“More cons than pros”

Las Brisas Huatulco
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Huatulco
Reviewed January 24, 2014

This was our first time to Huatulco, but my 7th time doing an all inclusive in Mexico. We stayed Jan 15-22 2014.

You really need to weigh out what's important to you. The only reason I would ever go back to this hotel is for the awesome beaches.

Pros
*amazing beaches. You can do some great snorkeling right at the resort.
*big beach towels
*the view can be great from your room depending on which room you get.
*fairly good drinks

Cons
* I've been to 3 star hotels with better food.
*The atmosphere of the main buffet was disapointing. If felt like a cafeteria.
*lousy service- (of course not everyone. There were definitely a few amazing staff, but overall they seem unenthusiastic). They were also short staffed. Often they would run out of coffee in the morning, or bowls, spoons, cream. At the a la cartes it was like pulling teeth to get a refill on my wine. I'm normally not hard to please but it was frustrating. My husband and I are very nice and would tip.
* As a younger couple, there was no night life for us.

Other things worth mentioning:
Yes, lots of stairs
I overheard a number of people on my flight that were really dissapointed with Las Brisas. One of the couples had sewage back-up in their shower. The service was definitely lower than any place of been. Everyone seemed to notice it. I'm actually surprised it's not mentioned more.

Definitely would return to huatulco, but not this resort.

Room Tip: Estrellas section. Higher up.
3  Thank Katie O
Write a ReviewReviews (4,586)

Reviewed January 24, 2014

The hotel is older, but we loved it and the location! Amazing beaches, warm clear water that you can snorkel in right off the beach. Our hotel room was large, clean, large bathroom/shower, and over looked the bay...absolutely beautiful!! Breakfast at the outdoor restaurant was fantastic, and we did this every morning. The rest of the food on the resort we did not like - but eating in town (Crucecita) was inexpensive and lots of delicious options and a very short cab ride!

Weather is hot and dry, just the way we like it. This is authentic Mexico, no Pizza Hut or McDonalds here!! People are lovely, area is gorgeous and we can't wait to go back. If you are looking for 5 star luxury and food, this may not be the hotel for you - we loved it because of location, beaches, excellent rooms.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sunforme
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Spent a week at Las Brisas in January. It was a short ride from the airport. We arrived at night so there wasn't a chance to see anything but we left in the day and there really isn't anything to see on the way to or from the airport. The resort does have a load of stairs as other reviews have said. I thought it might be an exaggeration but it's not. My wife and I didn't have trouble with the stairs but be warned, to get to anything or anywhere on the resort requires going either up or down many stairs.
The service was good, can't complain one bit about that. All the staff were helpful. The food wasn't the best, but I found something to eat whether it was the buffet or specialty restaurants. The wine is horrible. If you are a wine drinker, bring your own or buy it in town. I've never had white wine and red wine that tasted the same until I stayed here. The room cleaning staff are fantastic and it was always a surprise to find the bed made and room cleaned when we'd get back from breakfast. The beds are hard. If you like a soft mattress you will not like Las Brisas. The carts were always coming and going so getting back to the room was never a problem. There is free wifi but it is spotty. It's in the lobby and in the Mar section. Comes and goes.
Booked this vacation through Air Canada Vacations. On the website it said something about Air Canada Privileges. A bottle of rum or wine in your room, late checkout and 15% off spa services. This is a total LIE. When you get there the AC rep will tell you that you can sign up at the front desk to the loyalty program and after so many visits you may qualify for such privileges....and there is no spa. That being said the AC rep was great and very helpful in booking excursions.
Overall Las Brisas isn't bad, but if you are going to book an AI in Huatulco, spend the couple of extra bucks and go to Dreams or Secrets. Seems that everyone I talked to who stayed at these places had a much better vacation than my wife and I.

Room Tip: Beach Club rooms give you access to a semi private breakfast. Pastries, coffee, toast, cereal juice...
3  Thank gatobob
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I enjoyed my trip at Las Brisas, first time in Huatulco, I really like the closeness of the airport and towns to explore. The resort is huge as mentioned many times before. I do not mind walking to up and down the hill to my room, but I could see this being hard for certain people. The carts do drive around and it is easy to catch a ride when you want.The resort did get really busy with Mexicans during the week end, I found out later that we were there during a long week end which makes it more crowded of course. The food was good, buffet redundant as usual, a la cartes offered good choice and ambiance. You can only go to the a la carte once during your 7 day stay, you can reserve them at the small desk to the front of the reception towards the taxi area. If you are going with Air Transat, don't bother with the rep, she's pretty useless. Your departure time will be in the binder by the transat desk. The staff works hard and were quite friendly. There are 3 beaches and the service is fast and friendly. The room was big, bathroom was great, well cleaned daily and fridge was restocked daily as well. The ac worked fine, the view fantastic. We did not upgrade to a room with a balcony, and I thought I would miss it, but did not at all...You can open the huge windows of your room and feels just like a balcony. We went on the 7 bay snorkelling tour, which was worth every penny. I strongly suggest that you ask for Gregorio to take you on his boat. You can find him by the bar in the middle beach (the one close to the buffet) or ask for him. He also took me deep sea fishing, Which was an unforgettable experience. Early am boat with humpbacks, dolphins, turtles, sting rays and a big mahi mahi I brought back to the resort for dinner and ceviche. I can not recommend Gregorio enough. Although his english is limited, he tries hard and will make sure you are happy. I hope this helps a bit, should you have any questions or concerns, I would be happy to help, just message me. Cheers and have fun! Hi Yvonne, Henry and Gwen!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank ilovefromage
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This was our fifth trip to Huatulco returning January 20th.

Three visits to Las Brisas. Once to Barcelo and once to the Dreams

We LOVE LAS BRISAS and would return again in a heart beat!! We did not enjoy the other resorts as we enjoy water activities. The under tow and currents are too strong on that side of bay.

A special thank you to the staff at the water sport beach (Jimmy, Eleandro, Tito, and all the rest)
who went out of their way to make sure that we were looked after and treated like family. They always had big smiles for us, made sure we were safe, gave great instructions on kayaks and sail boats and swam like fish!!!

We love this authentic resort. The grounds are amazing.
We had no problems with the food. Always found lots to eat.

Amazing staff, clean resort with outstanding beaches. Looking forward to next vacation here!!

10  Thank Lana D D
Reviewed January 21, 2014

First the positives. The facility is well maintained both inside and outside. The room was large with plenty of space in the bedroom and the bathroom. The beaches are great with clear, warm water with plenty of palapas and loungers. Due to limited access for hawkers, we weren't bothered on the beaches except to watch the 'oyster guy' swimming in from his boat selling a plate of fresh oysters and the tout asking if you wanted to go out on his boat, fishing or on a snorkel trip but both weren't loud or pushy. We do a lot of hiking and snowshoeing in summer and winter so the stairs and steep roads from the beaches and restaurants to our room wasn't a problem, in fact it is a positive, but if you have mobility issues, consider the impact carefully.

Now the negatives.The buffet restaurant Bellavista was quite acceptable and at lunchtime, they actually served the best cooked fish of all the resort restaurants. The 4 a la carte restaurants need to have a competent manager come and give some direction and adult supervision to the staff. Typically, the main item would be hot but the vegetables and pasta or rice would be cold and or glued together. However in the Kasbah, the whole chicken dish was cold and the lamb dish was 60% bone with cold side dishes. The fruit dessert seemed to be canned fruit (similarly at the Mexicano with their flamed fruit) which is completely unacceptable considering the great fresh fruit they provide for breakfast or for the lunch buffet. The Solarium fish (menu said bass but it was some other type; a staff member said red snapper) was over cooked and almost inedible.
For us the Mediterranean was the best the first time (we were there for 2 weeks so we could go more than once) but the second time the service fell to pieces. Over 60 minutes from being seated until our appetizer arrived during which time we received a small bread roll and a small glass of wine. The main course followed reasonably promptly. The food when it turned up was very good: hot and tasty. and then it was cleared away and we sat watching the staff clean up the restaurant for over 20 minutes until I had to call the waiter about our desert. During this time no-one was sitting around chatting, just ignoring their customers. The dessert was a cold dessert so once the waiter was caught, it turned up in under 2 minutes.

I could go on & on about the a la carte restaurants but you get the idea. We didn't pick Las Brisas for its food but it wouldn't take much to significantly improve the experience with effectively no cost.

7  Thank BabyboomerCalgary
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This was my first all-inclusive, and thank goodness others in our group had been to others. I have very limited walking mobility, and found this resort to be almost impossible to manueuver around. Waiting for the pink jeeps - yeah - well - good luck with that. The restaurants, all three of them were mediocre at best. Only one real bar to speak of, and pool too. The call it 3 pools but one is for kids, and the other part of the spa. However, the snorkel bay in front of the restaurant was incredible - and we were able to take our chairs, and sit at waters edge while reading. NO balconies or terraces either, unless in the $$$ private bldg. Not worth the $$. I much prefer Marival Resort in Nuevo Vallarta - MUCH MUCH MUCH better.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends