“Great Fishing Charter”

Star Fleet Sportfishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Star Fleet is a Sport Fishing Charter service, Located In Mazatlan Mexico, and was established by Bill Heimpel Sr. and have been providing a professional service to all of our customers since 1953.Private Fishing Trips and sunset cruise departure daily from the New Marina Mazatlan or from the Old Harbor, depending on the clients preference Star Fleet also provides Mooring services in Mazatlan for yachts in the Old Harbor and are the only ones with a loading and unloading dock. Other Services: Fresh Water, Wifi, WC, Mechanics, Electricians, Hull cleaning, fiberglass work etc.
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Hi, First I would like to start off by saying I have fished a lot of different areas of Mexico, the funny thing about fishing is it is not called "catching fish", its called fishing because you are trying to catch and it is a big ocean, some times you do not have a lucky day. There are a few reviews that speak about the crew not doing a good job, I have been out with Star Fleet in the last 6 months on 2 different boats and have been treated with the upmost respect and had hard working crews on both trips. On the last trip a week ago I was fortunate enough to be accompanied by Kurt (Manager/Family) and had a great day taking 4 strikes by marlin and landing 2 nice marlin. These guys worked very hard looking for and finding me the fish to be caught. Yes the boats are a bit older but both boats that I have been on (Sophia and Melissa) worked well and were trouble free trips and a very reasonable cost. One can get fancy boats and pay huge prices but it is not the boat but the "crew" that make the boat and the Star Fleet captains are all men who have been fishing for their entire life, they DO KNOW fishing and it was my pleasure to have them captain the boats I fished on. I can not wait to get back to Mazatlan to go out and enjoy the fishing there again, hopefully this upcoming summer as myself and my wife have fell in love with the city of Mazatlan as well. Thanks again Kurt for the great time and hope to see you soon again.

Tight Line my Friend
Randy in Red Deer Alberta

1  Thank reddeerrandy

Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I have found that when I do my homework and book from home based upon reviews here on Tripadvisor, I always have a better experience. My trip will Star Fleet was no exception.

I found Star Fleet here and after looking at the reviews I contacted them via their website. Kurt got back to me the same day...actually within an hour or so. He answered me on his way to Africa. WOW...I asked a few questions and booked the trip. He arranged for a taxi to pick me up and drop me off.

On the day of the trip the taxi arrived and the driver asked for me by name. Drove us to the marina where Olga met us immediately and directed us to the boat. We met our Captian Antonio and his mate Juan. The Sofia was a clean boat and well appointed. It was that smooth and we were on the water. All members of Star Fleet were friendly and knowledgeable!

It wasn't long before we had our first of 2 Sailfish and 1 Marlin. Antonio and Juan were very good at what they do and put us on the big fish.

When we returned to the marina, Olga was there again to ensure we had a great trip, took some pictures with our fish and direct us to our taxi back.

I've fished quite a few different spots on blue water and Star Fleet in Mazatlan is a 5 out of 5.

I will return and book with them again!

Many thanks to Kurt, Olga, Antonio, and Juan on a well organized and successful trip!!!

1  Thank Rickstaz
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

I love Mexico. My family adores coming but this was horrible. I hate writing bad reviews but I really can't hold back on this one. My family and I wanted to go for sport fishing for tuna and dorado (Mahi mahi). The day started off nice enough as the driver asked if we wanted to stop for coffee. .. great at 6 in the morning at oxxo. Once on the boat however, it just kept getting worse and worse.

There's a nice little sign on the boat, see picture, that says you will feel welcome. .. but this was anything but friendly. After cast off, the mate and capt went up on the top deck and stayed there the entire time only coming down to change bait every 2 hours!!!! Despite me yelling up top and trying to ask nicely during bait changes to look go for dorado and tuna, but we headed straight for marlin waters with 2 dozen other boats. We don't like bill fish, have been out for them before and wanted nothing to do with them. I can only imagine the captain was only interested to chasing something which he could see poking out of the water.

We passed several bait fish swarms / boils but didn't stop. We saw birds circling in flocks overhead but kept going... any indicator for predator fish feeding was passed by and we kept going. What added insult was the lack of bait rotation. There were too many boats and too little fish, even marlin, out deep but the best chance of getting a bite in tough conditions is fresh bait. Once every 30 if a tough day but every 2 hours is pathetic.

After multiple complaints all the sudden we had a "bite" which was a fake attempt by the capt to show he was worth the day. No circling a fish, nothing spotted by 5 of us, and nothing taken off the hook, not even a bite... The lines didn't even release from the tension spools.

Finally we asked to head in, the capt took his sweet time and trolled slowly in, again passing signs of other fish but he kept going straight. This was horrible. I can't say a single good thing about the capt and boat. The boat by the way was filthy. No running water, broken gear everywhere, toilet openly flushing into the water where if you weren't careful you'd catch sea water up your bumm.

Don't ever, ever, ever book this charter. I'm so sorry if you already did.

4  Thank Real-Insight
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I just wanted to say that this was my first time fishing in Mexico and boy what a awesome trip. Firstly, Kurt Heimpel arranged for us to be picked up at the hotel, free of charge. The driver showed up on time. We were greeted at the dock by Kurt and his crew, with the boat clean and ready to go. We weren't sure of what to expect but let me tell you this charter exceeded our exspectations.
We spent the day with a very hard working and professional crew and boated 13 yellow fin tuna and 1 marlin that weighed 186 lbs. We spotted and were amongst a pod of dolphins that easy numbered 500, additionally we saw 2 whales and 2 sea turtles.
What a day!!!! This fishing trip was a 5 out of 5
StarFleet Charters delivered on all the promisses they made and not once did he ask for a prepayment during our emails back and forth.

Richard C
Vancouver Fire Department
Vancouver BC, Canada

4  Thank richard c
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The reviews are right, these guys rock. Me and all my friends had a really good time fishing with these guys. They really know what they are doing and it was one of the best fishing trips I have ever been on. There pricing is great too.
Do yourself a favor if your in Mazatlan and enjoy a great day sport fishing with Star Fleet. Mazatlan is known for its amazing sport fishing and these guys know their stuff and it shows.
I'm already planing another trip with them.
Thanks so much for the great fishing guys.