Tripadvisor
Inbox
Search
Open today: 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Amazing day on the pacific!

Wow! If you want a great fishing experience in Mazatlan..these are the guys to go with! They picked... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
aronm844
Saskatoon, Canada
via mobile
Awesome Fishing and great guys to deal with

A1327TCjamieb

Recommended experiences in and around Mazatlan
from $239.00
from $51.29
from $56.42
More Info
All reviews alfredo tuna these guys sea turtles fishing trip charter boat striped marlin knew what they were doing great trip kurt bait mate capt boats dorado circled crew
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Kurt and Bill where awesome and easy to deal with. Kurt was fast at replying to all emails to set up the first fishing trip for dec 24th. They made arrangements to have us picked up and dropped off at the hotel. The boat was excellent and very clean. All the gear was clean and up to date. The captain and first mate where really friendly and answered all the question we had. The first day we went out caught come tuna and a Mahi mahi lost a marlin. When we got back to the marine I emailed Kurt again to see if he had any more spots available while we where still there and Kurt replied and was able to set us up with the same crew again for Dec 27th and that day we will never forget. That day we landed 3 marlin and another Mahi mahi. Thank you to Kurt, Bill, Alfredo, and Antonio for the excellent 2 days of fishing. Definitely will rebook with these guys when we travel there again.

Date of experience: December 2019
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I sent my 3 boys on a chartered fishing boat with Star Fleet, their ages 14 to 19. Due to sea sickness I did not go so safety was my #1 priority. Star Fleet sent a taxi to the cruise terminal and called us with the taxi information arranged for the same taxi to return them, kept me updated, and my boys had the BEST time... They caught a 6 foot Marlin. This was the highlight of our 7 day cruise. The pictures were also great so I still got to share in the thrill of it all.

Date of experience: January 2020
Reviewed December 3, 2019

Billy with Star Fleet Fishing provided a memorable experience for myself and friend. Their boat was clean, the captain and deckhand were extremely nice and did their best to put us on fish despite dealing with tough fishing conditions. I will def be back and take another trip with these guys! Thanks again Billy, Antonio, and Alfredo we really appreciated it!!!

Date of experience: December 2019
Reviewed July 27, 2019

I am quite overdue writing this review. I have Chartered Star Fleet for a total of 3 days now on 2 separate trips to Mazatlan. These guys are great. Not only do they give you great service they also know how to put you on the fish. The last trip out I caught my first ever Marlin. I went 1 for 2 that day. Not only was the fishing excellent so was the experience. The water is absolutely beautiful in Mazatlan. The ocean is full of life. I've seen thousands of dolphins and hundreds of sea turtles while on the water with Star Fleet. My last trip with them we saw at least 30 marlin and a few sailfish. I was incredibly happy with the experience. Capt. Kurt and his guys are great. They know all about the area and I had a lot of fun talking with them and asking them a million questions. Their boats are very well kept and big enough to bring the whole family. I have been on many charter boats and I must say that this was one of the best times I have ever had. I can't wait to get back down to Mazatlan again and I will most definitely be calling Star Fleet.

