Tesoro Manzanillo
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Manzanillo
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Anyone who's been baffled by the polar opposite reviews of the Tesoro should take what I'm about to say to heart. According to some of these writers, the Tesoro is hell on earth, a decrepit Bates Motel that's infested with all manner of vermin, with mold growing on every surface and food that would make a maggot woozy with nausea.

Please believe me when I tell you: IT'S NOT TRUE. The Tesoro is a quaint, intimate litle gem in a phenomenal location, staffed by some of the loveliest people I've ever had the goof fortune to meet. My wife and I just got home from a week there and we both wish we could have just one more day at the Tesoro, soaking up the sun, listening to the surf , being waited on hand and foot and taking in fabulous entertainment every night.

The hotel is nestled in a group of hills that's home to about six or seven resorts, all of which are more expensive than the Tesoro. The Karmina next door, for example, is $1,000 a week more. The Los Hados is also more expensive and doesn't have an elevator to the beach level. I could go on but I won't. We paid $1,400 per person, including the flight and taxes, for the week, all-inclusive.

The area is only minutes from downtown Santiago, a suburb of Manzanillo. The temperature is 30 C every day, there is little to no wind and the sun shines all the time. In fact, out of seven days, I saw very light cloud for a total of about 45 minutes. I noticed about a half dozen mosquitoes in seven days, and never encountered anything scarier than a bee the whole time.

Manzanillo, and the Tesoro in particular, is very popular with tourists from Guadalajara and Mexico City, so we got to meet a lot of Mexicans (which some reviewers seem to think is a bad thing - sigh).

Let's look at specifics:

THE ROOM: Our standard room was quite large, with tile everywhere. Some reviewers seem to think this is a bad thing. They apparently don't realize it HAS to be that way - if it wasn't, they'd have to replace everything after the rainy season. Just like the reason the building is white - it reflects the heat away so that the rooms aren't blazingly hot all the time. Some people complained about rust on fixtures. There may be a tiny bit but what do you expect? The ocean - that great oxidizer of all things great and small - is less than 50 yards away! (Which, by the way, makes for a magnificent view!)

I'll admit, the beds are hard, but that meant very little to me. Same with the fact there were only a couple of English channels on the TV. Who gives a rip? We were out of our room, except to change, from 7:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day. We were on the second floor, which meant we could keep our patio door open every night and listen to the drone of the surf. There IS a musty smell (again, you're right next to the ocean and AC is a moisture-based mechanism) but it comes from the air conditioning unit, NOT the room. Keep your AC off during the day and you won't notice it.

The bottom line is this: WHY ARE YOU IN YOUR ROOM??!! You're on vacation!!!!

THE BEACH: The Tesoro backs onto a horseshoe bay, which means it's for all intents and purposes a private beach. We rarely saw anyone other than guests using it. Yes, it's small, but who cares? I was there to soak up the sun and play in the surf, not go horseback riding. We never had a problem finding a lounger. In fact, the only downside is that the sand gets bloody hot.

Some people have complained that the ocean is "dirty" and cold. That's ludicrous. The Pacific shore is NOT the Caribbean; you shouldn't expect white sand and crystal clear, bathtub warm water. It's dark green and a little bit cool, which was great because most of the time I was overheated anyway.

THE POOL AREA: Just fine, thanks. It's not huge but it was more than enough to accommodate everyone while we were there. The swim up bar is also small but very efficient. There were a couple of days where we didn't move from the pools except to eat, and it was fantastic. To the reviewers complaining that the pool is too cold, I say pull the pacifier out of your mouth. It's freaking HOT out! I WANT my pool to be cool! Sheesh!

THE FOOD: Excellent. I got turned on to so many Mexican dishes that I'd never even heard of, and I couldn't get enough of the fruit. Loved the sausages, the pork dishes (forget the beef if you're used to Alberta quality, obviously) and the beans. And the salsa fresca! Ay caramba! I couldn't care less that there's little "normal" food on the menu, or that there aren't a dozen new selections every day. It's delicious and it fills the void. The end. Are you on vacation or on a scouting trip for the Iron Chef?

THE ENTERTAINMENT: I find it very interesting that all the crybaby reviewers neglect to mention the nightly shows. Could it be they prefer to be holed up in their rooms and pout rather than go out and have a good time? The entertainment was EXCELLENT! The Tesoro is lucky to have a group of incredibly talented people, especially Paolo, the MC and lead guy. The costumes are breathtaking, and some bits - like the acrobatics, trick ropers and a fantastic tenor - are Vegas quality.

If you're bored at Tesoro after dark, it's because you want to be. If you look at the pictures I posted, you'll see happy faces in the crowd. If they're so happy, why are some reviewers so miserable? If you WANT to have fun at the Tesoro, you WILL. I guarantee it.

THE STAFF: Utterly charming. With only a couple of exceptions, they were delightful. Fernando at the beach bar is just a blast. I commented on how the beach bar made the best mojitos at the resort and every time I saw him after that, he greeted me with a grin and shouted "Ey!! Mojito!!" A 20-peso tip was enough to elevate you from valued guest to Sinatra-esque high roller with just about everyone.

In fact, we gave our drink server at the pool a 50-peso note one day and I ended up having three beers going at once! I swear to God, she could read my mind. I'd be laying there thinking "Man, a beer would be good right now," and next thing you know she was standing there with her patented sweet smile: "Cerveza?"

J.C. from Air Transat and Miguel (or Miguelito, if you're a joking sort) are there to look after all your questions. The concierge, Susi, will take care of everything that they can't. The front door staff are excellent, making sure to fix your taxi price before you even get in the cab.

Everywhere you go in the resort, you will be greeted with sincere smiles, "Hola!" and attempts at English. For some reason, a few reviewers think it's the staff's duty to learn English because, of course, their sole reason for existence is to serve Canadians.

THE DRINKS: Have we become such an entitled, crybaby culture that we are actually able to complain about how much booze is in our free drinks? Or that the drinks are served in - horrors! - plastic cups? I won't dignify this twaddle by talking about it.

THE BOTTOM LINE: If you sincerely want to have a good time, and enjoy the sun, sand and surf, the Tesoro will take care of your every need for a great low price. If, however, you want to spend a week in a fancy hotel room, being fed Moxie's-style food and breathing recycled air, surrounded by people speaking perfect English and wearing sharp-creased slacks, I suggest you shell out the extra money and stay elsewhere.

Please, God, let this end the stupid debate over this delightful little resort. Te amo, Manzanillo. Te amo, Tesoro.

64  Thank Snerro
Write a ReviewReviews (1,301)

Reviewed February 19, 2009

Just recently returned from the Tesoro Hotel in Manzanillo. After reading the reviews on Trip Advisors I was worried about what to expect, so I kept my expectations low. However, upon arrival, I was totally impressed. The hotel was clean, the food was good (especially for a picky eater), the service was awsumb. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would go back again.

5  Thank hootie_9
Reviewed February 15, 2009

Recently returned from the Tesoro and bluntly the worst hotel / resort we have ever stayed at. So much negative however to be fair there were a few positivies which I will share first:

1) Most staff very friendly. Especially the bell hop and Fernando at pool bar.
2) Food was better vs Cuba and or DR
3) Ocean view from higher floors was very nice

Now for where the Tesoro is a step away from being a complete DUMP: and as you read this please understand I am not a snobby person nor do I expect the Ritz Carlton when travelling to a beach resort, but there was so much wrong with the Tesoro that YOU should give consideration prior to booking your trip regardless of what you may pay.

A/C in main part of building (lobby and night lounge) ???

Interior decor just like stepping into Rick's Cafe from the movie Casablanca, only problem is that the movie was made in 1941

A/C in room hit and miss

Before bell hop leaves room make sure all lights work

Do you like crusted on mildew you love the sink and taps?

Beds hardest we have ever slept on

Towels...ever use 100 grit sand paper??

No lobby bar or lounge open during day, the only one opens at 5:30 pm

Pool and beach chairs and loungers need replacing most are tired

Small pool bar. FRENANDO pool bartender was awesome

Elevators: RARELY WORKING and when you were patient enough to wait for one they would most often stop on every floor both down and up as if they were programmed to do so. Many complained to the front desk, it was suggested this was a new problem but when reading previous reviews you'll see it is an on-going issue. Not a big deal if on the first few floors but when on floors 9 - 16 it does become an issue.

Beach: guess we have been fortunate to travel to beaches that were much nicer, but there were many who really enjoyed it. Caution, there were several people stung by jelly fish and too close for comfort sting ray sightlings all within metres from entering ocean

POOL: FREEZING COLD. Don't believe there is a heater. Not to sound like a whimp, but most entering into pool were complaining how cold it was and shivering until getting use to the water temp. IT WAS COLD!!!!!

Pool NOT CLEANED WELL. Most resorts vacuum bottom and wipe scum from side of pool. I am not saying it wasn't done, but when there is A LOT of sand finding its way into the pool and first thing the next day the same sand is stil there that tells they aren't vacuuming often enough. I don't mean a little I mean a lot of sand. There was only one foot sprayer working (from beach to pool area) so enough said as to why so much sand.

If you like Christmas music in Februray especially the song " Santa Clause Is Coming To Town" get used to it because the girl working the music at the pool loves that music which is why she plays it. Forgetting about who is paying the bills; I guess it is all about making sure the DJ likes what she plays??

Honestly, if you feel the need to stay at a 1 - 2.5 star resort you will enjoy the Tesoro. If you expectations are 3 or above you may find yourself very disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank Wizalot
Reviewed February 14, 2009

The property is old and tired, immediately evident by the patio styled concrete blocks at the entrance and pool areas, and the eight foot ceilings throughout the hotel, lobby bar small , you can proably count the bottles on two hands and it does't open til 6:00 P.M. The standard rooms are very small,showing their age by the 6 inch floor tiles which are mostly craacked, T.V. remotes come complete with tape to hold them together. To get to your room you'll probably have to wait, in some cases 10-15 min, and if you're one of the unlucky ones maybe even get stuck in one. After a while you get into better shape walking up and down the stairs. Some of our group squashed a few bugs here and there in their rooms but hey, what you don't see during the night can't hurt you. The pool is small and pool bar even smaller, it opens at 11;00 A.M. and closes at 5;30 P.M.. One of the few bright spots is the snack bar, hot dogs and burgers etc. opens at about noon and closes at 5;00 P.M, and the staff who were always friendly and helpful. Bottom line is, if the Transat Holidays people repersented this hotel as a 2 1/2 to 3, one could have made a better informed choice. Pictures are misleading on the property

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank whitecourt
Reviewed February 13, 2009

We stayed at Tesoro on the first week of February 2009 and we enjoyed our stay there. We had read unfavorable reviews before we left for Mexico and I was a bit concerned of what I might have encountered there, but I felt really relieved when we got there and saw things were ok. Be sure, this is not a 5* hotel, and from some points of view, it's not a 4* either and what I mean by that is the rooms that are a bit outdated but very clean. We did not complain because of the bed 'cause it was ok. There was a bit of moldy smell in the bathroom, that usually went away when we kept the door closed and that's why we did not bother to change the room. The view from our balcony, that was huge, was extraordinary. The bay in the sunset was a real nice scenery. Our room was on the 8th floor, and we did not have problems with the elevators, we may have waited 5-7 minutes at the most, but usually 2-3 minutes.
In terms of the food, it was really good, there was variety, although they did not have a great salad bar. They had both Mexican and North-American dishes, so we could not complain at all about the food. The waiting time for the omlette in the morning was 3-5 minutes, this around 8:00-8:30. The staff was very nice and friendly, they made us feel at home. The A la carte's - pretty good, not outstanding, but I did not expect that. The Adobe is nicer, but for authentic Mexican food a la carte, definitely go out of the resort. The entertainment crew is great, Mara and Payo did very good jobs.
The beach was great, I really loved it, as well as the ocean and yes, we did swim a lot. The water was clean and clear all the time, few waves in the morning, no problem in getting loungers around 8:30 am on the beach,so no complain about that. It's true, there were people who used to reserve 4-8 loungers early in the morning and got to use them after 10-11 am, which I found very unfair. We did not use the pool at all, so I have no feedback about it.
The hotel itself is in a very nice neighbourhood, and a safe one. We walked around after 9 pm, and no danger at all. A lot of nice private houses and villas in that area. There's a store - Kiosk, not sure if it's non-stop, at 8-10 min walking, and they have great icea cream there, but the hotel is a bit far of Wallmart, Soriana...etc. There's a bus that stops in front of the hotel and a ride to Wallmart is around 15 minutes (4 pesos/one way).
The guided tours, we only took the one at Barra de Navidad, which was ok, but a bit expensive, definitely next time I'd rent a car and go there on my own.
Overall, we definitely enjoyed our stay, and we would come back to Tesoro!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Lusy79
Reviewed February 13, 2009

The Hotel was clean, wheel chair friendly, staff was good. Did not like the food too many repeats daily. Beds were really hard and unfortable and the pillows well they were rock solid. Beach too short. Hotel is far and inconvient to go for a walk any place. Road leading to hotel very steep and narrow. Need to take taxi's anywhere. At best I would rate this hotel a 3 star.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank scrapper101
Reviewed February 10, 2009

Even though our trip started out on a bad note when we checked in, assistence from our agent at Minnesota Travel Connections and Hectours in Manzanillo straightened everything out and it was great from then on. The Tesoro is an older hotel, but I have nothing but good things to say about the property, the staff, the cleaning, and the food. The variety at the buffet was changed each day and the FRESH fruit each morning was fantastic. One night we made reservations for the Italian dinner and the fish in white wine sauce was excellent, the lasagna I tasted left something to be desired though. A trip to Colima and Comala along with an atv ride, both through Hectours, were both great. While in Colima, the active volcano decided to spit up a cloud of ash and the atv ride was the best, and one I had been trying to find, of any I have been on in Mexico. One thing I have to absolutely make sure to mention, the view from the Tesoro is FANTASTIC. The sunsets were some of the best I have seen, but then it seems I say that every year. I am just blessed to have the opportunity to experience these trips to Mexico, especially with my cunado. This was my first stay in Manzanillo and the Tesoro was a good choice for an affordable vacation, which prompts me to check out Tesoros in other locations.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends