“Loved this resort but...”

Las Brisas Huatulco
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My huband and I stayed here the first week in April and had an absolutely wonderful time. There are many positives to this resort, the number one being the drop-dead gorgeous setting and grounds. The beaches are really lovely, there are 3, all very swimmable and beautiful. The so-called "secret beach" located just below the Mar section (blue tower) is really just a rocky inlet from the sea. You can't sit or swim there. Those two positives (setting and beaches) are the main reason we booked here and not at a more upscale resort like Secrets.

We stayed in the Beach Club Suites (Mar section) because we wanted a terrace to sit out on and an ocean view. When we arrived our room had a view of the Bay rather than the ocean. I called to the front desk and Miguel immediately changed us to an ocean front view room and 15 minutes later arrived to take us to the new room. The room itself was absolutely fine, very plain but nice. Marble floors and a marble bathroom with Gilchrist and Soames bath products and thick, fluffy bath towels. This is not the kind of upscale luxury you will find at Secrets or Dreams but we were absolutely satisfied with the room. The terraces are a disappointment only because the safety railing is a solid wall of stuccoed concrete and therefore impossible to sit and look out at the beautiful view. As well it was too hot during the day to ever sit out so early mornings or evenings were when we used it the most. I almost think the units without a terrace are preferrable because the window looking out at the view is right there beside the bed or sofa rather than set back by a deep terrace; you cannot see the view from your room without going out on the terrace.

The rest of the resort, the public areas, lobby, pool areas, exterior of buildings, dining rooms, etc. are really, in my opinion, in need of a major renovation. I would love to see a huge injection of cash into this resort to bring it up to the standards of other higher end resorts (hubby says then we couldn't afford to stay there, heh, heh!) But really, with the advent of Secrets and Dreams it is falling behind - Tripadvisor rates it as #15 in the area. The lobby, which should be the showpiece of any resort, is absolutely drab and dreary. It's grungy. The main buffet restaurant, Bellavista, is horrid - loud, noisy, unappealing aesthetically. Honestly, I've been in University cafeterias that were nicer. None of the restaurants here were aesthetically beautiful with the exception of Kasbah, the Morroccan restaurant which was rather nice. I'll get to the food later.

The service: absolutely, without question, fantastic! The chambermaids cleaned our room beautifully every day. The drivers who picked us up in the little "cattle cars" as my husband called them, were so polite and pleasant as were all the restaurant staff and front desk staff. I would just like to mention here that you should not hesitate to ask for anything at all. They will definitely try to accommodate your wishes if at all possible. I think Canadians are sometimes a bit hesitant to "make a fuss" and will just accept a less than satisfactory situation. If you don't like your room, ask them to change it and they will if they can. For example, our first room terrace had two chairs, a table and also a chaise lounge. We changed to another room and it did not have the chaise lounge. We called the reception and asked if we could have one and the very next day it was brought over. No problemo. Service with a smile.

OK, the food: very below par. I knew from reading TA reviews that the food here was probably not great. We are not foodies and can generally find something we like to eat at the buffet or the ala carte restaurants. The buffet food in Bellavista was what you would expect at most all-inclusives, plenty to choose from and average in quality. The ala carte meals we had were quite poor. We liked the Mexican restaurant the best (and it's a good place for breakfast) the food was tasty and the setting overlooking the snorkel beach was lovely. The seafood restaurant (which is the outdoor beach bar restaurant by day) had really dry overcooked seafood (you'd think they would know how to cook it here). The Mediterranean and Moroccan restaurants were not bad. The Solarium (steakhouse), oh my! Hubby had inedible lamb ribs and I had an inedible ribeye steak. OK, I'm an Alberta girl and I love my beef so it's always a risk for me to order a steak in another country but I'm not even sure this WAS beef. It was kind of white in colour, weird taste, as thin as an envelope and absolutely grisly and fatty. I chewed two bites and had to surreptitiously spit them out. As another reviewer, GGG16 said in her review, the dessert here saved the situation. I really enjoyed the orange tart. Of course I was starving at that point. Enough about the food. Don't come here if you love good food.

On our last night we took a taxi into the little town of Le Crucecita and had pizza at La Crema. Wow, that was a trip back in time. I felt I was back in college in the 60s or 70s with the music and the atmosphere. Good pizza although we waited an hour and a half. It is on the second level of a building across from the main park in the town. Don't go to the main level restaurant although their food may be good too, it's just not La Crema.

I have one other little niggly that I feel I have to mention. The lounge chairs on the beach are incredibly uncomfortable. They are pretty cheap quality and have thin plastic mats on them and sitting on them for any length of time resulted in terrible numb bum. We could not get comfortable. If there were a lot of unoccupied chairs I would sometimes take a mat from another chair and double it up which helped a bit.

Do not believe anyone who says that the odious practice of beach chair saving does not go on here. Early every morning the choicest spots had towels on the chairs with no one in evidence. I just have to ask: How can anyone have the arrogance to think that they deserve to tie up a chair at the beach for hours without using it. Are you somehow more special than the rest of us? I really think it is up to the resorts to end this practice. They need to post a sign stating that saving chairs is prohibited and that towels and personal articles will be removed after 1/2 hour and the owners can collect them at the beach hut. As another reviewer stated, she has no hesitation in moving towels, etc. off of chairs if the owner is not present. More of us need to do just that.

Air Transat: We were quite impressed on the flight down, not so much going home. We had flown with AT several years ago and hubby said "never again". The rows were so close together his knees were up around his ears. The person in front reclined his seat and his head was in my husband's lap for the entire flight. This time, however, it was much more roomy, nice leather seats and we had a row to ourselves, no one in the middle seat. They served us a bottle of champagne on the flight down, a really quite good hot meal with wine and gave us a "comfort pack" which included a blanket, blow-up pillow, ear plugs. Kind of a nice touch. On the way back to the airport the AT rep, Catherine, told us on the bus that the plane was sitting empty at the airport waiting for us and that if we could all get through check-in and security quickly, we could leave an hour early which caused a cheer on the bus. In fact, the plane was not there and we had to wait and wait and wait and didn't board until the last minute. We were almost 1/2 hour late leaving. Quite a disappointment after being told we might leave an hour early. This time I had a middle seat and realized that what Air Transat gave back in extra leg room they took away in row width. They have to sqeeze those extra seats in somehow. I had a hard time managing my knife and fork without elbowing my seatmate in the shoulder. We had the hot meal though, which is something in this day and age, I guess.

Those are the highs and lows of our trip to Las Brisas. All of the negatives I've mentioned did not detract from our enjoyment of the week we spent here. I merely point them out to give an accurate overview of the resort and because I would love to see this resort go from very nice to outstanding. And we would definitely return.

Room Tip: Loved our ocean view in the Mar section but not sure the terrace is really a big selling point.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Winderbelle
There are newer reviews for Las Brisas Huatulco

Reviewed April 8, 2013

It seemed like everyone we talked to when we were out and about that was staying at one of the new resorts, Dreams,Secrets, etc, all hd complaints. The beach is too steep, the resort is to sanitized, etc. We loved Las Brisas. Will be back year after year. The resort has character. We were there the first week of Feb. The staff helped us arrange for everything we wanted to do.

Room Tip: The junior Suites with the balcoies are a waste of money. We had a Deluxe room in the Estrellas Comp...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maggoo3193
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon in early April 2011. The resort was fantastic and so quiet. We were there in the shoulder season so it was not very busy. We were always able to find a spot on the beach no matter what time we got down there. The a la carte options, 5 to choose from, we're delicious! We enjoyed all of 3 we visited and would be hard pressed to choose a favourite. The staff was very friendly. We had the benefit of a breakfast dining room near our room (can't remember what it's called) because of the part of the resort we were in. It was nice to not have to go very far for breakfast and we always were met with the same smiling face every morning. Don't be discouraged by the sprawl of this resort, it is very easy to navigate by foot or on one of the trolley's. there are so many great things to day about this resort, if you are looking for a quiet, romantic place, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been to the Las Brisas Huatulco 3 times now. Huatulco is a rare find in Mexico. The Hotel Zone was built with infrastructure in mind. Beautiful, clear and warm ocean water. I have never had better service in any hotel. Our room was wonderfully cool with white marble throughout and a wonderful breakfast delivered each morning with fresh fruits, pastry and great coffee. Every employee was so warm and friendly and dedicated to our enjoyment.

