“30th Anniversary in Manzanillo”
Review of Barcelo Karmina

Barcelo Karmina
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Manzanillo
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We have been to the Barcelo in Ixtapa multiple times and it is the best value on the Ixtapa strip by far. This past January we splurged and went to the Barcelo Karmina Palace/Manzanillo which is a couple hundred miles north of Ixtapa but has the same consistently great winter weather - always nice & warm, always sunny or slightly overcast and almost never rains. We were not disappointed. This hotel commands a prime spot on the bay with its own tiny little cove and beach which is bracketed on either side by the 18th hole of Las Hadas - a par 3 over water. We upgraded to the Premium package which got us a very nice suite with incredible bathroom and great view, unlimited dinners at the ala carte restaurants and premium drinks. The drinks and Premium Club room were somewhat of a joke - you had to make your own drinks and the food was canapes and assorted appetizers from the buffet - not wonderful but not a big deal since there is all the food you want anyway in the All-Inclusive package. Food and beverage staff was fantastic - especially Francisco and Pedro at the nice restaurants. The concierge got us the most romantic table for our 30th anniversary dinner out at the palapa restaurant that was perched over the water on this little balcony set below the main dining area - very special. The only negative I would report is that the front desk staff was less than friendly and helpful. They advertize that they will change money but only do during very limited hours. There is not much to do in Manzanillo and that is OK with us. The pool complex is huge with lots of seperate areas to hang out. We enjoyed plenty of space except for the obnoxious Canadian motormouth who wanted to be sure that EVERYONE heard his important conversations - what a boor. The rest of the gringoes were almost all Canadians and we really enjoyed meeting and chatting with a number of them. And you gotta try the waterslide! Even though it is posted as age-restricted, we snuck up and tried it - what a kick in the butt! Absolutely FLEW down and landed almost upside down. My wife lost her bikini top - lotta fun! Definitely give this place a try!

Room Tip: Buy the Premium package and you get a Ocean View upgrade and nicer suite.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Barcelo Karmina P, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear SteveTheStoneGuy,

We are delighted to read your comments over your stay in January at Barcelo Karmina.
It is always very pleasing to read that you enjoyed our grounds, pool, (specially our kid’s waterslide :) ) Indeed our romantic table in the Agave Restaurant is incredible, and we are glad that you enjoyed such an important day like your 30th anniversary!
We will pass on your kind comments to Pedro & Francisco.

We truly hope to welcome you back on your next holidays.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I stayed here the week of March 31st and had an absolutely wonderful stay! I was planning to come for only a few days for a wedding that we being held there on the 5th of April, but after reading the previous reviews decided to book a week long package deal- which was a great value and definitely worth it! Once we arrived at Karmina Palace, there was so much to see and do on the resort, and I really enjoyed the resort layout because it did not seem clustered with people and also wasn't too big in size which made it easier to navigate around. The food was delicious and so much variety and the entertainment and pools and (small) beach were amazing, but I think it was the staff who made my stay even more enjoyable than the rest. They were very accommodating and so friendly, anywhere from changing the lobby TV to a soccer match to watch to always making sure I had a drink in hand! Special thank-you to a few of the staff who I found had exceptional service - Christian, Margarido,Luisa, Vincinte during my buffet meals and Manuel and Cesar in the lobby bar.
All in all, there are always small negative things you can pick at for this resort, but there always seemed to be an easy fix. If you prefer a bigger beach there are many close-by options to go to. One tip though; reservations for a la carte fill up very quickly so try to book as soon as you get there or even call and reserve beforehand as there is limited availability- luckily we were able to get into all three and I thought all three were deilicious.
One issue I think Barcelo as a resort should look in to as a whole is charging for Wi-Fi- I heard a lot of complaints about that, as people really only went on the internet for a few minutes a day and even though there are a few computer available that charge by the minute it can be impractical.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Amanda_1404,
On behalf of the team of Barcelo Karmina, we would like to thank you for your comments over your recent stay. We are glad that your decision of staying a bit longer was completely worth it! We are very pleased to know that you enjoy the grounds, services, food we offered. And most of all for highlighting the friendliness of our staff, this is our number one goal! We will pass on your comments to Christian, Margarito, Luisa, Vicente, Manuel and Cesar.

It will be an honor to have the opportunity in serving and welcoming you back to your beach home.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

The Karmina Palace is a solid four star resort. It's not super luxurious (it's not super expensive either) but it has a lot of very nice features. The pool area, built on three levels, is incredible with lush mature vegetation and water features like water falls and fountains everywhere. The rooms are dated but spacious and clean. We booked a standard room and actually received one with a partial ocean view. The drink service around the pools was excellent and the lobby bartenders really knew their stuff. The food at the buffet was good. Ask for an outside table, the views are spectacular. The views from the Mexican and Italian a la carte restaurants were breathtaking and the food did not disappoint. The Capri restaurant (Italian) is also sporadically open for breakfast and lunch. At lunch try the shrimp burrito, it's incredible. The resort caters to a lot of families but also has two adult only sections, a pool and a jacuzzi. The lagoon style beach is small, great for children but not much to stroll. The public beach south of the resort is expansive but difficult to access. The resort is within walking distance of many urban amenities including restaurants and retail outlets. The weather was fantastic. We are a middle aged couple who appreciate nice things and enjoy good food and scenery. We try not to let small things ruin our vacation. This was our sixth trip to Mexico in the last two years. We're rookies compared to some reviewers but one thing we've learned is that at most resorts there is little communication between the front desk and housekeeping. If you need something ask your room maid or a housekeeping supervisor. We asked for a mattress topper at the front desk because the beds are hard but did not get one. All in all, we loved the location and the natural beauty of the resort. We would recommend the Karmina Palace to anyone looking for a relaxing no frills resort that delivers great service and value. We will definitely return. We stayed at the resort from March 24 - 31/2014.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gary H
Barcelo Karmina P, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear Gary H,
We would like to thank you for having chosen Barcelo Karmina Palace for your vacations also for taking the time to post a detailed review about your experience among us. We greatly appreciate all of your comments and glad to read had a delightful stay. It is rewarding to read that you enjoyed our grounds, pool, suites and services, having an overall great experience.

We hope to have the opportunity in the near future to welcome you again.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

This was our 4th stay at the Karmina, we were there Mar 24-31, 2014, Jan 20-27, 2014, as well as 2011 and for 2 weeks in 2010. We love the location, the resort itself and the staff. We've never had any complaints about anything until this trip, where after we booked we discovered there is no longer free wifi. This is a problem for me, as I do need it for work, even when I'm on holidays. I have no issue with going to the lobby for free wifi, but believe that it should be free in this day and age. When I look to book a resort, if it doesn't have free wifi, I skip it and move on to the next one. I doubt I'm the only one that does this, and management needs to hear from guests and potential guests about this issue. We discussed it with the front desk manager, and even after informing here of all our previous visits and the other people we brought to the resort it didn't change anything. We filled out the feedback form in the room, so hopefully they realize that they may lose business over something that is such a small thing for them to provide. I went to buy wifi service at the front desk, and they didn't tell me they had packages that were for 3 days or for 7 days, just sold me the one day rate. Also, there was discussion that the amount is going to go up, at the moment appro $7/day US, and they said it will go up to $14 or $15.
If this isn't an issue for you, then you'll love the resort, but it is a problem for me, so I'll have to see if I'll return in the future if this policy doesn't change.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank trishiepooh

Dear trishiepooh,

We greatly appreciate the time you took to comment over your recent stay and for choosing us for the fourth time!
Regarding the internet issues, we truly lament that the transition from being free to have an additional charge happened during our stay, in this case there isn’t a best day to make the change as we must follow the company’s policy of charging the WiFi. None the less, I would like to comment that our Club Premium guests will receive the free WiFi access. However, we will comment with our Front Desk staff so they can be more precise with the information they offer to our guests and explain all of the possibilities.

It’s our sincere hope to have the opportunity to welcome you maybe this year or in the near future to show you our commitment to excellence.

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stayed at this resort March 29th-April 5th. There were 6 adults. I have stayed at 20 all inclusive resorts in the last 6 years. There was nothing bad about the resort, but nothing great either.

Restaurants: Book them as soon as you arrive otherwise you will get a 9:30 reservation (which to me is too late to eat dinner). Skip the Japanese. The Mexican was great. The Italian was pretty good. Armando (one of the servers) is FANTASTIC! Ask to be seated in his section.
Reception: They aren't friendly. They do their job, but nothing more.
Lobby: The bar is nice. The workers here are great.
Pool: Chairs need to be replaced. Many were broken and they are pretty uncomfortable. The towel shack needs to be closer to the pool in my opinion. I also hate having to carry a towel card. I get that it's their policy but it is a pain. I'm on vacation to relax, not to worry about a card that will cost me $20 if I lose it.
Shops/Currency: They do not accept dollars at any stores. You either have to have Pesos or use a credit card. If you try to change your $$ at the reception you must have a passport. None of your bills can be wrinkled either (they won't accept those). It took a long time for reception to change currency. They are NOT fast!!! Also, we tried to buy a bottle of wine at dinner with pesos and we couldn't. We had to use a credit card. I think that is crazy. The rules need to be the same at all places.
Rooms: they are dated, but spacious. The shower leaks and it is all tile so we just placed down some towels. This happened to everyone in all 3 rooms in our party as well as numerous guests that we talked to. Great closet space and dresser space.
Housekeeping: They do the minimum. Make beds, change towels. They didn't even come to our room one day.
WIFI: You have to pay. You get it in the lobby and by some pools (again if you pay). You will not get it in your room even if you do pay. It cost $30 for 7 days.
Alcohol: I have never been to an all inclusive resort that doesn't make mojitos. They do not muddle is what the bartender told us. They also will only give Bailey's (for a night cap) at an extra charge of $9. Again, that has never happened at any other resort I went to. They also do not have coffee at the bars, they said only in the restaurants. Again, that has never happened to me at any other resort. It didn't ruin the trip, but it was weird.

This resort needs to work on customer service. I will not return unless they make major changes.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank kmonegan

Dear kmonegan,
We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration. We welcome all your suggestions which have been shared with our Management team and will work our best to improve. We are glad to read that you had an overall good experience and that you enjoyed.

It’s our sincere hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the near future to show you our commitment to excellence.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

We visited this resort from Mar. 24 to 31 and it is by far the best place we have ever been on an all inclusive vacation. We are "older" and have travelled extensively for the last 30 plus years so have lots to compare with. I am not going to go into repeating what others have said as everything was perfect.......we have absolutely no complaints. A few reviewers mentioned the hard beds which concerned us but they were totally fine....actually very very comfortable. The only negative point and we knew that before booking was that the so called beach is very very small but we went there everyday as it was quiet, close to the snack bar and we had our ever faithful Roberto to serve us drinks from morning till evening. We are nitpickers so would tell you if there was anything we didn't like but honestly, it was truly an awesome week in paradise. Give it a go, you will not be disappointed!!!!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bdfritz

Dear bdfritz,
We are delighted to read your excellent comments over your recent stay at Barcelo Karmina.
It is always very pleasing to know that our guests enjoy the services and that they had a memorable vacation among us.
We hope you had a pleasant journey back home and wish to welcome you back soon!

Sunny regards,

Reviewed April 3, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here from March 24-31, 2014. We had an amazing time here. Everything was top notch...the room, the food, the drinks, the service...you name it. I have stayed at approximately 15 resorts across the Caribbean, Mexico, and South America, and this place rates in the top 3 for me. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone, and would love to go back again. If you have any specific questions, send me a message and I'll do my best to answer.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Metcat
Barcelo Karmina P, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear Metcat,
We greatly appreciate that you took the time in reviewing your recent experience at our hotel, Barcelo Karmina Palace. And glad to read that you had a wonderful time among us, enjoying the grounds, food & service and feel truly honored to be in your top 3 favorite resorts.

We hope that we can welcome you back in the near future! And we thank you once again for your kind comments.

Best regards,