“You will love this place. Clean, new, safe, good food, and service.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
Ranked #12 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Calgary
“You will love this place. Clean, new, safe, good food, and service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

We have seen many reviews of the Riu hotels and often wonder why so much negative comments as we had a spectacular time. This is the second Riu hotel we have stayed at, the first in Cabo at the Sante Fe, and now the Emerald Bay.

First, the service was excellent and the staff really enjoy their jobs; kudos to the management for creating a fun place to work for the staff. Next, the building itself is spectacular, clean, roomy, and has beautiful views from any floor. Our room was clean, and everything was in good shape. Our room was quiet and clean, beds were good, but not as good as the King size we had in Cabo, it was nice and soft.

The restaurant in the buffet was good. You should always be able to find good food there. The serving staff were great and have a great sense of humor. It was a little hard to book the specialty restaurants but just go early in the morning the day before and you should be ok.

We found the pool, grounds, beach all well taken care of and very secure. If you want to go to Mexico, Riu Hotels make big efforts to secure the site.

The spa massages were heaven. Take the time and enjoy the spa, the girls do a great job.

There is wireless for your laptop, but you have to go to the lobby area by the front desk to get it, and it was down for several days, but after all, this is a holiday, and they do have internet in the sports bar. I am sure in the future, having more internet available should be on the list of things for them to do.

This hotel is located at the far end of the peninsula, so a taxi ride into town is needed; this is good for quiet times and relaxing, not good if you like night life, but again, just a 10 or 20 minute taxi gets you most anywhere, and the taxi's were only about $15.

We had no problems with the elevators, but we were there when we thought it was only 30 percent full, in January of high season.

The entertainment is ok, but not what we would expect from a high end hotel chain. Other hotels have had better entertainers. We really would like to see a piano bar or some jazz or blues.

On the whole though, this place is great. We would go back.

3 Thank Walter_Kronlite

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
Mountain View, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

We stayed at the Riu Emerald Bay the last week of January. We got a good deal and had booked 5 rooms in total with my in-laws arriving later in the week from Mexico.

From airport to Hotel:
Took a cab from the airport to the hotel which cost around $30. Be sure to go all the way outside the airport to get the cab. In the airport after you pass customs you will see signs for taxi on you left and right. When we entered the room we were asked if we wanted taxi and we assumed that was the right place for it. Turned out they were timeshare folks. So go out of the airport until you are out and can see the sky ouside. Then approach the booth and pay. YOu will be give a prepaid ticket. Even at the booth we were approached by this guy who grabbed our baggage and made us think that he was the taxi guy. Wrong. He too was timeshare.

Hotel check-in:
Check in was quick and we were welcomed with non-alcoholic welcome drinks. My in-laws were going to come later in the week and the staff was nice enough to reserve the next 4 rooms adjacent to us for their arrival. The occupancy level was less than 50%. The hotel is massive with about 22 floors and 700+ rooms. The lobby is huge and impressive.

Room:
This is a new hotel. The standard room we had booked was good. You can request either a king size bed or two doubles. All rooms have ocean view. We were in room 912 which is on the 9th floor. The rooms have a good size balcony with a patio table and two chairs. The bathroom had two sinks. The shower water pressure was adequate. As others have mentioned the bath tub is slightly elevated so getting in is a bit high. Be particulary careful when you get out of the bathtub the first time. You may not expect it to be that high and hence be careful. The room has a fridge stocked with beer(Dos Equis), sodas and water. There is a liquor dispenser that contains Jose Cuervo, Ron Vodka and some other cheap liquor. These are all refilled every other day. However, you can always call the lobby and they can send someone to refill them when required. The maid service was excellent. We left 20 peso tip everyday for the maid. Our daughter loved the towel animals the maid made. There was no odor or smell in the room and the AC worked fine too. The room has a safe and we used it to keep our valuables. We had a rather large laptop which did not fit in the safe but we gave it to the front desk to keep it in their safe.

Pools, Grounds, Entertainment:
There is a swim up bar and pool with jacuzzi. There is a another 2 hugh pools that are connected next to it. And then there is yet another pool on the other side. So there is lot of room for everyone. The grounds are hugh nice and well maintained. The entertainment staff provides activities all day long such as bingo, pool volley ball, water aerobics, shooting, spanish classes, soccer, etc. There is also some area I heard where starting at 10:30 there are activities for kids. In the evening at 9:00 there is the entertainement show. It is similar to what you will see at other all-inclusives. There is practically no poolside drink service but there are bars everywhere so it is not an issue. You can always go to the bar and get a drink.

Drinks:
Been to many all-inclusives but this on has by far the worse liquor you can get. The liquor here tastes like kerosene. Their best tequilla is Jose Cuervo. They had El Jimador which I asked for but it definitely was not Jimador. I have had Jimador before and the one here tasted bad. I think they put some cheap stuff into those bottles. If you are a cocktail drinker you will not notice it because of all the sugary stuff they add to it. They have Dos Equis beer so if you drink beer you are okay.

Food:
Again we have been to may all inclusives but this one by far had the worst food comparitively. Having said that there are still plenty of choices and you will find one thing or the other that you can live with. I had not issues with the buffet since I am not a very picky eater but again I cannot help but compare it to other resorts where I have been. If you want to go to the a la carte restaurants there are three: Bamboo which is Asian, The steakhouse and the Mexican. You can make reservations for two at a time in the mornings by the frond desk. We went to all three. I think the Mexican was the best. I liked the fish they had. My family liked the shrimp fajitas and the chicken was good too. There is a buffet style appetizer and dessert bar. We tried the land(steak) and sea(shrimp, fish) kaboobs and the pork ribs at the steakhouse, which were okay. The bamboo asian restaurant is buffet style chinese/japanese food. It was worse of all the three. I hardly liked anything here and almost went to the dinner buffet. Being from california I eat really good oriental food and that perhaps is the reason. Again, I am being critical here but I am going to tell it as I feel based on my tastes and comparision with other all inclusives I have done. I still would go back to this resort and have no issues with the food since I can always find something to eat. Not to forget this was a great value based on the rates we got. We wanted to go to Mr. Lionsos which is about a 10 min walk on the beach to the right of the Riu. However, people on the forum had mentioned how their rates had gone up and had recommended to try the food places at the strip mall close to Mr. Lionos, acroos from Ginger's bilingual horses. We were given a suggestion to try Roy's but that did not have ocean view so we went to the last one there with ocean view. These are the ones that are without electricity. We tried the lobster and shrimps and had a few beer. The beer and view were good, the food was gross. So if you go do not go to the ones at the very end that do not have electricity but have ocean views. By the way there are some souvenier shops here in case you want to do some shopping. To get here, go outside the Riu, on the streed and make a left. Go all the way down till you hit the shops.

Beach:
---------
This is the pacific side of Mexico so don't expect white sand. The beach was very good though and we liked it. The waves were rough. There was the red danger flag and white jelly fish flag out throught our stay. I saw some surfers but no one really swimming or anything in the ocean. I took my kid just a few feet in because she really wanted it. If you walk on the beach you will see plenty of sea shells being washed up. We all had a great time collecting them and brough some home for souveniers. My dauther loved it. The beach is long and you can walk for hours. We also went horseback riding a couple of times. This was not with Ginger's bilingual horses that charge $30/hour. This was with some locals who broght their horses on the beach and we paid leass than half of what Ginger charges. So it may be worth it for you to shop around.

wifi:
The hotels wireless internet did not work the first few days. They will make you think that there is something wrong with your computer but its not. We talked to several people in the lobby who were complaining. A lot of us complained and they finally got it work. Initially they said it was not part of the all inclusive, suggested us to go somewhere off site, etc. But come on, even cafes and restaurants have wifi and Riu was not bothered that their clients would like to have wifi. Some people do have to stay connected even on vacation. I personally wanted to use skype instead of paying $1.69/min to call back to the US. The hotel computers, by the way do not have skype or allow headsets to be plugged in so that was not an option.

