“GREAT BUDGET HOTEL with highs and veiws”

Marina Hotel & Resort
Ranked #41 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
Reviewed February 11, 2010

Having been to Huatulco before we really wanted to stay elsewhere other than the "hotel zone". WE booked the Marina Hotel , Resort would be a little over the top .
We are a family with young kids now and have travelled extensivly in mexico staying at AI 's to Condo"s . I am a firm believer in staying at your comfort zone Vs your wallet when choosing a hotel . Marina Hotel fit the bill perfectly !!! I have to agree with Gringo in Seattle that this Hotel has faded a bit from Its Heyday , but with a little work it would be a SUPER PLACE to stay . I had emailed before to try and get a lower room as we have kids and stuff in tow . FREIDA the great reservation clerk confirmed our request !! We arrived at the end of XMAS vacation and upon arriving , we where put in a room at the HIGHEST elevation 71 steps said the" WIFE" No problem we went down and explained the situation and the next day where in a room lower ,With FANTASTIC Marina veiws !!!
The Hotel was only about 60% full with mostly Mexican Guests , we knew this and enjoy this fact!! The thing with Mexican people is they love the beach and most days we had the Three pools to our selves !! We upgraded to a Jr suite on the lower level facing the Marina . Great room with seperate king bed Flat panel TV and the main room had a small kitchen with a fridge and table and chairs for eating . We had a balcony with chairs and would sit out after the kids where in bed and drink a few beers and take in the veiws . The room included a buffet breakfast for the adults and our daughter we paid 40 pesos . The food was GREAT . I can"t believe for a hotel how good the food was . The staff was over the top from our Maid , bellguy , frontdesk , maintanence guys and food servers . we speak a little spanish and this goes a long way in communication , WAY to many travellers expect ENGLISH and should try and speak the language of the country . WE tipped very well and made sure everybodys efforts were appreciated !!
The hotel Is in SANTACRUZ and is a very busy little place lots to see and do .It offers Great eating places and has a great little beach for kids within walking distance .The Little market next door offered great shopping bargins and I found a store that sold cold corona's for 10 peso's !!!!
The Marina Hotel fit our needs to a tee !!
If you have Kids they offer three pools and two of them are for kids only , we sat around these most times .
The Marina is not without some difficulties !!
Because the hotel is sort of hillside there are lots of stairs , if you have mobility issues !!!
They could Spruce up the rooms a little (VERY CLEAN ) , but some items are showing there age !!!
I want to Thank FREIDA JOHANNA at the front desk , MIGAUL the Bellhop and Yessina and Romy from the resteraunt for making our trip GREAT .

WE would go back to the Marina Great price !! for what you get

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank picaaso

Reviewed February 8, 2010

I'm sorry to have to write this negative report for an otherwise enjoyable stay but I promised myself and the girl at the desk that I would do it and so I shall! You see the problem is that hotels.com and the hotel staff described the room as a SUITE that was appropriate for 5 people and we were stuck in a one-bedroom unit that had an extra bed put in where the sofa used to be when this was as advertised (a long time ago, I think). This is somewhat of a lost-its-former-glory hotel that could really use some honesty and TLC in maintenance. The advertising and billing as a suite for a one-bedroom is in the same category as The booking agent for Pelicanos Tours in front of the hotel, who promises a tour of whatever area you like, "just pay for the launch and tell the guide where you want to go." Then when you come to get on the tour you've paid for and the agent is not around the guide informs you that actually the crocodiles and turtles that you wanted to see after you noticed them on the billboards are a land tour and you are on a boat! Leonardo was a great guide and we heartily enjoyed our drunken tour and dinner on the beach. It's just that I like things to be as presented to me, I don't think that's too much to ask for. Most folks in Huatulco are really nice, just as they are any place else. Some are a little jaded from overcontact with tourists and lie openly. They don't realize how badly they come across and my comments are here to assist them in assessing that. I would gladly come again to Huatulco, just not to Marina Hotel or Pelikanos Tours. The Temazcal Treatment and massage was great and a true bargain. I had to leave a $10 tip. It was just that good. Wi-fi signal in the hotel was so weak it mostly didn't work.The Seattle Gringo

