil well in that we waited on the beach and all the staff very friendly if back in 2013 ..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank claudio q
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear valued guest (Claudio q)

I am writing to you in appreciation for your gracious comments about our property and the service offered by our staff. In particular, that of our beach waiter Alfredo, I will personally congratulate and thank him on your behalf. We will look forward to being of service to you and your family in the up and coming months. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service to you personally.

Regards,
044-669-913-4754
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Another fabulous trip to my favorite beach and hotel. The hotel is making some changes (all inclusive now available), but the thing that hasn't changed is the wonderfully kind and friendly people at the hotel. All you have to do is ask, and it's done. Great beach to lay back and read books, or lots of activities at the hotel and nearby if that's your thing. I travel solo and never worry about the hotel or hitting the street and going out to dinner at night. I hope to get back for a visit as soon as possible in 2013!

Room Tip: Ask for the north tower for best views and location
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Nancy M
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear valued guest (Nancy M)

I would like to personally thank you for your gracious comment about our facilities, location and service. We will look forward to being of service to you next year. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I can be of service.

Best wishes and Safe travels,