“enjoyed our stay”

Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
Pocatello, Idaho
“enjoyed our stay”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We had an enjoyable week at Las Brisas Huatulco. Our stay was in mid-june of 2014 - this was considered low season, which brings with it both good and not as good qualities (I'll explain.)

Why choose Las Brisas? - You stay here for great swimmable beaches, with snorkel from shore opportunities; good food, particularly in the buffet; lovely landscaping; decent basic accommodations. We had a good experience with most of the staff as well, though service is not intended to be refined in the way that it is at an ultra high-end property.

Brisas is "generally" an AI property - I could not imagine staying here off the all-inclusive program, which is technically an option; I saw almost no-one who wasn't wearing a bracelet. The AI option is cheap, and if you are not on it, the a la carte prices otherwise for food and drink on resort are really quite expensive given where you are (about 200 pesos for breakfast buffet. 260 for dinner buffet. Up to 300+ pesos for dishes in dinner a la cartes). Now the AI here is not quite as extensive as other resorts. One of the things that I did not like about the resort was the legalistic nature of their inclusive program: In your room minibar you will get 3 beers. No more. But they are half-sized coronitas so that is pretty lame. Also three sodas, one of which shall be diet, and the other of which shall not be a cola. Stuff like that. I have never been to an AI where more than half of the bar is roped off as an extra charge area - common liquors that are included at every AI I have ever been to cost extra here. However, they had Centenario tequila on program - which I like. The beer is Modelo Especial / Negra Modelo. I always had something decent to drink. Cabs are cheap - so we ate in town a couple of times. You can afford to do that when you stay AI at Las Brisas. I recommend Tlayudas Arely by the way.

The hotel is laid out as described in many previous reviews - with the rooms (in 4 Pueblos) at the top of the hills, and the services and restaurants down closer to the beach and pool areas. The staircases are legendary (as described) and there are many shuttle carts that run constantly from various points. We were in Estrellas, in the middle at the top, and found that among the three main pueblos there was not a lot of difference in walkability / convenience. People say Mountains is a little closer, but at the end of the day it isn't really all that much in practical reality. The walk downhill to breakfast / beach etc. is easy, but the walk back up requires some energy. Now the 4th section - Mar - is on the other side of a hill and definitely feels farther to everything. The upgraded rooms are over there - more on that in a bit. The cart drivers are friendly and prompt. Most people do not tip them, otherwise you would go broke you need to use them so much, though on occasion I did because I had the same guy a lot of the time. Also when they help with your bags, etc. In fact, there were not many Americans around the week that we were there - I hardly saw anybody leave a tip at all - at the bar, at meals, etc. Locals and Europeans tend to tip a lot less than Americans / Canadians. However - tip as appropriate and you will make someone happy.

The landscaping is fantastic. There is a nursery onsite up by the Estrellas Pueblo. Also a small botanical garden area, though the whole place is a botanical garden. Good birding opportunities - in addition to grackles (not as many here as on the Mayan Riviera), you will see ever-present Great Kiskidee, Altamira Oriole, and more Chachalacas than Ive ever seen - especially on the lawn around secret beach. Views are great - our room looked out over the back bay - Arrocito area.

The food was better than I would have expected in the buffet especially. You won't find gratuitous "chicken mcnugget" stations here - the food is Mexican and fresh. Think fresh grilled tortillas with quesillo and nopales. Yum. The buffet space is functional rather than beautiful, but the food is good. I was less pleased with the a la carte experience, due specifically to the "low-season" issue. In fact, the season was so "low" that the main buffet was closed for dinner for 4 nights in a row. This means that two a la cartes (Mexican and one rotating) became the default restaurants for dinner for all patrons - service was haphazard by committee, and was much more akin to a buffet experience. Add to the fact that there was a problem in the Moroccan restaurant so they were serving that menu in the bar-area snack bar. Food was ok - but the overall experience was lacking. When I go to an a la carte I like to have an vibe that is different at the end of the day - that is the fun of trying different restaurants on-resort. Also, there is supposed to be a snack bar (same one as the bar area) during the day open from noon "until" - but they didn't put out any food, and served only an a la carte menu which they were charging for. (AI guests get 50 percent off. umm no thanks) I am guessing that when the resort is fired up for more visitors that this improves a bit. But those were my mostly minor frustrations with the resort.

One of the good things about low season was having a beach or a pool almost all to myself. No towel game here! But one of the drags was the sporadic nature of closures. We wanted to take out a sailboat (I mean we paid for this privilege) - oh but the jet ski guy who keeps the liability of the situation in check didn't show up to work today, because there's just not enough business - and we don't really know when he's coming in, so you can't take out a sailboat even though the water is calm. That is super-lame, and supports a kind of stereotype that people work hard to dispel.

Rooms are as described other reviews - large enough, mostly basic, clean - bathroom areas are upgraded. A/C and plumbing etc all works fine. Suited our needs fine. Great views. When we checked out we had a problem with our flight so the airline sent us right back to Brisas for one more night - thats when they put us in an upgraded Mar room - the room was similar, though more aesthetically detailed, a little bit nicer, and had a balcony. Big problem was no working a/c in that room! Had it been more than one night on somebody else's dime I would have needed to move - you just cannot sleep there in June without a/c.

Well just to be clear I do recommend Las Brisas - highly in fact - but know what you are getting. Do not expect Secrets Maroma or Iberostar Grand! This is a great place for experiencing the beauty of Tangolunda Bay, in a cab-accessible (cheap) area close to town, with all your basic needs covered at a reasonable price point. The food is good - the people are friendly, there is plenty to drink. And the beach is what it's all about.

Room Tip: Central location of Estrellas was pretty good - In practical terms not much of a difference among th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
17 Thank SEIdahoThomas
SalesHuatulco, Guest Services at Las Brisas Huatulco, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Bahías de Huatulco, Oaxaca-México.
Thank you for taking the time and the effort to write about your recent stay at our Resort.
We really hope we could have the opportunity to have you as many times as you wish!
We are highly grateful for your review, and it´s a pleasure for us to hear that your family vacation turned out as you expected and enjoyed everything during your stay.
We are really sorry for those small inconveniences that you had during your stay but we already sent all the information to the respective manager in order for them to review on those again.
We hope to have you back in a near future.
Guest services.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed June 23, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel this June, and previously at 2011 (see review). This hotel have a lot of pros and cons:

Pros: Beautiful nature both flora and fauna to see and smell, amazing walking roads in the property although they are up and down hill most of them to go everywhere in the hotel (good if you are an exercise lover hahaha). We get an room at "Las Estrellas" town, old but well maintained and recently refurbished (nice touch), nice sea view partially obstucted by nature. Nice quiet, clean, well maintained beach name "tornillo" the hotel have four of them (not all of them are good I explain later). The hotel in general (outer looks, common areas, vegetation, roads) seems well maintained and nice to look. I have to make a special mention to three people for their outstanding customer service that we experience during our stay the first is RICARDO at the buffet breakfast "Restaurant Bellavista", a student that was making his collage practice, second and third are FERNANDO AND MISAEL at the pool towel stand and sweeping general areas (both older people but with kindness an energy to serve others).

Cons: The general attitude and customer service of their general staff (front desk, bell boys, house keeper, car drivers, waiters and waitresses, omellete and hotcakes stands) is mediocre, they seem angry, inattentive, and seems they were trained to serve people masses and not individuals. The hole time of our stay the air conditioning didn´t work well, we have to use the celling fan in adition to AC to cool the room. I know is the price to live with nature surroundings but we had in our room: geckos (we name our gecko "Tony"), spiders and huge ants. The "Manzanilla" beach is dirty and not so well kept (palapas were shaby and a wasp nest in it). The our breakfast buffet food was mediocre, taste old and pasty, we have to had only omelletes, fruit and bread all the time. Again I know this isn´t the hotel fault, but O MY GOD the heat in the hotel, 6 out of 8 days we were staying there wasn´t a single breeze, I was sweating all day long even at night.

In conclusion it is a nice property but they have to improve a lot o things, starting with your staff. I´ll think about it next time to return to this hotel and the same to recommed it to my family, friends and clients. You can do better LAS BRISAS HUATULCO.

Room Tip: Ask a room in an Upper floor and in "Mar" or "Nubes" towns, they seem nicer.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Leon G
Bahías de Huatulco, Oaxaca-México.
Thanks for sharing your family's experience. We appreciate the feedback and we are happy you enjoyed the property, romos, and the beaches, we appreciate your words for our staff.
We take care about all the points and observations you made and thanks again for the positive feedback.
We will be looking forward to your return.
Guest Services.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Las Brisas did an excellent job for a week long meeting for a Canadian company of 25 people. The management and staff were exceptional. The rooms were comfortable and spacious. One improvement is to coordinate dinners for large groups better. There was a long wait at the restaurants and the amount served was not sufficient. Otherwise, the resort is excellent for large groups.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Bahías de Huatulco, Oaxaca-México
Thank you so very much for such grandiose words.
Your comments open your heart to us as they speak of a positive, easygoing person who chose our resort to enjoy and totally did.
We will be honored by a return visit sometime in the near future.
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Very well located and very good prices. The problem is the all dreaded mix of all inclusive and not all inclusive. Every time I ordered something, the question was "would you like to pay in cash???" really annoying. But overall a good stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Tony E
Bahías de Huatulco, Oaxaca-México.
Thank you for your comments and observations. Please consider we are working on it.

Guest Services.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

This trip was 1 week and I had such a good time ( so did the teenagers and adults). This resort was on a cliff which meant you could walk or take a shuttle to wherever you wanted... The teenagers didn't want to go home ... They loved the staff ... The beach was beautiful ... Mountains in the background ( haven't seen that very often) I would go back ... My family loved it... Lots of restaurants to choose from... Small towns close by ... Taxi cost 4 dollars one way ... Never been this far south in Mexico , would go back in a minute...
Quality was great for the price :)

• Stayed March 2014
8 Thank alison737
Bahías de Huatulco, Oaxaca-México.
We would like to thank you for having chose Las Brisas Huatulco for your family vacation.
It is great to read your family enjoyed the beaches and restaurants.
We would love to have you back home!
Canada
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Enjoy a 1 week stay at Las Brisas...a very large resort but we enjoyed it! There are 3 beach areas and great drink service on the beach each day. The water was warm and calm for swimming as the temperatures were hot.
The food was average as we have been to 10 All inclusives and had better food. The service from the staff was excellent. The nightly entertainment was just ok. We met lots of friendly Canadians and socialized with them during the day at the beach and sometimes in the evening.
Went on a half day snorkel trip, excellent, what a great area with all the bays. Did the City tour and ate grasshoppers! The tours were very reasonably priced.
The rooms were basic but large and clean and the mini fridge stocked every day and the coffee was good. We had a great view from our room looking out at the ocean.
This was a last minute deal and for the price we paid from Vancouver it was a great value. We would love to return to Huatulco again but may try another resort or private condo.
If you go take lots of sunscreen! Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TLTravel
SalesHuatulco, Guest Service at Las Brisas Huatulco, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
June 30, 2014

Las Brisas Huatulco gives you thanks for being allowed to write this significant comment, Family Brisas is rewarding to make our knowledge had a pleasant stay, I enjoy each of the attractions Huatulco has to check what we is an honor to know that you have a memorable experience rather than tell.

Wishing soon provides us with his presence in this home Las Brisas Huatulco.

We send you a cordial greeting.
Guest service.
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This hotel is somewhat different but unique in its own way!!
This is not a fancy 5 star with all the glitz. You are not paying for that so don't expect it!!
The whole resort is full of hills so if that bothers you - you might want to stay away. That being said , there are shuttles that will pick you up and take you to where you want to be! The front desk staff play the common games that you hear about at a lot of resorts. If you can get one of them on a good day, then things might work for you. Be persistent - NOT demanding!!! The wait staff are very friendly but I did not always get great service.I think part of this is due to being understaffed during peak mealtime rushes. The food was pretty decent and I could always find something good to eat. The odd time some of the smorg dishes were cold and sometimes line ups were huge! Don't worry this can happen in any city and any smorg.My only small complain is that the air conditioners had 2 controls and the maid didn't even know how to set it I just didn't let the flaws bother me and had a great time! If you go with the right attitude you will enjoy! The watersports staff were excellent and very helpful! As far as the entertainment - some was the usual high school song and dance but they did have a Mexican fair, Casino night, brought in different acts and had a Karoke night . Elvis was there !!!!! LOL
There was always a lounge band nightly.
They were so nice to even bring in a big screen and open the bar so the Canadians could watch the mens olympic hockey in the early morning hours!!!!!

I would go back!!

Room Tip: We were in clouds and could see the sun rise and sun set!! 3rd floor!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Boomer82
June 30, 2014

We appreciate the time you took to realize ourselves this detailed review, we are rewarding our knowledge to make your vacation experience, sorry you had some problems with our service, we will consider each of your comments.

We will be looking forward to seeing you soon again at home this Las Brisas Huatulco.

Best regards