Surf Info: ^^^ If you not a strong swimmer/ advanced surfer do not surf in front of the RIU, the rip is strong and will pull you into the rocks on the North side of the break, you will see these just to your right if your on the beach just in front of RIU.
###THE GOOD NEWS###
I wasn't able to find much info about surfing/ board rentals close to RIU online before my trip, or at reception for that matter. Even though you can book lessons through one of the excursion desk in the lobby... But, with a little luck or good karma I found a spot- Witches Beach- just North of the RIU that breaks all year! When your ready to surf:
1. Walk out of the RIU to the beach
2. Head North (right) You will see the point, waves, an awesome local doing head stands on his
3. On the weekends, you may find boards/ lessons for rent on the beach here. If not, just make a
right at the restaurant and a left when you see the small strip mall. The Looney Bean Coffee
Shop has plenty of boards, around 60 USD for a week...
4. When you paddle out, the channel is next to the rocks, easy paddle out.
5. The locals are cool, have fun and catch some waves.
This is the only break in Mazatlan that is good all year, guaranteed to get some waves!
You can talk with one of the excursion desks in the lobby, I think they use a surf shop in the Golden Zone.
When you rent a board ask the owner of the Coffee shop about lessons, I believe he has a friend giving lessons.
Or, just look for the guys on the beach on the weekends.
I hope this is helpful, if so leave a comment so I know this was helpful.
Noroc from Romania, for now
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Opening summer 2009 * 12 km / 7.45 Miles from Mazatlan, overlooking the Pacific Ocean * Located on Playa Las Brujas beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 20-story main building * Surrounded by 13.500 M2 / 16.15 Sq. Yards of lush gardens * 10 km / 6.2 Miles from various shops * 12 km / 7.45 Miles from Mazatlan * 32 km / 19.87 Miles from the airport * Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Amex, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Riu Emerald Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Emerald Bay Mazatlan