“Thrilled after reading so many negative reviews”
Review of Barcelo Karmina

Barcelo Karmina
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Manzanillo
Reviewed March 26, 2009

The resort is breathtakingly gorgeous. It is well maintained. All employees were friendly--some more than others--none was unfriendly. The food was wonderful, and this is what we were so nervous about after reading people's reviews. It was delicious, varied, fresh, lovely to look at. We ate at the 2 different "fancy" restaurants (Italian and Mexican) but actually preferred the food at the buffet for dinner (the advantage to the a la carte restaurants was no children). This is an extremely family-oriented resort and there are children everywhere. There are 6 pools, 3 of which are adults-only. But you need to know that the resort does not enforce that. The guests must. We had a favorite pool and I became the resident rule-enforcer (which everyone appreciated but no one else would do). Most of the people were apologetic and quickly left with their kids. others just said "gracias" and stayed. I even went and got security one day because it was ridiculous--an entire adult pool was taken over by families. Security talked with the families--one left, the others stayed. ALL of the offenders were Mexicans.

The beach is NOT great, so if you are a beach person, this area is not for you. We hired a local man who does private day tours in the area. He took us into the mountains, where we hiked thru a coffee plantation to a gorgeous waterfall, where we swam in the ice cold pool at the bottom. Had lunch at a wonderful cafe out in the middle of nowhere and the food was fresh, safe and delicious. Let me know if you want this man's name and #.

We would stay at this resort again in a heartbeat, were it not where it's located.

I had the best massage I've had in ages at the resort spa from Lucy!!

Oh, I must also comment on the shows at night. In the past, the resort shows where we've vacationed have been laughably amateurish and just so ridiculous that we didn't even think about going to any here. However, they have actual talent here and the one night we saw the show it was excellent. Trained dancers from other countries, good singers and nice costumes. Wish we'd seen more shows.

The only downfall (pardon the pun) to this trip is that I fell and shattered my kneecap. The tiles by the pools are VERY slippery--I would suggest always wearing something on your feet.

4  Thank Dramagurl
Citlally C, Guest Experience Manager at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2017

Thank you for the great feedback of your holiday experience at our Barceló Karmina; guest satisfaction is our number one goal and there is nothing better than achieving that, we are happy our hotel and staff were able to meet all your needs during your stay.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,439)

Reviewed March 25, 2009

We just got back from the Karmina Palace, we were there from March 13th to March 20th. If you like Mexico then this is the place to go to see and feel authentic Mexico at its best. The resort is so incredibly beautiful and spotlessly clean. The staff never stops working from morning until night. I have never seen such beautiful gardens, flowers and landscaping. I must say that most of the reviews we read were right on. There were no surprises for us except one that the resort was more beautiful then the pictures we saw or the reviews we read. We would defintely go back. The only minor irritation for us as a couple is that on the weekends it seemed to get very busy and packed with Mexican tourists, beach area and pool areas were at times difficult to get a lounger to lay out on, later on in the week it was much quieter. A gorgeous place, you can travel to nearby areas by city bus, cab or take an excursion and feel completely safe. You can take a leisurely walk to Walmart right from the resort or to a few other shopping plazas. It is conveniently located nearby many anemities. Rooms unbelievable and huge!!! All marble and ceramic!!! Food as usual at an all inclusive is at times repetitive but that is the same with all buffets at any of the other resorts we have been to. Please do not hesitate to go you won't be dissapointed, it is truly a gem and a palace!

3  Thank scottnsherry

Firstly we would like to thank you for the lovely review you shared following your visit to our Barceló hotel and are delighted to read that we were able to match your holiday expectations.

Reviewed March 21, 2009

I rarely take the time to write a review such as this one... however... the Barcelo Karmina Palace was absolutely breathtakingly incredible!

Lobby/rooms... astonishingly beautiful... a postcard-like view from every angle!

Food... buffet was a tad repetitive but delicious nonetheless... both a la carte restaurants were top notch!

Beach... rocky to one side... which makes for fantastic snorkeling! Swim out with a banana and all the tropical fish will flock to you! Bring aqua-socks (water shoes), as the sand can get very hot!

Service... this was the best part! Everyone on staff seems genuinely happy, which makes for a very positive stay! Small tips will certainly help!

To all potential vacationers, please do not listen to reviews about overly-sugary welcome drinks, cold pool water, etc... everyone can find fault somewhere! I have stayed in hotels around the world, and you will CERTAINLY LOVE the Barcelo Karmina Palace!

2  Thank CanadianBoy81

Firstly we would like to thank you for choosing our Barceló Karmina hotel for your holidays in Manzanillo and for the review, all of your kind words about your stay with us are great to hear

Reviewed March 17, 2009

Just returned from the Karmina Palace on Friday March 13. What a wonderfrul trip! This was a "girls" getaway - my mom, my daughter, my granddaughter and myself. The staff, without exception treated my grandaughter (4) like a princess!
As stated many times - this is a beautiful hotel. Grounds - rooms - staff - the whole package. If you are a "beach" person - not the ultimate best ---but the pools more than make up for it!
We did the little shopping excursion/ sight seeing trip right away - for $20.00 it was a great way to get orientated to the area.
We did the Eco Tour (turtle sanctuary) -- was quite fun. We were lucky that we got to do a release of the baby turtles into the ocean.
Overall a great holiday - would certainly return.
Manzanillo is a charming town - very clean - always felt very safe.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family

Thank you very much for leaving these wonderful comments on Tripadvisor, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay among us.

Reviewed March 4, 2009

After a rough flight Outta Calgary we arrived in Mazanillo,going through the airport was a breeze,(got to play red light green light).Got on the nice air conditioned bus with nice cold coronas.and off we went to the hotel,We arrived for a quick check in and were taken up to our room, the rooms are elegant and huge (the bathrooms have double sinks). The air conditioning worked so well we had to change the temp a little.The hotel is very nice ,very clean, and the grounds are well kept,The food is good for a all inclusive,there are a lot of different things to try and if you dont like it you eat something else.The beach is a little small and can get crowded ( lots of kids) but the ocean is warm.We went kayaking every day,if you go early in the day the ocean is a lot calmer .We went on a shopping tour ,the tour took us through the Hotel areas ,with some photo time and then into manzanillo.The town is small with not a lot of shopping,typical tourist stores for Mexico.They have a walmart store and a starbucks about a 10 minute walk from the hotel.Things I liked were the Hotel was great,the food was good,the drinks were good (better when you asked for Higher quality liquer) the entertainment was so so. I wouldnt go back to manzanillo, out of all the places we have been to in Mexico I liked it the least.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 4, 2009

We spent one week at Karmina Palace from Feb 20th. Arriving late was not great and check in could have gone a little quicker but the lobby bar and buffet were open and it was a short drive from the airport. We were all very happy with the rooms, extremely spacious, huge bathrooms with full bath and separate showers, sitting area, 2 t.vs, mini bar stocked with beer, water and pop. Large balconies, comfy king bed and lots of cabinet space. Waking up in the morning and looking out at the property was a nice surprise the view was beautiful. The pools and grounds were captivating and the lobby was so impressive and we headed to the buffet for breakfast. When you enter the restaurant you can help yourself to coffee, tea or champagne and orange juice. You have a choice of eating inside or outside and the service was quick and friendly and no problem with English. The other restaurants were Italian and Mexican and you can make reservations 3 times during the week. We found out early that when you ordered beef madalion you actually got steak and everyone enjoyed their meals. Lunch was available at the buffet and the Italian and we never had a problem getting tables for 10 or 2 tables of 6 and we found the service to be good. The pools are amazing and although there isn't a swim up bar they had great waiter service around the pools and several bars close by. The small beach area is limited and not that great but to one side of the hotel was a long beach that you could walk forever but no shade or rest stops, as most of the properties were condos not hotels. Some of our group golfed and said it was a great course and would recommend it. Ten of us all went deep-sea fishing and we were the envy of other boats. In 5 hours we caught 10 fish that's 2 an hour and the highlight was an 8ft, 80lb pound sailfish but we also caught 6 Mahi Mahi ranging from 15lbs-45lbs and others. The cost was 300.00us total for 5 hours and they had 8 rods, deal of the week for sure. The weather couldn't have been better 86-88 everyday not one cloud. We didn't travel with any kids but the ones that were there were enjoying the many pools and services like the help yourself snack bar for hamburgers hot dogs and chips and fruit. Through out the week we had no probelm getting extra water or beer for the mini bar from the maid and once I offered a tip for the extra beverages and the maid wouldn't take it so I left in my room for the next hoping it would be the same maid. We did tip, but not overboard and we had no problem with service or language. Our group for the most part go away every year and at the end of this trip we had 10 thumbs up and agreed we go back.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank Travelling4u

Reviewed March 2, 2009

We stayed at the Karmina Palce for a week in Mid December and had an absolutely amazing time. We are actually planning to return in December 2009 to be married at this resort. The standard rooms are the nicest, biggest hotel rooms I have ever seen and are always clean regardless of if you tip or not. I always tip and I am always pleased with the results, just my nature. I put 20 pesos in my beer fridge every day and I always recieved 6 Supercans of Sol, instead of 2 like everyone else. I am thinking it was the time of season we went, but the resort wasn't over crowded and there was a tremendous amount of Spanish people from Mexico, South America, etc. I found this to be absolutely amazing and fun to meet so many people from different cultures. The language barrier is a fun and challenging barrier. My suggestion is to remember that you are going to Mexico, so take the time and learn some basic Spanish. I don't feel that the staff should have to speak English to accommidate American and Canadian tourists. If that is the case, maybe they should learn Russian and Japanense and every other language. Whatever country you are visiting, don't be ignorant, learn the language! I talk myself most of the Spanish I know, so trust me if I can do it, you can too! Manzanillo is a very different than Cancun and Mazatlan, and I like that about it. There isn't any Hard Rock Cafe and Senor Frogs every 10 feet. There is real Mexican people and little shops and just regular people making a living here. The day trips you can go on are very cheap in comparison too. The scenery on and off the resort are amazing. There are lush mountains and miles of beach on both sides of this resort. Manzanillo is where the Movie "10" with Bo Derek and Dustin Hoffman was filmed, just north of the Karmina Palace. The beauty and charm of this area of Mexico has also caught the eye of Bill Gates and Julia Roberts, who have homes here. Sorry, I am gettting off topic. Back to the resort, the food was just fine. I am not a fussy eater mind you and I also don't mind eating at a buffet. The buffets, I found to always having something different and yes there was days that there repitition too, but guess what, you will find find repitition at every buffet restaurant in the world. The ala carte restaurants had great food and the staff are very accommidating and pay close attention to their guests. A good thing to remember, is that tipping is not required, but it can also be the difference between having a good trip and a great vacation.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NIPPLEDAVE

Thank you for the time you spent to share your feedback on your stay at our Barceló Karmina, to be considered as one of the best hotels you stayed at is certainly high praise