“Awesome!”

Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
Ranked #11 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed December 10, 2013

My husband and I loved this resort! The staff were friendly and kept the resort very clean. The food was very good and abundant @ the buffets except the 24 hr sport bar the food was lacking. The only problem we had was that we called room service twice for more pillows & never got them. Yeah the elevators were kind of slow (what do u expect for a resort with 22 floors) but didn't mind using the stairs to & from our room on the 7th floor to burn off a lot of food we ate hahaha! It was awesome for all the guests that ALL rooms face the ocean! We didn't venture too much outside the resort such as doing tours as we just wanted to relax on our vacation. We did although checked out the market, the golden zone where u can find lots of shopping & places to eat & we got to see some cliff divers which was pretty cool! We were told to check out a restaurant called Mr. Lionso down the beach as apparently the coconut shrimp is to die for. I am allergic to nuts so my husband tried it out & he loved it that we ate there twice. Plus it was very cheap! We would definitely stay @ this resort again & check out some tours.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Tweety714
Write a ReviewReviews (3,244)

Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Food was great. The staff really put a lot of work into the beach bbq's. As per other reviews the coffee does suck. Ask for a cappicino with an expresso added, very good. The night shows are worth watching except for crazy night. We would definitely go back again for a winter vacation.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Moody_mother
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We have just returned from two weeks at the RIU Emerald Bay outside of Mazatlan. Of the three vacations we spent here this was the best one yet. Many of the staff that were there on our first vacation in 2010 are still there and seem to remember and appreciate our return. We also feel that the service level has matured with the longevity of the staff as the resort has been open for close to five years at this point.
The food was excellent as usual and this year we noticed a remarkable abundance of seafood in the buffet. We were also surprised and pleased to be served fillet mignon done to medium-well and delightfully tender. We did two meals at each of the Mexican and Italian al la carte's and were impressed with both restaurants although the Mexican continues to be our favourite.
Our experience on this trip with Sunwing Airlines and Signature Vacations was also greatly enhanced from our previous experience, in fact I would say that the check-in, loading, flights and customer service by cabin crew was exceptional on both legs of the trip.
We would still like to see the hotel designate one of the pools as a 'quiet' pool where we 'older' folks don't have to listen to kids and parents who misbehave and who feel the need to be inconsiderate.
Once again this resort has proven to be great value for vacation dollar and we see ourselves returning in future as well as recommending this to friends who are interested in a great vacation. .

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Sunrunner007
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Just got back from Mazatlan and the Riu Emerald Bay on December 2, 2013. My husband and I went there with his two brothers, their wives, and two teenagers. My husband and I had an ocean view room on the 8th floor and the view was indeed beautiful! The room was comfortable and very clean and had lots of amenities, the fridge was restocked every other day. The only problem with the room was that instead of a king size bed they had pulled two double beds together and they were both made up separately, which we found very odd! We would have preferred one king or queen size bed! The couple with the teenagers had a family room on the first floor which had a master bedroom in the loft with a king size bed and ensuite and two hide-a-beds downstairs as well as another bathroom! An excellent family room set up! The staff was very pleasant, helpful, and most could speak English which is a big plus!! The pools were very nice but we didn't spend much time there as most of our time was spent on the beach and in the ocean. The waves were awesome! The nightly entertainment was family oriented with good, clean, fun! The last night we were there the staff put on a "Crazy" show, it was hilarious! Most of the time there was lots of room however on Friday and Saturday there was a huge influx of people and then it got crowded but the staff was very good in trying to accommodate ei. giving access to the a la carte restaurants without a reservation to accommodate the overflow. The buffet food was excellent with an incredible selection of seafood, chicken, beef, pork, Mexican, pastas, fruit, and desserts! There was something for every palate! The local venders on the beach had a huge selection of goods and were usually easily haggled down to a good price. On the negative side: the boogie board rental closed around 2 in the afternoon which is way to early for us Canadians! Since it cools off in the evenings we were going to go sit in the hot tub which are located on the front side of the building, only to find that they closed at 5 p.m. and were by appointment only! Who wants to sit in a hot tub when it's 30C outside?! So we were unable to take that in. Overall, we loved the resort! In fact, we are planning to go again in the new year! My husband and I have visited numerous resorts over the last 12 years and have never before gone back to the same resort twice!

Room Tip: Family rooms have a loft master bedroom and two bathrooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank PETER S
Reviewed December 8, 2013

“Loved the Riu Emerald Bay and Mazatlan is Gem to be discoved!”

We went end of November/early December 2013 to take a break from every day life. We booked through Sears with Sunwing/Signature Vacations. We did our seat selection as usual, all went well.
We have been on many other trips to all inclusive and Riu's, this resort is amazing, the beach and hotel are truly beautiful!
We loved it for a relaxing and fun trip, but also to discover the people and take excursions. We enjoyed and loved the great service, beautiful scenery, beaches to no end, waves, OMG waves.... We had fun !!!
The beach is magnificent, for Mexico standard (for me) where all beaches are not all beautiful and soft, it is breathtaking. Many fishes, dolphins and rays can be seen from the beach. This resort was beautiful and we look forward to going again and again.
We had a full ocean-view suite, well worth it on this view!!!
I don’t get the bad critics… If they want more, well they will need to pay A LOT more obviously, life is not free.
Rooms:
The television had many English channels and the minibar was always stocked. We left a couple bucks daily and gifts that we brought from home… VERY clean.
Restaurants and Bars:
We went to all the A la carte, the Mexican was the best, the Italian, very good…. ,the Asian, don’t bother… Ouch…. The wait staff is extremely attentive and hard working. The buffet is very good also!Overall....... the resort was right on or I admit, above expectations!! …. The rest of staff really nice and smiley!!
Souvenirs:
Go in town to the market or to the market at the end of the beach, really worth it. Honestly the shop in the hotel does not sell that much more expensive …
Attractions: The price of excursions are ridiculously low… WOW… we did four !!!!
Stone Island Adventure (5hrs) 25$ - Catamaran, horse back riding on the beach, lunch, country city visit, loved it. City tour of Mazatlan (5hrs), 30$, visit the boardwalk, a church, market, stores, 8 history stops of Mazatlan, divers. Country towns and Tequila owned factory (Miam Miam) (5hrs), 40$, Overall, we loved our holidays, almost best yet ….
My one advice to those travelers looking for total peace and quiet.........the local Mexicans get a 50% discount on the weekends and while there is lots of room to move (I just go to the beach) if the noise becomes a problem.....(including no sleep) be aware that the children scream, the parents seem to disregard the noise and the kids basically run wild in every pool. This I should note is my biggest complaint. I would recommend that the hotel makes ONE entirely ADULT POOL with no children allowed for those adults who really don't want to listen to screams, yelling and over the top splashing and crowding while you are trying to enjoy the pools. There is a children's pool but more for toddlers as it is only a foot or so deep. One pool surrounds the swim up bar and that is noisy with music and power drinkers...........! The other pools are "a free for all" but lovely (sans noisy kids in one pool please). After the weekend is over.....ALL pools are exceptionally beautiful and quiet. The Mexicans are a lovely friend people and try their best to communicate...quite funny sometimes but we seem to manage.
All in all this is a fabulous hotel and I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone. The beach sand is spotless and kept free of garbage constantly. The staff are friendly, do anything they can to make your stay as perfect as they can with a smile ! There are no beach umbrellas on the beach but their are strategically placed palm tree's on the beach to provide maximum shade for those who require it. The pool waiters come around with a drink cart all the time so you don't have to be constantly going to the bar for a drink. Friendly, quick service with a smile !
Enjoy your stay at the RIU........this is a remarkable hotel resort.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank tournesol_ann
Reviewed December 6, 2013

My husband and I just got back on December 3rd, 2013 from the Riu Emerald Bay. We had such a great time. This was our first time in Mexico and I was a little nervous about the reviews i had read and the "complaints" about this hotel in particular.
Of course, we got here and everything was as it should be. The hotel staff and sunwing staff are very welcoming and you can feel nothing except relaxed and refreshed after the service they provide.
Mazatlan is a very beautiful place and there is so much to do. My husband and I did a city tour (with the sunwing tours offered at hotel) and Miguel took us out for the day to see the nearby "golden sun" and other areas. The "cliff divers" were a sight and I have to say, they do earn their keep. It made my heart jump watching them dive off those rocks and near those rocks. Ah. Also, if you are up for a little adventure, then try a visit to the Huana Coa Adventure park where my husband and I did some zip lining. It was so much fun....I was a little apprehensive about safety and the operations of the facility BUT the staff and facility are excellent. They make you feel comfortable and do everything to ensure that you are safe while flying through the trees on the local agave plantation. It was a blast!
I would definitely go back to Mazatlan and to the Riu as they do offer top notch services. it was definitely worth what we paid for the week long of fun in the sun. :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jackie H
Reviewed December 5, 2013

The Emerald bay is by far one of my favorite places to go, We have traveled the last 20 years to either Mexico,Dominican Republic,Cuba,Jamaica etc etc,And the Emerald Bay for me is in the top 5 places we have gone to.Furthermore i could never figure out why there are people who are upset when there are "locals" at the resort, We live close to Niagara Falls and these people think that we could not go and stay in a hotel in the falls because we are "locals"???
That is just ridiculous.

Room Tip: There is not a bad room in the Hotel.we stayed at the 3rd floor next time i would go higher
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends