“Great Scuba Diving Trip”
Review of Barcelo Karmina

Barcelo Karmina
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Manzanillo
Reviewed November 26, 2011

I had a completely difference diving experience than the reviewer below. I lived in South Florida for 35 and have been a certified PADI diver for 33 years. We spent Thanksgiving at the Karmina and while there went on a two tank dive with my nephew. Even though both of us are certified divers,the Dive Master, whose name is Geronimo, wanted us to do a check out dive in the pool. He wanted to make sure both of us would follow his instructions in the water. I very interested in seeing the shape of the equipment to make sure it was good quality. The regulator, B.C., air tanks ,pressure and depth gages, masks, fins, and weights were all very good and in top working order. The Dive was Great and very safe. I would recommend the dive center to anyone interested in Scuba Diving.

Now for the Hotel. They do so many things right. Except for the check in which took us 3 hours before we got our room. We came with a group and some got a room right away and others like us had to wait. I keep getting the run around from Alexander at the front desk. He keep saying your room isn´t ready, I said I´d take any room. After 3 hours he said it would be just 30 mins more. Then a friend in our group, who had his room, said to see Rafael at another check in desk and he could help. I found Rafael and he switched a room with a late check in to us and went well. Thanks Rafael!

Room Tip: see Rafael if you have a problem
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Pilgrim45900
Citlally C, Guest Experience Manager at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2017

Firstly we would like to thank you for choosing our Barceló Karmina hotel for your holidays in Manzanillo and for the review, all of your kind words about your stay with us are great to hear

Write a ReviewReviews (3,376)

Reviewed November 20, 2011

This hotel has mostly everything a well travelled vacationer like myself enjoys, great facilities with wonderful ambiance. And unfortunately, the whole experience had to be diminished by the lack of service, professionalism and attention my family received at the hotels water sports concession.

As a diver I know the ins and outs of the sport and found the quality of the equipment subpar to anything that should be in a 5 star hotel. My son took a pool side class to go diving in the ocean the class lasted all of 20 minutes and at the end I asked for more time, as my son felt uncomfortable for the next days dive.. Well sure but it would cost me a complete class as the instructor had personal things to do.

The next day we were scheduled to leave at 9am, and told to be there at 8:30, interestingly none of the staff get there until 9am, and then due to a huge amount of disorganization we left at 9:45am and immediately out of the bay, the instructor realizes we were missing equipment.

Once at the dive site the instructor, gave a 5 minute briefing and then got my sons equipment on and simply had him sit on the edge of the boat and back roll into the water.. Mind you my son was alone with no one in the water to assist him. I spoke up and the instructor simply told me this is how its done.

By this point I was a bit upset to say the least and honestly could not enjoy any of the diving. Once back I tried to cancel my diving reservations for the coming days but had to literally threaten to sue in order for them to give me my money back.

The watersports staff had no one who spoke english except for the instructor and a bit from some guy at the desk named trinidad.

The rest of the vacation went remarkably well and save for the unfortunate and unpleasant experiance with the dive center our vacation was enjoyable.

In a nutshell I highly recommend the Barcelo Karmina Palace but question their acumen in choosing this concession to represent them... hence my rating..

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank sailoronvacation

Thank you for the time you took out of your day to share your comments regarding your stay in our Barceló Karmina hotel.

Reviewed November 16, 2011

About Manzanillo: A busy and beautiful city of 100,000. Very high employment, no pushy vendors, no arrogant Europeans. Very safe & very friendly. It is only 3 hours to Gaudalahara, a city of 8,000,000 - so this place is a popular weekend "get-away" spot for Mexicans as well. Lots to seen & do: release sea turtles at the sanctuary, visit other beaches, ocean kayaking, downtown shopping, visit a volcano, jet ski, visit ancient ruins, amazing surfing in Cayutlan, horseback riding, snorkelling, deep sea fishing, museums in Colima, etc.

About the rooms: Large, clean and comfortable. Good air conditioning, amazing ocean views & huge fluffy towels. Plenty of hot water - but it takes about 10 minutes to arrive. A bit of age showing around the faucets and the large sliding wood panels with wide slats did not offer much privacy in the bathroom. One day we had a small drip from a pipe in the ceiling and another day the maid didn't do a very good job. Notified the front desk and both times problems were attended to within 30 minutes.

About the grounds: I couldn't count the number of beautiful pools that were all surrounded by trees, gardens and flowering bushes that were all manicured to perfection and interconnected by streams and waterfalls. Some pools were reserved for adults and some for families, with a great waterslide for the kids. The beach is in a private inlet, but small and rocky. The beach right next to the hotel is also amazing, but it has HUGE waves and a dangerous undertow. I recommed the 5$ cab ride to Mirimar for a good beach.

About the food: The resort was not very busy when I was there, so the Ala Carte restaurants were often closed. The buffet was good, with about 24 hot choices. Selections such as fish, chicken breast, beef and pork loin appeared daily, but with a different sauce. If you pig out on 24 items every day, you might get a little bored by the end of the week. They also had a pasta section as well as a kids buffet with burgers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets and fries.

About the Staff: Amazing, friendly, courteous, attentive, creative, talented. I don't have enough words to describe the exceptional level of service offered by everyone. From the talented on stage performers to the Bellmen in the lobby. From the waiters to the bartenders to the gardeners and even the maids. Everyone made you feel welcome.

On a bad note: the small airport is not well equiped for large groups. Prepare for AND excpect up to 3 hours for an entire plane-load to clear customs.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
11  Thank Freightcarr

Thank you very much for leaving these wonderful comments on Tripadvisor, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay among us.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

This place was truly incredible. the attitudes of the staff at Karmina were very impressive given they had just endured a hurricane several weeks ago. The service was top notch. The food was decent and there was plenty of variety. The alacarte restaurants were superb.The rooms are huge and comfortable. Some new furnishings may be in order for the near future. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Awesome pools fun for everyone from seniors to toddlers. The beach was adequate especially since there were few occupants at the hotel this first week of the winter vacation season. We had perfect weather and enjoyed the beech and the nine pools throughout the day. My wife had a beech side massage and enjoyed every moment of the eighty minute pampering. I was hoping to golf; however there were only twelve holes available at this time as a result of Jova's pummelling of Manzanillo. We can't wait for our next trip to Karmina Palace. Hola to all the wonderful people we met in Manzanillo.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Matthew M

Reviewed November 12, 2011

We arrived with the first Canadian charter of the season and had a lovely time at the Karmina. The best things about the resort are the people (staff), location and the entire ambiance. My fiance and I are bringing 25 of our family and friends to the Karmina for our wedding in February. We know we're in for a very good time and highly recommend this resort. Also, be sure to book a massage with Lucy or Laura; especially one on the beach! And when you arrive, say "hola" to Raul and Javier, they're the best botones (bellmen) in the biz!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side have a wonderful sunrise, ocean view and are a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank lisamiga

Reviewed October 17, 2011

The Karmina is a lovely hotel with a wonderful staff. The grounds are kept impeccable by the gardening and grounds crews...whom always greet you in the morning with a Buenos días/ Good
Morning. All of the hotel inside and out is kept so clean! The floors sparkle! We always had excellent service in all of the restaurants, the buffet and all 3 a la carte's. The front desk staff, the door man are all very knowledgeable and glad to help you with any questions you may have. Some of the maids don't speak very much English, but we always were able to communicate with each other. The food @ the Karmina was very good, a different theme in the buffet every night. Always a small buffet area dedicated to the children staying @ this resort. Many favorites for them such as chicken nuggets, macaroni, hot dogs and all kinds of other things that I know my kids loved when they were little. It has a great variety for them, the food @ their buffet changes @ Breakfast, Lunch. dinner as well. In the main buffet area there is a pasta station, this station was open every night that we stayed there (2weeks) They offer 3/4 kinds of different pasta and your choice of 3/4 different sauces....this was always great! The a la cartes are all wonderful we ate @ all 3 last Feb. The website stated only 2 a la cartes per week but in Feb 2011 the hotel gave us 3 per week. We enjoyed eating at all three a la cartes, but our favorite was the Japanese. For the ladies, bring a shawl or a light sweater with you, if you decide to eat @ the Mexican restaurant (which has amazing views) then you may find you'll need a sweater If its a windy night it can get a bit chilly there on the water. (It was the only time in the 2 weeks I ever thought about putting on my sweater, it came in handy at this restaurant) I did see one of the waiters wrapped a table runner around a lady use it as a shawl for warmth! The staff is so sweet!
The Rooms- they are beautiful rooms all marble floors as is the whole resort. Big- his and her closets with a set of draws and a counter in between them and a large mirror. A Big bathroom with his and her sinks at either end of the bathroom. Marble counters with enough room to place your toiletries on. hand soap, hand lotion comb, shoeshine kit, Qtip/nail file kit, bottled water are on the vanity. The shower has a refillable bodywash, shampoo station that is refilled weekly so no need to bring your own if you don't want to! (NO CREME RINSE) just body wash and shampoo is supplied. There is a powerful hair dryer in the bath room as well. The shower is big enough for 2! There is a huge separate soaker tub in the bathroom with bath crystals supplied. and of course a toilet! LOL...There is a safe in the room, it is not electronic...it has a key that the front desk will issue to you upon arrival if you loose this key it costs $100.00 usd. to have the safe drilled open. We could fit our laptop inside of it...our laptop size is: 11.5" wide x 8.5" deep (29.5 cm x 22.0 cm) I don't think you would be able to fit a laptop any bigger in that safe.
Our room was a standard room/partial ocean-view. We had a king bed with a large T.V. then a step down into the living room area to a hide a bed, big comfy chair, coffee table, and in the corner a round glass table with 4 chairs that you could sit 4 adults around comfortably. Also in this area is a large T.V. and bar sized fridge in the wall unit that houses the T.V. The balcony that is attached is as wide as the room and I'm guessing 6/7 feet wide (183 cm to 214 cm wide) with 2 chairs and a small table on it.
The electrical plugs in the room are the same as Canada/USA...120volt. (No time change for us Manitoban's) There is a ATM machine in the downstairs lobby of the hotel....our experience was it never gave you a paper trail. There are shops in the hotel for things you have forgot, a hair salon too, gym, walmart is just down the main blvd. you can walk to it from the beach. Walmart and Sorianna's both sell liquor/Wines. Sorianna's sell's Calmato Juice!!!
Over all we loved this resort...we found the Food to be even better tasting then the 3x we stayed in Huatulco! The freshness of the food was great. The service was always Great! The nightly shows that the staff put on are the best we've ever seen! We looked forward to it nightly. The Entertainment staff are always busy with the vacationers getting them involved in activities. We can hardly wait to enjoy the hospitality of this resort again. Of course....the weather was beautiful!
We loved this resort and all the people that work here gave us superior customer service
See you in 2012!

Room Tip: lower rooms may have the ocean view block by the palms growing on the property.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
31  Thank Holamexico08

We always find it nice to read that our guests went home with great holiday memories and we are very grateful for the time and effort you spent to share your personal experience at our Barceló Karmina hotel with us and Tripadvisor readers.

Reviewed September 16, 2011

We were there for six nights. Third Barcelo we've stayed at. Recommendation to Mr Barcelo - send the staff from Karmina over to the Riviera Maya Palace to see how it should be done. Karmina is half the experience.

We arrived on a Wednesday and the place was virtually empty. We had booked an "Ocean View" room and we could see the ocean if we went out to the balcony and looked left. I don't understand why I had to beg for a better room for nights 2-6. The place was empty except for Friday/Saturday.

Because the place was empty they cut back on the dining options. Some nights there was no buffet. Other nights there would be only buffet or only Italian, or only Japanese etc. We had some excellent meals, and we had some terrible meals as well. Our 'first' Japanese meal was great. For our 'second' Japanese meal I swear they must have told the employees some bad news beforehand because they all had a bad attitude.

I guess its a culture thing but I don't understand how a collared dress shirt with dress dockers slacks and sandals is inappropriate attire yet a football jersey, gym shorts and sneakers are appropriate. And - I don't think it is appropriate to require a dress code in a hot, open-air environment.

btw - there is free internet access (unlimited devices) in the hotel lobby. We bought access from the room 3 days ($13 per). This allowed us to use the laptop in the room and the droid from the pool area.

There is virtually no beach, nor is there any real quality lunch options if you are wearing a bathing suit. A couple times we got lucky and had some pretty good lunch food at the buffet.

We are not big into mini-bars but these had 2 cans of beer, 2 cans of soda, 2 bottles of water and 2 small bags of peanuts.

The bed was great. The room was clean. The bathroom shower area needs some maintenance and the bathtub did not hold water. The bartenders were friendly. Some of the waiters were great.

Looking back we should have stayed only 3 nights, maybe Friday - Sunday.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple