“Beware of using hotel Doctor!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Your first gift: 500 pts
Ranked #11 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
Canmore, Canada
“Beware of using hotel Doctor!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

Do not use the Doctor at the Hotel, it is a HUGE SCAM. My Husband needed 4 stitches and we ended up paying $1400 USD!!!!!!! On one of our last days we decided to go and visit the small Water Park that is behind the hotel “Mazagua”. It’s 150 Pesos per person, and is quite sketchy. The steps are uneven, slanty, only half of the slides are open at once, but they still have the slide entrances wide open. On the third slide we went on, we were both tossed off of the tube. My husband hit his head and had a 3 cm gash between his eye and eyebrow. We went to the first aid station, the ladies there were very nice, didn’t speak any English but conveyed that he needed stitches. They used butterfly bandages to hold the wound together, so it was no longer bleeding. We walked back to the hotel, went to the doctor’s office and no one was there. We asked at the spa if they knew when they doctor would be back. They said to that they front desk will page him. We went to the front desk, they said put us on the phone with a doctor and he said he would be there shortly. We waited two minutes and a man arrived and said that he was a doctor, but not the hotel’s regular doctor. The regular doctor had just gone to the hospital with someone who was bitten by a stingray. He looked at my husband’s wound and agreed that he needed stitches. He said that we would need to go to the clinic; he could drive us, but only one of us, as his car was too small. Or if we both wanted to go, we could take a taxi. We were still in our wet bathing suits, so we said fine, we would go change and then take a taxi. Everything seemed fairly reasonable. He then said if we didn’t’ mind waiting for about 1 – 1 ½ hrs, they regular doctor would be back and he could bring stuff to do my husband stitches there. He called the regular doctor, and it was arranged that we would wait in our room until he got back. 90 minutes later we were starting to worry, we then got a call from the front desk saying ‘someone’ would be there in about 20 minutes. The ‘someone’ that showed up was not a doctor, but two paramedics who didn’t speak any English. We went downstairs with them, when we saw a security guard we got him to act as a translator. After arguing with them for 5 minutes, explaining that the Doctor said he was coming here, we don’t need an ambulance, they called the Doctor. The Doctor said he was never coming back to the hotel and that we needed to go with them to the hospital. We finally agreed and they drove us about 10 minutes into the Golden Zone. We passed three medical clinics along the way, and ended up and a ‘tourist private clinic’. Clinic Balboa address: 4480 Plaza Balboa Zona Dorada, C.P. 82110 Mazatlan, Sin. Mexico. The doctor there froze my husband’s eye and gave him four stitches. We then got to ‘pay’. We were both in shock by the amount, the ambulance ride was $350 USD, and over $900 for everything else….for four stitches. When we got back to the hotel we went and asked to speak to a manager. The lady at the desk asked why. We briefly explained that we were upset with our medical bill using the hotel’s doctor. She said the manager would be down shortly. Five minutes later, the lady who was at the end of the front desk, the only one not in uniform, came over and talked to us. We explained what happened and she said ‘we were told that the hotel has nothing to do with the doctor and we were told that when we checked in’. We argued that, the Doctor operates out of the hotel, they have a contract with the Doctor to be there, so he is connected to the hotel and if we were hurt their protocol is to contact that Doctor, not give us other medical options. We were then given a Riu Chain e-mail address if we wanted to take this further. Needless to say, we were less than impressed with the ‘customer service’ that we received. Up until this point everything about our trip had gone really well. So beware if you do have an emergency and need medical attention, as per the front desk manager, if you don’t want to use the hotel doctor, you should go and ask front desk for the yellow pages and find your own doctor. My husband had his stitches taken out yesterday, and our Doctor was shocked by the amount it cost and the way they did the stitches. There were three stitches above and one underneath the skin. The one underneath the skin was not a ‘’dissolving” stitch, so our doctor had to dig to get it out, making it very painful and leaving a much larger scar than necessary.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank JRG123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

My first time writing a review and I’ve been to over 8 resorts. I had a bit more expectation since the trip reviews I read before going was positive and the hotel rated 17 of 74. Check in was very quick and simple and we were greeted with a nice drink. Overall service was very good by the waiters and especially bartenders (Gabriel in the conference room). He made sure the drinks are made perfectly fresh and refused to use the slush machine for Pina Coladas and Margaritas although it’s more work for him. Combined with a smile and great attitude he deserves 5 Stars. We had a bad experience with the complaints manager Erika when 2 males we met at the resort got kicked out for something they didn’t do. Someone broke into fire extinguishers and sprayed it on the 2nd floor of the hotel. Early that morning, the staff knocked on a few doors and found one room where there was some dirt or residue on the men’s shorts and shoes and immediately presumed these guys were the culprit. Fortunately my spouse and I were there to witness that they hung out with us and some other guest but the manager refused to listen and forced them to be accountable. Billed them and kicked them out. There was no justice. You are in their country and property and if at the wrong place at the wrong time, will be held responsible. Remember, this can happen to any of us. Who do we complain to about the complaints manager??
I really disagree with the way this hotel is being run. It is not a 5 star customer service policy. All the staff are held financially responsible if something goes wrong in their department say room service, entertainment, or cashier. I stayed for one week and every day, we borrow the volleyball to play because this hotel is very boring. The entertainment crew seemed too laidback and often found them entertaining themselves at the ping pong table. We had to keep ourselves busy by building a volleyball group. On our 6th day there, we had invited about 16 ppl to play and after 2 hrs of having a great time, the entertainment guy came and took the ball from us. Said he had to go for lunch and we needed to end our game because if the ball gets damaged, they will get in trouble. It was a real turn off especially after us being able to play any time of day up until then.
The landscaping, pool, lounge and reception area was impressively elegant which deserves a 5*. I am disappointed the room colour was dark blue and had such an old fashion touch. Every room seems to have an ocean view and large washrooms but the elevators were tight and I felt extremely claustrophobic. The stairwell was very roomy but I don’t think guest would appreciate walking up 20 floors.
There was about 200 Canadians at the resort. It seems like we were the only ones there besides the locals for holy weekend. The hotel had only 33% occupancy between May 9 to May 13. We were told by waiters that the A le carts were closed because not enough guests at the hotel. Never was all 3 A le carts open on the same day or half the time. We had to wake up at 7am line up for reservations for each night and was told restaurants are full by 9 although it was not when we walked by at dinner. This sucked and everyone resorted to the buffet which had repeat dishes. Luckily I was able to try the Asian and the Steakhouse. Asian was very authentic but the sushi was not up to par. The Steak was low grade steak not comparable to 3.5* I had in Mayan Rivieria. Definitely not AA grade so don’t keep your hopes high. The wine selection is very limited and they only have cheap liquor. I enjoyed most the Nachos with Guacamole, fresh salsa, can’t go wrong with eggs, salads and pasta. The roast beef, grilled fish was good. Chicken was super juicy. I like salty food but all the soups were too salty but ya all know that it’s personal preference when it comes to food. We left at 7am on the last day and I was disappointed they couldn’t even think about having some buns or coffee ready at the reception for a final farewell. They thought about us when we arrived but not when we left. There was lots of confusions and rumors about what A le carts were open and beach dinners and parties were cancelled without notification from staff. Very poorly planned and communicated.
The wifi was only available in reception area at certain spots. Just few minutes walking north of the resort, you’ll find Lionso’s seafood with large lobsters. Really fresh and cheap. If you exit through the front and make a right, then turn left you’ll find a little strip with a café. Buy a drink and you could use internet and make calls to US and CAN for FREE. A dude named Dennis works there and offers the cheapest surfing lessons which you won’t regret. I did my research and checked with locals before the surf lessons. Don’t miss the shrimp factory in town I hear they have palm size fresh shrimps. We paid $30 US split amongst 6 ppl for an open wagon to give us tour around the city. It’s very safe as we were told by local Americans and toured the city ourselves. The room tvs are small, all games and water sports are not free. They charge for local calls too.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Chinatos
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

Horrible experience there. The absolute worst thing possible happened to us. We (me and my friend) got blaimed for setting off 3 fire exstinguishers and were kicked out of the resort on day 2. This was ridiculous because the so called "manager" we were dealing with had no proof other than someone said that they saw me and my buddy walk into our room at 3am. Which was apparently right after the incedent had happened. This managers name was Erica. We did not do this and we were being accused of doing so on absolutely no proof. Then made us pay 450 dollars to pay for the extinguishers otherwise she would call the mexican police. Which is pretty much the last corrupt thing we need to deal with. We also had people with us that entire night to testify on our side that we did not do this. Everytime we questioned her about how she can do this for no reason, she just avoided the question while shaking her head.

As for the 2 days we were there, food was garbage (soggy) drinks were watered down to nothing. Service was extremely rude. Perhaps the only decent thing about the place was the hot weather and ocean. Even that sucked because the waves were stupidly intense

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
7 Thank Kiprusoff6
Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

I think the idea of an all-inclusive beach resort is to have a couple of relaxed days, where you don’t even have to sign a receipt for a meal. The problem of the Riu is that the beginning is so terrible; the rest of the stay won’t make up for it.

We arrived for a congress and I was travelling with a special guest for the meeting. At the moment of arrival, all the bags were taken and we had to stand on a line. We were offered acceptable refreshments and finally our turn arrived. We were greeted by a young woman who unluckily was incompetent. At the beginning, she didn’t found the reservation, after raising the voice it appeared! But wrong, instead of two rooms, one with king bed and the other with two beds, they had one room for four people and the other for one. Again, after asking in a not very passive way, we got the right rooms, but in different floors. After discussions, the lady went behind a small wall and came back minutes later saying it was okay. When we thought it was over, she asked us to pay. The room was already paid and they didn’t have on system! As we were congress guests, we didn’t have the receipts, so we had to call one of the organizers to bring (he was in another hotel, how intelligent) the papers. After twenty minutes there, this person arrived to the hotel and showed the requested things that were done a day before.

After that unpleasant issue, we asked to speak with the manager. The lady went again back and came. We had to asked in a rude way for many times when a woman claiming to be the manager. After telling how bad she was, she said that the lady attending us wasn’t an employee, instead an intern. What a terrible answer! If the intern doesn’t have enough capability she should be doing that, especially in a day when so many people arrived. Then we told her that the service was terrible (just see the two hours check in), and said it was our perception! After arguing we decided it wasn’t worth it, they will never recognize a mistake.

The rest of the stay was average. Rooms have the same layout every Riu has. The Room and the bathroom connected by a small entrance area. Our room was dirty at the beginning, but the problem was solved when we met a housekeeping member in the alley. Toiletries are bad, shampoo comes in sachets. The views are good. The alcoholic beverages in the room are cheap. Perhaps if you drink too much you can become blind.

The food in the hotel is less than average. Greasy, so when a little cold you can notice it. Shall the food felt. However certain items (changed everyday) were tasty. Service was good in the restaurants, specially a woman (I’m sorry I can’t remember her name) who was really sincere when doing her tasks and managed requests excellently. The only true downside is they should be stricter with people taking food with their hands. We preferred to have dinner out, so we never tried another restaurant.

Mazaltan is a lovely place, with beautiful sandy beaches, a picturesque downtown and delicious food.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors to avoid noise
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank bbffpp
Omaha, NE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

We returned from two weeks at RIU Emerald Bay & I wanted to take a few days to process the experience before I wrote. The resort is gorgeous~ Lush, very well manicured & extremely clean. RIU spared no expense on construction materials,especially in the common areas. Fabulous visual treat!

I wrote to the hotel in advance to ask for an upper floor room, a mattress pad and additional pillows~ I learned that trick from RIU Palace Cancun. All was ready when we arrived 2 hours before check in.

We stayed in a jacuzzi suite on the 21st floor (only two rooms on this floor) so it was very quiet. Eye candy view. The room was outstanding. Marble & granite finishes everywhere. Huge & with a walk in closet about the size of a NYC hotel room. A double balcony with Jacuzzi, seperate shower & inside Jacuzzi tub too~the room was grand in every respect .

We had no issues with service anywhere on the property. Always stocked bar, always clean room with swan towels & flowers, perfect cocktails ~ Thanks Gabriel~ and absolutely no problems with the elevators (except rude passengers). Elevator manners state that you let the passengers exit the elevator before you stampede in. This applies to adults & children.

The food was not as good as RIU Palace in Cancun, but well prepared and tastefully presented. We ate at all three of the ala carte restaurants ~ more than once. All three are worth the experience, but consistency was an issue at the steak house. We liked the Mexican restaurant the best. We were disappointed by the absence of outstanding seafood considering the location of the resort. I was expecting alot of huge fresh shrimp. We found that at Mr. Lionso's Playa Bruja and at Roys (off site) ~ both are a great value & within walking distance of the RIU.

The wine at the resort is indeed horrible ( As was the champagne delivered to our room on our anniversary). Other contributors have mentioned not having mimosa's at breakfast as a down side. But after experiencing 1 sip of the house champage I ask "Why ruin perfectly good orange juice?"~ There is a great liquor store on the main drag in golden zone and also a Sam's club. We bought wine & bubbly there. You know the wine is bad if you go to Sam's Club for a major upgrade:)

I was not aware of any sickness at the resort ~ with the exception of a few obvious "over indulgers". Drinking too much... that brings me to an issue of importance. All of the surfaces at the resort are very slick and there are very few handrails at the pools and on other stairs. Guests schlep around in wet swimwear with drinks & plates of food everywhere. Watch the floors (especially on the elevators) pool stairs, lobby stairs & whirlpools... wear rubber bottom shoes! I packed a bath mat to use in our shower & tubs.

Make friends with David , the Bell Captain. What a terrific guy~ he'll get you English speaking transportation to anywhere you want to go & is always there to welcome you "home" and ask about your day. Delightful guy! You have to hook up with Gustavo. He is the travel agent on site & has a station on the lobby level. Look for him in the flowered shirt. What a treasure. He was our first and last contact on this trip. He met our plane, made all of our tour arrangements, brought a flower bouquet for our room on our aniversary & accompanied us to the airport (in a taxi) & waited with us until we got to the gate to depart. He is a real charmer. Don't experience Mazatlan without him!

We went on a city tour~good, the Blue Agava Tour~ outstanding, and Salsa & Salsa ~ also outstanding. Spent alot of time in old Mazatlan & had fabulous seafood at La Cueva del Leon. Next door to a Looney Beans Coffee shop ~ Great coffee! There is also a Looney Beans in the "strip mall" north of the RIU. Worth the hike for some great coffee. If you aren't up the hike first thing in the morning, the Sportsbar has decent coffee.

We were very busy coming & going this trip. Unlike our stay at the RIU Palace where we only left once. There was a reason for this. The Children. I read the reviews of this resort before we went & thought how on earth can people be so intolerant of childen. Well I am one of those people now. Words can not express how overun this resort is with unruly children. They splash, scream, leave food everywhere, race around the pool areas, restaurants and all common areas. Have a SWedish massage at the Spa. Great experience & no children allowed in that building. Don't expect a quiet 9:00 PM dinner at the steak house, There will be screamers and runners, I guaranty it. Don't expect to lounge or nap at any of the pools. They literally crawl on you. It is deplorable.

I am going to send a leter to Riu about this children issue. They are going to have to decide what kind of resort they want to be. If it is a quiet & romatic getaway as the surroundings suggest, they have got to do something about the kids. I understand that the economy is terrible in Mazatlan right now & they have to keep the hotel occupied to stay in the black, but the philosophy of kids stay free & run wild is leaving a black mark on the property's reputation that may be difficult to reverse when the economy rebounds.

We felt very safe in Mazatlan & plan to return. Would love to return to the RIU but not until the wild children issue is addressed & resolved. Would I recommend this hotel? Yes & No. If you can find a week or two when you are certain that all kids are going to be in school~ yes.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Bink51
Kamsack, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

Stayed here for a week in late April, had absolutely no issues with the resort and property - at least nothing major in any case. My fiancee and I booked a jacuzzi suite and on check-in, found out we were on the 21st floor. The suite was amazing - a jacuzzi on the outside terrace, overlooking the ocean, large king bed and full washroom. In perfect condition. Despite other people complaining about the elevators, we never waited more than 3-4 minutes for an elevator, even on the 21st floor.

The food all week long was good, we ate at a couple of the a la carte restaurants just to mix things up a little bit - I thought the Mexican one was the best of the three. Staff were always friendly and very helpful, and the facilities were excellent, including the pools and spa.

The seafood restaurant up at the end of the beach (orange/yellow building) has amazing seafood - lobster and shrimp. Try the garlic lobster - 4 of them for $20! Delicious. There's also a sports bar in the outdoor market that shows Canadian hockey games - sadly I watched my Habs get eliminated - but the beer is cold and cheap (Corona and Pacifico for 20 pesos each).

All in all, we had a very relaxing stay with amazing weather. I would definitely return!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the jacuzzi suite!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Newfie_Screech
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

My girlfriend and I visited the Riu for a week right at the start of May. Overall we had a fabulous trip and would definitely return to Mazatlan!

The location was awesome. Costs about 120 pesos to head to the golden zone from the hotel, so not bad, but worth planning the day out. Would definitely recommend the "open cabs" or golf cart style. The cabbies are awesome, will crank the music if you want and it makes the trip worthwhile in itself. The best part about the location was where it was on the beach. Huge amount of beachfront that wasn't at all busy. Would recommend taking a stroll down the beach around sunset and taking in an absolutely amazing seafood dinner at Mr. Lionso's on the beach.

Rooms were nice, clean - no complaints. We were on the 6th floor and the view was excellent. Liquor dispenser was a nice thing to have. Bar fridge was restocked every second day. The only issue with the room was the elevators. They were pretty bad when things got remotely busy. It wasn't a huge deal, but it would probably be a good idea to have a room on a lower floor.

The food at the resort was pretty good. The buffet had nice variety, but it does get a little old after a while. There was a barbeque on the beach every day except one, which we loved. The mexican restaurant was definitely our favorite; everything that we had was great. The asian restaurant was okay, but nothing spectacular. It was a buffet and the next night at the general buffet ended up being asian night anyways! The steakhouse had great food as well, but if you don't want your meal mooing order at least medium. Ended up pretty much rare. The best food the whole trip was Mr. Lionso's by far. We had a massive basket for two people with a whole lobster, a whole fish, a fried fish filet, a garlic fish filet, huge garlic shrimp, and even bigger breaded shrimp. Crab and guacamole with chips to start was fantastic.

There were a lot of kids there when we went, so the pools were pretty busy, but it never really felt overly cramped. We wished there was a bit more adult only room besides the bar pool, but once again no biggie. The entertainment was pretty decent. We went to a few of the shows throughout the week and quite enjoyed the grease one. Never made it to the disco, but heard it was great as well. Constant activities by the pools kept things interesting during the day. The beach was amazing and we had lots of fun in the ocean. Only complaint there was that the resort never removed the red flag, despite the fact that most days the undertow wasn't strong at all. Seems to me that if they properly monitored the conditions that people would take the red flag a lot more seriously. Also annoying that the lifeguards spend all day blowing whistles at you to move into one tiny spot.

When booking tours, beware the stone island tour. It's cheap... normally $30 US, we got it for $25. Includes catamaran trip by some caves and to see the sea lions. We found out only once aboard that the sea lions had already migrated north. After passing the small rock they normally lay on we turned around and went all the way back to the marina... almost! Stone island is right beside where we left! We were also promised 2 one hour activities and a lunch during our 4 hour stay at the beach. The horseback riding lasted about 5 minutes... No reps to be found as soon as we arrived. Lunch was great and it was a nice beach, but we have an open bar and nice beach back at the resort too! The snorkeling option was not recommended due to murky waters, but once again we only found out after arriving. It's still a cheap and worthwhile trip, but my advise would be to go with the banana boats and kayaks for the activities.

Overall, the hotel was very nice. All the bars were enjoyable. If you didn't know what else to do the beach or sports bar were always great, yet very different options. Staff was great, as was most everyone we met in Mazatlan. Really enjoyed everywhere in the town we visited. We also saw the large cracks that ran up and down most of the hotel on both sides... definitely looked like a structural area of weakness, which is kind of sketchy. Hope Riu seriously looks into this. That being said, our vacation as a whole was fabulous and we would definitely come back to Mazatlan!

Room Tip: All oceanview. Aim low to avoid crappy elevators
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple