“Loved it.....will be back next year for sure” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barcelo Karmina

Barcelo Karmina
Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“Loved it.....will be back next year for sure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed here, Feb 19-26 and loved every minute of it. Last year we stayed at the Tesoro and for the extra couple hundred bucks it was worth ever penny.

Check In was quick and painless for us and we even got a welcome margarita, our room was on the 6th floor and had an amazing view of the ocean, beach and pool area. House keeping was good, fridge stocked with 4 beers, 2 waters, 2 bags of nuts and a bag of chips. A/C worked great all week.

Food was really good at the buffet and was always something different. Waiters really went all out to make sure you were happy and served. Bars were quick and service was just as good. The only thing i didn't like was I couldn't get a mojito anywhere on the resort...oh well

We went fishing a few days with Discover Manzanillo and had a great time. First day we caught an 8'6" sailfish, next day our boat caught a 10'3" Blue Marlin, and the other boat caught about 20 - 25 Dorados. Some of our group went out again and caught a few tuna and lost a sailfish and on the other day they didn't get any fish but managed to save a humpback whale from a fishing net!!

Talk to Mariano and the boys at the towel hut and they will set you up with all that you need.

Everything that I liked or loved has been mentioned already, staff for the most part spoke decent English but we are quests in their country so I don't expect them to speak it perfectly. the A la Carte system was a bit of a pain but worth it in my opinion, the Mexican and Japanese were my favorites.

As far as AI in manzanillo goes this one is up there for quality and price...

We will be back next year for sure, hopefully for 2 weeks

Room Tip: Try and request oceanview on the 6th or 7th floor for the best view
1 Thank Beaner204

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

What can I say about the Karmina Palace. It's a beautiful resort with everything you could want. The staff are polite, friendly and professional. The grounds are gorgeous. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. I don't think I have stayed in a better resort in all of my trips to Mexico. They have adult pools and family pools. The food was delicious with lots of variety. You can walk to the street and catch the local bus and tour the city or walk the beach for miles. The hotel beach is full of fish and you don't even need your snorkel gear. I will definitely return to Manzanillo and the Karmina Palace.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful - but personally - I prefer a room the is not on the main floor. Flo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank sunshine2009
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a friends wedding and it was absolutely beautiful!! It is one of the cleanest resorts I have ever been to! It was quite expensive but worth your money if you like all inclusive. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were HUGE! Great big bathroom with shower and bathtub, I love to bath so I am very pleased when hotels have a tub. It isn't all that common I have found. There are 5 different pools, so you have lots of choice. An adult only pool, a kids pool, a general activities pool and my personal favorite a small shallow pool that was quite warm and then another horseshoe shaped pool that was kind of hidden and always very quiet and relaxing! There is also a hot tub (I didn't find it overly warm so I didn't use it much) there are 3 a-la-carte restaurants. 2 I would highly recommend! The Italian was my absolute favorite! If you go you must have the creamy spinach soup to start! Delicious! For my meal I had the steak with fettuccine, it was quite good. Next up is the Mexican restaurant. We visited here twice for supper, the first time was mediocre. We tried the lobster and pumpkin flower crepes, which were edible but nothing amazing as well as some dish with mole sauce. Gross! I guess if you like that go for it but I wouldn't recommend it. The next time we ate there we went all out and enjoyed a bowl of the clam chowder, the shrimp stuffed avacado(AMAZING) and for the entree I had the duck! I had never eaten duck and I was expecting something similar to chicken. To my surprise it was nothing like chicken, but it was so moist and tasty, I loved it! The desserts at all the restaurants are average. They are Mexican so they are nothing like the rich, creamy, fattening ones we love! Lol ! Third there is a Japanese restaurant, don't even waste your time! We were at the resort with 90 people in our group and I did not hear one good thing from anyone that even attempted to eat there! So use your 3 a-la-carte coupons elsewhere. The drinks were tasty, but got a little tiring, as there was no menu or sign listing the drinks that I have seen at other resorts. But after a few days we discovered the mango daiquiris that were quite good as well as the fantasia. Which is a tasty delight of wine, sprite, peach and whatever else they throw in it. The buffet was good, but I did tire of eating there everyday for breakfast. So a little tip is to make your self BLT sandwiches or clubhouses, get creative I thoroughly enjoyed my breakfast sandwiches over the same scrambled eggs and left over meats they out out day after day! The snack bar down by the ocean was quite good to. We only at there a few times but the burgers and fries were cooked by a chef there so they were fresh and the self serve soft ice cream was good to. My only complaint food wise would be that you can't get anything to eat after 11. I enjoy resorts that have a snack shack open for layer in the night of after the disco. There is free wifi in the lobby area that was kind of touch and go, but served our need for the few times we used it. The beach is literally RIGHT there so that was an added bonus! You didn't have to go to far to refill a drink or get a snack! There are lots of little fish as well as sting rays that we seen right in the bay there. On Sunday we took the dinner boat cruise that the resort offers. It was $50 and well worth it. Drinks on the boat ride over there and then a delicious supper on the beach. Have the Maui Maui if you go! FRESH and it has an amazing sauce on it. You can probably tell based on tho review that I like to eat!!! Also if you do need anything the resort is perfect location to venture out. We walked to Walmart to buy pool floaties and a few other things. It is about a 10 mintute walk out of the resort to the road and then hang a right for another 10-15 minutes and you will pass the Mega store, a small mall and Walmart! It was great!

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Brandicelee
Ladysmith, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

We had a wonderful two weeks at the Karmina. We had stayed here in 2007 and this was the first time we have returned to a vacation destination. We were not disappointed. The rooms are incredible and the ocean view spectacular. The staff are friendly, helpful and efficient. The gardens are immaculate. The pools were clean. The food was great - lots of variety and choices. No complaints about the buffet.
The only negative was the a la carte restaurants and the reservation system. We were required to line up each time we wanted to make a reservation. Usually only two of the three restaurants were open and they were booked quickly. It was not a good system and not a good way to spend your vacation time lining up with dozens of others for a dinner reservation(6 times for 2 weeks). The restaurants were not staffed fully and so they also limited the number of people dining.m Most of the time when you went for dinner there were lots of empty tables. The meals varied from night to night and from table to table. We were travelling with others and while some of us had an excellent meal, others would report a not so great meal. It is the only complaint I have about an otherwise awesome resort.

Room Tip: We had a corner room with an ocean view. It was only a slightly higher cost and worth it for the bea...
1 Thank SassyLassy1955
Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

We had a wonderful time at the Karmina, we enjoyed our stay and will go back for two weeks next time! I would agree with the previous reviews so I won't repeat what they have already written. We didn't request (or pay for) a ocean view room and I will do that on our next trip, I think that would be will worth the extra price.

Room Tip: Take hand sanitizer and use after you have dished up at the buffet before you start eating. We did...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Manitoba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I are in our early 50s and have been to the Barcelo in Huatulco and loved it and so we decided to try the Barcelo Karmina Palace in Manzanillo. We were not disappointed! Here’s why:

Reception: quite quick, buses were arranged for just our hotel so no stopping anywhere else, mind you there are not a lot of big chain hotels in Manzanillo. Took maybe 20 minutes from the Airport. Met with the usual welcome drink (in this instance a Margarita – as always this is a nice touch). We had opted for an Ocean view room on the 5th floor or higher and were given a wonderful room facing away from the pool area and overlooking the golf course and Manzanillo Bay … we woke every morning to the sunrise and have some great pictures as a result.

Rooms: were wonderfully huge. The washroom had two sets of double louvered doors opening to a marble tub with a toilet (enclosed in glass) on one side and a glass shower on the opposite side. There were separate sinks - one at each end ... which we loved ... I could spread out all my cosmetics and not have to share my space LOL!

Wi-Fi: a bit intermittent in the lobby but it was free. There were also 3 desktop computers on the lower lobby that one can use as well and no difficulties getting “on” TIP: the @ sign is a bit tricky and not as listed on the instruction on the desk. I believe one said to use “alt 2” to get the @ sign but it is really “shift 2” and the other two I used the “ctrl alt Q” (not Alt 64)... if you have any problems just ask one of the other guests using the computers... everyone is always very accommodating.

Restaurants: the a la carte' need to be booked the day of or the day before between 10-5 p.m. Obviously the sooner you book the better your chances of getting the reservations you prefer. TIP: We found it best to book the day before and then we were pretty much guaranteed a seating at either the Italian or the Mexican at a time we preferred. NOTE: The Japanese restaurant was very popular and hard to get into (see more details below).

Mexican: open air restaurant on the point overlooking the ocean.... fabulous views of the sunset if you go for the 6:30 seating and ask for a west facing table! Great service...we had many a great evening dining here... try the Lobster and the Pumpkin Flower stuffed crepe with 1/2 mole sauce and 1/2 mango ... absolutely delicious!!!! I found the best dessert on the menu was the fruit stuffed crepes with a scoop of vanilla ice cream... I waddled out of the restaurant that night let me tell you. If you are a diehard cheese cake fan you may be disappointed albeit the Mexican restaurant did have a better version that the Buffet...overall their cheese cake is more of a gelatin like base rather than baked.

Italian... open air restaurant with a pool surrounding it ...this restaurant was also open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays for Breakfast and Lunch... nicer ambiance and nicer buffet set up than Bungavilla's (sp?) buffet AND you can get a Cappuccino there no problem (which is important to me!). Cappuccino’s are a hit and miss at the other buffet... TIP: during lunch if you take a table by the steps to the pool you will have people walking past you constantly or kids running by you as they cut across to get into the pool. Dinner is very good at this restaurant ... my personal favorite was the Tour of Italy - you get pasta, lasagna and chicken... (their lasagna is awesome) … my favorite dessert was their Tiramisu, topped off with a cappuccino, excellente!

Japanese restaurant: indoors and very popular... not a large restaurant so minimal seating. TIP: the Premium Club guests get to book their dinner times earlier than the rest of us so unless you want to eat late (8 or 9) there are usually not many spots open. We did manage to get in on our last day (out of 2 weeks) and while the food was excellent we found the the service was slow and somewhat disorganized. However, that said it seemed as though this restaurant could have used more staff and more training on what the dishes consisted of… the Japanese names do not always lend themselves easily to interpretation for the waiters. Overall however, I would give it another chance if were travel there again – it may have just been a bad day and the food definitely warranted another chance.

Buffets; the Italian one is mentioned above so I won’t repeat. The main Buffet (the one I can’t spell but sounds like Bungavilla)… has a lot to choose from but we found that at breakfast and lunch service could be sporadic in quality. Ordering regular coffee is fine, but tea can be hit or miss. TIP: There also seems to be some sort of shortage of spoons, so sneak one from another table (usually only one per table LOL) or ask right away for one when you order your coffee or you and your yogurt will be waiting a while.

SERVICE:

Transat Rep: Margarita Vega was awesome … rely on her folks as she will never steer you wrong and she has a wealth of information … she will be on your bus and is also located in the lower lobby during the day… if you go to the orientation the hotel puts on you will find out a lot of interesting things about the area that are most helpful, especially if it is your first time in Manzanillo.

Waiters: Most are good but some need special mention:
Need a drink by the pool see Daniel he is AWESOME!!! Normally he is at the upper/adult pools, but can be by the activity pool as well. He sometimes works 4 pools by himself so order two drinks if you can’t wait and hey folks tip these guys … they are working in extreme heat and get paid a lot less that you and I. Daniel soon learnt our favorite drink and would have one coming just as we finished one up! Once and a while you will get Daniel at the buffet… this guy not only had the foresight to notice we didn’t have spoons, but brought milk for our coffee/tea and would not allow me to get my own orange juice … he said that was his job… personally I would like to hire this man to work for me here in Canada! Reuben was one of a very few who was very prompt with things like tea, milk, juice, spoons etc.

Housekeeping: our housekeeper was Carmen Banda… her timing for cleaning our room while we were out was fabulous… everything was always in perfect order and towels replaced and ready for us… and we never had to wait to have access to our room. We had a screen door come off the rack and it was called in and fixed the same day.

Pools: I believe there were 7 multi-level pools, all of which are kept extremely clean and are very refreshing. Some pools you can wade in to a depth of about 4 feet… some you can jump in and are about 5’ deep. There is also an activity pool with aquacise and basketball games and a 2nd adults only pool that is like a huge Jacuzzi with jets and a sitting area… (not heated but the water is shallower in this one so it is very nice to just sit in).

Theatre: similar shows to those at the Barcelo in Huatulco, but not as “professionally” delivered. In all fairness these actors s are a fair bit younger so probably still developing in their skills … overall a good effort put out by all.

Beach: Ok for those of you who are beach people you won’t like the beach… it IS private, but it is small and rocky in some parts (the plus to rocks is that they are at the other end and are great for snorkeling so you don’t have to take the tour  . If you have kids it is nice because the water is in very calm and shallow. I am not a beach person so for me it was not a big deal. If you want to walk on the beach you can go through a gate (manned by security during daylight hours) on the east side of the hotel complex (down the walkway from the Mexican restaurant) and walk for miles …. TIP sometimes the gate is not open when you return but security usually will show up in a few minutes … if not give a holler  It is very safe to walk the beach. There are no stones in the sand but you have to cross some rocks and a small stream before landing on the beach so a water shoe or waterproof sandal is probably best.

Well I think I have said more than enough… Overall we loved the place and are going back next year!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room 5th floor or higher ... then you will be above the trees and get a better view
2 Thank Take_me_Away_2008
Winnipeg, Mb.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Room; Very spacious, very clean, and the twin sinks in the huge bathroom were a real bonus.....Our cleaning lady, Carmen B. did some great artwork with the towels, along with keeping our room spotless each day......I hope the tips we left were worthy of her efforts.....By the way, we had an ocean view suite on the 5th floor of the east wing......fabulous view of the golf course, beach, and ocean....Gorgeous sunrises and the night skyline of Manzanillo to enjoy each evening...

Pools; No problem getting the loungers of your choice by the adult only or lower level pool.....Our pool side waiter, Daniel, provided stellar service for our two week stay......his timing was impeccable, and he always seemed to know when it was time for another "ojo rojo".......muchos gracias, mi amigo..

Food; Having stayed at other Barcelos in Mexico, I would rate the food at the Karmina Palace to be as good or better than other resorts....

Restaurants; Excellent service in both the Mexican and Italian restaurants.....bring your camera to the Agave (Mexican) for those great sunsets over puerto las hadas.....Food was excellent at both restaurants...
We tried the Japanese (Kyoto) restaurant just once and that was enough...service was slow and confusion seemed to be the order of the day......

Weather; Over a two week stay, we had one day of cloudy/hazy skies, the rest of the time it was sunny and hot...as in nearly 30 Celcius each day....

Overall impressions: Clean.. lush vegetation... several pools... plenty of shade.....excellent staff....a very well run resort....

We would definitely stay at the BKP again, and hope to do so in the near future......I give it five stars....

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room on the 5th floor or higher....east wing....
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple