“Las Hadas Again :)” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
Winnipeg, Canada
“Las Hadas Again :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

Just back from two weeks at Las Hadas .

I may stop giving this place such a good review because last year when we arrived it was just the two of us when we checked in this year it was 8 couples getting pretty busy .

First the flights and Air Transat

South bound had a 1 hr delay for deicing other than that and the seat I sat in meant for a 3 year old it was a typical charter flight , Best thing I can say is that they didn’t need the jaws of life to get me outta my seat and we were 40 minutes early coming home.

Las Hadas is still a great place , quiet and under capacity sitting at around 20% so no beach vampires or pool ghouls , mostly fellow Canadians with a nice mix of local people .

It is older but extremely well maintained , this year there was a ton of mosquitoes in the room and on the property , not sure if the rain before we arrived had anything to do with that or not .
No jelly fish at all this year must be a warm ocean current thing swimming in the ocean was great nice and clean water ,it was cool but refreshing on the hot days .

Food was marginally better this year had better beef steaks and the A La Crate menus were good but never changed unless you count the theme nights .

Legazpi is still a slow place to eat ( 3 hours ) but good food and ambience ( except for a couple of guys in baseball caps) really baseball caps and fine dining ?

Went kayaking one morning and had two dolphins right beside us for about ten minutes really something .
Took the Thursday sunset cruise , good deal for the money lots of booze and entertaining a great way to see the bays for $45.00.
Went to Melaque and Barra De Navidad as well , Melaque was uh interesting, not a whole lot to see and do but Barra De Navidad was nice and we will return there on our own without the tour group next time.
The Transat tour guide drives to Melaque opens the door and says one hour go shop , well shopping there is not that good and there is really nothing else to see so a bit of a waste , Barra De Navidad we did some research on and took a boat tour while we were there and took in the sights as I said we will be back .

As for Las Hadas if you are considering staying here …you will have to sign for everything as some people are all inclusive and and some are not plus the dreaded wrist bands .
Overall a great place older property but stylish unlike the newer cookie cutter hotels , clean spacious not for anyone who has mobility issues as there is lots of walking uphill mostly and on cobblestone walkways .

Service from everyone was great front desk , bellman , bartenders and maids and servers all friendly and much appreciated .

Will we go back …..depends if a lot more people start going then no but if it stays like this then more than likely very relaxing vacation .
Picture was taken of a sunrise off the balcony of our room .

2 Thank FUBOB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Finnish first
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

We spent the week all-inclusive from Tues.Feb.21st to the 28th, 2012, and enjoyed it over the Barcelo at Huatulco last year Mar.1st to 8th, 2011.

Transat airline service and flights were superior to Sunwings. Still mad at Sunwing for one-day delay last year due to plane equipment failure and restrictive discount offered in response.

Were able to enjoy going into the water on the beach and stay in the water, nicely graded compared to the steepness and undertow at Huatulco. No fighting against the undertow to stay safe then having to remove sand out of your bathing suit. Nice marina next door with yachts etc. Few Canadian flags flying on-board too. Friends were invited on-board a boat sailed by a couple from Toronto. They're living the dream.

This is a quiet resort. No loud speakers barking activities by the pool.

24/7 showing of the movie '10' on TV channel 40, parts were filmed at the LasHadas back in late 70's, but who goes to Mexico to watch the idiot box. Had a flat screen tv vs. the CRT at Huatulco.

Only a breakfast buffet with limited selection. Remainder of day you can order from the beach cafe and have it delivered to you on the beach or pool side. Supper at the ala carte or sit down restaurant, order from menu, very nice. Waiters on-hand to bring drinks and snacks to you on beach and pool side. Swim-up bar available but with the waiters always available no need to clamour about the bar.

Took the local bus service to the strip mall nearby to nose around in the Wal-Mart. Not very different from Winnipeg's. What a riot taking the local bus for a ride around town. I wouldn't rent a car to drive there. Don't know what the rules of the road are or if there are any. Hold your youngsters by the hand if near the roadways. Don't want them running out into that traffic.

Canadian Prairies
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

We were a group of 6 people in our 30s & 40s, 2 couples and 2 singles. We found Las Hadas pretty quiet at first but met lots of terrific people at this resort so we were able to have a wonderful experience. I don't recommend this for people who have to be entertained and can't make their own fun or good times. I also don't recommend this for people who can't stand the company of the people they are travelling with! If that's the case go somewhere more commercial with those cheesy shows so you can ignore your travel buddies! If you truly enjoy the company of your travel companions and don't mind making new friends you will love this place. By the end of the week our group had more than doubled in size.

