“The Countdown Begins "The Sisters" are coming in Memory of MOM!”

Ranked #3 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 25, 2012

This will be our 10th Anniversary of coming to The Playa. We enjoy the friendly staff. The feeling of being safe and secure. The rooms are very nice, clean, and comfortable. The view of the ocean and sunsets from our deck is beautiful. Food is great in the resturaunt or on the beach. The beach is sandy and clean, raked every morning. Dancing in the open air Ballroom every night to live music is so fun! Shopping and eating different places are all within walking distance in the Golden Zone. You can also relax around the different pools.
I visit with Lance and he makes sure we are well taken care of. We were surprised last year to come to our room with a huge bouquet of flowers and card in memory of our Mother! Lance also was honored to make a Shrine on "All Souls Day" in memory of our Mother and even sent me pictures! Never have I been to a hotel that makes you feel so special.
The Staff is awesome, they greet you with a smile...and actually even REMEMBER you! Not sure if that's a good or bad thing...lol! We just love to have a good time. Four Sisters enjoying the memory of mom in a beautiful place. We miss her dearly, but know she is with us in Spirit.
See you all in few weeks! Love n' Laughter,
"The Sisters" Deb, Rita, Donna, and Lori from Minnesota and Alaska

Room Tip: We enjoy the west end of the hotel...it is quiet and with an ocean view room the sunsets are gorgeou...
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

Hey Prenzlow Family,

As always it is great to hear from you ladies, thank you for your continued good comments and positive postings, it is great to hear that the efforts are well received. I look forward to seeing you ladies soon.

Regards,

044-669-913-4754

Write a ReviewReviews (1,888)

Reviewed January 24, 2012

returned to canada from a 2 week vacation at the playa mazatlan... was in an updated room with 2 great and comfortable queen size beds oceanview.... the staff of the playa are excellent. always friendly and attentive... alfredo was our waiter many times at the restaurant and beach.. he is great... cant say enough about this property.. this is my second home..
if you are looking for a lovely quiet and clean property and excellent location in the golden zone.. stay here.. you will not be disappointed... my sons first trip there and he wants to go back .. he enjoyed the playa immensely...

thanks to all the great staff of the hotel playa mazatlan.. till i see you again..

mucho gracias...

Room Tip: oceanview and in the tower... is the best....
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank catlady051
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2012

Dear valued guest (Catlady051),

Thank you so much for your positive feedback and continued loyalty to our Hotel, I am glad to hear that you are starting to travel with the Family; we look forward to seeing you in your next trip.

Reviewed January 23, 2012

My third year in a row at the "Playa" and I look forward to my fourth. Wonderful location in the Gold Zone, great staff and food and all round it is a great place to stay when you are in Mazatlan... The only things that are killer are the Margarittas !!

I have been travelling to Mexico for the last 20 years and never had a problem. Don't let the hypocritcal press stop you from visiting Mexico. They sensationalize the issues in tourist Mexico for ratings. More negative activity happens in Vancouver than Mazatlan for example and you won't hear anything about that in the foreign press ??

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lord B
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2012

Dear valued guest (Lord B),

Let me begin by thanking you deeply for your comment in regards to the safety and "sensationalization of the media", I have been working hard both as a local and a business man here to work against the negative press and promote the true Mexico, with all of its folklore, culture and history, to hear that at least one guest agrees with me is enough to make it worthwhile. As well let me thank you for your continued loyalty to our resort, I too am a fan of the Margarittas.

Please feel free to contact me direct in future if I can be of any assistance in planning your next trip.

Reviewed December 22, 2011

I've had a chance to visit many properties around the world and was quite pleased with this place. It has an interesting history - one of the staff told me about how this started as the FIRST beach resort in Mazatlan. Today, it's still a very quiet and meticulously clean hotel. I know the food tastes great at their beachside restaurant, but also noticed that the locals business persons also enjoy going there which was a nice confirmation.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank LAcyclist
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2012

Dear valued guest; (LAcyclist)

I am writing in response to your recent comment on Tripadvisor, I would like to begin by thanking you for visiting my home town and my family’s business. It is always great to hear positive feedback about our Hotel and that our family of staff where able to provide you with memorable service. I would invite you to look us up on the internet and learn more about the History of the Hotel, I find it a very interesting story, but then of course we are talking about my great grandfather as a founder and later on, my grandfather and father, and as you probably know, everyone loves to read about their family.

I hope that you have plans to visit us again soon, and if so, I would invite you to feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service. I would love to help you plan your next trip to Mazatlan, and get to meet you personally.