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2010

My parents, who are in their 60's, wanted to spend the New Year by the beach. We settled for Huatulco as we were touring Chiapas and Oaxaca and it was the logical thing to do. We had been to Huatulco several times before, usually at Las Brisas in Tangolunda Bay, but this year we booked so late and through a travel agency and the price at Las Brisas was prohibitive!
So the travel agent recomended Marina Resort, gave us a good price (no breakfast included though) and off we went. I guess not a lot of people drive to Huatulco, but if you do, the hotel provides free parking. The parking lot however is tiny, and sometimes you have to leave your car on the side road, which is full of cars. Also, it is a two way street, so it is not that easy to get in or out. In any case, it is safe to leave the car there, right by the marina.
The location is good, and they advertise a "beach club", which as someone else mentioned, is there physically but not very enticing when you can go to Chahué or other beaches close by.
Some of the staff does not speak English, and while this was not a problem for us, it might be inconvenient. They are very helpful, for example they changed our room because when we arrived we were assigned a room in the 4th floor. My mother has some problems walking, so they gave us room B instead, really close to the hotel lobby. There are no elevators, so it might be a bit inconvenient for people with mobility issues, as you have to go up stairs to get anywhere.
The pools are ok, but there aren't many areas to sit down, so you might want to go there early, to grab one.
We encountered some problems: when we arrived in our room, one of the lights was not working. We reported it, but it took them a while to get it working. The T.V. was not working properly, but if you go to a beach hotel, this is probably not important. We asked for an iron, and it took one day for them to locate one. And then we asked for our beach towels, but they didn't have any, for a day. When we arrived, we also did not have towels in the room, nor toilet paper. We had to ask for both and again, it took a while for them to get them to us.
The restaurant is not that expensive, and the food is your basic hotel fare, nothing too special about it.
But it is a basic hotel, in a good location and at a discount, like we got it, it was ok for the trip.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Moffin
Reviewed November 13, 2009

After reading the other reviews i must disagree. This happen to be on of my best experience ever. And I have stayed at five star hotels before. Yet, due to the economy I could not spend that amount of cash. After staying at the Marina Resort I realized that I wasted a lot of money staying at these Five Star Hotels. The only thing that I did not like is that coursty they had for a type of guest that came and did not want the music too loud. However before they arrived we were catered to like there was no tomorrow. Whatever the other people felt I can reassure you that there was no ant and that they do serve breakfast. You just have to get your ticket in the morning. Oh, and for you eco-friendly people, this hotel is rated very high for that.

Final thought, for the nights I was in my room a LCD tv would have been nice. But I had too much fun.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank giacomo7ccc7
Reviewed November 10, 2009

I have a family member that loves in Huatulco and between my annual visits and those of other family members that frequent the region, I am shocked that we have yet to discover this hotel! It is comparatively much better economically and in comfort than reports that I have had from hotels in the immediate vicinity. It was great to come home daily to the air conditioning, clean room and bathroom with balcony, free wifi, and beautiful clean pools that were hardly used by anyone in the hotel. The inclusive breakfasts and room service were great- excellent food and service. The only drawback is that the hotel is right on the marina and the "view rooms" are of the pool courtyard- though this is totally beautiful. Our family knows the region very, very well and are foodie and hotel snobs. For the region and a four star hotel, we were quite impressed and will refer other family members and friends.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank dcooluris
Reviewed August 6, 2007

Very nice hotel, good price, nice view, nice location, large room, clean. Breakfast was included . Nice and helpful staff
But...
We stayed 5 days, had NO hot water for 4 days, the heater was rotten and dead and had to be replaced (what we were told). It was never replaced and we still got very hot water but only the very last night. !!!
The swimming pools (all 3 of them) could have their filters running longer.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed January 15, 2007

My husband and I recently returned from staying at the Marina Resort Huatulco. While the town is beautiful and has many nice features this hotel is absolutely disgusting. Not worth the $130/night or so expense. The hotel room had ants crawling all over it. I understand that the warm weather might encourage this but we have stayed in other warm weather locations with no sign of bugs in our hotel rooms. The staff rolled our eyes whenever we asked them questions thought they did finally fumigate it with no relief to the pest problem. We tried to get a hotel room elsewhere but the entire town was booked. The hotel breakfast left much to be desired but there was fresh tropical fruits each morning which was nice. While the 5 minute walk to the beach was nice we recommend another hotel.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family