WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel Vista Playa de Oro Manzanillo

Hotel Vista Playa de Oro Manzanillo
Ranked #33 of 52 Hotels in Manzanillo
Boise, ID
“Relaxing, friendly staff and great beach!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

The rooms aren't anything spectacular, but the staff was super friendly and it was low key which was perfect for us. The beach is across the street, but they always have someone there to stop traffic (literally!) so you can walk over to the beach. The beach was never busy and there is a convenient bar to order drinks. We opted not to do the all-inclusive (through RCI) but found that big cups of anything were only 35 pesos anyway - such a deal!

We also noticed this hotel is where a lot of locals vacation, so we were one of the few americans at that time, which was not a big deal - just pointing out that it's mostly locals and not many tourists. The rooms were spacious and clean, definitely setup for families.

I wouldn't recommend the all-inclusive if you have that option. We didn't and enjoyed the food elsewhere probably more than at the hotel, but the food was decent so no complaints, we just like variety.

Another great perk about this hotel and probably Manzanillo in general is that we didn't encounter the begging or people constantly bombarding us with selling items on the beach or sidewalks. Occasionally, but not overwhelming compared to other Mexican cities we've been to. We also felt COMPLETELY safe.

Restaurants I would recommend: Juanitos - great for quick but great food, Oasis - nicer dinner and food with great presentation, El Fagaro - great food. There was also a steakhouse now that I can't remember the name of that was just okay. Margaritas (the restaurant close to the hotel) is actually quite good and not very expensive. If you are staying at this hotel, you also get a discount.

Anyway, great place to spend a relaxing vacation and the weather was AMAZING!

Room Tip: The condos are great because they have small kitchens, which also include blenders :) So because we...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank dmduffy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Twin Cities Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We spent a really pleasant week at the resort. The grounds are lovely and well maintained and view spectacular. The staff provided excellent and friendly service. Limited English spoken by the staff, but someone was always available to assist so it was never an issue. The Pacific Coast is a beautiful place and the weather and water temp is great in January. Lots of day trips available if you can tear yourself away from the beach.

Room Tip: The view of the bay is terrific
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JournalMaker
Elias C, Gerente at Hotel Vista Playa de Oro Manzanillo, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
We appreciate for sharing your feedback. We are delighted that your last stay with us was positive and pleasant. Our mission is to create memorable experiences, so we will continue working and improving.

Muchas Gracias.
Prince George
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I read the revieves before we left and thought well not every one will be happy and there were some good comments. Our room was clean and quite nice and overlooked the pool. The beach across the street was the best I've been to in mexico, nice gradual slope nice big waves to play in and no undertow to speak of. The problem was with the food and I am thinking the water (ice etc) as I became very sick the first week we were there until I could be treated with an antibiotic. the then got a terrible flu and cold which I believe came from our airconditioner which i believe may have been contaminated with mold or mildew. There was a very strong smell that came from it. The people are wonderful and the grounds are very nice. Very little english spoken

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nola S
Thank you for share your comments with us; we believe that feedback from our guests is the effective way to improve our service. We are very sorry for not cover your expectations; we are taking immediate actions to verify and correct the reports on water condition and the air conditioning system.

We sincerely hope you will give us a second chance and consider us as your next vacation destination. Here is my email ecastellanos@playadeoro.com.mx

Thank you once again.
Cordially,
Elias Castellanos.

Travelers are raving about these Manzanillo hotels

North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

If you are going to Mexico you dont want to be in a hurry to go anywhere or do anything. Slow down and take your time, but be sure to take your family with you. Funny those words coming from someone who likes to travel on her own. It came to me on my most recent trip to Manzanillo of which I am still on as I am writing this review.

It has been a couple of years since I have had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Vista Playa de Oro Manzanillo, although Jorge Ramos and I have stayed in touched over the years in between my visits. In the two years that I haven't been here I have visited Mexico. I did a review in 2011 about the Royal Solaris, Los cabos, not a positive one in fact. Too much commercialism, too much of the pushy salesman trying to sell you a time share, and an actual segregation of the all inclusive and the time share owners in an all inclusive resort, dinners with signs saying "Members Only"

That's not Mexico!

If you wanna go to Mexico, if you want to eat what the Mexicans eat, hear their language, experience the real Mexico in a safe environment? Then take your family, children of any age to Hotel Vista Playa de Oro Manzanillo. If you are looking for a great Chinese restaurant you go to one that has the most Chinese eating in it, cause they know good Chinese food, well the same stands for Mexico, go to where the Mexicans go.

You are not going to find eggs Benny at this resort, you are not going to find alot of English speaking Mexicans, they try hard but most just don't speak our language. But then you are in Mexico, and they are however fluent in their language. I have been vacationing in Mexico for more than 20 years and have no problem communicating with the people of this country and I dont know any Spanish. I dont pretend to know anything either, I say hello, good morning and it kind of lets everyone know that I am an English speaking person. I ask them if they speak any English and they normally say no, and they usually try to find out if I know any Spanish, of which I say no, nothing... then the communication begins, in the end we both get what we need, it may take a little more time then if you were to know the language. That is why it is so important to not be in a hurry when you go to Mexico, and so important to take your children to a resort like this to truly experience real Mexico. When they are making announcements, or at night during the entertainment they speak in Spanish, many resort will also say the same thing translated in English, they dont do that here, if you really want to know every word they are saying then learn the language, or do what I do, go by body language, I laugh and smile when I see people happy and laughing and if you really pay attention you can figure out the gist of what is going on. Jorge Ramos and many of the upper management of the Resort are fluent in Spanish and English so there so there is no need to worry that you will not get your needs met and if there is anything that they can do to make your stay better they will move heaven and earth to do it for you no matter if you are a English speaking guest or a Spanish speaking guest.

After 20 years of coming to Mexico it may be time for me to learn a phrase or two of Spanish, but I am definitely not in a hurry to learn anything right now, because my breakfast is done and I am heading to the beach! Have a great day, stayed tuned, more reviews to come..

Room Tip: All rooms are great, if you have any problems they will do everything ot make it better!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank AdviceWriter2010
Elias C, Gerente at Hotel Vista Playa de Oro Manzanillo, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us, we really enjoyed reading your review which in our opinion describes the essence of relaxation and peace that we looking for on vacation.
For us it is an honor to welcome tourists from all around the world, we like to make them feel at home and live all positive that Mexico has to offer. In our Hotel our coworkers are part of that mission, especially Jorge Ramos.
We look forward to see you return soon, we will be waiting.
Saludos Cordiales!!!!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

We have stayed here 4 times with our family and friends. It has been a few years since we have been able to return there, but reading the reviews helps me stay connected to my Manzanillo family. Everything and everyone is the best. Go with family, friends or even by yourself - you won't be disappointed. I love it that management is responding to reviews - keep up the good work!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Traci L
Puyallup, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

We enjoyed staying at this hotel as it wasn't an Americanized version of Mexico and we had fun picking up some Spanish as most of the other guests and staff speak very little English. It was never a problem if we needed something as they would always find someone to talk to us if needed. My 8yr old daughter made friends and they were able to play and communicate just fine even with the language barrier. The hotel is older and yes the beds are hard but it needs to be looked at as an adventure. My 8yr old daughter did the low zipline and my older daughter and Niece did the high zipline. My husband is a firefighter and was satisfied with the safety checks and precautions they took. If you want a washcloth make sure and bring your own as I didn't get them in my room but my Mom did so I would have to steal one of hers every day. We did not purchase the all inclusive as we like to eat in the city but did have breakfast a few times and it was very good.

I also want to commend the hotel and city on their honesty. We left our $800 camera in a taxi cab and managed to track down the diver, who got the camera back to the hotel and Jorge (manager) shipped back to us with a fair amount of hassle to himself personally. We really thought we would never see the camera, and our thousand pics again.

Good to have is the travel guide to Manzanillo by Susan Dearing- we did a snorkel tour through her and booked our group of 9 on our own tour which was great. We also did a couple of arranged tours through Jorge which we enjoyed. He is able to set up individualized tours for your group which is nice. We did a Colonial City tour and went to the ruins near Colima ( 9 of us) and also did a tour to the waterfalls with a group of 7. All the guides spoke excellant English and knew the area well.

All is all it was a fun trip and we would do it again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank bestetravel
, Manager at Hotel Vista Playa de Oro Manzanillo, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
We are really pleased that your experience with us was a good one. Manzanillo is still one of those Mexican towns where you can still experience the friendly atmosphere and laid back attitude. We are also very proud to say that Manzanillo is one of the safest cities in Mexico. Now we can add honesty!!

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and give us suggestions about our services. We look forward to see you return to Vista Playa de Oro (or our Crown Paradise Resorts in Cancun and Puerto Vallarta) on your next visit. Hasta pronto!
Spokane, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

Jorge is great - any problem or question direct to him. It is a good place for children-very safe. The beds are very hard - you are basically sleeping on a cement slab with a pad on it. Jorge was able to put 2 of the mattresses on our bed in order for me to sleep without so much pain. It is quaint - on a hill which does mean lots of up and down if you are at the top which we were. They do offer a shuttle to go up and down and the taxi's will drop you off near your room. We had 2 - 2 bedroom and 1 - 3 bedroom condos and they were all different as to layout and furnishings. They are in need of upgrading but again that was not consistent with the units. Our curtain in the living room was actually tearing along the edge and the stove seemed somewhat unsafe. Our 2 bedroom actually had 2 baths and of all of the 3 units was the only one that had good hot water in quantity. It was cleaned every day and everyone was very friendly and helpful and although some did not speak English they always tried. This place caters more to the Mexican population but we were made to feel very welcome. The food was good but we only ate breakfast there. The bus is right across the street (beach side) and it was fun taking it to various locations and trying out the local places. If staying in the condos, there is basically only water furnished every day so if you are planning on cooking, think about taking some small quantities of spices as well as salt and pepper. Stick to the larger stores there for fresh fruit and meat. Since we were at the top of the hill, the view was beautiful from our unit. The beach was very clean and it was fun to walk it. There is another area that we reached by bus that had a nice cove and was great for the kids to snorkle as well as swim. We took in a couple of excursions - some arranged by Jorge and we did enjoy those. If we were younger with children, we would go back.

Room Tip: The view is nicer at the top but it is a steep climb.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GMASpokane_WA
, Gerente at Hotel Vista Playa de Oro Manzanillo, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review, and we sincerely apologize for all the maintenance aspects that you report. They all have been taken care of.

Thank you also for commending on the various aspects of your visits to town. The people of Manzanillo take pride in saying that this is one of the safest cities in Mexico.

We would like to note that there are three major supermarket stores in the city (one, in fact, is Wal-Mart) so shopping and finding the right items and spices is not a problem at all. Near the hotel, we have the Santiago vendor market, where people can find fresh fruit right from the farmer´s fields. Also, we would like to suggest to other travellers to take the bus (or car) in direction to El Naranjo (on the way to the airport). There, you will find roadside vendors with fresh fruits, tomatoes, papaya, avocados, plantains, bananas, home made sweets and all kinds of fresh produce.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you return to Manzanillo and Vista Playa de Oro. Or maybe to one of our Crown Paradise Resorts in Cancun and Puerto Vallarta. Hasta la vista!