“Fabulous Vacation”

Tesoro Manzanillo
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Manzanillo
Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed March 19, 2006

My family just got back from a wonderful relaxing stay in Manzanillo. I was worried after reading all the negative reviews on this site, but I really enjoyed my stay at the hotel! The people are friendly, the pool is awesome, the swim-up bar is great, there's a variety of foods and restaurants to choose from, the weather is terrific, and the bay is secluded and absolutely gorgeous. The nightly shows are great and appropriate for most ages (not dumb cruise-ship type "entertainment" but actually fun). We thought we weren't the entertainment type but we're glad we went to the shows. Every meal is a theme (my favourite was International, then Oriental). Don't forget to help yourself to the in-room bar fridge, and get snacks from the buffets all day.

The hotel has internet that's semi-fast and costs $1/ten minutes. There's also a spa with good massages and a jacuzzi. The gift shop has nice t-shirts and postcards and the beach vendors' (don't worry, they aren't pushy and they're completely avoidable if you want) stuff is pretty and inexpensive.

There was loud music at night from the disco though, which made it a bit difficult to sleep. But that depends on where your room is.

The pool wasn't very noisy. Not too many loud children. I wouldn't worry about that if I were you.

Oh, but don't expect to receive a lot of information. When we got there we were a bit bewildered since there was no map or information about the hotel or anything. But we quickly learned from experience. I think the lack of info was due to the fact that the hotel was in the process of switching management.

Another thing: the first day (especially after maybe having read negative reviews beforehand) you might be worried the trip isn't going to be so good after all, but once you get the hang of it, you feel right at home and everything is dandy. We had a lot of fun and by the end of the week we were really sad to go.

I can't wait to go back to Mexico, but just for variety I think I might try a different city next time (one that's a bit bigger and more touristy) but to each his own.

I hope you have a great vacation like we did!

P.S. I would recommend bringing lots of american $1 bills for tipping, and mostly american money. You don't really need pesos (everyone here happily takes american). I think they charge you 6% for using credit cards.

P.P.S. You might want to get up early (7am) to save deck chairs, because though there are lots, they get taken up quickly.

• Stayed: March 2006
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

RED DEER ALBERTA CANADA
Reviewed March 17, 2006

we have just returned from our stay at Tesoro manzanillo,,formerly THE Gran Costa Real Resort.. and have to say how much we enjoyed our selves, with the friendly ,fun staff,the clean surroundings,the beautiful sights and sounds around this,beautiful resort..we stayed all inclusive, and recommend it to anyone...the food was fresh,clean very tasty and closely monitored for quality control,,ie..thermometers being used on the salads and such...i say this ,because i witnessed it every day....we ate and, we drank everything and, anything we wanted to try without regrets..the staff from the front desk, to the maintainance staff are very friendly,and will makevery effort to help you no matter what time,or problem it may be...just be patient and friendly,not rude and obnoxious ,like some of the people {everybody} had to deal with....we can not say enough good things about our stay... bang for your buck? here it is...Manzanillo is a beautiful ,small,friendly place to be,the weather was awesome,the water warm & clear...beautiful for snorkling or scuba...if you go to either side of the bay along the rocks you will find lots of fish of all sorts,rays,eels,a turtle now and then..we also had the priveledge of watching a whale and her calf, breeching and tail slapping in the bay from our balcony,in the morning a couple of times before we made our way down to the pool to save our chairs, or cabanas,before breakfast...we would like to send our love and extreme gratitude to the staff and guests of the Tesoro Manzanillo ....thankyou for making our stay a very fun,very tasty,relaxing,exciting,memorable stay the weeks of Feb 25 2006 to March 11 2006.....we will be back.....Tom & Carol Red Deer alberta Canada.... p.s. {if you dont like it leave...} ..... do us all the favor.....!!!!!!

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Niagara Falls, ON, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2006

We are a group of four that stayed at Tesoro from February 3rd to 10th. The staff & Service: Excellent - Even though English was limited if you made an effort there were no problems. Cleanliness: A definite 5 star - Even though the hotel is older it is well kept and cared for - Rooms kept clean - Elevators and public washrooms very clean - Always staff around cleaning - Food: Good variety and always available . Entertainment: Excellent not tacky! Professionally choreographed shows! Any problems: Our bathroom sink leaking - fixed asap. Tour Rep from Air Transit: Most informative we ever had. Weather: 92 - 98 every day - we are sun lovers and found it hot! Hot ! No rain!!! Mostly Canadians and Mexicans tourists. Activities and tours: Excellent cheaper then most places! Did more on this vacation then any other. Security: Never felt safer and more comfortable on a vacation, i.e Sunglasses and T-shirt left at ping pong table at 6:00pm one day - still there at 3:00pm next day! Lots of activities for families: tennis, ping pong, snakes & ladders, shuffle board, activities room with pool tables & arcade games, etc. No time frame on boogie boards, snorkelling equipment, kayaks, etc. Good shopping mall close by - one store like a big Walmart! Would definitely go back!

Kim, Mike, Denise, Don from Niagara Falls, ON

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bloomington, MN
Reviewed March 13, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Tesoro February 25 to March 4 and had a FABULOUS time. We read the reviews about the hotel before we left and set ourselves up for no expectations except for fun, sun and the fact that we would be out of Minnesota for a week.
We booked our trip through MLT Vacations (Hectours affiliate in Manzanillo) and they were more than accomodating... transfer to and from the hotel on an air conditioned bus and a representative that narrated information about what Manzanillo has to offer. I was impressed by the outstanding English, it is Mexico afterall so I didn't expect the guides to be fluent.
When we arrived at the Tesoro, we were greeted by the entertainment staff and a Rum Punch beverage while we checked in. A great beginning to our vacation.
The Hotel Staff was cordial and checked us in quickly and a bellman was ready and waiting to take our luggage up to our room on the 10th floor.
We received the room that we booked, I know that previous reviews have complained that they did not. First off, the room was HUGE. We had a king bed (its a hotel bed, people have said sleeping on the floor would have been more comfortable, get real people!), huge balcony with a partial ocean view. Ideally we would have liked an ocean view, but we didnt intend on spending our whole vacation in the room, so not that big of an issue. We spent many nights sleeping with the balcony door open. The bathroom was huge and we had no problems with the plumbing or air conditioning in the room. We did not have a refridgerator in the room, but beverages were left daily: bottles of water (sometimes up to 4 bottles a day), 2 beers, 2 cans of coke, 1 sprite and 1 fanta. It was so nice to have the bottles of water on hand.
The maid refreshed our towels daily and we tipped her daily. About $1 a day.
Note about tipping: we found that tipping was very appreciated, even if it's less than a dollar, and it makes a big difference... not so that YOU can have a better trip by getting more towels or more beverages, but we were informed on some of our tours that hotel staff typically make $5.50 A DAY!! So $1 here and there is so appreciated and you can see the looks on their faces when you do so.
The food was pretty good. I consider myself to be a pretty picky eater since I dont eat Beef or Pork and was able to find something great to eat everyday. The buffets are pretty repetative, but if you find something you like, you'll get a chance to eat it almost everyday!! I was in LOVE with the guacamole. Almost every morning we had an omlette made for us at the omlette stand. If you enjoy eggs, this is your best bet. It was always so fresh and made to order. The same lady was working everyday for the 7 days we were there.. making omlettes from 7 am to 11am. EVERYDAY!!
We did not receive information about the hotel dining until the second day we were there, so here's a tip: the main buffet room is on the 1st floor next too the pool. There is also a buffet room (dinner only) that has the nightly shows also on the "R" floor. I am not sure if it is open every night for dinner everynight, as we only ate there 2 nights. Adobe (formerly Marias) is located next to the show room. This is one of the restaurants that you need a reservation. We ate there once and it was alright. People have their own likes and dislikes, so you'd have to be the judge. The Italian restaurant is also located on the 1st floor on the other side of the pool, under the Palapa. We made reservations twice and enjoyed it. Its a nice place to eat by the ocean and you can watch the sunset (at around 6:45). The Palapa also serves snacks (burgers, hotdogs, fries, pizza) during the day, around 12 I think.
The pool was nice, but we chose to spend our sun time on the beach. The white noise of the waves crashing was very relaxing. We never had a hard time finding lounge chairs, but would recommend getting up early to reserve one... especially if you want to sit under an umbrella. My boyfriend went to the beach at 7:03 one morning and got one of the last umbrellas on the beach. Not a big deal. We were on the beach, in MEXICO and it was WARM. If you got hot, you had the ocean right there.
There has been talk about jellyfish on some reviews, which I have to admit made me very cautious when I went into the ocean for the first time. However, we were at the beach and in the ocean everyday, about 4 days ALL day and saw one jellyfish. It was dead and on the beach. We never got stung and swam frequently. The sand is hot. That is not the fault of the hotel. Its 85 degrees everyday with no clouds. Ice is hot under those conditions. If you wear flip flops to walk on the beach, you shouldnt have a problem.
Waitresses stopped frequently taking our drink orders or just brought out trays of whatever and we were able to choose.
We went on 2 tours through Hectours/MLT Vacations that we booked the 2nd day we were there. The first tour was to Colima, the capital city of the state Manzanillo is located. On the same tour we stopped at Comala, a smaller town and had a traditional Mexican meal and were entertained by a band. Comala was probably one of my favorite spots. More rural than the big city, but very clean and beautiful. We also stopped at place where they make coffee located near the 2 volcanoes that we could view in the distance. I would recommend this tour to anyone who wants a little culture on their vacation.The tour guide spoke English.
Our second tour was to the Turtle Sanctuary. We were in a small group of 8 of us and our guide who was awesome. We became like a small family. Our guide really took the time to explain things to us, took us to a salt mine and then to the turtle sanctuary on a black sand beach. The sanctuary was a lot of fun, which included a boat tour of the lagoon where we saw crocodiles, snakes and tons of different and unique birds. On our way back from the sanctuary, our guide suggested we stop at the town of Cuyutlan for a beer and some lunch. This town was gorgeous and very very small in comparison to Manzanillo. In fact, my boyfriend and I are thinking of staying there next time we travel to Mexico. Very laid back town, right on the beach. I definitely recommend trying out the Turtle Tour if you only want to do one tour during your visit.
One day we went to downtown Manzanillo on our own. It was easy to grab a cab from the hotel, they were always ready and waiting. It was an $8 ride. We got to the town around 9:30am because we were told the shops open around 9... they more open around 10ish, but no problem, we walked around the town, found an open market where they sold fresh vegetables, fruits and meat. It was amazing. The shopping is pretty good downtown. Here's a hint: The further you walk into town, the cheaper the 'tourist' gifts are. T-shirts were about $3-4... but along the main shopping area, they were about $10. So go, explore.
One thing that is refreshing about Manzanillo is that the people are not aggressive sales people at all. If you've ever been to Cancun, you know what i'm talking about. They dont pressure you to come into their stores or braid your hair. Everyone is laid back and treat you so kindly. I noticed that most of the store employees do not speak English, but most everything is marked with a price and they take US dollars. We had a nice lunch in a hotel restaurant downtown for less than $20 and we had 4 drinks and food. So cheap. Finding a cab back to the hotel was easy and cost $10. Hint: when taking a cab back to the Tesoro, tell the cab you are going to Hotel Sierra. Apparently the Tesoro has had like 3 name changes in 5 years, so all cabs know it as Hotel Sierra. There is a Tesoro beach somewhere around Manzanillo and they may get confused and send you there.
I know that this is a long review, but I know that when I was reading reviews prior to my vacation I wanted to know as many tips as possible to make the best of my vacation. People vacation differently and have different opinions about everything. So I just wanted to share my experience. I would definitely go back in a heart beat. I appreciate the non-Americanized living of Manzanillo. Very different than Cancun or Puerto Vallarta. No loud spring breakers or clubs for that matter. Manzanillo is a treasure and I hope that it continues to stay a somewhat hidden vacation spot. El Tesoro means Treasure and that is how I'd describe my time there.
If you have any questions, I did actually leave out some details of my vacation, if you can believe that. I am just so excited about this town that I wanted to talk about as much as I could... so if there is anything else you'd like to know, I'd be more than happy to help you.

44  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle
Reviewed March 4, 2006

We just returned from 5 nights at the Tesoro. I had been at the Karmine Palace a few years ago and we were unable to get a room there. I had also read all the reviews and was very worried before we left.
When we arrived the front desk was very helpful and we recieved the room type we has requested. Our room was nice certainly not the Karmine palace but nice. It was large and the bathroom was in good order. We had problems with our AC the first night and they came within 30 minutes to fix it. We also felt our refrigerator could be cooler and that was replaced very quickly. Our only complaint about the room was the Bed! I think the floor would have been softer. We spoke to the front desk and they did put a pad on the bed which made it better. The food was pretty good the buffets are pretty standard for Mexico but the two ala carte's were very good. the service was great. The drinks were good and you could get brand names if you asked for them. The staff was great and the entire facility seemed very clean

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kamloops, BC
Reviewed February 27, 2006

My boyfriend and I just came back from a one week stay at the Tesoro Manzanillo Resort (Feb. 4 to Feb 11) and we had a fabulous time. It was our first time to Mexico and we thought the resort was great and that the city of Manzanillo was fantastic. We enjoyed that this isn't an Americanized area.

Our room at the Tesoro was your basic room with a king size bed. There was nothing spetacular about the room, just your basic hotel, but that was fine with us, we were only sleeping there. The room was very clean and housekeeping did an excellent job of cleaning the room. We always had fresh sheets, towels and the mini bar was always restocked. Our room was on the first floor, which was great. We had a nice little pad out side of our room that we sat on every night and watched the sun set. Being on the first floor let us be close to the pool, beach, and restaurants. A real plus not having to ride the elevators all the time. My only reccomendation is that if you have a first floor room, make sure to bring ear plugs as the disco is in one of the outside restaurants and you can hear the music. No problems with ear plugs though.

We found the rest of the hotel to be very nice. We really enjoyed all the food. We found that you would have to be a real fussy eater not to find something good to eat. The buffets were always well stocked and there seemed to be food and drinks available everywhere we looked. The a la carte dinners were excellent as well. Unfortunately we missed going to Maria's (closed on the night we planned on going), so we went to the Italian restaurant twice. Which was just fine with us, the food there was excellent. We reccommend the fish and the black olive chicken, both dishes were unbelieveable. Also order a Spanish coffee, the presentation is great and the coffee itself is out of this world. In fact the coffee in Mexico is wonderful, make sure to buy a bag or two to take home. We didn't bring home enough! We also went to most of the nightly shows. Each of these shows were great and we really enjoyed them. the activity staf at the resort does a fantastic job.

We spent a four out of our seven days going on tours. We really enjoyed all the tours. The ones we reccommend the most are the tour of Manzanillo City, snokeling and the hiking tour. We also went to Colima and very much enjoyed that, but be prepared that it is a full day and the there is a great deal of time set aside for shopping. As we were not that into shopping that got a bit annoying, but the rest was great. Our absolute favourite was the hiking tour. This tour is worth every penny ($45 US). You go outside of Manzanillo onto a private piece of land. You hike up the mountain and about 3/4 of the way up you stop and are taken into a series of limestone caves. If you are interested in taking this tour, make sure you take a good pair of shoes (sandals won't do) and wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty. All and all we found it very worth while to take part in these tours. They give you a real sense of the area that you are staying in.

Over all this was an excellent trip and we highly reccommend the Tersoro resort and the area of Manzanillo.

Erin and Wade.

28  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 27, 2006

Cost from MSP $1850 per couple included everything accept the $100 in tips we spent.

We were supposed to get king rooms with coffee maker
they tried to give us one double bed and no coffee maker.
Luckily we were traveling with another couple and thus were able to get a real nice two bedroom two bath apartment designed for their vacation club members ($10 tip for encouragement to find us rooms hing we liked). Nice and spacious with minor maintenance issues. A floor drain belched sewer gas--we covered it with a wet wash cloth. Dresser drawers slides did not work.

Positives:
Clean
nice views
Champagne every morning for breakfast
good fish -- mahi mahi with two meals each day
good bar brands
compact easy to get around facilities

Neutral:

food
maid requires $2-3 daily tip for wash clothes and nice towels.

dislikes:

front desk staff
one of 3 elevators not operational
beach sand was blister hot
people puting towels on chairs at 5am and than not using the chairs
lack of shady lounge areas
unorganized wait staff--major exceptions were
Artoro the waiter and Jesus the bartender--both top
notch.