“On The Melicon”
Review of El Shrimp Bucket

El Shrimp Bucket
Ranked #89 of 429 Restaurants in Mazatlan
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Location is great for watching the world go by and enjoying the pelicans do their thing. The Melicon is at your doorstep. Food is good, price is right and the "Bucket" is a nice place to relax and take in the flavor of Mazatlan. Sorry, but no lobster.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

I highly recommend you eat breakfast at El Shrimp Bucket. We ate there almost every morning for the seven weeks we stayed in Old Mazatlan. What a great way to start the day. Their breakfast menu was extensive, the prices were reasonable and the meals were delicious. They have lots of friendly staff, which was another reason why we kept coming back. The location is ideal because it is directly across from the ocean. We preferred eating outside on the patio, but there is inside seating available as well. Musicians played for us on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Their clientele is composed mainly of Mexican people so the restaurant feels less "touristy". In fact, when we were eating there once so were the Mayor of Mazatlan and the Governor of the state of Sinaloa. That's a pretty good recommendation. Give it a try. You won't regret it. Brian Butterfield

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Old Mazatlan at its best. This is a nice restaurant with very helpful staff. It's not incredibly cheap but a good value for the food they serve you. I wasn't starving so I just ordered a shrimp cocktail which ended up being a good size portion plate, that was a surprise. The beer kept flowing and the staff was always attentive. The only drawback is the cruising traffic and an SUV's alarm that kept going off.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Just from reading all the positive remarks regarding this restaurant I had to go there and I was very disappointed. Mazatlan is one of the cities, in the entire world, that sells fresh shrimp direct from the boats that catch them in the Sea of Cortez. Saying this I expected some large tasty shrimp this afternoon but instead I was given pretty small shrimp. I ordered the breaded shrimp bucket that was to have 12 medium pieces but actually I got 14 small so thank you for that but that does not make up for the medium that I paid for.. The breaded crust used was tasteless and not properly spiced. I was given 2 pieces of warm bread and several different salsas which was needed. There were only four people in the restaurant when I arrived and it took awhile to be given a menu. I had to ask for some tortilla chips and the waited gave me some kind of terrible salsa to go with it. I did not complain about the size and just wanted to eat and leave. I also ordered two brownies to take with me to eat in the hotel room later and was given a small portion of vanilla ice cream. The waiter was a nice guy but after my food was served he never came back to ask if I needed anything else. I don't like the waiter to be next to me the entire time but come on--at the very least come back at least once! The shrimp dinner cost me $25.67, the brownies cost $9.88 and the iced tea I had was $2.01. This was at the current exchange rate of 12.90 for $1.00 USD. I am adding photos of the dishes served. The bucket also came with french fries and when you look at the bucket it looks large but is only half full of food. Here is what I don't understand Alejandro, who is one of the owners of the restaurant, with such a nice view of the ocean and a very nice area and location why can't you go the extra mile and offer some really good food instead of serving what I call, run of the mill tasteless dinners? I really wouldn't mind paying more for better service and food that I would go home feeling good about...... Go down to the dock and purchase the large shrimp. Considering you can get a kilo for about $12.00 and because you purchase a lot and can get it cheaper get the big boys and serve those. I would pay top dollar for LARGE FRESH SHRIMP! If you do this you will have a FULL restaurant and they will pay the price for premium food and the only complaints will be how long the wait is.. By the way, the two brownies were good as was the ice cream but almost ten dollars for two? I will come back tomorrow morning for breakfast how that goes. I have been to almost 90 different countries for my work and have eaten at some of the finest restaurants and your place has everything except good tastfull food and good waiters. Good luck and I only offer my true opinon in this review. SERVE GOOD FOOD AND THE MASSES WILL COME BACK TIME AND TIME AGAIN!

1  Thank bajapi
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stopped in for breakfast were really happy we did. Every plate was delicious. The staff are friendly, its affordable, the sweet breads were fresh and cooked on site which made a huge difference to other breakfasts we have had this vacation. I have written this so you can enjoy breakfast here more than once like we did. I wish we had had a chance to go back and try the evening menu. Looking forward to our next vacation!!!!