“The Best Part of Our Vacation was Pilo”

Pilo Vazquez - Huatulco Tour Guide
Ranked #2 of 35 Tours in Huatulco
More attraction details
Owner description: Sport Fishing - Snorkeling - Bay Tours I operate tours of the Huatulco area including the 9 bays of Huatulco. My boat has room for groups of up to 10 people. I offer tours lasting from a few hours to all day and will provide refreshments for you as we watch dolphins, sea turtles and even whales. I also offer sport fishing tours, snorkelling and waterfall tours.
Poway
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“The Best Part of Our Vacation was Pilo”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

In June a group of 6 of us went to Huatulco for the first time. We stayed at an incredible all inclusive resort and booked a day out on the boat with Pilo before we left and we all agreed it was the best part of our entire trip.

Wow, what an experience! Pilo had us picked up from our hotel with a great driver, which he took care of in the cost so we didn't have to worry about any payment. When we met Pilo at the dock, he was extremely friendly and led us to the boat with his nephew. On the boat he had water, sodas and beers as well as life vests as needed (bring towels if you think you might want them to dry off). From there he took us on an unforgettable journey where he basically made himself available to whatever we wanted to do for the entire day.

He told us all about the area as we started out by fishing. Pilo baited and casted out the lines and he let each of us reel them in. Within the first 30 minutes, we had each caught at least 1 dorado! Pilo was such a professional, ensuring that we had the best memories possible, unhooking each fish and holding it us for us to take a picture with after each catch.

As we drove out, we saw dozens of dolphins and he made sure to point out each one. We even drove by a huge sea turtle and instead of just driving by and taking pictures from the boat, he stopped the boat and pulled it in with us!!!! He then safely handled it so that we could all take a picture with it before gently putting it back in the water. What an experience!

He then took us to each of the 9 bays where he led us on a snorkel tour. He knew the best spots and because he is an incredible diver, he would find puffer fish (non poisonous) for us to hold and take pictures with in the water. Don't worry if you don't have an underwater camera, he brings one with him so you don't miss a thing!

Finally, he took us to one of the bays that has restaurants where we were able to have one of our fish cooked on the beach and served to us with rice and tortillas. He was extremely transparent with us and made sure to tell us the price they would charge to have the fish cooked and reminded us to check the menu first to know exactly what we are paying before ordering anything else. The meal was incredible and without surprises.

We agreed on a very fair price before we left and there were no surprises when we paid at the end of the day. I talked to more than 3 couples who booked similar boat rides through our hotel and they all paid more and experienced way less! Most of them simply watching the boat driver reel in the fish and no one got to hold a puffer fish. I promise you everyone was very jealous of our trip with Pilo and were wishing they did the same.

I can't say enough about Pilo. We were a mixed group with adventure, luxury, laid back and hard to please travelers and he managed to give us all an experience of a lifetime. We can't thank Pilo enough for such an incredible day.

**Tip: Buy some dramamine at the pharmacy in town ahead of time. They will sell you individual pills and it will help you to enjoy the entire day without worry.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank sdfishee

California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fun in Huatulco”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Wanted to let anyone know that is considering a snorkel and fishing tour Pilo Vasquez and his nephew do an awesome job. The day my husband and I went out we had a great time. I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to the ocean but I felt very safe snorkeling with Pilo and my hubs. Pilo dove down and got a puffer fish and strarfish for my hubs and I to hold and took underwater pics which I just received today. We went out pretty far in the ocean and my husband caught 2 mahi Mahis also known as dorados. Pilo took us to a little beach where they cooked our fish for us and it was great as well as the margaritas we had with it. Thanks for the great excursion Pilo I would definitely recommend your tour.

Visited June 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“AWSOME”
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

me and my girl went with pilo in early may and it was soooo awsome. was sceptical hiring somone on the beach last year we went with the hotel but didnt catch much this year we did everything LOCAL best thing we ever did! pilo was great ery helpfull boat an fishing gear was in great shape! we seen turtles puffer fish stingray an he helped me catch the big one!! caught a 60-70 pound sailfish AMazing!! one of the highlights of our trip me and my fiance also caught so mahi mahi great time great expereince gO with pilo!!!:)

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Simon R
Victoria, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A great day with Pilo”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

I have a neuromuscular disease and since its onset I have not been able to snorkel, something I used to love to do when we went on holidays. I’ve wanted, for a while, to try again but have been hesitant. We decided to give it a try when we stopped in Huatulco, April, 2014 but realized that going in a large group situation would not work out very well so after a bit of research we decided to try and give Pilo a try.
I was not disappointed, Pilo was great!!!
I was a bit hesitant having never met him and only dealing via email but the trip turned out to be better than expected. He met us at the end of the dock, where and when he said he would. It turned out just to be my wife and I as the other couple had become ill. Pilo led us to the nearby dock where we waited about 10 minutes while he pulled up his boat. He helped me move my mobility scooter into the boat and away we went. First stop was a bay a few minutes away where we rented some snorkel gear. After that we headed out to the furthest of the 9 bays. On the way he heard over the radio that there was a school of dolphins out a ways. He asked if we wanted to see them and then off we went. On the way we saw many rays leaping out of the water, passed by a number of turtles and caught two fish (catch and release was a nice touch). We found the dolphins and after watching them leap and spy and check us out we headed back to the last bay. Once we got there, Pilo instructed my wife and I and then helped us both into the water. He then joined us and led us under the rope and into the snorkeling area. The first thing he did was spy a puffer fish, which he swam down, picked up and brought to us for a photo op and then release. I found I did not have the strength to swim the distance required and was having a bit of difficulty with my mask and snorkel so decided to return to the boat. Pilo accompanied me and, after seeing me safely into the boat, headed back to snorkel some more with my wife. He pointed out quite a number of fish to her and brought up two more puffer fish. After they returned we headed back, checking out each of the remaining 8 bays in turn. We were amazed by the beautiful pristine condition of each of them. We stopped right near a blow hole and listened and watched as the tidal action did its magic. We then went back to the first bay and Pilo had an idea. We rented a modified boogie board and I held onto it while Pilo swam with it, thus pulling me along to the shallower area of the bay. Here the snorkeling was fantastic. Both my wife and I loved it. We tried to go into the nearby underwater cave but as it was high tide and it was quite crowded we didn’t make it all the way in; partially due to my sudden feeling of claustrophobia combined with the bangs on my head when I didn’t follow the tidal action and duck quickly enough. He got us back to the dock in plenty of time.
All in all a great day. I would not hesitate to recommend Pilo to anyone. He goes above and beyond the 'job' and truly does give value of your money.
And a surprise at the end; Pilo had taken some photos while we were snorkeling and he emailed them to us; a great memento! Thanks, Pilo. You're awesome!!!

Visited April 2014
4 Thank Rufus405
San Antonio, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great fishing trip with Pilo”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We went deep sea fishing with Pilo on May 8th. He picked us up on time at our hotel in his personal truck and drove us to the marina. We had good luck early catching black fin tuna and a nice sized mahi-mahi. Pilo found a large school of dolphins we rode along side with for a while, which was a great experience.

After we finished our trip, Pilo filleted our mahi mahi and arranged for a local restaurant to prepare the fish in a couple of different ways. He even negotiated the price for us. Overall, it was a great trip and we enjoyed Pilo and his first mate Tito. Highly recommended.

Visited May 2014