“The perfect spot on the beach”

Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
Ranked #10 of 81 Hotels in Mazatlan
Beacon, New York
“The perfect spot on the beach”
Reviewed December 14, 2009

The hotel was lovely, but the location on the beach is it's claim to fame. As is typical of any RIU we've stayed in, it's exceptionally clean, the staff is very helpful, and the rooms are very nice.
The food was not quite as good as we've previously experienced at RIU, but it may be because it's so new. Other than the food and the uncomfortable beds, we had a great stay.

4 Thank lynrrt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (857)
Reviewed December 7, 2009

Just got back from a 3 night stay. The beach, hotel and pool are beautiful. The location is awesome. The Riu is a palace on a perfect slice of the coast. The staff very friendly and courteous. The grounds are perfectly manicured. We were on the 8th floor and could hear the ocean roar all night. I usually don't write reviews but we enjoyed our stay that I wanted to share it since I read TA faithfully before making travel arrangements. I will say the food does have alot of salt and startss to taste the same but the buffet presentation and service is exceptional. The show a little hokey. But overall its a beautiful resort, great place to get away and relax. I don't know why its ranked 18

6 Thank sunfunrelaxSanDiego
British Columbia
Reviewed December 6, 2009

We were looking for an all inclusive vacation away from the bustle of the city. This hotel provided everything we were looking for. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed, clean, and most have million dollar views of spectacular sunsets. The food was exellent, the staff friendly, attentive, and very helpful, and the beach and pool areas relaxing and uncrowded. This was the newest hotel with the largest grounds by far of any that we saw during our trip.

If you are looking for hot nightlife or lots of shopping this isn't the place for you, as it is a fair distance from the more touristy areas of Mazatlan, but it is the last property on a wonderful beach with miles of uncrowded sand.

7 Thank BritishColumbiaBob
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2009

First time to Mazatlan and first time to a 5* in MX. The resort was very nice, very clean and the rooms were lovely. The only negative I suppose I could say about room is I would have preferred it abit cooler, our air conditioner did not work the best. The people here are FANTASTIC! Very accomodating and I do suggest throwing a few bucks to them and the service becomes even better! Our group of 4 LOVED hitting the Sports Bar at the resort to visit our GREAT/FANTASTIC bartenders--Ishmael and Joel. They are truly the BEST! We nicknamed them "Izzy" and "Joey" and they accomodated us to the fullest extent. I suggest a "Banana Mama" with Vodka, little grenadine. This became our known drink and people we met went in there and asked for the same as we were drinking and they knew exactly how to make. Thumbs up to them. Take a ride down to the Golden Zone if you are Canadian and looking to see some HOCKEY. There is a bar/restaurant called "The Saloon" which is across the street from the Dairy Queen-its abit hidden though so its next to the pizza place. Owner is from Medicine Hat and you can lunch there I recommend the Chicken Club --OMG best food I had there. We watched a couple of hockey games and it was fantastic. Did the zipline which was great too, we recommend the NEW one, there are 2. The guides name was Marco, and he was a real "hoot". Give it a try. Other than that we went to the market and the golden zone, did alot of walking along the seashore, drank like theres no tomorrow and it was a very nice week. Definitely go back!! Don't expect alot in respect to food though because being from Alberta, we truly are spoiled I think when it comes to food. We all felt the food was just O.K and that everything just seemed to taste the same with no pizzazz! DO NOT go to the market downtown if you are hungover------the smell will kill you for sure.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
5 Thank Calgary17
ohio
Reviewed December 4, 2009

I selected Mazatlan, Mexico because it was the only destination (warm & sunny) that we (my husband & I ) could fly too for free w/ our freq. flier miles. Since I had never been to Mazatlan before I was torn for almost 2 months on which hotel to pick from. Basically it came down to -do we stay downtown in the 'golden zone' (shopping & eating area) or stay at a very posh/luxury hotel "The Riu at Emerald Bay" (but it's approx. 15-20 minutes away by city bus /golf taxi)? I ended up booking the RIU & was THRILLED that I did! To explain: After 3 days at our hotel I was wanting to see & shop in the 'golden zone' while there I was tempted & stopped in to see the other nice hotel that I almost picked to see if I made a good choice. Let me just say the golden zone is a dump! Even if you pick a nice hotel in that area you will be surrounded by very little security, unsafe environment, poverty, dirtiness, & hustled for money on the street to consistently on the beach. I had anxiety non stop the whole x we were there. I could not relax. We spent from 10-2 pm there & in historic area & was so excited to get out of there to our very nice hotel The Riu at Emerald Bay. Highlights of The Riu: luxury (very clean), security, safety, customer service (I felt overall they were there to please me & my husband), food (loved the salsa), & beach (very clean & has big waves where we could use our boogie boards-which unlike the golden zone there are no waves), there was a roped off area to keep beach hustlers out of the hotel & off our area on the beach where we relax. Bad points of the RIU Hotel: hall ways outside of the rooms echo noise very easily, you have to touch the button on top of the toilet bowl to flush (at a lrg star hotel they should be automatic), tp was rough (later found soft tp at the spa & got it from them), if your a light sleeper we highly recommend to ask for a room on the left side of the building because the right side of the building (when facing hotel from street) is very noisy since the night bar is on that end of the hotel after the 3rd night we requested to move & w/out any question they moved us. It was a huge inconvience to pack all up & to unpack again. We lost 3 hrs of our vacation. I ask the director 'Erica' there if she could accommodate us for the inconvenience & she offered us % discount for next time we come back (I told her I thought that was awful compromise.) I asked for a 50 min. massage and she said no. Spa would not give me a bath towel to use after my shower (I had to go all the way back and up to my room to get one) this was unnecessary and a policy they should change! On over 4 websites including the Riu site it says free scuba diving lesson, kayak, catamaran for all inclusive guest & when we got there they lost their scuba instructor & stopped the kayaks & catamaran due to safety. We were looking forward to this so I made a complaint and the Water sports Director offered me a 50 min. massage and I thought that was nice. Tile floors in rooms are cold (we requested lots of bath towels & made a path in our room to walk on). Omlette station had two women using there bare hands to get the items out of the bowls. I complained and the next day it was fixed by the cooks using spoons--then two days later they were doing it again so I made another complaint and they fixed the problem again. All and All if your going to go to Mazatlan remember it is dirty poor city and if you pick the RIU at Emerald Bay & you will be masked & hidden from the unsanitary, unsafe, & stressful environment and you will have a better & healthier state of mind when you are trying to relax and unwind on your vacation. .

4 Thank smms
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed December 4, 2009

We;ve never been to an all-inclusive resort and went into the experience not expecting too much (drunks, insititutional food, crowds, etc). We were very pleasantly surprised!

The resort itself is gorgeous and being new it's very clean and well maintained. We paid extra for an "Ocean View" room ... shouldn't have bothered as all rooms are ocean view. There are some rooms on the end of the building that they consider "Sea View", however they've got the same exact room and the same gorgeous view as our "Ocean View" room.

The resort is about 20 minutes cab/bus ride to the Gold Coast and another 10 minutes to downtown Mazatlan. We left the resort on a few ocassions, both on our own (shopping, etc) and on organized tours. We felt safe & thoroughly enjoyed the sights of Mazatlan. We also walked the beach a lot ... at the end of the beach (about 10 min walk) there is an awesome lobster restaurant (Mr. Liono's) which has excellent food & 2 for1 drinks (not expensive either). Walking the beach at nite was also safe! The ocean was lots of fun ... the red flag was out every day, but that didn't stop everyone from playing in the waves! Lots of surfing & boogie boarding!

The staff were nothing but friendly & helpful (we made several "friends"). The food was fabulous (nothing institutional about it - the buffet always had different foods, the other 3 restaurants (Asian, Steak & Mexican) were always exceptional!

We went for our daughter's wedding and the Riu staff made this ocassion perfect! From the flowers to the photography to the reception ... everything was first class!

We couldn't have asked for a better vacation!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank TravellButterfly
Kelowna
Reviewed December 3, 2009

We just got back from Riu Emerald Bay and our expectations was that we were welcomed and treated well. The food was excellente and the hotel was just beautiful. People,when you are visiting another country,open your mind and go with the flow,enjoy your experience,quit the complaining. We walked the beach daily and were met with only friendly "OLA" everywhere,Mexicans are a happy people,wish I could say the same for most Canadians.
Yes we tipped everyday,we are not rich but considerate,we were treated with respect and we reciprecated ,and really,what is more important than that? When you travel anywhere your responsibility has to go along with you,don't leave it at home.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple