“Just Know What You're in For”

Gran Festivall All Inclusive Resort
Ranked #34 of 51 Hotels in Manzanillo
Reviewed March 8, 2009

We read the advisory and either ignored the warnings or did not understand them. My husband and I took our three year old son. With a ratio 20-1 Mexican to Canadian tourist there were mixed looks. Some locals were pleasant, others stared as if we should not have been there. The staff was quite friendly. Weekends are crazy busy. This is because it is a weekend getaway for many locals. It means far more people but far more amenities. Both buffets were open an both bars were open. That's right! That means from Sunday night to Thursday night only one location for food and drinks! This could be because of the recession, too. Regardless, we went at a peek time. You would think that everything would be open all week.
Originally, we had thought we wanted an ocean view. Don't do it. It was a one room suite, that was so high up that my son couldn't do it. We got there on a Friday night and the weekends are so busy that we could not switch rooms until Sunday. Oh, and Friday night is Black Lighting show night. So, if you arrive when we did, the place will be in darkness. At first I thought it was for the full effect of the show (which it could have been) but later that night there was a black out for over an hour. Anyway, when we did move rooms we were steps from the main area. Very close to the pools, the dinning, the bar and the market. We also got the room that we had thought we had reserved. The one with a separate bedroom. Well worth it! The bedroom was large and had it's own A/C and bathroom. We also had an unexpected kitchenette. We were on the ground level which meant we also had a yard which was great!
I liked the food, my husband did not and I have never seen my son eat so much. I just found (like all resorts I have ever been to) that after day 5 everything looked the same.
I thought the pools were amazing. The main pool was huge. It ranged from 4 foot to 6 foot. The kids pool was just of off that The water slides were enjoyed by all. We loved the lagoon pool and the adult pool was to die for. All of the trees are mature so everywhere you go you have your choice of sun or shade. The grounds are beautiful! Huge tennis area, a giant field for all sports and courts for basket ball. All well kept.
The beach was a hike but, it had an area that was designated for the resort. Stay to the right!!! You have to pay on the left. The water is rough and the sand is quite dirty. The bridge to the beach is Meava's so there is a desk there to get towels and shower off.
Because of the extreme language barrier we were reluctant to leave our 3 year old at the kid zone. But having to pass it everyday to the beach or lagoon we had to let him go in for a few hours. It was slow, so one women looked after him the whole time and she spoke English really well. There is a mini pool in there for them with a little slide. There is a giant playground that I wanted to try but no adults allowed. I was impressed by the size and all of the provisions in this area. There is also another play area on the grounds too. There was zip lining, archery and roller blading.
The market was really convenient. Most things were really well priced. We got pool toys there (sand toys on the beach) both at good prices.
I probably have gone into way too much detail, but our orientation was a joke. She told us nothing! I asked her if there would be a room available for an hour to shower and freshen up before getting on the bus when leaving because check out is at noon (we left in the evening). She said yes and the front desk had no clue what we were talking about. Saying that, there are washrooms out the front of the lobby with showers. I found that out too late..
I knew that we were compromising a lot for a vacation that my son would love. For the price, it is pretty much what I expected. My husband is still in shock and will not go back, not even to Manzanillo. I would go back mainly because my son loved it..

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Ellison9
There are newer reviews for Gran Festivall All Inclusive Resort

Reviewed February 23, 2009

Please take my word for this place DONOT stay here 95% latin people. Stray cats everywhere and our room smelt so much like mold that we could not sleep. We had to go down to the store and bye some bleach and clean are room. We asked to get another room but that was a joke there was only one person there that spoke english and he was never around????

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2009

The hotel needs a major renovation! The rooms are dirty, and the plumbing is a 100 years old. On the 2nd day we asked to have our room switched. The new room was better in terms of the layout but still dirty and old. We found a huge bug in the room, the showers were not cleaned everyday and the bed is rock hard. The resort itself is not very well lite either.
It seems like a time share for locals, there were a lot of locals vactioning there.
The food is okay, not much variety and could have more fruit
The pool is okay, nothing spectacular
The beach is great but a long walk and you have to pay to use the chairs.
The only good thing about this place is the location and the entertainment. The animation team were awesome! Chris, Daniel, Alessandro...they kept everyone entertained ( and not bad to look at either)
The shows were great! the kids loved them.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2009

Resort had a great location, beautiful rooms and views, lush gardens, great food, great pool, great entertainment. The Beach was dirty, rough and generally unusable but the weather was great.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thorold
Reviewed December 2, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Maeva for a week. Walking to our room was a work out, which was greatly needed. The daily activities were fun and engaging. You could choose to participate or not. The best part was the FOOD. It was authentic, delicious Mexican cuisine. Those of you who complain about it are a bit confused about the country you are traveling too. The experience was perfect because we kept an open mind, were patient, and tried new things. We are going back in December.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MEIFresno
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Probably the best entertainment crew I have ever witnessed! between the sports organised during the day, to the shows in the evening, to the competitions at night, the Amigo's never fail to impress....

Beautiful grounds, fantastic staff and an incredibly good looking chief made for a memorable stay! i'm just sorry my stay was cut short by an irish football club :D

Amigos include Jenny (papaya), Chris (Pescado), Cesar, Alicia, Alisha, JPabs, Cote, Davide, Jess, Memo and too many others to name......

Wishing every future success

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank Gln_8
Reviewed August 25, 2008

This place was by far the worst "resort" i have ever stayed at..people should not pay to go there..people should BE PAYED to go there...
horrible, bugs in bed, dirty beds, pools, horrible food, stray hungry cats running around everywhere..this is a local mexican favourite holiday spot, so unless you want to be stared down by a bunch of mexicans while trying to enjoy the disco, i suggest you find another resort. Oh and by the way, the beach, is NOT a beach..and it is probably a 15 minute walk from the hotel to the beach, gross sand, horrible water, plus you have to pay to use a chair. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE RESORT I CANT EVEN BEGIN TO TELL YOU TO NOT GO THERE.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family