All reviews small pool marina view santa cruz beach club min walk comfortable beds all inclusive package easy access to beach small breakfast buffet small starbucks pool area and restaurant the reception desk staff newer hotel floor facing order off the menu mid november fishing boats
Selected filters
Reviewed April 3, 2019

The good and the bad of this hotel.
Love the way they advertise this hotel as 100% smoke free, that is why I choose it, well that was a lie, they state this, but they do not enforce, they allow anyone to smoke anything anywhere, lodged serval complaints which fell on deaf ears, I would watch sercurtiy walk right by the smokers and say nothing. The worst was the cigar smokers, to the point that I was physically ill from the stench, you could not even use the balcony.
I requested a marina room through sunwing, which sunwing placed the request only to arrive to be given a nosy street view, next to the elevator. The desk told me the marina view was a premium room, and that I had booked only a standard room, according to sunwing this was not the case, the Holiday Inn changes policies at the drop of a hat. I finally did get a partial marina view, but it meant packing and checking out and waiting for our room until dinner time, which a real pain. For a full marina view they wanted an extra $500 pesos a day.
We had booked the all inclusive package,and during our two week stay they changed the menu and were taking off items that the previous week were included, which was totally unfair, why not wait until the end of the sunwing season, which is only a few weeks away. There is no drink menu, or a cocktail of the day, so you need to ask for
speciality drinks, which most of the time they do not know how to make, so basicly it is beer or wine. They ran out of the light beer often, and wine on day and vodka another day, so it is a hit and miss.
The staff is great but totally they are way understaffed. You need to sign for everthing so a lot of times you wait a long time to get your bill to sign off on it.
The pool is small and other guest place towels on lounge chairs first thing in the morning and sometimes they sit empty for hours.
The rooms are nice and large, and in some of the rooms the a/c control does not work as it should, our room was always freezing and could not be adjusted.
Would I come back? Only if they fixed the smoking and did make the place 100% smoke free as stated. Nothing worse than eating dinner with someone blowing smoke onto your dinner plate.
Also you need to provide a beach club, somewhere for your guest to sit at the beach without getting charged high rates for a chair and umbrella.
The food was good, but it was always a surprise on what you might get. Same meal and next day it would be different, guess it depended on the chef that day. The first few days they had three different ice creams Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry, after that they ran out of vanilla, and shortly later ran out of strawberry, so then it was only chocolate.
Most of the guest were either Mexican, Western Canada along with a few from Ontario and USA

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank quest88
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Huatulco, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Hi quest88,

Thank you for staying and sharing your candid comments with us. Our goal is to provide every guest with a great experience at our location. I'm very concerned to see that this did not happen, and I would like to apologize for the the inconvenience, and any discomfort caused by the lingering smell of smoke, and for the dismay towards seeing other people smoking in the hotel. This clearly isn't reflective of the high standards we are known for, and I am truly sorry.

The feedback you have provided gives us the opportunity to continually improve our service and is appreciated. If you do decide to return and grant us another opportunity to host you, which I sincerely hope that you do, please reach out to our manager on duty. We will do our utmost best to make sure that your stay is as smooth and enjoyable as possible.

Best,

Tracy V.

Reviewed April 1, 2019

Room was clean and comfortable. Booked based on price and location. Actually prefer and more Mexican style hotel, but it was the best price in Santa Cruz, which is where I wanted to be this trip. Staff were all friendly and accommodating. Would probably stay again if the price was right.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
HiHuatulco, General Manager at Holiday Inn Huatulco, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear AngelSaskatchewan.

PC

Reviewed March 30, 2019

This was our second stay at Holiday Inn. Same as last time, within 10 mins of arrival were tempted to change hotels. We had requested a marina view room when we booked one month in advance and they gave us a room overlooking the roof of dining area. As this was a 2 week stay we asked again for marina view. We were told that it will be a $500 peso per night upgrade and can't get us one for until 6 days. We spoke to several other couples who were also expecting marina view. Not sure if this is a Sunwing or Hotel screw up.
Next thing the air conditioner only blows cool not cold for 2 hours then you have to reset it. Asked to get it fixed and they came right away, so they touch the thermostat and it works for 2 hours, they think they fixed it. Another hot night so ask to fix again. Different guy comes says made it more cold, fixed it (for another 2 hours). Another hot night so asked for different room, said sorry no rooms all booked up. Offered to talk to manager but he is in meetings. They send up 3 guys with new thermostat. Say fixed it (for another 2 hours). So we stayed here for 2 weeks with like 10% air conditioning.
Food was good ate here most of the time. Saul and Andres were good. Actually most of the workers were good.

Room tip: Get a confirmation number when you book. Without it they can give you any room.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank TRBNNR
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Huatulco, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2019

Hello TRBNNR,

Thank you for your staying with us again and for taking the time to leave us feedback. I am sorry to learn about the reoccurring issues with the room air conditioning system. I have alerted the relevant teams regarding your comments, and I trust that measures taken will avoid similar issues from happening again. As for the room type, I suggest booking the Marina View room types to guarantee the view of the marina.

I hope you give us another try!

Best regards,

Clayton G.

Reviewed March 15, 2019 via mobile

Awesome place, food was great , staff was real good. Nice sitting on the marina, walking distance to everything. Only had to cab once to visit friends. Met some great locals and others from Canada. Great place.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank kdthynes

Dear kdthynes

PC

Reviewed February 27, 2019 via mobile

Food is a 5/10. Rooms are clean and decent 8/10 and service is probably 3/10. Location is good. Right at the marina and short walks to beach and shopping. It's a good "entry level" place. All in all it was mediocre and probably wouldn't stay there again.

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank ringersask
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Huatulco, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2019

Hi ringersask,

Thank you for staying with us in Huatulco and for leaving a review on TripAdvisor.

I am glad that you found our location to be convenient. I also appreciate the high rating that you gave us in terms of the cleanliness level of the room received.

I am sorry that you were let down by our hotel staff. This is not the customer service we wanted for you to experience. I also regret not meeting your expectations when it comes to the food served. Please know that this is not reflective of IHG's high standards.

I have taken note of your comments and we will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for your feedback and for choosing us for your lodging needs.

Ingrid V.