With great respect,

Reviewed December 11, 2011

My husband and I have been staying at the "Playa" for years and just returned. We asked and received a room upgrade with a wonderful wrap around patio so we could enjoy the sun and shade all day. The room was very clean as usual but the amenities we have enjoyed in the past were not consistent to what type of room this was, deluxe. We had to ask for menu's, we had to ask to have the room cleaned, we had to ask for toilet paper and extra coffee. We had a different maid everyday so I had to leave a note to ask for anything, in the past we had the same maid and she remembered what we liked and had it available (we tip very well). We did notice the service was very slow in the restaurant and bar. We love this hotel so much, everyone is always so pleasant so we do make the best of it.
It made us sad to see our favorite bar, Anthony's, closed. We did find some real "treasures". You must go to Christys across the street. Roberto and Mitsui were awesome and so was the food. They have ESPN in English!! We also recommend Pancho's and Twisted Mama's. Read the free newspaper, Pacific Pearl for some great articles.
We love Mazatlan and the Playa, so we will return next December and enjoy our stay as always!!
Happy Holidays,
J & O

Room Tip: Ask for Room 3002 (corner rooms have wrap around patios)
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank VegasGal55_10
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2012

Dear guest, (VegasGal55_10),

I am writing in response to a comment that you submitted to TripAdvisor, I would like to begin by thanking you for your continued loyalty to our hotel, kind words and continued travel to visit our beloved Mazatlan. As well I would like to thank you for pointing out issues with consistency, we very much value the opinions of our guest and having a loyal client point out areas that we need to continue to focus on improving. Again we appreciate your comments and will do our best to retain good practices and continue to improve in the areas of opportunity.

As a side note, I would like to mention that I feel all of your recommendations to our future guests are good ones, as I am an a big fan of all of the above recommendations, I would also like to point out that we have in the last year built a sports bar within the hotel premises with access to American sports packages, I hope you find this change exciting and attractive, and that you will perhaps allow us to entertain and serve you next time you feel the need to watch ESPN in English!!

Best wishes,

Reviewed December 4, 2011

My wife and I have been staying at the Playa every year since 1983. Our three kids and their families have all been here as well. The staff have always been friendly and helpful, and all speak english well !!
We have visited other hotels with friends who have timeshares and in my opinion, they don't compare to the Playa for staff friendlyness and in most cases are not nearly as clean!!
The big plus is the best beach for swiming in Mazatlan !!!!!!!!!!
Our last stay was the 17th. to the 27th. of Nov. 2011 and will be back in Feb. 2011.
Vern and Barb Sandmann Moses Lake, Wa.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Vernon S
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2011

Dear Vern and Barb,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great comment about our place; as always it was great seeing you, I must say I did not receive your list of recommendations this year and they where sorely missed. We look forward to seeing you again next year and we hope you guys can bring the girls and rest of the family with you again, please keep me posted if I can be of any service and I look forward to seeing you soon.

PS: Thank again for your continued loyalty to our Hotel.

Reviewed November 11, 2011

I have been staying at Hotel Playa Mazatlan for over 60 years, my parents took me there when I was 12 or 13 years old. It was small thenonly 25 or 30 rooms and very inexpensive and included all 3 meals. An aside; as I write this review it is 11:11am on 11/11/11. WOW Anyway back to Playa...Senior George, the founder and his family still own it. He was good friends with my Dad way back. The Playa has grown by leaps and bounds and is now one of the prenmier places to stay while in Mazatlan. Beautiful beach just across from some islands for a great view. They have a Mexican Fiesta every Sunday night with fireworks and all. Their excellent resturant is open for all 3 meals and they have a dance floor and music every night. In the resturant you can sit under roof or out in the sun or stars with 10-15 tables right nest to the beach. Service is great, never had a bad meal or drink there. Try it, you will not be disappointed, I promise

Room Tip: You can sit in one of about 30 rocking chairs and "people watch" or got to one of 2 or 3 p...
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Mickey S
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

Dear guest (Mickey S)

I am writing in response to your posting in regards to your lifetime of travel to my families resort. It is always a pleasure to hear from our loyal guests, especially when it’s a family with multiple generations of travel here. I can not being to appreciate enough for your continued loyalty and kind words, it is postings like this that make my day. I must also mention that I would love to hear more about your years of travel here, I am in the process of putting together an E-album of guests over the years and I would love to have your input so we can give credit to your family for helping us build memories.
I have attached my contact information so that you may feel free to contact me direct during your next stay; you mention your father was good friends with my grandfather, as the fourth generation of Vient / George' here at the Hotel, I would love to continue that friendship for generations to come. I hope this letter finds you well and I look forward to seeing you soon.