Going to the town:
Riu is far from the city. But there is a wonderful bus service. You can take the bus right outside the Riu and it is only about 7 pesos i.e. less than a dollar. One day we went to the old downtown or cental mecado. We visited the Cathedral, the food market, Fabrica de Francia which is a nice department store across from the Cathedral, etc. Other day we went to the Golden Zone which is more touristy. The security guy at the gate of Riu will tell you which bus you need to take, so ask him.

Weather
Weather was spring like for us Californians. It was warm, not hot. We had showers briefly once during the stay but it was more like a sprinkle. It was actually nice. The water was just a bit on the cool side but it was very refreshing. I did not need a jacket at all.

Overall we had a great time and have no complains except the wifi not working the first few days. Food wasn't an issue. We would go back without hesistation. Not to mention it was a great deal considering it was January which is part of the high season. I know its all inclusive but If you go, do tip the hard working folks there. It is them who make your stay plesant afterall.
Taking away one star because of not providing wifi connection the first few days and for food that did not compare to other similar all-inclusives that we have visited.

Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank agshah
Hamilton, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

Hi There,
My husband and I returned less than a week ago from the Riu Emerlad bay in Mazatlan. We had a wonderful time. The staff was very friendly and always ready to accomodate your needs. The service was very good, the cleanliness was definitly above my expecatation, and the bar tenders were terrific (Alex was our favourite). The food was presented beautifuly and the taste was above my expectation.Every room has a beautiful ocean view and people weren't kidding when they say there is nothing like a Mazatlan sunset. The pools were amazing. There were plenty of activities if you wished to participate. In addition to our stocked beverage fridge, the room also offers your very own liquor (4 or 5 kinds) so you can have mixed drinks in your room. There were various age groups at the resort and I think anyone would be hard pressed to complain of boredom.
I would highly recommend this resort to anyone. We also ventured out on a couple of excursions. Way, way more affordable than when we visited the Myan a couple of years back. (Take the cruise to stone island. Getting to see the sea lions and dolphins in their own domain was really cool).
I hope this helps anyone considering spending their money here. It was worth every penny :)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Bugordie
Eganville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

We did read a lot of reviews from Trip Advisor before we booked this resort and found the information very helpful. With out a doubt we had a 5 star experience at this hotel. I had an personal issue I wanted resolved before we arrived and I contacted the hotel in advance of our arrival by e-mail and when we arrived everything was 100%. A lot of people bashed this hotel in their reviews on service and food, perhaps you should pull your head out of your anus and remember to tip everyone who gives good service. The staff at this resort go out of their way to please, everyone has a smile and a "hola" regardless of how there day is going. Take a look around the guy serving you breakfast is sometimes the guy serving you supper 12 to 14 hrs a day. Tip well they appreciate it and always have a handshake and a big smile for you.
The food was good no issues, some dishes excellent, did not have one bad meal or get sick from any of the food. The beach was excellent for walking with your honey. The ocean was rough at times ,and warmer than the pools, good for swimming. If you want to do any tours check with Diane in the lobby prices reasonable and the tours we did were awesome. We did the Pacific moto atv tour and the Veraneando zip line with her and both we enjoyed very much. The only issue I had was the pillows were way to thin and not enough local music playing around the resort. The shows at night are mediocore but entertaining if you want a Vegas show go to Vegas.
Do not hesitate to book this Riu we had a great time and would go back again.

7 Thank Hoully
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

Most of the favourable reviews recently will just be a positive repetition for us. The staff are amazing-cleaning staff right through to the activity staff. Always a smile. The bar staff needs some support from hotel mangement at the adult pool with the swim up bar. They spend time preparing many non alcoholic drinks for children-who then sit on the bar stools and the adults cannot access the bar. The many travellers suggested a sign on or near the bar stating it is the allocated adult bar but staff did not feel comfortable doing this. The one barender did tell the children if they pour another drink into the pool water that was their last. There was applause for this!!! We have been to many other resorts that advertise an adult pool. They recitify all issues by a sign for all to see. Adults or 18 and over only. and it is enforced. The Riu has a great childrens pool but the families with children didn't want to sacrifice the bar for the children pool. As a result the adults moved to a quieter pool but no bar service of any description. They can easily add another bar to this pool area. The mangament needs to look at the quality of their wines. Been to other 5* Rius' and this one was disappointing for the selection and quality of wine. Other than that we had clean rooms-great view. Good food. Easy to have families and friends sit down together no matter what the size of the party.The al a cartes were disappointing for the Riu with a 5 *. The sign up routine for the al a cartes is annoying and time consuming. They may want to look at how other resorts handle this. I would suggest that this is a 4* but only because the staff take it to that level. Ocean beach is great. Fun in the waves. Sat. was busy with Mexican families in for the day.- they can buy a day pass. Everything was very busy at the resort on Sat.. The gym is mediocre. Small gym-no free wights. Basic hotel gym equipment. Price that we paid we got good value but this Riu needs to look at other 5* to bring it up to par or give it a new star rating of 3.5 or a 4. I will say it again-it is the hard working staff at this resort that keep it at a 4*

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank perky09
Port Moody
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

This vacation was absolutely amazing. The RUI was beautiful and the staff, well we just can't say enough about them. The staff were amazing with the kids and added so much more to our vacation. The food was great and there was so much variety to choose from. There was always lots going on, so no need to be bored. If you have children, the kids club was great and all 5 of our kids loved going in it, as they were kept busy with crafts, games, swimming etc. I would highly recommend this hotel and area - fabulous trip and can hardly wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Foxclan
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

I just wanted to write and say that this place was a wonderful spot for a vacation. Me and my g/f had wanted to get away after the holidays so we chose this almost one year old Riu hotel.

After reading the first couple reviews we were a bit leery of it but then we had to remind ourselves that it was mid summer and that is when the Mexicans have their vacation. What can you expect? Not to mention it was brand new and had to work out it's hiccups.

So January 18th is when we left and arrived there in the evening.

We had asked for a king size bed for our suite and we found that they had pushed two beds together. Realizing this wasn't what we wanted we simply went downstairs and asked for another room. The staff was very accomadating and got us another room... which had someone living in it. Laughing we went back downstairs and told them about it. They were very very apologetic about it and upgarded our room to a Junior suite room. One of the staff Jazial (SP) escorted us upstairs and made sure everything was to our liking. We were very pleased and thanked him for his efforts. The only thing we COULD have complained about in the rooms, (but didn't) was there was no fan in the bathroom to un-fog the mirror. Laughs

Just to clarify a regular room is rather small in my opinion. A Junior suite was a very open large room. The bathroom was small but no smaller then from a regular suite.

The food was wonderful. At 9pm we were wondering if we could get any food but found the buffet open with many many food choices available. I don't know how people can complain about the food. They have American food (hamburgers pastas, hot dogs, you name it!), Mexican food, deserts, fruit, soups, breads, and drinks non or alcoholic. Each specialty restaurant had a small smorgasbord of food and all were quite tasty. We did not go to the Steakhouse restaurant because we were not interested in American food. In my eyes sure I"m sure the food could be better but it's an all inclusive. What do you expect? They had abundant food and it was well prepared and excellent in everything. I don't think you can go without any food at any given time of the day.

The drinks from the sport bar are mostly wonderful. Now I don't drink a lot so I can't say exactly how good the drinks were but I do know I liked what I had

A suggestion is to know what type of alcohol you like. For example... if you ask for a shot of tequila they will give you a standard shot of tequila.. no bones about it. However if you want a shot of tequila called El Jimador (fancy brand) all you have to do is ask for it and they'll give you that. El Jimador makes wicked margaritas btw. So don't just go up there and ask for something standard if you expect the best of the best. You have to specify and chances are high they will have it. I wouldn't recommend a drink called the blue ocean. It's nasty. Mohitos are fabulous and there's a pool boy who wanders around offering drinks to the sun tanned people laying around the pool. There are drinks up in the hotel but they are cheap liquor. Go to the sports bar or the bars outside. Also someone said the wine was lousy at the buffet or in the specialty restaurants. I found them passable but not horrid. But I"m not a wine drinker.

The weather was beautiful. The pools were amazing. The ocean was fabulous. I tie these three things in together cause ... well they were all outdoors. It was nice and quiet for us.. VERY few kids about and we stayed around the pool on the left side as everyone else was over at the swim up bar. Can't tell you what I thought of that place cause we didn't go there but lots of people were in the swim up bar. I heard reviews about people peeing in the pool and it stinking like alcohol cause people can't hold their drinks so we just avoided that place all together. If we wanted drinks we'd flag the pool boy down or go get our own from the sports bar behind the swim up bar.

The ocean was VERY swimable at this time of year. We swam in it every day and body surfed in it. Sure the flags were up saying it was dangerous and sure the jellyfish signs were up but what do you expect? There's jelly fish always in the waters... you want them to take it down on a day there MIGHT NOT be any? It's a way to cover their tails. Swim at your own risk. There is a pretty strong current but if your not a moron who swims out over your head without fins your fine. I only saw one jellyfish our entire stay.

The entertainment was... whats the word... mediocre maybe. It was to Americanized in my eyes. I was looking forward to something Mexican.. salsa dancing etc etc. But every night they had something going along the lines of "Grease", "Mama Mia" and a few others. Some of it was great. There was a night where they had an authentic Mexican night where they served a TON of food out on the beach and the ladies got dressed up in fancy clothing while the men dressed up as matador dancers and whatnot. It was great. They put on a fabulous show and I think I enjoyed that part the most. It was mid week around Wednesday. That was the evening entertainment. The day entertainment we didn't participate in as we were to busy swimming, tanning and sleeping. There is darts, Spanish lessons, silly crazy games (don't ask I don't know minus balloon tossing), air rifle range, dancing lessons, water aerobics and so much more.

You CAN travel out of the RIU on buses, taxis or private vehicles. If you decide to do with a company (example Sunquest) then TALK to them before you go out. They know the best ins and outs and where to go. They know their stuff. We took a bus for about six pesos (8 for the new buses) and went to old Mazatlan. Great old place we enjoyed it. Went to the markets, saw pig heads (Warning: the stench in there is insane.. only in the meat area though.. but what do you expect:P), walked along the beach line down there and just had an all around good time. When we were ready we took a bus back to the golden zone and wandered around there. In my eyes I liked the Old Mazatlan better but that's just me. The Golden Zone is very... modern. Make SURE you get a map from your company before you wander off though. Very easy to get lost:) Also if you walk north up the beach at the RIU you will run into a great lil restaurant called Mr Leionos (sp) or something like that. If you go past it and walk further on along the road there's an RV park which has a few convenience stores and a nifty lil coffee shop.

All in all I was impressed. It was my first all inclusive hotel and I found it fabulous to stay at. The staff was wonderful. You be polite to them and friendly they'll open up to you. They are people to so treat em with respect as you would anywhere else. Sure they are there to wait on you but they are not there to lick your boots. Tip the house cleaning ladies. We found the pillows were very small and thin so we asked for two more. We tipped every morning and had no problems. Always had a clean and tidy place they LOOOVE leaving little towel animals. If you want extra towels that's how to do it:). A couple bucks for tips goes a long long way. Sure you paid already for an all inclusive but if you treat the staff like dirt, your're going to wish you didn't. Don't go there expecting them to wait hand on foot on you. They are good but it's an all inclusive. You want full service go to a five star RIU which isn't an all inclusive with butlers with white gloves and whatnot.

Oh one last thing. If you want a quiet room ask for a room 030+. In other words ask for 930, 630, 1635 or anything like that. It'll put you on the far side of the hotel OPPOSITE of the theater for entertainment is. They go on for about 10:30 their time and can be quite loud. We could JUST barely hear them in 1637 when we slept like babies with our sliding doors open listening to the waves crash.

Great place, great food, great weather all around good memory!

5 Thank jhunter309