The nearby town of La Crucecita is completely charming with many restaurants and shops. The food in this area is fantastic each meal better than the last it seemed. If you love the ocean and want to relax this is a wonderful area. Up the coast is Puerto Escondido, the famed surfing mecca. (Not for the faint of heart or inexperienced!) On the way we stopped at Mazunte, The Museo de Tortuga is great if you are a fan of sea turtles.

We chartered a fishing boat one morning and ended up with our guide saving an entangled sea turtle who was caught up in a floating raft of trash. Our guide drifted up to the turtle and was able to cut a noose of rope around its neck and the turtle swam away free. We didn't land a single fish but that was a moment I will never forget.

Go.

Room Tip: Go for the Beach Club Room. It's worth the extra $.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pauloinnyc
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at Las Brisas in mid March 2013. We were worried at first about being able to navigate this massive 50 acre property, but after a day of getting our bearings, we found that we could get around on foot, not having to rely on the always available golf cart-type transports.
The bus ride thru Air Canada Vacations was only about 20 minutes to the hotel. Too bad the rep. From the tour company offered no commentary on the way. Also on the welcome talk , the next morning, we were not told of the bus pick up time for transport back to the airport; we had to ask the next day.We showed up for this time to come home and were told we were late, as they had changed the time but had not informed us. In fact, from Vancouver we really got the “milk run “ flight(s). 3 of them . We left Vancouver, changed planes in Edmonton, again in Toronto, then back to the west coast. No direct flights to this hotel from Vancouver on the exact days I needed.. After I had booked, I found that Air Transat & Sunwing had flights direct from Calgary, and for less cost. Oh well -- next time ?
I really wanted to come to this hotel because of it’s reputation for snorkeling right off of the beach. This had good and bad points. Yes there is a small reef, but you are not allowed to swim over it, just along its perimeter, and i was refused snorkel equipment by the hotel staff because of the tide being too low, and there fear of me damaging the reef. I can understand their ecological stance, but I was disappointed with the quality of the snorkeling.
Restaurants; As we booked in a Beach Club room, we were allowed to have ala carte dinners every night. We tried all 5. Mexican: food okay service excellent. Has a great breakfast buffet. For dinner House wine palatable to decent. Morrocan (Kasbah) wonderful atmosphere,decor, music, food and service was okay. They even had a belly dancer!! Mediterranean: lousy service, seafood dish quite good, steak, good flavour but very tough. What saved the night was one of the best chocolate mousse I have had. This was 1st place I did find that they watered down the house red wine. Pescador: The spaghetti with salmon in a white sauce was tasty and plentiful , while the seafood on a skewer was also enjoyed. The vegetable soup was the recycled minestrone recipe ( minus the pasta ) from the Mediterranean. Solarium: Food here is part buffet ( salads & desserts ) but ordering the main course from a waiter. I had the lamb ribs and my spouse had the steak. The lamb was actually unedible, being mostly fat & gristle , and bone with very little meat. The steak was tough and required cutting into tiny slivers to allow teeth to get thru it. We wound up going to the buffet for something later. Buffet was actually very good. We ate there again the next night, as we had tried all of the restaurants. Lots of variety and good flavours.
Excursions: We did the coffee plantation tour and found it great, but don’t believe when they tell you it is only about an hour away!! It is a 2 hour drive over the windiest hiway you will ever experience. You will stop along the way up there at a town for sight seeing and going thru a public market. When you finally get to the coffee place they will feed you ( twice ) and get a 40 minute hike into the hills to see the plants. Only a bit strenuous. Any even moderately fit person could make the hike – well worth it. They will sell you some coffee if you want. – and it is excellent. This area of Mexico grows some of the world’s BEST beans. !! Tour takes from 8:50 a.m till 5:15 pm
7 Bay & snorkel tour -- takes most of the day - Tuesdays – small boat -- Fridays big boat ( 50 people ). I went Friday. We stopped at 2 bays for snorkeling. The 2nd one was the best with many fish, rays etc. to see. We had lunch here ( not included ) Fantastic fresh fish with rice and vegies, and fresh tacos & salsa. It was only 100 pesos ( $8.00 ) Stayed here a bit too long, then headed back to port. Takes all day 8:45 – 4:45 pm. Some of the best snorkeling I have ever done !!
Conclusion- A beautiful place to stay, easy to get a lounger on one of the beach areas. Food is hit & miss. If I came here again, I would know what to order, and where to get it. If you can get a good price, I do recommend it.

