“Loved our time at Las Brisas”

Las Brisas Huatulco
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Huatulco
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Loved our time at Las Brisas”
Reviewed January 3, 2009

We just returned from a great 2 week stay at Las Brisas. We flew in on the 12th Dec and left on the 26th. The first week was incredible – the occupancy was really low and it was like having a resort to ourselves. The second week it filled up a lot more and we found ourselves heading to the beach before breaky to find a spot.
Huatulco really blew me away. It is truly stunning! The town of La Crucecita was so much fun to explore – so easy going and hassle free. With luck it will remain the peaceful area that it is now for a long time to come.

Las Brisas is a great resort. I would certainly stay here again. We had three rooms for our group – 2 deluxe and one jr suite. All three were in the Estrella’s section (the deluxe were in the Vega building and the suite was in the Mirach building). The views were great from all three – best from the junior suite as it was high up and overlooked the whole of the bay. The other two had peek-a-boo water views and overlooked the botanical gardens. The rooms were all very large and really clean. The A\C and the ceiling fan worked great. The bed in my room was very comfortable.

We liked the food at the resort and really enjoyed the Buffet – it was varied and tasty. The made to order quesadilla’s and fajitas were a favorite. The Mexican restaurant was very good and had a wonderful atmosphere, but the Solarium didn’t win us over. The steaks were not great (but I didn’t expect AAA Angus…), the fish & shrimp kebabs were fabulous the first visit but overcooked the second. My parents ate at the Kasbah and had great lamb. None of the a la carte’s were really great for the kids. Breakfast and lunch we spent at the open air snack bar by the pool. Late afternoon we’d hit the lunch buffet for great ice cream to enjoy on our way back up to the room.
Christmas Eve was a large outdoor buffet – great fun… 97 tables out on the lawn with entertainment and dancing. Santa and his super friends showed up with big bags of candy for all the kids. Take bug spray if you’ll be sitting on the lawns at night! This was the only night we found ourselves being bitten.

The beaches are amazing – we spent a lot of time at the snorkel beach…saw tons of fish, eels, rays, urchins, etc.
Sports beach had the longest sun so we’d often gravitate there later in the afternoon.
The pool was good too… but we found the music a bit loud at times.
The 5 yr old with us had a ball bug hunting and we came home with pictures of scorpions, bats, baby tarantulas and lizards. We did, incidentally, find a small scorpion in our bathroom at 4am – be sure to turn on the light if you get up to “go”!! The big “Mexico” tourism book in the room was very handy for dealing with the rogue visitor!

We spent three days at Bocana beach body surfing, mud bathing and eating great seafood – awesome beach. The guys had fun fly fishing into the surf. $10 cab ride each way and the drivers were happy to arrange a time for pick up later in the day. Not too many cabs waiting there (some days there were none) so be sure arrange to the pick up.

This resort matched our group perfectly. It is a really beautiful area and a great hotel. Lots of stairs, but easy to navigate once you become accustomed to the lay out of the property.
Huatulco (and Las Brisas) is my new favorite Mexican vacation and I can’t wait to go back!

• Liked — size of resort, beaches, large rooms, great views, location
  • Disliked — nothing - I thought it was all great!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank snowgirls

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Toronto
Reviewed January 1, 2009

My partner and I just returned from Las Brisas where we stayed for one week with another couple over Christmas. We all throughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were friendly, courteous and helpful.

We found the food to be of high quality and had a great variety of items at the buffet. The a la carte restaurants, Solarium and Mexicano were excellent. Service was always friendly and expedient. The bar staff were also excellent.

Our rooms, junior deluxe suite, were spacious, well lit and really clean. We had a room with a balcony that overlooked a treed area. If you enjoy birds/bird watching, this was an excellent location. We stayed in Mountains, room 1331 - any room on the top floor would have a great view of the treed area and the bay.

We are both squash players. This resort has squash courts (3) and tennis courts (12) that were always available. You can also take out kayaks or sailboats. There are beach volleyball games everyday and there is an activity pool that has basketball hoops at its ends. We found that there was always some sporting options available, a bonus for us.

There are many daytrips that can be organized at the hotel. We took a snorkelling day trip to 3 bays. If you like snorkelling, I would recommend this trip, but I would also recommend taking a repellent for jellyfish larvae. Several of us on the trip were "stung" by the jellyfish and their larvae. This can leave a itchy rash. The larvae are commonly called "sea lice". I have sinced learned that there is a product available that acts like a repellent and has sunscreen in it. This would have helped us. We were not bothered by the jellyfish in the bay of the hotel.

We had an incredibly relaxing trip and would be confident in recommending this hotel to others - infact, we plan to go back next year!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Matildah
San Diego, CA
Reviewed December 31, 2008

My husband and I just returned from 10 days in Huatulco and had a wonderful time. We stayed at Las Brisas and altho it is a large property they were very organized and the shuttles they provide are always available and fun to ride.There is alot of walking at this hotel so if that is a problem then i do not recommend it. Our room was very clean and spacious with a beautiful view. We were in the Bering building which is far from the lobby but we liked it out there and had a great view from our room. We had a little problem with the tour people at the hotel (Apple) when we signed up for the Bay tour. They said one thing and when we got to the marina and it was something else and we turned it down. We booked thru another group. The small boats are the best. They will go where you tell them and stop for as long as you want. The town of Crusesita (sp) is lovely and we found two very nice restaurants: Krystal Rose and Onix. The people are so friendly and eager to help. We have been to quite a few locations in Mexico and this is very close to the top.

4 Thank SallySanDiego_CA
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2008

I hate, hate, hate being home......

We spent two glorious weeks at Las Brisas in Huatulco....perfect weather, perfect resort, perfect paradise......everything was wonderful from start to finish.

We love las Brisas for what it is...a huge resort with tons of wildlife, greenery, and walking paths--yes, we LOVE the stairs! When you are walking on the paths you can swear that you are at your own private resort....no one around but the birds and other critters.

All the beaches are wonderful, with our personal favourite being the sports beach as we both just love to kayak and swim. Not much of a problem getting chairs as we didn't hang out at the hotel til after our days adventure.

Every day hubby and I would venture out, walking, to various locations. We walked to La Crucecita, Santa Cruz, Playa Arena, Playa Conejos, Bocana Beach ( do not do this unless you are used to walking in the heat and are fit.....it took us two hours), and other unknown beaches. We loved our adventures and always felt very safe. WE just love what we see when we are out walking......

The hotel restaurants were quite nice, our fav being the Kasbah...I had the chicken and it was very nice. Hubby the seafood and he was in love. WE didn't like the Solarium...the Mexican beef is much different than what we are used to. The Mexican restaurant was nice also....I was a little disappointed when I ordered the chocolate smoothie for dessert, expecting a milkshake and getting a lump of brownie which I could not eat (gluten intolerant)...lol. The buffet was just fine and I always was satisfied...and I loved my cappicinno with dessert every night.

The reason I gave this a four star rating was because of the rooms...they were clean, the beds were great, new pillows...but the rooms need updating and some paint. They are clean and perfectly acceptable with lovely views though.

Hubby was sick when we left Vancouver and got worse as the days went by. I finally insisted he see a doctor and our Signature rep was wonderful....saw the doc twenty mins after we inquired and had perscriptions delivered to the hotel --this only took less than an hour out of our day.

We found our new favourite beach, Playa Arena, and spent a lovely Christmas eve day there....first with no one else around and by the time we left there may have been five other families there....so incredibly peaceful. Crystal clear waters only added to the experience.

We did no tours this year (did that last year) but we did go out with Hurricane divers again and I HIGHLY recommend them. We saw sea turtles, flying rays, dolphins and much more. What a fabulous day, great people, wonderful food, secluded beach...what else could you ask for?

All in all we were once again thrilled with our holiday in Huatulco and our stay at Las Brisas.

• Liked — The sfaff, the weather, the location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank itchyandscratchy50
edmonton
Reviewed December 28, 2008

We stayed at Las Brisas last week Nov and first week Dec. First I will will tell you we are Pacific coast travellers, based on the commercialism on the west coast of Mexico. (Just scared to go based on what we hear). We met many people on this vacation that have travelled both sides of Mexico and would never go back to Cancun or the Mayan Riviera.

Huatulco was amazing..........from flying into the tiny little airport with only palapas roofs to the hotel and the town La Cusesita.
If you want to experience Mexico without Walmarts, McDonalds and all the american chains this is the place to go.

The airport trip was only about 1/2 hour and it was just mountians and jungle for the majority of the trip. Once you come to the hotel it is a narrow little road to the resort. I think our tour bus actually had to back up as another vehicle was coming out of the resort.

Once you get the the resort, yes you are in the mountains and it is very hilly , but had shuttles going all the time so anyone with restricited mobility would still be fine.

But anyone who complains about the stairs every review talks about them........so go somewhere else!!

We did two tours, the 7 bay tour which was very good and the coffee plantation tour (booked thru air transat, each travel co has their own tour..........it was probably the best tour we have been on) It was very a very personal tour.

The food was good, we had no complaints at all. It is your basic mexican food. The a la cartes were all good. The solarium was probably our least favorite just based on the beef.......but people we are in Mexico, did you ever look at their cows!!

We found the resort very clean, very laid back and never had a issue with service in the whole two weeks we were there.

La Crusietia was the main town and amazing....don't go into town until about 5 every day because it seems to come to life then. A lot of stores don't even open until then. The Super Che is the place to by your duty free and there is no duty free at the airport. It is like a mini Walmart..lol. A cab from the resort to town is 30 pesos and there was never any bartering about cap fare.

We ate at a few restaurants in town, the Tipsy Blowfish is worth going for a cool cervesa but unless you want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white bread, not really a place to eat.

We ate at La Crema for pizza is was good, cooked over wood fire and also Riggelletos, which was amazing (about 3 blocks off the square). Italian and very good.

We did spend a day at a surfing beach La Bocona which was a 100 peso drive fromthe hotel and had a english speaking cab driver (which you can request) it was worth going to, it has mud baths. The beach was amazing as all the beaches in this area, and hot.............OMG!! I thought I was in paradise for the whole two weeks....even the beds were not too hard.

We have been to Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Riacon De Guabitos, and Manzanillo and if I had a choice would go no where but Huatulco..(Please don't tell anyone, we want to keep it exactly as it is). It is 85% national forest and I think the locals want to keep it that way.

If you have any questions feel free to email us....It was amazing!!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
8 Thank cherlea
Toronto
Reviewed December 26, 2008

I just got back from Las Brisas about three hours ago. I desperately don't want to be home, and want to go back. Preferably now. I'll try and be as factual as possible, to give you a good idea of what both the resort and the area is like. I apologize if I get too excited - thinking of my holiday has that effect on me!

First off, I read the tripadvisor reviews before I went, and some scared me. In addition, the Signature vacation brochure pics do no justice to this resort. It is an amazing property, but is also HUGE. This is certainly not a resort for people who don't like walking, sometimes up hills. Having said this, if you intend on having a gym-free stay, this is considered exercise and ensures the high- calorie desserts won't stick to the wrong places. Shuttles are available whenever you want, and go all over the resort. It takes about a 5 minute shuttle ride to get from one end to the other. There are four 'villages' as they call them: Montanas (mountains), Estrellas (stars), Nubes (clouds, although there were NONE during our stay) and Mar (sea). I gathered that Mar is the area with the Brisas Beach Club, but I must also note that it is the FURTHEST from everything and up a steep hill. I stayed in Nubes and it was fantastic - the views were excellent, and looked either into the Secret Beach or the Pacific. Estrellas and Montanas are the closest villages to the reception area, for the record.

Don't go to Mexico for the food. You will be disappointed. I expected very little and was actually pleasantly surprised - in addition, I didn't get sick - STAY AWAY from anything creamy, salads, or anything that looks like it's been out for a while and you'll be fine. Still, don't forget thinks like Immodium and Pepto, because even if YOU don't need it, it's always nice to help your fellow man....or woman...:)

There are three a la carte restaurants - I like the solarium the best. The mexican one was ok, but I'm not a huge fan of mexican food anyway. La Kasbah (Moroccan) was very good, but beware many dishes there have nuts in them and all the seats and tables are only inches from the ground - not good if you have back problems!

There are three main beaches to choose from on the property, and theres a secret beach (although its rock) - I mostly stuck to the Reef Beach, because you can snorkel right there (there are also tons of other watersports, jetskis etc.) and its usually less crowded. Get up by 8am if you want beach chairs with an umbrella - save them with your towel. There are bars at/near each beach - I stayed away from ice at first, but had it the last two days. I was fine. Having said that, I'm still unclear as to where their 'agua natural' comes from. When I asked, he said its from the mountains. That is open to interpretation I guess!

Although I didn't go, the tours (particularly those through Signature or other tour operators) are fantastic. There is one called 7 bays or something like that, and you frequently see dolphins and whales etc.
Rooms were good. Who spends much time in a room anyway. The beds were comfortable, the shower worked and the view was incredible. I also had a visit from a gecko. He was cute, and I was grateful it wasn't an iguana - interesting creatures, and they are ALL OVER the property.

The staff are amazing and work incredible hard, likely getting paid a fraction of our salaries in North America. Small change is great for tips. I stayed for Christmas and the gala dinner on Christmas Eve was quite the production, although I felt guilty that the staff were there from 8am-4am preparing for it, and couldn't be with their families. Still, all the staff were incredibly nice, and although I speak spanish, comprehension in English usually isn't a problem. Most guests are from North America, PARTICULARLY Canada. I only met two Americans the whole week. The weather was amazing. It was around 30 degrees every day, 24 at night, and not once did a cloud cover the sun.

I was originally worried about security in Huatulco before I went. It honestly was not a problem. I went into the nearby town, La Crucecita, and both the locals and the taxi drivers were very friendly. Remember that the resort is completely gated, so its very safe (just not from Iguanas, but all they do is suntan anyway).
I will 100% be returning to Las Brisas. I had the time of my life.

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — NOTHING!!! I loved it all
  • Stayed December 2008
6 Thank BahamaMama13
calgary
Reviewed December 1, 2008

We just got back this week from Las Brias, and I have been to resorts all over mexico, and this was my worst experience so far. Maybe because I have high expecations. There were certain elements which were good, like the staff and service. The facility is very old and not updated. The gym was bad, with almost no working machines or even free weights. So if you are an active person, dont go here. Unless you like climbing the many stairs to walk up and down at the resort. And the rooms are very far away, so you have to shuttle up and down from your room.Out of the 6 of us, 3 of us became ill during our stay.One so ill that we had to call a doctor from town
I like eating healthy, and there were a few salads, however all the meats were sloppy and stewy. Most dishes at the buffet were fried and processed. Also the rooms looked old. Old clunky tvs, no key cards for the room, only huge keys. Also the check in process was awful for us. There is a tiny road that leads into the resort, and whoever the idiot was who designed the place, only allowed one bus in a a time. So in busy times, there are waits of 3 or 4 other busses trying to get in. You will end up waiting in a hot bus for 45 min. Then once you are off the bus, more Line ups, and long waits to even check in. Then a cold cranky front desk person, who just gave us our keys, and without explanation or directions, we were sent away clueless as to where to go next. Not personal or welcoming at all. I felt like cattle.

Any if you drink enough you might not notice these bad things. The booze is free, so that helped numb the headache, stomach ache and made me feel like I was getting something of value.

Oh and the photos you see on their website are completely photoshopped and staged. Not as nice!

• Liked — the booze and the view
  • Disliked — check in, lack of service and average food
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple