“Poor beach for swimming”
Review of Tesoro Manzanillo

Tesoro Manzanillo
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
B.C. Canada
“Poor beach for swimming”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

We have just returned from the Tesoro in Manzanillo. Our stay was 1 week Jan. 12-19, 2012. I did the research on the beach, but somehow I bombed. It is not a resort for swimming. We knew the size of the beach was small because it is in a wee bay, but by lunch time a skum starts to enter the bay from outer waters and makes it way to the beach frontage. This skum had an offensive odour similar to the air around a pulp mill. The odour was around the pool in the afternoon,.If the breeze is right, it will drift into the open air restaurant. A lot of guests assumed that it was sewer. Others said it was just sea water and still others said it was from the few fishing boats in the bay. We disagreed with all those suggestions. Rather, we think the current is right for this little bay, seemingly the smallest bay in the hotel areas and it simply collects there, and takes a few hours to wash out..The Las Hadas and Karamina Palace did not have this problem, at least according to guests from those resorts. Others we talked to have stayed previously at the Tesoro and agreed fully that this was their reasoning for staying elsewhere.

The hotel itself is great for a 3*. You will not want to be on the 11th floor because the elevator does not want to stop at that floor. It will on occassion, but it becomes irritating after the first day. Some guests changed rooms while the others learned to get off a floor above or below and take the stairs the rest of the way. I found the e-mail address for the resort before we left, so if anyone wants to request a room anywhere but the 11 th floor, here is the address:

reservationsmzlo@tesororesorts.com
and to the attention of Gabriela

Also, if anyone has a problem walking any distance, ask for a room close to the elevator. This place is like a maize to find your way around and the rooms can be a good long walk for anyone who is somewhat limited.

The desk staff are the most accommodating anywhere. The seem to never tire of the endless requests from guests. My sister asked to be moved from the 11th floor, and they were given keys to look at three different rooms before she found one to her liking. I noticed others getting the same considerations. I cannot say enough about all the staff in all areas of the resort. They cannot do enough for a guest.

The food is plentiful, the variety is very good, and as with all all inclusives, they get tedious after one week. No complaints on the food from anyone. There are not enough lounge chairs around the smallish pool. You do need to get up and get down there early and stake your claim. The entertainment is very good for a 3*.

While we did take a taxi to a good swimming beach for one afternoon, we will not return to the Tesoro because of the beach and the odour, a problem the hotel can do noting about.

The rooms are large. We were in 419. One of the best. All are musky. Take an air freshner. The beds are wonderful, but the pillows are incredibly hard. Prepare to be airborne in the showers...the pressue is amazing. Never a shortage of hot water. Good hair dryers in the bathrooms.

Anyway, I guess that's about it. Everyone seemed to be having a good time despite the beach, so it's all in what you want.

Room Tip: Avoid the 11th floor because of obstinate elevators. Ask for a room close to the elevators of you...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank ohmeohmy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Tesoro resort from the 13th - 22nd of December 2011. It was a very spontaneous booking for us, we saw a great deal and went for it. After making the reservation I went back to look at the reviews and had some cold feet, as the majority said the resort was awful...

I don't even know what these people were on during their stay! Perhaps, they are so used to 5 star resorts they couldn't look past the little imperfections.
Tesoro was stunning. The view from our fifth floor room was like looking into paradise, a beautiful view of the resort's private beach surrounded by palm trees and blue skies. Heaven.
The room itself was lovely. The bed was huge and so comfortable, we just sank straight into it. The room was basic, but sweet and very rustic looking, which I loved. The bathroom could have done with a paint job, but was very clean. I loved the architecture of the whole place, lots of hidden coves and sweeping arcs. Very traditionally Mexican.

The food in the restaurants was very repetitive after a few days, but I found that the upper restaurant in the theatre usually had a bigger variety. ( I even think it could read my mind, I was craving some roast beef and mashed potatoes one evening and voila! ) The entertainment in the theatre was also fabulous, the crew worked so hard keeping everyone entertained on the beach during the day, and performing for us at night.

The service was excellent, my boyfriend definitely took advantage of the all inclusive drinks at the poseidon bar, and he was in heaven chatting with the bartenders as I sun tanned next to the pool.
I think we went at the perfect time, two weeks before christmas. During our stay the hotel wasn't busy at all, in fact out package group and some other Mexican tourists were the only people there. On our last day 5 other groups came in, so we just missed the Christmas rush. It was perfect, the beach was scattered with a few people here and there, but if you went down before ten it was deserted! People complained the sand was dirty, the sand was black in some places but was not dirty, it's was volcanic sand from the dormant volcano nearby... we also went to a beach which was purely black volcanic sand and was actually very beautiful!

As for activities, there was plenty for us 20 year olds to do if you had the cash. We booked a couple of tours to keep us occupied, the best of which would be the Zip lining tour! I would strongly recommend this to anyone going, no matter how old you are! It was exhilarating and instantly cured my hangover from the night before! We also took part in an eco tour where we got to release baby sea turtles which was certainly an inspirational highlight of our trip.
If you're thinking of going snorkelling, I would recommend just buying your own equipment and snorkelling along the rocks either side of the bay rather than booking a tour. We did both, and the tour was a disappointment, as we were given life jackets that we had to wear and no snorkel. Not to mention they released about 100 people into the water at the same time, scaring off a lot of the fish. However, when we took off down the beach by ourselves, goggles in hand we saw lots more beautiful fish and could get in and out at our leisure for free, sans life jackets. Watch out for the sea anemones though, my boyfriend trod on one and stung his toe.

The tours are a little expensive, but it's worth doing a couple of them. Other than that venturing off on your own is fine, it cost us 6 pesos (60 cents) to take a bus into downtown Manzanillo which was lovely. And we walked to a local flee market (in the mid day sun ... which wasn't a great idea, I was complaining the whole way, should probably have taken the bus)

All in all, we had a lovely time with lovely weather. I honestly wish I had never left.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Charlotatot
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I just recently visited Tesoro Manzanillo over the Christmas break for 2 weeks. We had gorgeous weather the entire time making the sand red hot but the ocean a perfect Temp. When we arrived we were Given 2 room keys, wristbands and 2 towel cards. Normally we would have also received a remote but the man who didn't understand English very well said tomorrow. Not really a set back except the remote never came. We phoned multiple times for anything and if you were lucky you got it the same day. The minibar consisted of 2 cans of Pop and 2 water and to get more the same day cost you 22 pesos. Laundry was pricy, took An hour to be picked up 4 hours to wash but they did a wonderful job with stains. The beach sand was kind of dirty and the first day I stepped on glass and cut my toe but the water would make up for it, so I thought. The water had something in it causing a bite/ rash of some sort on multiple people, no idea what it was and the staff didn't understand what we were saying but there's a pool! With a bar also however the kids were everywhere even though they had there own 3 slide water park and separate kids pool. Oh well maybe adult time will be at the disco (11 pm-1am) wrong again but not as many little ones. But beside all this the staff were awesome but idsuggest for families before couples or young groups.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank Brenna B
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2012

First time in Manzanillo. Tesoro hotel somewhat disappointing though. Rooms were clean though beginning to show real age (or neglect).Outside door unable to be kept locked,bathroom floor cracked. Good bed though.
Could use more directional signs. Felt like a maze.
Menu was the same every day but sadly, insipid. A la carte restaurant was good .
Nightly shows were excellent given the fact the performers had to work the crowds during the day.
Tesoro should pay their employees more than five bucks a day and save guests having to tip for any and every request, Tip expected with every drink .Becomes irritating after not too long.
Pool way too small for a place that has close to 400 rooms.
Don't expect to sleep much until the over amplified music man finishes (around 1.00am).
ps Tesoro..... replace the beach chairs, they are all broken.

Room Tip: Suggest asking for a room high up to minimise the over enthusiastic dj who seems determined to have...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank zrett

Travelers are raving about these Manzanillo hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We knew it was going to be a good trip when the single person sitting on the plane next to us on the way there was going back for his third trip to the Teroro Manzanillo.

FOOD & DRINKS
The food was good, but the A la carte was Amazing. Juan Carlos took good care of us as we ate 6 of 7 nights here. Best soup of my life (Tortilla Soup), and the Peninsula Cheese dish was also incredible. The red wine in the A la carte was also a great surprise as all inclusive tend to have bad wine. Be sure to ask Juan Carlos for a Spanish Coffee, it is a great drink and an even better show watching him prepare it… be sure to tip him… he works hard to make you feel like a king (and we did).

Drinks were great with fantastic beer (I love Sol beer, on tap its better then Corona). Lots of other great drinks, please try the "Dirty Monkey"mmmmm.

STAFF
The staff was friendly, and half spoke English... they all tried to communicate with you. Everyone was friendly, but we found the Animation team especially friendly. We miss you Peppi & Breeza. There was one Animation staff who was not as friendly... the buff guy... He was more concerned about having a good time then making the guests have a good time... and he is a poor sport in beach volleyball... I don’t think he liked our team beating his, lol. The animation team is busy for much of the day with activities for the guests, and in the evening they do the shows and disco… Once you get involved in one of their activities, they call you out on the PA to come over and get involved in each activity… We felt like it was our friends inviting us to join the activity… they really made our week fun

ROOMS
Our room was clean and had a tall vaulted ceiling, yes there were some small maintenance issues, but we are in Mexico, not the Ritz NY. Other friends we made on the trip did not have as good experience with their rooms in some cases… they had to be moved and still there room had rust stains in the tub that were offensive. There is only one word to describe the beds… Fantastic. Maybe a bit on the firm side, but truly the best hotel bed I have ever slept on. All rooms have beach and ocean view facing the sunset… and oh what a sunset.

I will be back and soon... actually looking to return in Feb 2012...

There is a bit of haze in the air as the electricity is generated from coal… this will be changing to Nat Gas within the year and it will make a huge difference.

This resort is serving about 25% Canadian & Americans, and 75% Mexicans… but everyone was friendly and tried to communicate with each other.

I recommend both the deep sea fishing and the zip line. We caught 30+ tuna, and two Dakata (mahi mahi). We were out on the water for 5 hours for what was a half day trip. The zip line is not for the faint of heart… damn scary and fun. Your guide is a great guy… Jonathan is only 19 but he will take good care of you… you have to get over the fact that he looks like he is 13 and your life is in his hands.

This is a 3 star resort but it felt like a 4 star resort to me, and such a great deal. If you go expecting a 5 star resort you will be disappointed… if you can’t accept little flaws then you should probably stay in Canada or the US and at a 5 star hotel and stop complaining about little details.

Have fun, and be sure to say hello to Juan Carlos in the a la carte restaurant… Remember a bit of tipping goes a long way… No one asked for it or gave us bad service if we did not tip… but we tip and I notice that we get good service. They work hard and make a tiny fraction of what Canadians make… I was happy to share a tip with them and they were happy to share their wonderful county with us.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the 4th floor 401 - 410, this is not in the tower... and perfect for views and clos...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
14 Thank Donald O
Regina
Reviewed December 31, 2011

We stayed at the Tesoro Dec 21-28th with our 3 kids, 15, 14, 10yrs. The drive from the airport was about 20-30 mins. The hotel was as expected, similar to the Tesoro in Ixtapa we stayed at. We were happy with our ajoining rooms although there were no face clothes and very limited hand towels. Rooms were clean and beds comfortable. The hotel is a bit dated but kept clean, which is all we need. As expected it was fairly busy during Christmas. This is a destination for those from Mexico City ect and families so lots of little kiddies, I don't recommend it for those that are looking for quiet adult company. The pool area did fill up quickly and lines at the bar were long, but only at times. The beach was very nice and our kids had fun in the waves and did a bit of snorkling. The pool activities staff were ok, they did not force anyone to participate. The restaurants were good quality food but if your looking for a wide variety of Canadian/American foods and tons of it, this is not the place, we enjoy the tostados, refried beans and fish as well as the fruit. We were disappointed tho, no guacamole! Torilla soup in a la carte is a must try, staff there were great! The service was average, nothing to complain about, but nothing to rave either. We went to the Saturday market which was good for kids to see, how the locals do there shopping... we didn't do much else. The absolute best thing about this vacation and destination is the weather!! Those that haven't tried the pacific side really should, the guaranteed sun and above 30 temps with little wind will have anyone forgetting that white sand and blue green water very quickly!! This is our 5th year along the pacific and can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: If your looking for rooms together for a family, the second floor had ajoining rooms. I emailed a w...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank nattieLPN
Melfort, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Despite the size this hotel ohe beach is tucked away in a secluded cove and is very clean. The rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. The shower/bath is somewhat dated but you get over it. The pool area is nice, but the bar tends to get busy and lineups occur but tip the waitress and she will bring drinks to you. This hotel would be good for a family, seniors, and the disco provides a setting for the younger people. The a la cartes are good too, book in the morning you want to go. And one good thing as well NO TIMESHARE people, or people selling trinkets on the beach. Overall a nice resort, it exceeded my expectations, and those who complain, why don't you just stay home, and quit your whining.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo