The resort is breathtakingly gorgeous. It is well maintained. All employees were friendly--some more than others--none was unfriendly. The food was wonderful, and this is what we were so nervous about after reading people's reviews. It was delicious, varied, fresh, lovely to look at. We ate at the 2 different "fancy" restaurants (Italian and Mexican) but actually preferred the food at the buffet for dinner (the advantage to the a la carte restaurants was no children). This is an extremely family-oriented resort and there are children everywhere. There are 6 pools, 3 of which are adults-only. But you need to know that the resort does not enforce that. The guests must. We had a favorite pool and I became the resident rule-enforcer (which everyone appreciated but no one else would do). Most of the people were apologetic and quickly left with their kids. others just said "gracias" and stayed. I even went and got security one day because it was ridiculous--an entire adult pool was taken over by families. Security talked with the families--one left, the others stayed. ALL of the offenders were Mexicans.
The beach is NOT great, so if you are a beach person, this area is not for you. We hired a local man who does private day tours in the area. He took us into the mountains, where we hiked thru a coffee plantation to a gorgeous waterfall, where we swam in the ice cold pool at the bottom. Had lunch at a wonderful cafe out in the middle of nowhere and the food was fresh, safe and delicious. Let me know if you want this man's name and #.
We would stay at this resort again in a heartbeat, were it not where it's located.
I had the best massage I've had in ages at the resort spa from Lucy!!
Oh, I must also comment on the shows at night. In the past, the resort shows where we've vacationed have been laughably amateurish and just so ridiculous that we didn't even think about going to any here. However, they have actual talent here and the one night we saw the show it was excellent. Trained dancers from other countries, good singers and nice costumes. Wish we'd seen more shows.
The only downfall (pardon the pun) to this trip is that I fell and shattered my kneecap. The tiles by the pools are VERY slippery--I would suggest always wearing something on your feet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Barcelo Karmina***** hotel has been recognised with the prestigious AAA 4-Diamonds award. It is a spectacular feat of architecture inspired by the Mayan temples. Its tropical gardens with palm trees, along with 6 interconnecting swimming pools with waterfalls, create a romantic and relaxing paradise in a place brimming with fun for all the family. This 5-star hotel offers 324 luxury suites fully fitted with everything you need for a comfortable stay. In addition, all suites have balconies and excellent views of either the tropical gardens or the sea. The Barcelo All Inclusive programme at Barcelo Karmina hotel has been designed to ensure your complete satisfaction, enabling you to enjoy our 4 restaurants and their varied cuisine from different countries: Japanese, Mexican, Italian and international. And to complete your holiday in this spectacular luxurious resort, relax in the U-Spa, enjoy the gym, the beauty centre and attend the nightly shows and lively nightclub. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Barcelo, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Barcelo Karmina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Karmina Palace Deluxe Hotel Manzanillo
- Karmina Palace Manzanillo
- Barcelo Hotel Karmina Palace
- Barcelo Hotel Manzanillo