“Excellent vacation”

Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
Ranked #11 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Riu I love you ... Beautiful beach, loved the sound of the roaring waves and the soft white sand. We stayed April 19 - May 3 Grounds are immaculate, rooms are well maintained by the maids and service was probably the best I have ever had. Upon arrival we were greeted with drinks and a red carnation, room keys, towel cards and huge smiles from all staff. We were assigned a room on the 14th floor and because I have a fear of heights, asked for something a little lower, we were given keys to 2 rooms to decide which one we liked and we selected room 518 which was so awesome as you could see the pools and the ocean. Bar staff were hard working and always tried to tend to people in order, most people don't give tips but they sure appreciated when you did. Excursions were well organized by Johny and Juan and a lot of fun. David, security at the front of the hotel was friendly and got to know us and we got to know him and what he did on his day off. Victor the waiter was overly friendly and made you feel special. All in all staff were amazing. Food was in abundance with lots of variety, we ate at all the restaurants including Roy's seafood and Ponchos on the beach which of course were not all inclusive but oh so good. Most everyone finds something to complain about so I guess I will as well .... Or maybe not ... I love you Riu!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank kimlita
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed at the Riu for a week and it was a great experience. We don't normally stay in all inclusives and were pleasantly surprized. The hotel and grounds are immaculate. There is constantly someone sweeping, mopping, dusting, gardening or picking up. You could eat off the floor! The food in the main buffet was great with a huge variety. We ate a different type of food there every night. The specialty restaurants are not a la carte and are all buffet style and anything that was available in them was no different than what was in the main buffet. The maid service was above average. If you asked for something extra in your room it was there when you got back. The bartenders were all quick and efficient. Our favourite bar was the Martini Bar off the main lobby. Those guys make a mean martini. Premium liquor is available, but you do have to ask for it. My husband even got a good Scotch! The hotel also had different activities daily at the hotel. One day it was a beach BBQ, the next a Mexican Fiesta and it went on and on. The gym was well appointed but could use a few more cardio machines and some free weights. Teh nightly entertainment was fun and done with a lot of enthusiasm. Costumes were amazing.
We would definitely go back and this time would pay the extra for a suite. BTW-all the rooms are ocean view so don't do the upgrade.
We also had the good fortune to make some new friends when we were there and are all thinking of booking another trip together to go back next year.
All in all the Sun Wing package experience was above average and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Barbara C
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have writen lots of reviews but it has been awhile. I am dissapointed by my fellow reviewers! I checked TA to see what I might expect at the Riu Emerald Bay, Mazatlan, MX. I saw lots of ratings for 5 stars and excellent. I have been to numerous hotels in Mexico and this is far from a 5 Star. Someone said the food is bad, but what do you expect from Mexico.. I have had so many wonderful meals all over Mexico, so that is way off. SO I cannot complain about the price, ect as we were treated to a conference here, but people should be aware that they claim that this is a 5Star all inclusive, well the rooms are ok, everything is clean (that is always great) there is always food around, but the quality of the food is awful. You have to make reservations forspecial resturansn.which end up to be buffet anyway??
The breakfast is the only meal that was decent..it went on forever and you can get your eggs anyway you want them. At lunch everything is oily, greasie, fried, yuk. I stuck to the salad and also found pasta..yeah. (and some people told me not to eat the salad, as I could get sick, opps)
Now I am sure that heavy drinkers or people that like quantity vs. quality might like the fact that there are a couple bars with free flowing drinks, rooms come with a free 3 full bottle of local liquor dispenser and a mini bar with local beers, soda, and water. No snacks in the mini bar???
There is a nice lobby with waitresses walking around, but they are there to pick up empty glasses not serve you. As I said the rooms were nice in size. As stated before they all had views and being on 16th we had a great view with a balcony. The bathroom was typical Mexican Hotel big but we had a weird bathtub that was so difficult to get in and out of. Both of us almost fell several times..floors are slippery when wet. SO, has anyone ever stayed at a 5 Star that does not have so, conditions, lotion? Well bring your own if you are coming to the RIU. The people at the desk spoke English but acted like they did not understand me when I akes where the shampoo was.
I am here now only 3 days so I will finish this review when I get back to Cali..

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BlumaFelix
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Not to Rui standards. We stayed from Apr 23 to 30th.
Lots of Mexican's, and not only at weekend like I was reading in reviews before buying trip. They are taking over spaces near the pools and everywhere else.
My child left I-Pad under her clothing in the dresser under TV. It was stolen right away. Yes, my fault I didn't check on her that day. But having 2 kids it is not always easy to remember. In my opinion if you pay for your HTL room you don't expect someone going through your cloth and underwear while you are away! Management didn't care when we filled report and refused to give me copy of the report, saying that it is internal and I wont get anything. Nobody was in our room rather than made lady and she didn't see anything :).
Mexican family was staying in neighbor room and smoking like crazy, even smoke alarm was on a few times. I called customer service complaining that we have smoke in our room. They didn't care again! Mexicans were staying there for 2 nights and it was time when we could not stay in the room or sleep there. When I was trying to open sliding door, they started smoking outside and it was even worse. Our friends were staying at the HTL on the 17th floor and their neighbors were smoking as well, but they didn't complain since they knew they wont get anywhere from our experience.
Pools are crowded with Mexican kids with inflatables, their parents come with Loud music, and all of them are smoking.
Environment is not like in other Rui's . There is no wish to dress up tonight, everything is very very casual. Hotel is huge, I would prefer to stay in place with smaller buildings and nice pathways next time. There is no small animals like we saw in Riviera Maya before. Nature is not the same. Beach is nice, but ocean is rough, and we didn't want to take a chance. We stayed near the pool all the times, but had to change locations with known reasons.
Shows too short tonight, and participants more than a half are Mexican's. I didn't see people from Europe like it was when we went for vacations to Riviera Maya.
Yes, they are cleaning everywhere, food is ok. Drinks are local and cheap. Check in and check out fast.
I would not recommend HTL for people with higher expectations and those who want quiet times and no stress about smoking and stealing :)

Room Tip: Think more before going there
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank STaran
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We went April 19th to 26. 4 couples in our party and had a wonderful time. No big negatives. View from the rooms are great whether on 2 floor or 10th. One of our party did have a honeymoon suit on the 2nd floor over the disco and could hear the music but didn't bother them enough to feel the need to change. Elevators could take awhile during peak times so if that would bother you get a room on lower floor. I thought it was worth the spectacular view we had on the 10th. Hotel is really clean. Found all service staff to be good and friendly. Large variety of food at the buffet. If you cant find something you liked then you are way too picky! The only down side was the desserts. All kinda weird texture and tasted the same, even the ice cream wasn't very good. The only a la carte we liked was the Asian. Good sushi and tempera.

I would say about 50% of the guest were Mexican families. Other than they have no elevator etiquette( pushing on before people can get off and stepping in front of people who where waiting first) we found them to be mostly friendly. We were mostly in the adult only pool so weren't bothered by the kids too much.

Beach is beautiful but big waves. Fun to play in and body board but be careful. My husband had to get assistance from life guard when he got caught in the rib tide and was being carried down the beach.

This was our first trip to the pacific side and even though it was very nice, I think we will stick to the Caribbean side. You just can beat that turquois water.

High points- beach amazing, staff very good, rooms and hotel very clean, bar pool a blast!

Room Tip: choose lower floor if you don't like to wait for elevators, higher if you want an amazing view...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angela V
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The Sunwing flights were cozy and uneventful.The crew was excellent and very helpful.From the time we got off the plane and our Sunwing reps (Johny and Juan) picked us up, we had a hugely fun and relaxing time.
The staff was great at the Riu, from David meeting you at the front door (security was excellent) to all the cleaners and chambermaids.Silvia always meets you every morning with a smile and the best omelletts.Lyrisa was sadly hurt before we left and never had a chance to say goodbye to her ,but her entertainment skills were very above and beyond the call.Our best drink server Estaban was very entertaining, funny fast ,and a joy to be around.We had many servers in the buffet style restaurant and the waiters were very good to us in everyway.
Everything in the hotel was very clean and was always being cleaned.Beaches very swept nightly pools were very nice , really enjoyed the pools palapas too.
A special shout out to my friend Luis who cleaned up after everyone at the pools ,you were awesome buddy.
The front desk was easy to deal with and water and beer were replenished often.
After all said and done we will be returning in November again.
This trip was a 14 day allinclusive from April 12 to 26 ,2013.
We will be back.

Room Tip: get a lower room to avoid elevator waiting game
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Don G
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just got back from a two week vacation with my wife and two and half year old son. On arrival we were nice greeted with smiles and a complimentary drink and whisked off to a get our room keys, towel cards etc. Check in was very fast and smooth. We were assigned a room that was nice but requested a room more in the middle of the building so we would have a better view of the pool etc. and with a smile we accommodated, Great service.

The resort is big and very clean for the most part there is always someone cleaning every nook and cranny of the hotel. What really made the trip for us was the many of the servers that took the extra time to say hello, give high fives, smile, laugh with our son he loved them all and it made our stay all that more delightful.
The beach is clean and beautiful, the ocean a little rough so swimming was not an option but the there are enough pools to lounge in to make up for that. Finding a beach chair was never a problem so you could always find an area you enjoyed to relax in.
Now on to the food, there's always something open so finding something to eat is never a problem the problem we ran into was nights where we decided to eat at one of the a la carte restaurants we found the food to be absolutely horrid. If had to give my opinion updating and upgrading the a la carte menus is a must, thankfully the buffet's were good but after a while they became boring as well.
One thing to mention I've read a lot of people complaining about the locals that stay at the resort, I'm really not sure why as this is a hotel for all to stay at, yes they can be loud and a bit inconsiderate at times in buffet lines etc. but I found the majority of them were nice and actually livened up the atmosphere with their dancing liveliness.

Overall I would give this Hotel a 8.5/10 the city is also something all need to visit, it's safe, fun and beautiful, if anyone does decide to go make sure you get Julio, Renee or Mario as your servers at the buffet they were amazing and remember if you can please tip, a few dollars here and there goes a long way for them and they never expect it.

Gracias.....

Room Tip: if you want a room in the middle of the resort get one in the 30 - 40 range.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family