“another wonderful holiday at the Playa Mazatlan”

Ranked #5 of 81 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
Regina,SK
“another wonderful holiday at the Playa Mazatlan”
Reviewed March 3, 2012

We just got back from our 13th stay at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan. As usual it did not dissappoint. We made our reservation through their website and got a great deal stayed 14 nights and paid for 10 nights. We booked the Deluxe Oceanview room category and the room was just beautiful. The beach was groomed to perfection by Felipe every moring and had great beach service from Humberto everyday. When we arrived we were greeted by the bellboy Vincente who is always smiling and makes sure to acknowledge you during your stay. Everyone who works there works as a team so the hotel runs efficiently and is immaculately kept. We used the gym every morning and were fortunate enough that the hotel provides you with a free trainer Alejandro who is a dedicated employee. The hotel also offers spa services for an additional charge. The pools were clean and warm. We went to the Sinolese buffet and show which is on Thursday nights at the hotel restaurant. The food was great and the dancers were excellent. This is a great idea in these down times. It only was 120 peso's per person. We will continue to patronize this establishment in the future. On a side note, we believe Mazatlan is really working hard to improve its image and we never felt uncomfortable during this stay or our stay in December. We look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Look on the hotel website, there are several room categories.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Dear Valued guest (texaslonghorn306)

I am so glad to hear that you are able to continue your loyal yearly visits to this your home away from home the Hotel Playa Mazatlan; I will personally pass on your note to Vicente, Felipe, Humberto and Alex as I am sure they will be happy to hear about their mention on Trip Advisor. As a member of the family of owners and management staff, I strive on hearing feedback from our guest, and when all I hear is positive, I know that we are moving in the right direction. We truly appreciate your continued business, and positive note on our home town. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our show, we varied the theme every Thursday and I am your MC, so I know we will meet in the near future. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service to you.

PS: I have to point out that I am a huge SOONERS fan!! Let's go sooners!!! ;P

Best wishes and Safe travels!

044-669-913-4754

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
mexico
Reviewed February 29, 2012

i keep forgetting to review this hotel, we stay as often as the price allows! we just got it last sunday for 710 pesos! usually it is twice the price. why we like it?: location, right on the beach, spacious rooms, immaculately clean, restaurant and bar right next to the beach, friendly, friendly, friendly staff. best breakfast buffet around. and many other eating places to walk to nearby: vitorios, charlies, yoopers, panama, to name a few. pakring right on the premises. i haighly recommend playa mazatlan.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Dear valued guest (almo52)

I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to post a comment about the Hotel Playa Mazatlan, as a member if the family of owners and one of the executive managers to the property, I find it extremely fulfilling to receive this kind of feedback. We are currently working on various price quotes to stimulate the travel of all economic sectors to our resorts, in the hopes of allowing more people to enjoy the Playa experience. I personally thank you for picking us over the multiple other beautiful resorts available in Mazatlan, and I would like to offer my personal assistance in future, so that I may guarantee to find a room type and price point that will fit your needs.

Best Wishes and Safe Travels,

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed February 27, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a vacation in Mazatlan. We stayed for four days in the fifth-floor Villa Hermosa room at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan, and it was fabulous! The room was quite big, with a comfy king size bed, a mini-kitchen, a bathroom with shower that had a window looking onto the ocean, and best of all a wrap-around deck with two walls of sliding glass doors, and spectacular views. The southern portion of the balcony looked over the hotel's grounds, the beach and Valentino's in the distance, and the western portion looked straight out over the ocean with amazing sunsets. And at no charge, the room was stocked daily with bottles of water, four pops, and four beers!

The service we had was excellent. Wait staff in the restaurant were speedy and friendly, the concierge was extremely helpful when we wanted to confirm our trip back to the airport, and the maid service was thorough and timely.

The grounds are lovely, with a dozen or more palapas dotting the beach, and three awesome pools -- at least two of which are heated. This hotel does not feel like a big high rise, It's got charm and character, just five to six stories, yet all the amenities you would want on a beach vacation.

One more important point -- the beach in front of the hotel is second to none. We strolled up and down the beach a few times, and in front of some hotels, the beach becomes a tiny spit during high tide. The beach here was soft, wide, and near perfect.

Room Tip: The Villa Hermosa room is highly recommended.
1 Thank zippyland
Dear valued guest (zippyland)

Thank you so much for your incredible comments about our facility, location and staff; I will personally pass on your message to Elizabeth (concierge) as well, as I know she will be flattered to hear that she was mentioned on Trip advisor. As a member of the family of owners and executive management staff I am ecstatic to hear that the changes and direction in which we are going are being well received and noticed. Your input and what hotel rooms to select, seem well thought out and educated, I appreciate you recommending us. Please feel free to contact directly in future if I can be of service, we look forward to your next visit and meeting you personally.

Best wishes and Safe travels,

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We have stayed with Playa Mazatlan Hotel 3 years in a row. We have always had a great time. CLEAN...the hotel is always clean, neat and they are always upgrading. Staff is attentive. We like the beach walk. Food is very good. Yes, it was quieter this year...that is too bad as we find Mazatlan safe, affordable and a great place to rejuvinate. Oh... and we caught a Blue Marlin AND a Sail Fish! As for this Canadian, the Playa Mazatlan Hotel continues to be on our top list. Next year we intend on bringing the entire family!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest (Robert S),

Please allow me to begin by thanking you for your time and consideratio in making this comment; it is of utmost importance for us at the Hotel to learn from the postings of our guest, and when we get the opoprtunity to receive such great comments it is always flatering. As a local I am glad to hear that you where able to experience our world class fishing, catching a Marlin/Sail Fish or billed fish of any kind is a one of a kind experience and i am sure you can now be called a "true angler". We look forward to having the opportunity of creating a unique experience for you and your entire family next year and as well appreciate your continued loyalty to our brand. Please feel free to contact me directly if i can be of any assistance or service in processing your reservation and facilitating your travel plans.I look forward to personally meeting you.

Best Wishes and Safe Travels,

Rancho Mirage, California
Reviewed February 19, 2012

This is by far the best hotel I've ever stayed at. I am finally getting around to a review after 11 trips to this hotel. My wife and I were married at this hotel in December 2009 the hotel made everything so simple for our wedding we stayed in a junior suite which was 1 of the renovated rooms at the time it was perfect a small fridge a microwave kingsize bed and a oceanview on the 3rd floor. From the minute you arrive you are greeted by the best bellman around there what really make your vacation start just right, they can help you get to all the best restaraunts right from the lobby in a poulmania.....a golf cart style taxi!!so much fun. Then there's the beach in my opinion the best in mazatlan with a waiter named Humberto this guy works his tail off you will appreciate him right away I have never seen someone so on point with there job. This hotel will always mean the world to my wife and I. There's. Something special about it the staff are the reason we keep returning from top to bottom this is our paradise!! We just booked the villa Hermosa room for this Christmas can not wait to return to our second home after 3 years!!

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank mobius74
Calgary
Reviewed February 18, 2012

After staying at the Playa Mazatlan 30 yrs ago we decided to return for our 45th anniversary.We were not disappointed. The hotel is not the run of the mill big box. It is full of mexican flavor, large enough to feel spacious but small enough so you don,t have to walk miles to get to the beach or pool or dining area. The beach is the best in all Mazatlan. Sand so thick and clean (they rake it) and a large number of palapas available. The pool was heated and like a bathtub and was certainly enjoyed. The staff was very friendly and helpful and remembered everything you told them. Our waiter always remembered my husband liked french fries rather than mashed potatoes. Everything was so clean. I swear they wash the lobby floor 10 times a day. We found the pillows to be a little hard but after asking for softer ones we had them right away. There were a lot of things closed due to the economy but we managed quite well. Instead of the large Fiesta they put on .a mini version and it was wonderful. Some shops around hotel closed but still lots to do . Live music and dancing at night, open air restaurant, great sunsets, Will certainly return and recommend this hotel very highly.

Room Tip: We had an ocean view above the restaurant and some nights the music went quite late but we enjoyed i...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Dear valued guest (CaroleY),

Thank you so much for your continued loyalty to our Hotel and for taking the time to write such a positive comment, it's these kinds of comments that keep me coming back to TripAdvisor every day. I actually think I might have seen you guys dancing up a storm in your balcony, as I recall seeing a couple dancing on the third floor a few weeks back. I will definitely take in to consideration the type of pillows being used and I will try and see about making a change by your next stay. Please feel free to contact me direct in future if I can be of any assistance.

Best wishes and safe travels,

British Columbia
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We were very impressed by the Playa Mazatlan. It is an authentic hotel with a distinct character, rather than a generic big box on the beach. The scale and layout were intimate despite the number of rooms. Yet the hotel itself felt spacious. The staff were attentive and friendly but not interferingly so. The location was ideal- a wide clean beach yet reasonably close to the old town. Quality Mexican music was played most evenings. A good sized warm pool plus smaller pools. We found it provided a lovely mix of Mexican ambience and north american amenities . It is unfortunate that Mazatlan as a whole has been badly hit because of safety concerns and the recession. We felt very safe at all times. I am not at all surprised at the number of returning visitors. And would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Our oceanfront room was great -only noise was the surf!
1 Thank freyastark
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Dear valued guest (Freyastark),

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a comment about the resort on Tripadvisor. As a member of the Family of owners and Operations manager for the Hotel I take pride in hearing such positive comments about the facility and its staff, I am sure my father and grandmother who have designed the place, will love to hear that their attention to detail and respect for space and privacy have been well received by clients that have traveled so far to visit us. I would like to as well offer my personal assistance if needed in future, in the hopes of facilitating the process of making a reservation as well as to have the opportunity to meet you in person.

Again thank you for your posting, your business and what we hope becomes a continued tradition.

Best wishes and safe travels,