Room Tip: All rooms are far away from the main building. Most will have a decent view. Beach Club maybe not...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GGG16
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Firstly the weather was amazing!!!!! If you like hot weather this is the place for you wow we go away to a different place every year and this has been the hottest place by far, I normally sit in the sun from 7:00 am till 5:00 easy, I was in the shade in huatulco by 1:00. The first week my parents joined my husband, myself and our 14 year old daughter. My parents are in their 80's, mom likes to walk and is in pretty good shape my father has Altzheimer's and has mobility issues, this however was not a problem, there are carts that you can call that will pick you up and take you anywhere on the resort, all you had to do was call front desk, walk out your room and they were there very fast!!! Now there were some places they could not get close enough to for my dad so we found out that they also have golf carts that you could book for your room if you had serious mobility issues like my dad. We got that set up and they were able to drop him off right at the entrance of where he wanted to go, and again you called them and they were there very fast, very impressed!!!! So basically do not worry about all the stairs and hills that was definitely not an issue. The staff was amazing setting up the golf carts they really could not help enough very impressed, there was a server on the snorkel beach by the name of Roberto and he was amazing!!!! Sit there and he will take care of you guaranteed!!!! One thing that I never read on any of the other reviews was the fact that some of the workers there only spoke Spanish a little bit of a language problem but was really not a huge problem but was just surprised one of our cleaning ladies could not speak any English and I was trying to ask her for some coffee at least it was entertaining watching me trying to explain what I wanted (haha) she was a sweetie and I did get my coffee eventually. The food was good same really as other parts of Mexico, there were however in the main buffet area across from the main beach in the blue building, second floor that had for desert deep fried apple slices with a couple different kinds of sauce for on top, if you have a sweet tooth you must try wow!!!! They are only made once a week so watch for them. Another thing that I was surprised at was the fact in the bathrooms in your rooms there is a sign that says the water is safe, I never did drink it I used the bottle water but I did wash out our cups and toothbrushes with the tap water with no problems. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Book into the beach club rooms, where the blue tower is. Guaranteed an amazing view!!!! There was a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sbedient
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Check in was relatively quick considering there were about 100 people checking in at the same time as us. Our room was a little dated, but still nice and everything functioned as it should. The beds are very hard, but I've seen worse. The hot water was abundant and consistent, and the fridge and air conditioning worked well. Yes, there can be lots of stairs and walking if you don't want to wait for a shuttle. With that said, I don't think we ever waited more than 5 minutes for one. The beaches were all well taken care of, and were very nice. Snorkeling wasn't the best while we were there, but I think it was just the week that we were there, as I know other people that have went to this same resort and said it was good snorkeling. Activities at the resort are lacking to say the least. The entertainment staff don't engage the guests. A lot of the time, you would have no idea that they were doing something. A big dissappointment for my two boys that are 11 and 10. The grounds are massive, but it only takes a day or two max. to figure out where things are. Very few of the staff speak good english, or any english at all. One out of five bartenders knew enough english to actually give you what you asked for. My kids had alcohol in their drinks because they had ordered virgin drinks of what I was having. Honest enough of mistakes though I suppose. Drinks that I ordered were wrong as well. Fairly hard to mess up "Vodka and coke", but lots of times it would be Rum, or Tequila. Neither of which I drink, and these orders were when nobody else was around and I had ordered directly from the bartender. The shuttle drivers were all very friendly and polite. They got you around quickly and worked very hard. Oscar always remembered us and always had a smile. The food at the resort isn't the best and lacks selection. Yes, it's a buffet, and yes, you can always find "something" to eat, but after a week of finding the same "something" to eat, you get a little sick of it. The a' la' carte's were very good and so were the 2 places up town that we had eaten at. The entertainment at night was very short and ended at an early time, so there wasn't much to do during the evenings. I think after a couple years and a few small touch ups, they will get better, but as of right now, this is a 4* resort at best. The weather is extremely hot, and if you like lazing on the beach, this might be the spot for you. I reccomend going to the falls. It was a long drive, but worth it. La Crema in town for pizza was really good. It only opens at 7, and if you go right at 7, you'll be in a huge line up. You're better off planning for 9, enjoying some drinks, and not being in a hurry for your food. It will take 1 to 2 hours for your food to come, but the entertainment will keep you occupied. Hope this review helps you make your choice

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view that overlooks the beaches at THIS resort, then you will need to specify t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family