“All inclusive vacation”

Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
Ranked #11 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Hotel was clean and staff very friendly and helpful. Many did not speak English though. Very crowded though. Brought locals in by the bus loads. A lot of children present. Good for family not so much for relaxing adult time. Food was typical buffet with Mexican cuisine prevailing at breakfast lunch and dinner. Drinks were not very good. Coffee is not their thing. More of a 3 star family w/kids vacation. Trip was not expensive though.

Room Tip: Don't know. Three women slept in 2 double beds pushed together. Not what we booked. All are nois...
4  Thank sos45jwn

Reviewed June 2, 2013

When I first arrived to this hotel I simply could not believe hoe fancy it was. The rooms had very comfortable beds. The staff was also very attentive. My favorite thing was that there were eight pools all with special features like in pool chairs. I also loved that they had a very large amount of restaurant options including a buffet and a chinese and Mexican restaurant. At night there was also live entertainment which I really enjoyed they had a Mama Mia show one of the nights I was there it was very fun to watch.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Luz Elena R
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is my 3rd visit to Riu Emerald Bay. We stayed from May 3-10. This time we came with four family members.
I think after 3 visits I can give a good idea what to expect. I found the staff quite friendly in all our interactions. We needed a wheelchair for our grandfather, I emailed the hotel prior and when arrived they had arranged a chair for us $15 day. We requested that two of the rooms were close to each other and they arranged adjoining rooms that are very cool because they have a main door access then two separate room doors. So you could keep main door shut and open room doors to stay connected. We had the jacuzzi suite again which I would recommend highly. The tub takes 12 minutes to fill I timed it because someone complained about how long it took.
Yes the hotel was I would say 80% locals and 20% Mixed. Once you realize that just work with it, I had been learning more Spanish and I found it went along way and had some real fun with some of the locals. We almost never waited for elevators and we were on 18.
The food was pretty good. I always could find something I liked. There was bacon everyday so blt's were my breakfast of choice.
We did go for mani and pedi at the spa and while they do a couple of things different it was an enjoyable experience.
We did go down to Mr Lionso again but we were a little disappointed with the lobster this time but the shrimp both garlic and coconut were great along with the service.
Was paid $965 from calgary and for all inclusive that's pretty good. But I will have to say that with Sunwing they stopped in Vancouver both ways and that suck. But all in all for what you pay it is a good value.
I will also say that when flying with toddlers it would be nice if they had to have their own seat. Picture this, last row my 6'5 boyfriend, me in the middle and a 6' man and a 2 year old. In the seat in front of us the same scenario but the mom with the twin. They cry, scream, go back and forth between the mom and grandfather. Try to eat, read or have a nap. Good luck, now their problems become your problems. I watched a poor couple on the way back try to juggle the grandfathers food try with his own while the child pitched a fit. Parents buy a seat for your kids use a car seat others would like to enjoy the flight.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank MelindalovesJordan
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I was on the last Sunwing trip to Mazatlan, May 14-21, and had an overall great experience. The beach was fantastic to walk or suntan, but the waves too high to swim. One child almost drowned. But there are plenty of pools to swim in. If you request premium liquor in your drinks they have it, if not-you get a cheaper version. I found all the staff very pleasant and helpful. We did the zip line trip out of the restaurant just a few steps north of the hotel, it was cheaper and better than the hotel's one. We also used the same company for our tour of mazatlan, we had our own guide that took us around the city in an air conditioned van. I would recommend hooking up with this company, and the food in the restraunt was great-cheap beer and great coconut shrimp. Since we were the last flight down, the hotel was mainly Mexican's on vacation. True, they don't know elevator in and off etiquette, but other than that, it added to the cultural experience. Food was good, you can always find something you like. We didn't bother doing any of the a la carte's, and glad of it. Stick to the main buffet and walk down the beach to the local restraunt for shrimps. Bring a coffee maker for your room or walk to the sports bar each morning for a decent cup of coffee. Also, bring your own wine, stop at duty free on the way down, their wine is horrible. Entertainment poor, but we always ate late and were tired from a full day of sun and didn't bother to watch. Sound system needs replaced, and they really need to improve the entertainment, Rooms very clean and well attended. Don't ask for the 18th floor as the balcony is so small you can bearly sit, we moved to another floor and had a decent size balcony. Overall, a great experience and would definitely go back. Worst part was the trouble with Park n' Fly-due to road construction around the airport-we waited forever for the shuttle bus, but our coupon we printed off the internet did work, unlike others.

Room Tip: Careful not to get a room ending in 33 as there is a wall that blocks your view of the sunset. 18th...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Laura W
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Well, I have been to a 5* hotel like Grand Sunset Princess. This one is not even close. It may look nice on the picture, but the service level is more like 4*, and the territory of the hotel is tiny. There is nowhere to go and there is no much you can do there. Take away the building (these are just a bunch of rooms) and what's left is what you get. Next, there was nothing in the bathroom, except of soap :) No shampoo, no bathing gel. Next, nobody swims in the ocean, impossible, the waives are to high, always a red flag - not to swim. Next, The pool is small for the size of the hotel, too many people in there, and since the washroom are far away, nobody bothers to go there :( Next, I was traveling solo, and it was really boring, zero entertainment, nothing, just some clowns for kids, and you obviously cannot leave the hotel, it's Mexico, not safe, especially in this province. There was nothing to do at in the resort except of eating and staying in the pool. Next, the food was OK, but definitely not 5*. Food is almost the same each day. Instead of salads, they just have sliced vegetables. The service was normal. The restaurants - forget about it. There 2 of them - the Asian, and the Mexican, where you get the same food as in the buffet, except, you need to wake up before 7 AM to have a chance to make a reservation. I never had a chance :) Next, the rooms are OK, clean, everything works, except of the TV, which I like to watch relaxing in the room after lunch, however, the TV was so dark, that it was almost impossible to watch anything. Next, The view from the room is great. The beach is good, but as I said, you cannot swim in the ocean, so what's the point of coming to this place? Next, only Canadians and Mexicans. Too many Mexicans with kids, way too many. They jump into adult pool, pee in there, etc...) Next, the drinks felt cheap, like the cheapest alcohol you can find. Even the barmen said that the wine is bad, very cheap, they open the bottle and it stays open for weeks. This is not acceptable for a 5*. I got serious stomach problem on the first day, after that just stopped drinking alcohol. Next, the excursions - didn't take any, because I found them very boring. The excursions at Mayan Rivera were fantastic, like the http://www.xelha.com/ eco-park. But here I didn't find excursions I could be interested in, no eco-parks, no pyramids. Next, the territory of the resort is not green at all, there are almost no trees, you can see it on the picture. Don't know why the RIU Inc didn't plant anything, and all the beach area is under the open sun, nowhere to hide, no shadow.
That's about it. It's probably OK for people that come as company and getting drunk all day. I will not be coming back, and will not be selecting RIU network as my resort next time I travel. I had a very strong feeling that the corporation was trying to save money on absolutely everything giving just a fancy look to the hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms face ocean. Top floors - better view, longer to get there, the elevators stop between the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank slishnevsky
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Just returned from a one week stay at the RIU Mazatlan. We were the last flight in from Canada for the season. Flights begin again in November if you are interested in taking advantage of this great deal.
My husband and I have stayed at many RIU Resorts across Mexico, Dominican Republic and Jamaica... so let's begin with the food. If I can say one thing about the RIU chain they are consistent. I expect to lose 5 pounds after a week at a RIU. I have come to consider it a bonus! My husband however requires 3 square meals and 2 snacks daily just to survive. The food was like any other RIU, it starts out not bad and by the end of your week you are not finding anything you like. Breakfast is always good! Lots of selection! Best to go early before the lineups start. We went at about 7:30 every day and all was good. YOU MUST GET YOUR COFFEE AT THE SPORT BAR each morning before you go to buffet. This is the only real coffee on the resort. Ahhh the "A La Cart" Restaurants... first of all they are NOT a la cart. We did the Italian first. It was the lunch buffet only with less people. Nothing really Italian about it. We had had lunch there that day and it was fine BUT it was definitely not an Italian Restaurant at dinner. Next up was the Asian "Bamboo" restaurant. It too was a buffet. It was not horrible. an average Asian buffet. The decor was lovely. My husband loved the ribs. I would steer clear of the luke warm sushi. And finally, the Mexican "Tabasco" restaurant. I felt this was the best only because it was not a buffet. They bring you every appetizer on the menu and then you order your entree and desert. A little odd but the shrimps Diabla was good. Don't get excited about the restaurants.

The room was excellent. Every room in the hotel has a view of the ocean if you are into that. They were cleaned well every day. We missed having coffee in the room like at most other 4 & 5 star resorts. Check in was a breeze... they put your bracelet on on the bus, then you get a welcome cocktail and an envelope with your room keys and towel cards, etc. Our room was not ready as we arrived quite early in the morning BUT we changed into our swimsuits and hit the beach for drinks and sun. It was wonderful and room was ready in a short time. They work very hard to keep things moving on this resort.

The first thing you notice is that this seems a very Canadian resort. But towards the end of our stay it was just the people who flew down with us and HUNDREDS OF MEXICANS. There are many pools and an entire area for children but by the end of our stay kids were everywhere! The hotel does it's best to keep the kids out of the adult pool but they come back in anyway. We never had a problem finding chairs at the pool or the beach which was great. I loved the beach. You can walk forever in the sand. I highly recommend the restaurant at the north end of the beach! We walked down the beach to this restaurant and had an amazing meal! Lobster, shrimp and chicken fajitas. They have it all and will cook it however you choose and best of all it's cheap. The four of us ate and like kings and drank 6 beers and total for 4 was $52 Excellent day!
All AI Resorts have shows in the evening. WE HATE THE SHOWS. ALL OF THEM! YES, EVEN THE MICHAEL JACKSON SHOW (WHICH EVERY SINGLE RESORT DOES BY THE WAY). LOVED the lobby bar! Good place to hang out at the bar.

We purchased this vacation for less than $900 per person all in. It was well worth the money. We had a great time. It's just a RIU no matter how many stars they give it. An excellent cheap getaway.

I feel I have to warn travelers about Park'N Fly out of Toronto. DON'T DO IT! We waited over 90 minutes in an angry crowd. Then we had to fight with the driver to take us to our lot. The coupon codes didn't work. It would have been cheaper to take a limo! PARK 'N FLY ALMOST RUINED OUR TRIP. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view. They seem to get better the higher up you get. Don't worry about th...
5  Thank wil100
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I have traveled to Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Puerto Vallarta and now Mazatlan … all of them have been all-inclusive resorts and the Riu Emerald Bay is one of the best hotels I have ever had the pleasure of staying at.

Checking
Was organized, fast and efficient. Definitely give them 5 stars for this. Staff boarded the bus and came down the aisle to hand out our wrist bands. We then followed them to the Martini Lounge were staff were at tables with envelopes containing rooms cards, towels cards and hotel info. Our rooms was ready – if we had received the right one. We did pay extra for an ocean view ( 5th floor and up), but all rooms are ocean view – just unobstructed. Due to the change we had to wait 2 hours – but we went for lunch and it was no big deal.

Staff
WERE AMAZING!!! When I arrived to Mexico a spacer/bearing for my wheelchair was missing from the airport. Without this part I could not use my wheelchair. After I explained my dilemma to management, they brought in Rafael (Maintenance Head) who manufactured a replacement part out of plumbers tubing and my chair was perfect!!! RAFAEL SAVED MY VACATION!!!

From David at the front door, Mario in the Lobby, Allen at front desk – amazing people.
Servers at breakfast – Alberto

ALL OF YOU MADE MY VACATION !!! Thanks for your friendly service, conversation and smiles. You work so hard!!! I will miss seeing you.

Room
** I did not stay in a wheelchair room. All rooms have the same door dimensions. Wheelchair rooms are located on 2nd floor with wheel in showers. I am not completely wheelchair bound so I rather would have a great view. Rooms was easy to get around in and to the balcony as well.

Very clean. The room set up was nice. Main hallway turns into a small hallway with room doors on each side. This allows for a nice room layout but sometimes your neighbour can be noisy. You enter into lobby type area where the in suite bar and large closet. Safe was wonderful! NO ISSUES with anything missing from our rooms. Beds more on the firm side – but were comfy. Rooms with 2 double beds are right side by side only 1 inch in between.( see photo) My friend and I felt we were sleeping in an extra-large king bed together, but if you don’t know the person you go with that well it may be an issue. No individual shampoo, conditioner or lotion in the bathroom - the dispenser in the shower is soap & shampoo. Still no lotion – bring your own.

** All restaurants are wheel chair accessible – no issues. Wheelchair accessible washroom near all dining and always clean.
Food was excellent. You could eat at the buffet every day and still not try everything. The options are endless – there is a menu of the features for the buffet listed outside buffet doors every day. The Italian & Asian restaurants were amazing; but not a-la-carte. They were buffet style dining. Only the Mexican restaurant is a-la-carte. Though the Asian & Italians are buffet, it is more upscale with a different menu. The Mexican restaurant will bring all starts on a platter to your table so you can try them all. Then the tortilla soup (best soup I have ever had!!) then you choose your entree. You have to order the lime and tequila pastry desert!!!

** Food after 9 pm is located in the sports bar – this was the ONLY complaint about this hotel. For a 5 Star resort – precooked hot dog and burgers to re-heat in a microwave is not my idea of food. They also had sandwiches and nachos with cold runny cheese. Very disappointing!!

Disco
Fun and is air conditioned so dance the night away. Had a blast. DJ plays good selections of music but does not take requests.

Pools/Beach
** All pools areas are accessible. Beach is only accessible if you are somewhat mobile.
We traveled during mother’s day which is a stay holiday in Mexico. Was very busy – 100% person capacity during the weekend we were there. We did not have a problem finding a lounge chair by the pool or beach. I liked all the options for seating – poolside, garden or beach views, near music or more quiet. The resort has beach property that is sectioned off – no vendors can come up to you while you are on the beach. Beach and pool decks cleaned/swept daily.

Bar Service
There are so many bars in this resort; we never saw them all. All the bartenders are very friendly and speak English. We never waited more than a couple of minutes to be served at the adult pool bar – again it was very full. Drinks were delicious and served fast and promptly. Memo, Daniel, Javier, Victor, Edgar and Raul are ALL amazing!! Ask for brand named alcohol if you want it. A little disappointed that Mazatlan is where Pacifico is brewed and it is not served at this resort. Beer is Tecate and Dos Equis.

Noise
We were on the 8th floor - only when we had our balcony door open did we hear the bands playing on the beach or the shows from open air theater. But once you closed the door – nothing. Hallways are tile – except an echo and were noisey. We were also near the ice machine and apparently at 3 am people need ice.

Entertainment
I found the entertainment staff were not friendly or engaging like other resorts we have been too – stuck-up even. The Michael Jackson impersonator was AMAZING – every one, young and old had a blast. We never took in any of the other shows – to tired or busy. Staff will take you into downtown to go to the bars at night for a fee. But since they are not overly friendly, I never felt like I wanted to do this; although I do this frequently (3 out of 6 nights) at other resorts.

Elevators
There are TWO sets of elevators on either side of the resort with 3 elevators on EACH side. That's a total of SIX elevators. We stayed during the one of the BUSIEST time of the year and majority of the time they were speedy; just avoid using the elevators around check out / check in time and you will be fine. A couple of times I had to wait up to 10 minutes – as I am in a wheelchair I cannot use the stairs. Finally I would just say I need to get on and others would get off or squish together.

Security
There was always a security guard at the entrance of the hotel and at the security gatehouse to the entry to the resort. We were downtown until early morning hours by ourselves (2 females). We had a phenomenal time and never felt unsafe. Obviously we were aware of our surroundings and make good choices. Inside the room, there is a safe, we NEVER had an issue with theft and never ran into anyone who did.

Mentions – Pros and Cons
- Free 90 min of Wi-Fi daily in the lobby ( usually longer as well). Sometimes the free Wi-Fi can be slow and poor
- I paid 70.00 for 7 days of Wi-Fi and I had to call daily to get it back up – the ITO person had to come to my room twice to reset it. I was never refunded but it was ok. Sometimes the free Wi-Fi was better. Worked well after it was re-set. But at least I could have Wi-Fi anywhere except in the restaurants – no service in there but I think he they did that purposely.
- Loungers – they were not cleaned often and many beds had a lot of bird droppings on them that you would not want to sit on them. They had so many staff on at this time cleaning windows in doorways that were never used – their effort and time could have been used cleaning chairs used every day.
- Resort is far from the airport and city, so $$ to travel by taxi there often
- Malecon and views from the city are nice – but I was not overly impressed. I rather go to the little market place and shop and eat at Roy’s and Mr. Liono’s then go into town.

Advice:
- Visit Roy’s – amazing restaurant down the road from the hotel. Great food, service and free Wi-Fi and calls home. Sundays are all you can eat ribs for 10$ the best ribs I have ever had. He has a charcoal BBQ pit out front he cooks on. Very clean. Or try the daily lobster and shrimp for 19$.
- Joe’s Oyster Bar & Lounge – Best place for drinks and dancing!! I loved this place. They played both top 40 and Spanish music which I love. When I go to Mexico I want to hear Spanish music

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean front. 5th floor and up are considered ocean view. Try to choose rooms in 20 or...
7  Thank Tracey E