Don't believe the negative reviews are wrong!
Travelled, two 50 year old moms and one 21 year old daughter.
I've never gone on a vacation and felt so safe, comfortable and relaxed. I've read Mazatlan is dangerous, there are drugs etc, but its the total opposite. Everyone is so friendly and its extremely safe to leave the resort. We left multiple times and went into town by the local bus. Lots of locals speak fluent English. They aren't pushy for you to purchase, you say no and they will leave you alone!
Now to categorize the trip...
- Easy as ever, the Sunwing rep already has you checked in, you get off the bus, they have drinks ready and wrist bands are already put on you while on the bus and then you go grab your keys which are all set out for the guests and straight to the room! No waiting, no hassle. VERY ORGANIZED.
- Very clean, and every room has an ocean view, we were on the 3rd floor so never took the elevator but still had a beautiful view of the ocean. Staff were friendly and the one day we asked for extra face cloths, the front desk called 10 minutes after to make sure we received them. They are on top of things! Rooms cleaned daily, like any other resort.
- AC works well!
- we slept with the door wide open some nights, no bugs and loved to hear the ocean roaring!
- Always something to eat. They have a general menu of what will be served every night posted out front. The food was amazing. My daughter is extremely gluten intolerant and she didn't have a single issue. She loved the food. I can understand if you go for two weeks, you would get sick of eating in the same place every night but the food is great. We enjoyed every meal.
- Favourite waiter Daniel was always greeting us/other guests with a smile. He remembered our names and the drinks we always ordered at dinner and lunch. He was very positive and alway making sure our needs were met!
- Another awesome waiter which we never could say his first name but his last name was Santos, he was the best in the breakfast buffet! He was quick an efficient to find us a table and have our coffees poured!
The staff in the main buffet were great!
A la carte (Asian):
- awesome food, good variety, it is a buffet setting
- staff was slow, although the food was great, the main buffet staff make dinner more enjoyable
A la carte (Italian):
- awesome food as well, and a buffet setting (probably the best a la carte there)
Never went to the Mexican one as we loved the normal buffet so much we skipped our reservation!
- Pool bar always had good service and good drinks!
- We went to the Lobby bar every night at 5pm for our afternoon martini's made by Jorge or Felipe. Always friendly, would customize drinks to how ever you wanted them. Awesome bartenders! Jorge even made a special martini for mothers day!
SPORTS BARS: The lady working in the mornings was great, she remembered our order from the second day (we went everyday after breakfast for our specialty coffees) They have sandwiches, muffins, pizza and nachos in there 24 hours.
GO TO TOWN!
- bus cost 8 pesos (80 cents) each way. Takes you to the Gold Zone, which is main shopping (just ask your rep) and he'll give you a map.
- We ate at Los Ponchos, right on the beach and it was beautiful! Amazing fresh shrimp and great drinks. Beautiful view. Highly recommended if your interested in eating off the resort. Not expensive either.
- SILVER, every says go to The Real McCoy, we went and purchased some nice jewellery, rings earrings. Very nice there. DONT GO TO THE BIG SOUVENIR SHOP BESIDE (right side), they are jerks.
- Souvenirs, go to Michael Gallery, they have price tags and don't make up prices on the spot, and they have beautiful dishes. The lady even gave us 30% off, and we didn't even try to barter with her.
- Deer Island was beautiful! 1 hour ride on the catamaran and then banana boat rides, kayaking, snorkelling and lunch! then a 30 mins catamaran ride back to the Marina. 52$, but it was worth it. Free drinks serves instantly on the boat (always water bottles available too!) Everything was very well organized!
- The RIU is the only big resort on the beach, you can walk for ever!
- the beach was never packed, we always found chairs
- BEACH BAR SERVICE!! awesome
- life guards on duty
- HOLY BEAUTIFUL. Nicest beach ever, huge, hot sand around noon though. Super clean. Fun waves for jumping in, First couple days, the under tow was strong but later in the week it was fun and we were enjoying the ocean! Spent more time on the beach then the pool.
- horseback riding on the beach 10$ a person, if you barter you could probably get it cheaper!
-Big and clean! (other then the swim up bar pool....but we stuck to the other pools)
- Looney Bean coffee shop
- Must try the Coconuts from the huts across the street. Fresh! 20-30 pesos
- the hotel was busy, and there was locals, but why complain about that? That is like being in Florida and saying there is too many Americans at your hotel. Makes no sense. Everyone is friendly.
If you don't want to be around Mexicans, don't go to Mexico.
- HIGHLY recommended. We have been to many resorts before, but this one we will be going back within this next year. It was the perfect vacation. To sum it up. It was a clean, positive atmosphere, welcoming, safe, and relaxing vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Opening summer 2009 * 12 km / 7.45 Miles from Mazatlan, overlooking the Pacific Ocean * Located on Playa Las Brujas beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 20-story main building * Surrounded by 13.500 M2 / 16.15 Sq. Yards of lush gardens * 10 km / 6.2 Miles from various shops * 12 km / 7.45 Miles from Mazatlan * 32 km / 19.87 Miles from the airport * Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Amex, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Otel, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Riu Emerald Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Emerald Bay Mazatlan