Date of experience: April 2019
Reviewed December 6, 2018

We had THE BEST TIME fishing with Starfleet! We heard the fishing is the best in Oct/Nov and it was very true for us. I requested information via Starfleet’s website and received a reply from Kurt right away! He emailed me with many of the details of their charters and the boats that they have available. He was really helpful, and I had a ton of questions which he answered on email almost immediately every time. He gave us details about each boat so we could make a decision, and very important to women, they have restrooms on all of their boats! He gave us great directions and the crew was waiting out front for us when we arrived. They were helpful and friendly and had a place for us to park our car (although they also offered to pick us up from our hotel).
We started our beautiful warm day at 6:30am. We are from Oregon so we were in shorts even at that time of the morning when the crew looked cold ;0) We took off from the harbor and had a nice relaxing hour trip to the blue waters. It was so beautiful and we enjoyed our coffee and breakfast that we brought with us. We thought we should bring a cooler for our food, and then we would have it for the fish afterwards. However, we found out that the little tiny Styrofoam cooler was not nearly enough to take all the fish that we caught that day!
The captain and 1st mate were very helpful and friendly, however they did stay up top while they were looking for fish because that is the best vantage point to see the waters. I think I read a complaint about them not being friendly, however I am not renting a fishing charter to make friends, I wanted them to be looking for FISH!!! Well that is what they did for sure. They were in contact with all of the other boats that were out fishing that day and went straight to the place where they were biting. After a few minutes of trolling they hooked a little Bonita fish, and they took that right over and put it on the line for bait! Well that worked within just a few minutes I got a pretty large Mahi Mahi (Dorado) on the line and they helped me reel it in. Next, they circled around a little bit and got a SAILFIN on the line! My husband was beyond excited to reel in this beautiful fish. The fight was such a rush, he had a great time pulling in that bad boy!
Next, they took us over to a place where the dolphins and turtles were swimming. They circled around a bit, so we could watch and take videos. It was so neat to watch them play, jump and spin out of the water.
Then they took us over to another area where the boats were reporting more fish. They were all up top where they could see the fish well, and they started circling around a marlin. They really knew what they were doing and hooked that HUGE fish after just a few minutes. It took quite awhile for my friend to reel in this marlin that was about like 150 pounds. It was so exciting to watch and they helped us novice to understand how to reel, when to let slack and how to wear out the fish so we could reel it all the way in. It was really a ton of fun, and we thought we were done. NOPE!
We kept trolling and decided to make lunch and hang out a little bit, but the crew was not done! They hooked on another Mahi Mahi and while my friend was reeling that in they hooked a 2nd one and I got up to reel this one in. Dang was that a fight, and what a beautiful fish to watch on the line. It was about an 80-pound fish, and it was an angry male so he was not easy to catch. But they kept their patience with me and helped me get that bad boy in! That was the time of my LIFE!!! I have never had more excitement than that few minutes!
I would like to say that I have NEVER IN MY LIFE seen a more well-kept boat! The captain was on track and helpful the whole time, and the 1st mate kept everything wiped down, organized, things in their spot and made sure we were comfortable. They found the fish, helped us hook the fish and did everything for us. It was the most pleasant and exciting day I have had on a charter boat, and we have been all over Mexico renting charters for various types of activities. They were TOP NOTCH!!!!
When we returned with our enormous catch we were actually about an hour earlier than planned since we had so many fish, so that was great for us! They called the owner Bill who came straight down to help us. They fileted the fish – but we had too much for them to freeze for us, and of course our cooler was no where near big enough. So, they let us freeze some of it and we took some, and we picked up the rest the next morning. We put it all in gallon Ziplock freezer bags (bring some with you just to be sure you have enough) and took it to our hotel. We had to negotiate with the hotel but they were nice enough to let us put it in their basement deep freezer until our time to go home later in the week (then we went and bought coolers so we could check them as a 2nd bag), which worked out well because they were frozen solid by the time we left. So…booking a trip early in your vacation is a good idea, except nothing else will feel quite as amazing as the time on the boat so it might ruin any other adventures that you have planned ;0)

A couple of tips:
•Bring Ziplock bags that will seal, make sure you get Ziplock brand because others you buy in Mexico are not as tightly sealed.
•Ask your hotel in advance if they have a deep freezer for you to store fish. Ours let us, but it was quite a bit of negotiation and I don’t speak Spanish so it would have been difficult if my husband was not there with me with his fluent Spanish.
•Maybe grab a Styrofoam cooler, but be prepared if you want to take fish home that you can go to Walmart and buy a cooler on wheels for a carry on.
•The coolers full of fish had to be a 2nd checked bag, and you will likely have to pay for this. Don’t try to seal it because they airport makes you seal it with a wrapping station at the airport, and this is of course an additional cost.
•Wear boating clothes, shoes that will give you traction when reeling in a big fish and bring your sunscreen, and it will likely get hot later in the day, so layers are good.
•Enjoy the day, relax in the morning on the way out to the blue waters. Bring a book to read or something fun to do with your friends.

Date of experience: October 2018