Food: We enjoyed all of our meals. This was the first time any of us have stayed at a resort that only had a la carte options for lunch and dinner and I have to say it was a nice change from buffet lines and reheated food! All the food was fresh and well prepared and the service was right on. It was really nice being able to sit on the beach or pool and have the servers bring us not only our drinks but our food as well. Breakfast was the only meal served buffet style; however your eggs are cooked to order so we took full advantage and tried different omelet/egg creations everyday. You never have to wait for a cup of coffee here because they leave a carafe of coffee on every one's table, they also had a really large selection of teas, some of us ordered fresh cappuccino and espresso as well.

Rooms: We all loves our rooms. We had the Brisas club rooms which are more the size of small apartments than hotel rooms. No two rooms had the same lay out, each had unique floor plans. All of them had a large sitting room, small kitchenette with stocked mini fridge, separate toilet closet from the rest of the washroom, huge bedroom with king size beds, and large decks. The walk to our rooms was beautiful, and while there was some stairs to climb I didn't really hear any complaints from my friends, some of whom have knee problems. For those of you who tend to over-indulge in drinks and sun and need to go back to your room early for R&R they have flat screen TVs with plenty of English programs, and iPod compatible clock radios to entertain you as you rest.
Pool: The pool was quiet with plenty of loungers. tons of space. No need to save a chair early in the morning, huge bonus! I hate those people who save a chair all day only to use it hours after lunch. The staff at the pool bar and swim up bar were awesome and very accommodating.
Beach:The beach is clean and again there's no need to save a spot! This is a great beach for snorkeling and swimming. It's safe and calm. My husband is a non-swimmer and he had no issues. The sand is soft and dark so it gets quit hot in the sunlight. Some of us had our own snorkel gear and really enjoyed checking out the tropical fish, crabs and stingrays (tiny ones).
Marina: It's right next door and had several great restaurants. The food was great, service terrific and the company even better! We ate at the Marina Grill and the Bistro, didn't get to eat at Poco's Pizza but hear it was also great.
Golf: The golfers in our group and the ones we met took full advantage of this course and really enjoyed themselves. I can't comment on any specifics but if you have questions let me know and I can get your answers from my friends (I don't golf).
Miramar beach: This place was lots of fun. We did some shopping in the little markets there before lunch, then rented an umbrella with some loungers for 100 pesos. We ordered food and drinks from one of the restaurants, it was delicious. I also bought some fresh fruit from one of the girls selling it. We were there on a Saturday so there were lots of people trying to sell us trinkets and stuff. We didn't mind, they weren't pushy. The waves at this beach are lots of fun, but ladies if you want to spend any real time playing in the waves might I suggest a sports bra style bikini top and some board shorts!(I kept loosing my bikini!)

Low occupancy: We were told that the low occupancy is due to the fact that there are no direct flights to Manzanillo from the US any more. I think there was only around 25% occupancy. Like I said earlier, don't let this deter you from staying at this resort unless you can't stand your travel buddies and don't like meeting people. This was the most relaxing trip I've had yet. The low occupancy hasn't stopped the service here from being great.

Excursions: I didn't do nearly as many excursions as I have on other trips which may be why I was far more relaxed. We did the zip line tour, which I would recommend, and a nice little snorkel trip. We were fortunate to see a pod of dolphins during the snorkel trip and a rather large stingray flipped out of the water. The water clarity was pretty good and there was plenty of pretty fish and coral. Our guides kept bringing up different species for us to see (star fish, urchins, blow fish etc).
Shopping: I didn't do nearly as much shopping as I have in the past, so I can't really comment extensively. I found a few little trinkets at the Miramar market so didn't feel the urge to go to the big Saturday market. We did drive buy the main market when it was on and it looked extensive. We went to a chain called ARCE for our tequila (there's one across from the Barcelo entrance off the main road). I'm very glad I bought there and not at the airport because one of the bottles we bought was double in price at the airport ( Tres Generaciones Anejo tequila- 400 pesos in town 800 pesos @ airport), and the airport didn't carry the second brand we chose (El Tesoro de don Felipe Anejo). I like the anejo (aged) tequila. It's more pricey than the reposado tequila but there's not a great selection in Canada and the price is crazy high here.

We had a glitch!: When we checked in one couple was put in a room far removed from the rest of our group, they tried to ask for a room closer to us but were told none was available!!! This was obviously not true. When they got to the first room they were assigned they found it was full of another couple's belongings so they immediately went back to the front desk to get an unoccupied room. The next room they were assigned to was right beside the rest of our rooms! Not sure why this happened but at least it was fixed, just wish the front desk people had been more accommodating right off the bat.

I'm sure I've missed something so feel free to write me and ask anything!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Kirbster119
Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

My Wife and I spent a week at Las Hadas from February 14 to 21 and it was the nicest resort we have stayed at. Unfortunately a lack of guests meant there was no entertainment and the dining options were limited. I estimate there were less than 100 guests the week we stayed and the resort can hold between 500 and 600 people.

The resort overall and our room in particular were beautiful, clean, comfortable and well maintained. Our room was large, the bed was comfortable and everything worked as expected. We were very happy with the facilities and accommodations. This was the most comfortable all inclusive resort we have stayed at. It is not recommended for people with mobility issues as there are lots of stairs and or steep ramps.

The food was fresh and the restaurant service was good. Breakfast was only available buffet style at El Palmer or from room service. The breakfast buffet was typical fruit, cold cereal, bacon, sausage, Mexican specialties, pancakes, toast, pastries, and a grill where you could get eggs any style and omelettes. Lunch was available from El Oasis on the beach or the a-la-carte restaurant Los Delfines. El Oasis had hamburgers, hotdogs, french fries, fish, clubhouse sandwich, etc, all cooked fresh. Los Delfines is mostly seafood but chicken, pasta and beef are also available. 4 of the 7 nights the Legazpi restaurant was open otherwise the only evening meal option was Los Delfines. All of our evening meals, either at Legazpi or Los Delfines, were very good. The food was fresh and hot and the presentation was excellent. By Canadian standards we judge them to be not the kind of place you would rave about but someplace you would recommend to your friends and where you might return more than once. We preferred the a-la-carte dining at Las Hadas to the buffet dining at other all inclusive we have stayed at.

The pool was clean and the water was warm and with less than 100 guests there was no shortage of chairs. The beach was OK, nothing special.

Our only disappointment was the lack of entertainment. In previous years, at other all inclusive resorts, we have enjoyed the evening entertainment but because of the low number of guests there was no entertainment. Once the sun went down and you had dinner there was nothing else to do except drink, if that is your thing.

This was our first trip to the Manzanillo area and we found that tourism is not really a priority here. The tours we booked through Transat or Tlaloc were good but there was limited variety.

In summary, I think we would recommend other areas of Mexico over Manzanillo but if someone wanted to go to Manzanillo we would definitely recommend Las Hadas.

2 Thank McBubba
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

This was my husband's and I first trip to Manzanillo and to Las Hadas. If you want relaxation and privacy, this is the place to go. Unfortunately, the hotel was only 30% full, so not all activities and restaurants were functioning fully. That being said, what was functioning was very good. The meals were excellent at this resort; the staff was always friendly and accomodating and you really can't beat the architecture and grounds of Las Hadas. If you want long, leisurely walks on a beach - then don't come here; small, but nice beach. Swimming area is great for snorkelling & kayaking, but not for boogie boarding. It's about a half hour walk to any shopping, so if you like alot of shopping, that's inconvenient. The golf course is amazing!!! Come with lots of balls if your aim isn't so good!!! Beautiful course!!
Would I go back? Probably not. But only because I know of other areas that I can get what I really want.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that overlook the ocean.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dianne0331
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

We were a group of 9 Texas girls (one was from Seattle, one from Minnesota) who were celebrating a birthday at Las Hadas for a long weekend. We loved this hotel, staff and accommodations! The majestic beauty is everywhere from the grounds, the beach, the rooms, the view, the flowers. We all felt like beautiful princesses as we walked everywhere and felt 100% safe! There were no vendors on the private beach, however, the hotel did have some vendors set up their tables near the beach that you could shop. We all bought beautiful pearl necklaces! Our package included breakfast that was amazing! You could select fresh fruits, traditional mexican, make your own omelette. We even requested ice tea for breakfast with lots of ice and the waiters were so accommodating! Also included was the Beach Club Happy Hour daily from 5-6pm! Highly recommend this, it is located in an elevated area up from the beach that is shaded and provides a perfect end to a day at the beach. One day we ordered hamburgers, yes hamburgers and fries on the beach that were awesome!. The beach is protected and the hotel provides chairs and thick 8" mattresses to lie on the sand! Luxury! The staff was always around to drive you via golf cart if needed and meet your every need! Having traveled extensively in Mexico I think Manzanillo is one of my most favorites! We went to town every night to go to dinner and then dancing! We always felt safe.
Highly recommend Las Hadas! You will love it!

Room Tip: We had rooms on the 4th and 3rd floors and the views were absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. They...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank JaneinAustin
Morelos, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

We stayed at Las Hadas on a very economical all-inclusive package from Canada. This hotel retains most of its elegance in its bones though today there are wrinkles. The property is physically challenging with lots of stairs and steep hills to climb to get to your room, to the beach, to the restaurants, to the lobby and reception. It is possible to call a "carro" ( a nuisance) and in the rainy season ( May to September) or in the recent very unusually wet weather, an umbrella or a plastic poncho would be useful to get to place to place without getting soaked. Also the stones of the paths and stairs can get dangerously slippy when wet.

Our room in the Brisas Club section was clean and comfortable, and supplied with two comfy bathrobes. It was a little disconcerting that the terrace could be easily accessed from outside because the barrier prickily bushes at the side were no more. I was glad I was not solo in this room. Better gardening upkeep is required! The attentive housekeepers saw that we had everything else that we needed. We TIPPED THE HOUSEKEEPER EVERY DAY as their shifts change and we had a succession of wonderfully energetic 'grandmothers' cleaning our room. Our room had a musty beach cottage smell at first, but open veranda windows and the fan going soon aired the room. The AC was efficient. All-inclusive guests have 4 Coronitas beer, 2 large and 2 small bottles of water and 2 packets of coffee in the fridge every day. Everything else in the minibar has a large charge! Prices are posted.

All-inclusive guests have to sign for drinks and meals.
Breakfast in the El Palmar buffet restaurant was very pleasant and service was good for coffee. Sometimes guests have to be assertive about asking for dishes that have run out of food! It was easy to get an omelette, but I wish the chef had used utensils instead of hands! Also often there was a taste of onion where there should not have been. Yuck.
Los Delfines is a lovely restaurant to eat lunch or dinner, but service can be erratic. If you are lucky to have him, Gaspar, el capitan/maitre d', is excellent, hard-working and charming and he gives good service. There, the seafood was delicious, the Mexican fiesta night most disappointing in both atmosphere and food, but the Italian night was surprisingly good and as authentic as one can get that far from Italy. House wine (Baja California Mexican wine) is free to AI guests but you pay a preminium for a bottle of your choice.
You have to book at Reception for the Legazpi Restaurant. The air conditioning there is enthusiastic, so the dress code of long pants and shoes for men (to match the dress-up style of their ladies!) is comfortable. Baggy surfer shorts, muscle man T-shirts with a large garnish of underarm hair, baseball caps and flip flops just don't draw appreciative looks.
For some reason the service at the Legazpi is extremely erratic. The servers are attentive but the food comes out sometimes VERY slowly. The pianist arrives at about 8 o'clock and gives a real "Casablanca" atmosphere to the restaurant. Tip him and he can play almost anything. There is dancing room for 2 to 4 couples depending on girth and dancing skill.

The lobby bar (also a place with great atmosphere) is open from 6 to 1 in the morning. Efrian and Jesus are talented charming barmen. We only used the Brisas Club bar once, but it also was elegant with good service from Serge/Sergio.

The beach area is sheltered and has few waves and is excellent for swimming and even snorkeling. Be careful of the 2 foot or less drop off. Though there are many large yachts moored close by it appears very clean. I imagine the Habour Master's office which is in the marina keeps a vigilent eye on things---unlike the beach in front of the Tesoro which bilge water often floats .... My only complaint is the lack of adequate shade. You can get the man at the towels to bring you a "colchon" which are wonderfully comfortable. TIP him. Maybe 20 pesos? There are kayaks, beach volley ball ( if you can make up teams) and table tennis in the beach area.We ate very good small lunches on the beach in the Oasis cafe.

Who do we recommend this hotel to?
NOT for (all-inclusive) families with children, because the time waiting for meals would be awful for kids and the atmosphere of the a la carte restaurants stiflingly boring for them.
The Las Hadas condos or a European Plan would be much better for families.
The 'Angelitos' toddler care area looks like a jail. I wouldn't put a dog in there.
But the beach is great for kids.
NOT for party animals or folk who like loud music.
NOT for people with knee or hip problems. But see my room comment.
If you are traveling alone, check the room first and size up how secure you feel.
Las Hadas is still a lovely hotel for honeymoons, anniversaries, relaxed entertain-yourself get-aways, golfers and essentailly, as it has been written on TA before for those who want a
quiet, classy visit to Mexico away from the over the top all-inclusive atmosphere.

lashadas@brisas.com.mx

I wish this had a spell check!

Room Tip: There are rooms in the building of the area of the Reception which have elevators and easier access...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles