“Amazing architecture, wonderful beach, great stay!”
Review of Tesoro Manzanillo

Tesoro Manzanillo
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
Nanaimo, Canada
“Amazing architecture, wonderful beach, great stay!”
Reviewed February 26, 2011

This has been the second time I've been in Mexico and I have to say it's been very enjoyable so far. I know there is constant danger with all the gang wars etc but Manzanillo was very nice.

Got off the plane and was pleasantly surprise by the mini tour/ride to the hotel. We had a guy give a mini spiel about Manzanillo and the upsides of the place. It was rather funny that almost all the people who went to Manzanillo was either Mexican or Canadians. Americans were like 1 in 20 or something like that.

The hotel was snugged right into a small cove and was huge upon first impressions. The architecture was fairly old but was fabulous to look at. I"m a big fan of old stuff so that was a plus on my behalf.

Inside the area was again wonderful. Old Spanish architecture in my eyes and I thought it was rather neat. A few things that stuck out that were very out dated. The lights, light switches (they are the little flip switches which are sideways. Rather weird), the shower heads and elevators are pretty worn down. But to me it was just part of the rustic charm.

Room:

When we booked through Itravel we upgraded to a master suite and in my opinion it was worth the extra 50 bucks or so. Huge living area with a small fridge which was restocked with water every day. A small sink with a full dining set of plates, silverware, etc. You got a semi free room service one per day for a meal. More on room service later. There was a TV in the living room along with a ET center which doubled as a dresser. The mini fridge was in there as well. Old style tvs no flat screens. The bedroom was enormous with a king size bed and another ET/dresser with another tv as well. Very sparse. The bathroom was huge! Two sinks, a huge mirror, a small alcove that had the toilet, a tub/shower and a huge walk in shower which you could park a scooter in. There was no fan so if you took a hot shower (god why?!?!) it would steam the entire mirror up but it'd go away. Both bedroom and living room had air conditioning by the way which kept the entire place super cool if you needed it. All the floors were marble save for the bedroom which was carpet. We had an amazing balcony that spanned from the living room all the way to the bedroom. Three sliding glass doors.. it was great for opening all of them and letting the air flow through. All in and all I thought the suite was acceptable and had no problems with it. It was rustic sure but in my eyes it did more then what we had asked for. Leave 20 pesos or so every other day and you'll come back to a room well cleaned and re supplied. Just make sure to hide any extra things like extra sheets or pillows. My g/f hid the extra sheet and had to get a fresh sheet from them cause they got rid of it once. The room service came around in our area (floor 4) aprox at 11am-2pm. We were mostly out of the room by 11.

Food:

I'm going to start with the room service since the suite is right above. Try it. Make use of the one time per day deal because their room service is a notch above the regular buffet food. They ask that you pay 20 pesos per person who orders but they give you huge servings so in my eyes it was worth it. We never got a chance to order for dinner or lunch through room service but why would you? Try it and see. I"m sure it'll be just as nice as breakfast. The buffet food was... traditional Mexican tourist food I believe. Since they served largely to a Mexican/Canadian clientele it was largely the same pretty much all day save for breakfast. Breakfast was somewhat different from lunch and dinner with the eggs, sausages (mini weird hotdogs), yogurt, fruit, and granola. Lunch and Dinner pretty much always had fish of some sort, rice, meat, fresh veggies (loved that), pasta and a very small salad bar. Small meaning like... small. Three/four salads pretty much. There was always home made salsa, and hot sauce. There was also just about every other name brand hot sauce by the pillar in the middle. Desert consisted of a ton of pastries. There was always fresh fruit of cantaloupe, water melon, pineapple and mango. Two of their prime export is watermelon and cantaloupe so they were always great. The mango was rather funky tasting but was decent as well but it was shipped to Manzanillo from another town because it wasn't the season for mango there. I stuck to mostly fruit for the trip as I'm a fruit eater. G/f had to try all the pastries out so I helped her with that. Some of them are hard and crusty, while others are sweet and pleasant. They had two types of juice, a rice water with cinnamon (loved it!), and a red water with.. something else in it. I forget what. They had milk and chocolate milk as well which everyone could get. You could order beers both light (probably Corona) or dark. Don't get the dark. I had a few thinking they were decent then got a smell from it that smelled like bathroom water. Totally put me off from dark. They have decent white wine in my opinion and lousy red wine. You can also order any types of drink if you know what you want and they know what it is. They don't have any menu at the buffet nor did they seem very well versed in drinks. One last thing in the buffet area. There is a small island off to the far right side which cooks specialty food. Every meal they usually have someone making something special there. Omelets in the morning, fresh fish marinade, teryiaki stir-fry, fresh tortillas with pork, chicken or beef that I saw. It varied every day. Only one cook was there usually and the line would get backed up really quickly and other times it would be empty. I tried a few things from the line and it was a notch above the buffet food. But it's cooked fresh so what do you expect. Over all the buffet was more then enough food for anyone. It wasn't flashy or elaborate but it was more then enough. If you wanted fancy food or expecting five star quality you will be disappointed. The servers were good at cleaning up the plates quickly and I rarely had to go back for seconds. Tipping didn't really make the service any different but we rarely sat in the same area and the servers were always different. The buffet opened from 7am to 11am for breakfast, 1-4pm for lunch and 7-11pm for dinnertime. So it can be a hassle if you are one of those party hardy people who sleep in late. But of course there is always the room service option.

There is a snack shack that opens around 4 for the grease mongeres who want burgers, fries, nachos etc. We didn't go there once. There is also A la catrte restaurant on the sixth floor but it fills really quickly. We never checked it out but you need to reserve at 9am sharp or else you probably won't get in. They said you can go up and see if it's fully and if not see if you can bribe your way in with a few pesos but when we went it up it was full.

There is a bar upstairs that opens around 8 or 9 but again.. tell them what you want. Don't expect them to make suggestions. I loved Mojitos but theirs was just a mix which I did not like. I love fresh mix. We ended up drinking Miami Vices and Pina Colodas. There is a swim up bar as well that pretty much serves the entire beach side and poolside. There would always have waitresses wandering the beach side checking up on people. There was one exceptional waitress named Gaby which was a sweet little thing who was always there to pick up your empties and seemed to arrive right when you were done your drink. Their service for drinks was expectational I found for keeping you topped up.

Over all the food and drink service was fine for me. I didn't have a problem with anything save for the dark beer which stank like sewage water. Would so not recommend that. Could've been a bad glass or bottom of a keg. I don't know.

Entertainment:

There was a fair bit of things to do from boat trips, zip-lines, snorkeling trips, etc. We didn't go on any of them so I can't recommend or not recommend anything. I pretty much swam in the ocean for the entire stay save for one day where we went to the market which was on every Saturday. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who stays there. It's a huge open fair like market and it was fun to barter with the locals. I never swam in the pool there but it was always full. The staff always had activities going ranging from water exercises (was funny to watch but they looked like they were having fun), beach volley ball, sand hockey (for the canadians), water volley ball, and dancing lessons that I saw. There was others but they never did them. Seemed to be only for off season? I"m not sure. There was shows at night which were decent but mostly just like the rest of the shows that they have down there. They had a huge entertainment room up on floor six for the shows, however, they were renovating it so the staff had to use the conference rooms down on floor 5 (aka the L) or outside by the pools. They had two amusing shows which were the pool show which started out slow but turned out to be a mini cirque du soleil and the second was a Pirate Night which got the entire audience active. I won't say anything minus to say that running around a beer glass with one hand on it's bottom 10 times and then running backwards is verrrrrrry disorienting! there was free kayaks to use as well but we never used them. Over all I can't give a good review on the entertainment because I only attended two shows and pretty much swam in the ocean.

Ocean/beach

The ocean was fabulous there. The beach was always busy and there were always tourist boats out in the water but it was never over crowded. There was a couple tourist boats which liked to blare Black Eye Peas music which I was ready to shoot but for the most part it was very enjoyable. I pretty much was swimming every day down there. There are quite a few jellyfish in the water when the tide comes in (around 1-2pm and then on) in but they were mostly harmless. I DID get stung quite a few times by something (I"m thinking mini jellyfish or tendrils from dieing jellyfish when the tide comes in.). The only time I got stun by a visible jellyfish was one live one with a blue ring around it. It did nothing to me save for a small zap like electricity like the rest of the times I got stung. The locals were chucking them around at their family members. Other then that it was fabulous water to swim in if you can get past the jellyfish and the stings. I and snorkeled a bit around the cove and saw a few fish and two sting rays. It was fairly murky straight on but if you go to the left or right side of the cove you can swim along the edges (mind the current.. it pushes you into the rocks) and there's a variety of fish and if your are lucky you'll see a few sting rays. I free dived down (as the water goes cloudy about 5 to 8 feet or so) to about 20 feet or so and there's quite a bit down there. There used to be coral but it looks like it all died off. There are a few small nubs here or there of fresh coral but not much. Please be very careful if you see any. They take years to grow. Lots of sea urchins as well. Beware of them as they can be found in crevices quite close to the edge of the rocks. There is free kayaks to use to paddle around the cove and jet skis for a price. There's also a banana boat to ride for a price as are the big tourist boats which can take you on a booze cruise or a snorkel cruise. We didn't go on any of those. Oh! Watch out for there sand mid afternoon. You'll get burns if you're not careful. Over all the ocean side was awesome. It's what I came for that's where I stayed pretty much. It was my highlight of the place and I enjoyed every minute of it. You have to be careful of the current and don't leave your children alone unless you know they understand waves, currents and are strong swimmers. That goes double for the Mirimar beach. I"ll get to that later though.

Buskers:

They were really polite. Apparently it's against the law to harass you in Manzanillo so if you tell them no once they'll go away for two, three hours then come back and ask again then go away again. Or if you make a firm no they'll leave you alone for the entire day. They are very polite and you won't find anyone trying to shove time shares in your face. It's mostly small gifts, buns, lobsters, trips, etc. They people at the hotel say take the trips/adventures from them but I heard from other people who stayed there that they locals can rip you off if you pay up front. Don't. Comon sense. I didn't see any bad experience. Oh! The Thong Guy was indeed there but someone made him put some shorts on. He's got some faded orange shorts and he sells trips which I would recommend doing. His name is Ernie or something like that and is very friendly. He helped out a couple folks set up their umbrellas as they were massive to stand up in the sand. Great guy.

Town:

We only went out twice via bus. It's cheaper to take a cab if you have more then six people but by bus worked fine by us. It's about 15-45 mins to get to anywhere you want to go depending on where you want to go and how fast you move. I won't go into it to much because it can get confusing. Bus fare is six pesos and cab fares range depending on where you are going. There is a board with the fares on it at the entrance to the right on a pillar. Semi hidden so check it out before you take a cab. They should always be in that range and if they charge higher you can barter them down or just get them to what price you want. Most of the town is under construction from what I saw. We only went to the market fair on Saturday and Walmart. Walmart has everything you want. 10.00 booze.. you got it. 5 dollar hat... it's yours. They have very very very cheap alcohol so if you like to booze go there to get it. Most of the town is under construction but it's fairly easy to get to where you want to go. Lots of buses but it's very hot. They are very cleans compared tom some places that I've seen. Lots of construction but that's about it.

Over all it was a great time. There was a bit of noise from some construction workers off to the left side of the hotel as they were building a huge apartment building but I did not find it to be very noticeable. It's a three star and a half star hotel and it does it justice. Their food was eatable (not picky to a point), they had decent entertainment (that I saw), and it was clean and tidy. The staff didn't go out of their way to make you happy but they did do a good efficient job. If you want to go someplace to relax and enjoy the ocean and tan this is the place for you. Temperature was 28-35+ for the most part.

That about covers it up. Any questions feel free to give me a shout.

6 Thank jhunter309

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Ontario
Reviewed February 25, 2011

All i can say is the reviews that are bad about this resort are not true. We read all the reviews before we left and they were mixied more towards the negative side but once we were there we knew they were not true. The resort is clean..the food was good(breakfasts a bit of the same everyday, but there is alway food you can find to eat)Iam a cereal and french toast person myself but if you like mexician food in the morning there is plenty there.The A la cartes were very good..the service was excellent with us..the bartenders and the waitresses around the pool were fantastic..everything was clean(bathrooms by the pool were cleaned every 40 minutes they have to sign chart of who cleaned and the time) Rest. down the street called La Katrina's very good canadian food(wings,fries, etc. etc.. We walked alot so if 40 minutes or so is to long of a walk to market and wal-mart and other beach(2hrs there and back) then take a cab only 4 dollars a ride. The beach is not big but it is nice and a bit more quiter then by the pool.Someone asked me what we didn't like about the resort and we had to think about that one and the only thing we would say is on weekends the locals come for R&R and it gets pretty loud, just head to the beach until Monday L0L..Friends joined us on our 2nd week and the men went out deep sea fishing and my husband caught a 1401b Marlin..2 other guys caught 901lb sword fish and 2 bonitoes?(not sure of that spelling)..So all in all we had a fantastic 2 weeks at the Tesoro.The price was right as well for 2 weeks as well as 1 week.Beats the snow!!..
Thumbs up to the Tesoro ,we had a great time..

2 Thank offwegoOntario
Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Frist off when you travel.you get what you pay for so allways keep that in perspective. WE got the Tesoro for a great so I not going to expect 5 star.
Tesoro is in a very pretty location, on a small secluded bay. Ocean was safe for swmming, waves not too big, maybe not safe for real small children on their own, but our 13 year old was in their all the time on her own. Sand is very hot, bring water shoes.
Great snorkeling, go early for water clarity.
Towel games starts early, if you want any seats on the beach with shade, don't expect to find any later in the morning. I think Tesoro could use more umbrellas on the beach. Around the pool is crowded, hard to say if lack of seating is the fault of the hotel or the selfishness of people holding 2 sets of chairs at beach and poolside. ( yes we saw this)
Pool is small for the size of hotel. Can be noisy around pool but beach not so bad except for the construction beside hotel which at tome is quite noisy
the rooms were ok. beds were new, and room recently painted, but fixtures were old and corroded, not a big deal to us, but its just a 3 star. Lots of hot water,Kept clean enough, hit and miss on the housekeeping, sometimes no towels, sometimes mini bar not restocked. WE asked to be moved because there was a screaming baby beside us that cried all night, they said they were checking out that day, which was a bold faced lie, and they checked out 5 days later( thumbs down to the front desk for that)
food for us was a disappointment, we found the buffet not great, OK you wont starve, they also had a snack bar open at lunch with burgers and hot dogs, but they looked not great to me. Only saw guacamole 2 or 3 times. WE did eat at the alacarte(s) now there are suppossed to be 2, but in reality it is just the one open( Adobe) and they change menus every other night. ie. one night Mexican, the next night Italian. Now the used to have the Italian down on the beach in the Palapa, but they are no longer doing that, don't know why, and its a shame because that truly is a gem if the resort. Foddwas very good in the alacarte. YOu have to line up early and long to get a seating they dont have very many so that was a thumbs down for that.
OUr touring around. we took a Turtle tour with Tluloc tours, now they are in bed with Air Transat and the only tour company in the lobby, so you feel you have no choice but to use them...hmm don't llike that I like to have choices but oh well we did the turtle tour. wa told it was $50 US but they will take pesos or Canadian, but NO, they will not take Canadian at par with US, wanted $54 Canadian, even when all the banks on Manzanillo, are showing the exchange rate for Canadian higher than US, so what??
Turtle was in my opinion, not great, overpriced,( we know other people who have taken this tour cheaper) bus we took was not airconditioned, no water,so we didn;t like.
Now if you want a GREAT snorkeling tour, skip Tluloc, go down to the beach, and book with Pacifico.WE had a FANTASTIC tour for $30 pp( Tluloc wanted $41) with just 7 of us. and great guide "Vaquero" hats off to him! we had water AND beer!
We took a cab to La Boquita,( $9) the most beautiful beach , ate at the ramada, Corona was about $1.50 wonderful food, great snorkeing their, loved this area!! go there!
we walked south to Miramar, rented a boogie board( $3,hour) had a beer. The umbrellas to use are abotu $10 /day but if you are eating or drinking they will wave that fee.( at least that was what I was told)
On Saturday we walked to the huge tiangus( market) cabbed back $4.50,
WE took busses everywhere, 60 cents to take a bus.
WE loved Manzanillo, VERY safe clean, beautiful and easy to get around. Beautiful beaches and great snorkeling, and PERFECT weather. 2 thumbs up to Manzanillo
Tesoro is OK if you want a very reasonable place to stay, and are not fussed about great food, you'll do OK.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Lor
alberta

We stayed at the Tesoro from Feb 8 to the 24th this year;

Check-in, quick and staff were very polite
Room, 863, was not the room we were promised, no view, super big balcony though, Martha, at the front desk got us changed to 1026 for the 3rd day and WOW what a room, 3 balconies LR, DR, KIT, big BDRM and a great bathroom. A 1 bedroom master suite, well worth the extra $200. or so.
Food, for some the buffet may get repetitive but hey it's not possible to cook special meals for all 700 guests daily. The buffet was great, fish, pork, beef, all kinds of chicken, rice, veggies, fruit, potatoes, delicious deserts, and SUPER waiters.
Tours, we didn't use this as we enjoy getting around on our own, used the local bus alot and at 6 pesos it is a steal, cabs are cheap too but get the price before you get in. We visited a great little town about 45-50 min. by bus called Barra de Navidad, wow what a place, visited for a day and then booked a motel room (350 pesos) and stayed a night.

The beach is a bit small and unfortunately every 3-4 days there seemed to be an infestation of jelly fish which some of the local kids enjoyed throwing at each other.

Entertainment, well lets just say they try REALLY REALLY hard, as we enjoy a few hours of dancing we were looking forward to the disco BUT it is only open from 11 to 1 a.m. and the staff seem to run either best leg contests or drinking contests for 30 to 45 minutes, this was disappointing.

Location, well if you are not a walker this is a tough location, a lot of fairly steep hills to deal with between the resort and the main road into Manzanillo.

Elevators, yes they are abit slow but hey there are a lot of guests use them through out the day, and remember the resort IS 19 floors!!

1 Thank robertoAlberta
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Arrived in Manzanillo on the 15th of February. The Tesoro hotel looks just the pictures. I had no expectations going in...but was very happy we chose to stay here. The rooms were clean, and the view breathtaking (on the 12th floor) room 1254. The hotel staff were AMAZING....very friendly and always smiling. The hotel is older but to me this added to the charm. The only thing I would have changed was the bathtubs were a little run down. The AC works - so pack flannel pjs. I was cold every night ;) The hotel is located right on Audencia beach. We had a great time both in the pool and on the beach.

Air Transat provides GREAT people on location to assist and they were always willing to help us. (I miss them already). All the tours we booked more than surpassed my expectations. The zip lining was great, and the home cooked pizza after was quite the treat. The sea turtle tour was great (a little disappointed that we didn't get to release sea turtles though) but that is chance you take. The rest of the tour was breathtaking! The deep sea fishing was the highlight! We caught a TUNA and the chef at the hotel cooked it up for us. BEST dinner ever! 5 hours out on the ocean, dolphins, turtles etc was completely worth the $60USD/person to go!

The buffet was average. I was hoping for more local food though.. The omelet station in the morning was great and always had lines. The highlight - the a la cart restaurants! Who ever would have thought that a trip to Mexico would yield the best Cannelloni EVER! The service was impeccable and I was in line everyday to get the reservations for dinner. Highly recommend one LATE night dinner at 9pm and then order the Spanish coffee with your desert. AWESOME.

The resort has a gym....but it needed improvement. Treadmill was barely working and there was only one. Over all a workout could be completed though.

The shows were good - the Pirate show was my favorite! Super funny. Never did find the disco....but i was so exhausted that it didn't matter. Super trip and an amazing city! Loved Manzanillo!

Overall I would go back in heartbeat!

1 Thank kymmy3
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2011

We just returned from a 1 week all inclusive at the Tesoro in Manzanillo. What a wonderful vacation!!! The staff were amazing, the hotel was beautiful and charming and I couldn't have asked for a better vacation. The rooms were simple, but clean with a wonderful view. The buffet and snack shack were great and they always try and have something everyone will like. There are 2 a la carte restaurants, Mexican and Italian, which were simply amazing.

Other than the sand being very hot the beach was beautiful if you didn't want to stay around the pool. Of course the pool and swim up bar were a hit as well. It was also worth the $8 cab ride to spend the afternoon at Mirimar Beach.

We did 3 tours through the hotel which were decently priced. The guides were always on time, helpful and we always felt safe. We even spent time off the resort on our own learning about Manzanillo and visiting markets in Santiago.

All the staff from front desk, tours to housekeeping were always friendly and wanting to help. I would recommend this vacation spot to anyone!!

2 Thank Kellea75
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Well I have travelled to alot of places and I can honestly say that this is one of the best. We took our trip through Air Transat from Calgary. I highly recommend Air Transat!!! The deal we got was amazing, not just good but a complete steal. We were a bit worried about it being a dump because how cheap it was but it was fantastic. Sure the hotel is not new by any stretch of the imagination but the grounds are impecable, everything as clean as can be with fresh paint and someone sweeping up all the time. The staff work extremely hard.They are extra polite and kind and truly want your stay to be awesome. The weather while we were there was perfect to a "T". 28 degrees celsius everyday.

The food was very good with lots of variety. The al a carte resturants were also very good with plenty of selection. Remember it is a buffet and they are feeding 500 or so people a day so there are sometimes line ups but they are minimal. The Palapa has great snacks as well.

The entertainment staff work super hard to keep everyone involved and entertained. Some of the shows we quite poor simply because they are not super talented actors or singers but they tried really hard. There are some onsite vendors which are good and some more on the beach and none were pressuring you to buy.

It is not a five star hotel and doesn't try to be. If a couple of cracked tiles turns you off or you can't live with a water stained toilet in your room then don't book here but if you want a really fabulous 3.5 star hotel with great architecture and charm, clean and freindly then this is the right place.

The tour company (Tlaloc Tours) that schedules all the excursions is excellent as well. The excursions are very affordable and I would highly recommend the deep sea fishing, snorkeling and zip line trips.

Also the spa is excellent. I had two sport massages while I was there and was very satisfied.

You really can't miss with the Tesoro Manzanillo. I could ramble on for ever and rave about everything but I think you get the picture. Also I would like to note that the city of Manzanillo was very friendly and quite easy to get around. Taxis are plentiful and cheap. Make sure to poke around and go to the Miramar flea market anyday and the Santiago flea market on Saturdays.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family