“Nothing but the Truth”

Las Brisas Huatulco
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at Las Brisas in mid March 2013. We were worried at first about being able to navigate this massive 50 acre property, but after a day of getting our bearings, we found that we could get around on foot, not having to rely on the always available golf cart-type transports.
The bus ride thru Air Canada Vacations was only about 20 minutes to the hotel. Too bad the rep. From the tour company offered no commentary on the way. Also on the welcome talk , the next morning, we were not told of the bus pick up time for transport back to the airport; we had to ask the next day.We showed up for this time to come home and were told we were late, as they had changed the time but had not informed us. In fact, from Vancouver we really got the “milk run “ flight(s). 3 of them . We left Vancouver, changed planes in Edmonton, again in Toronto, then back to the west coast. No direct flights to this hotel from Vancouver on the exact days I needed.. After I had booked, I found that Air Transat & Sunwing had flights direct from Calgary, and for less cost. Oh well -- next time ?
I really wanted to come to this hotel because of it’s reputation for snorkeling right off of the beach. This had good and bad points. Yes there is a small reef, but you are not allowed to swim over it, just along its perimeter, and i was refused snorkel equipment by the hotel staff because of the tide being too low, and there fear of me damaging the reef. I can understand their ecological stance, but I was disappointed with the quality of the snorkeling.
Restaurants; As we booked in a Beach Club room, we were allowed to have ala carte dinners every night. We tried all 5. Mexican: food okay service excellent. Has a great breakfast buffet. For dinner House wine palatable to decent. Morrocan (Kasbah) wonderful atmosphere,decor, music, food and service was okay. They even had a belly dancer!! Mediterranean: lousy service, seafood dish quite good, steak, good flavour but very tough. What saved the night was one of the best chocolate mousse I have had. This was 1st place I did find that they watered down the house red wine. Pescador: The spaghetti with salmon in a white sauce was tasty and plentiful , while the seafood on a skewer was also enjoyed. The vegetable soup was the recycled minestrone recipe ( minus the pasta ) from the Mediterranean. Solarium: Food here is part buffet ( salads & desserts ) but ordering the main course from a waiter. I had the lamb ribs and my spouse had the steak. The lamb was actually unedible, being mostly fat & gristle , and bone with very little meat. The steak was tough and required cutting into tiny slivers to allow teeth to get thru it. We wound up going to the buffet for something later. Buffet was actually very good. We ate there again the next night, as we had tried all of the restaurants. Lots of variety and good flavours.
Excursions: We did the coffee plantation tour and found it great, but don’t believe when they tell you it is only about an hour away!! It is a 2 hour drive over the windiest hiway you will ever experience. You will stop along the way up there at a town for sight seeing and going thru a public market. When you finally get to the coffee place they will feed you ( twice ) and get a 40 minute hike into the hills to see the plants. Only a bit strenuous. Any even moderately fit person could make the hike – well worth it. They will sell you some coffee if you want. – and it is excellent. This area of Mexico grows some of the world’s BEST beans. !! Tour takes from 8:50 a.m till 5:15 pm
7 Bay & snorkel tour -- takes most of the day - Tuesdays – small boat -- Fridays big boat ( 50 people ). I went Friday. We stopped at 2 bays for snorkeling. The 2nd one was the best with many fish, rays etc. to see. We had lunch here ( not included ) Fantastic fresh fish with rice and vegies, and fresh tacos & salsa. It was only 100 pesos ( $8.00 ) Stayed here a bit too long, then headed back to port. Takes all day 8:45 – 4:45 pm. Some of the best snorkeling I have ever done !!
Conclusion- A beautiful place to stay, easy to get a lounger on one of the beach areas. Food is hit & miss. If I came here again, I would know what to order, and where to get it. If you can get a good price, I do recommend it.

Room Tip: All rooms are far away from the main building. Most will have a decent view. Beach Club maybe not...
3  Thank GGG16

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Firstly the weather was amazing!!!!! If you like hot weather this is the place for you wow we go away to a different place every year and this has been the hottest place by far, I normally sit in the sun from 7:00 am till 5:00 easy, I was in the shade in huatulco by 1:00. The first week my parents joined my husband, myself and our 14 year old daughter. My parents are in their 80's, mom likes to walk and is in pretty good shape my father has Altzheimer's and has mobility issues, this however was not a problem, there are carts that you can call that will pick you up and take you anywhere on the resort, all you had to do was call front desk, walk out your room and they were there very fast!!! Now there were some places they could not get close enough to for my dad so we found out that they also have golf carts that you could book for your room if you had serious mobility issues like my dad. We got that set up and they were able to drop him off right at the entrance of where he wanted to go, and again you called them and they were there very fast, very impressed!!!! So basically do not worry about all the stairs and hills that was definitely not an issue. The staff was amazing setting up the golf carts they really could not help enough very impressed, there was a server on the snorkel beach by the name of Roberto and he was amazing!!!! Sit there and he will take care of you guaranteed!!!! One thing that I never read on any of the other reviews was the fact that some of the workers there only spoke Spanish a little bit of a language problem but was really not a huge problem but was just surprised one of our cleaning ladies could not speak any English and I was trying to ask her for some coffee at least it was entertaining watching me trying to explain what I wanted (haha) she was a sweetie and I did get my coffee eventually. The food was good same really as other parts of Mexico, there were however in the main buffet area across from the main beach in the blue building, second floor that had for desert deep fried apple slices with a couple different kinds of sauce for on top, if you have a sweet tooth you must try wow!!!! They are only made once a week so watch for them. Another thing that I was surprised at was the fact in the bathrooms in your rooms there is a sign that says the water is safe, I never did drink it I used the bottle water but I did wash out our cups and toothbrushes with the tap water with no problems. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Book into the beach club rooms, where the blue tower is. Guaranteed an amazing view!!!! There was a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sbedient
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Check in was relatively quick considering there were about 100 people checking in at the same time as us. Our room was a little dated, but still nice and everything functioned as it should. The beds are very hard, but I've seen worse. The hot water was abundant and consistent, and the fridge and air conditioning worked well. Yes, there can be lots of stairs and walking if you don't want to wait for a shuttle. With that said, I don't think we ever waited more than 5 minutes for one. The beaches were all well taken care of, and were very nice. Snorkeling wasn't the best while we were there, but I think it was just the week that we were there, as I know other people that have went to this same resort and said it was good snorkeling. Activities at the resort are lacking to say the least. The entertainment staff don't engage the guests. A lot of the time, you would have no idea that they were doing something. A big dissappointment for my two boys that are 11 and 10. The grounds are massive, but it only takes a day or two max. to figure out where things are. Very few of the staff speak good english, or any english at all. One out of five bartenders knew enough english to actually give you what you asked for. My kids had alcohol in their drinks because they had ordered virgin drinks of what I was having. Honest enough of mistakes though I suppose. Drinks that I ordered were wrong as well. Fairly hard to mess up "Vodka and coke", but lots of times it would be Rum, or Tequila. Neither of which I drink, and these orders were when nobody else was around and I had ordered directly from the bartender. The shuttle drivers were all very friendly and polite. They got you around quickly and worked very hard. Oscar always remembered us and always had a smile. The food at the resort isn't the best and lacks selection. Yes, it's a buffet, and yes, you can always find "something" to eat, but after a week of finding the same "something" to eat, you get a little sick of it. The a' la' carte's were very good and so were the 2 places up town that we had eaten at. The entertainment at night was very short and ended at an early time, so there wasn't much to do during the evenings. I think after a couple years and a few small touch ups, they will get better, but as of right now, this is a 4* resort at best. The weather is extremely hot, and if you like lazing on the beach, this might be the spot for you. I reccomend going to the falls. It was a long drive, but worth it. La Crema in town for pizza was really good. It only opens at 7, and if you go right at 7, you'll be in a huge line up. You're better off planning for 9, enjoying some drinks, and not being in a hurry for your food. It will take 1 to 2 hours for your food to come, but the entertainment will keep you occupied. Hope this review helps you make your choice

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view that overlooks the beaches at THIS resort, then you will need to specify t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Leapfrogchamp
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My spouse and I just returned from a week's stay at Las Brisas, Huatulco...I can officially say that this is by far my favorite holiday destination. The resort gets top rating in all aspects, from the quick check-in, all the rooms have great views, the grounds are impeccable, the food is delicious with lots of selection, the a-la-cartes are all excellent, the service is great, everything is clean, the staff is very friendly and go WAY out of their way to make your stay most satisfying. The swimmable beaches are beautiful, tons of palapas & chairs, the amenities are all A-1, the entertainment is good fun for all ages, the excursions are organized, safe and well worth going...and quite affordable too. The towns are safe to visit, cheap by taxi ($4), great shopping and restaurants....totally recommend La Crema for the ambiance and the great pizza...and EL RIGOLETTO'S for the best Italian food in town surrounded by the coziest setting. The towns are spotless and it's residents are the warmest and kindest of people. My hubby and I love Mexico and once again, it has not let us down. We will definitely be going back to Las Brisas....lastly...if you are looking to party and have a wild and crazy time...this is not the resort for you. It is a very family-friendly resort...offering lots of amenities for kids and a very relaxing, laid-back atmosphere.
Thank you to all staff at Las Brisas for a terrific vacation getaway! Can't wait to come back again soon!!

Room Tip: all of the sections have phenomenal views...we were in the "stars" section...but honestly...
2  Thank Jollybeacher
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Our family was at this resort in 2010 but I feel the need to share with you our experience. We went spring break 2010 and it was a great value. The hotel was great food was good, grounds were awesome and the service was fantastic. You will notice other reviews advise that if you have mobility issues you might not like this place but as a family with 2 kids and me being a bigger guy you will not have an issue. If you need a ride call and they will be there within 2 minutes to pick you up.
One thing I have always shared about this resort was that one day we went out for the day and I left the safe open with all our passperts and money in it. When I returned the room was cleaned and the safe was shut but not locked and I was approached by the maid to let me know the safe was left open. Nothing was taken and we could have been in big trouble but this goes to show the honesty in the staff that work at the resort. I left a big tip on the pillow the next day for the maid and will always remember the service I had at this resort.
As a family we don't go back to the same resort as we want to see more places but If I was asked to go back to a resport I stayed in this would be it. Awesome place and good small towns within a $3 cab ride to get to.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Shawn W
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed at Las Brisas for three nights in late March. All the reviews below are correct, but it seems to me that they niggle a little too much. The hotel has three lovely small beaches, plus a 'secret beach' that is lovely but unusable. While the water is a bit turbulent, it is lovely, good for swimming, and you can snorkel right off the beach (it's a little murky, but there are quite a few fish). The architecture is rather plain and stark, but except for the colored towers identifying the sections, it blends well into the hilly landscape. The grounds are beautiful and full of fascinating birds, iguanas and Mexican red bellied squirrels. We saw chachalacas, magpie jays, orange-breasted buntings, russet-crowned motmots, yellow-winged caciques, a feruginous pygmy owl and more than 25 other species. The vegetation is wonderful, offering good opportunities for wandering. Indeed, the rooms are up flights of stairs and hills, and even with the little vehicles that take visitors around, one often needs to use stairs to access the restaurant or room. But there are so many views from the paths!
Rooms are spacious and very clean, with very nice showers. Our needs are pretty straightforward and we welcomed the free wifi and minibar, good airconditioning, king-size bed, clean linens, nice soap. Some in our group got flowers and fabulous animals made from their towels by the maids.
We had difficulty getting a second a la carte dinner due to heavy reservations, but the hotel offered to open a restaurant just for our group; in the end we decided to take the buffet instead. The Mexican restaurant was really excellent, and it is open to the beach, which is delightful. It is also quiet. The buffets were copious and varied and we always found many things we liked, including varied desserts - fruit, custard, chocolate, pies. Nonetheless, I believe we would have gotten bored with the buffet after a few days and would welcome the a la carte opportunities. The Mexican restaurant also serves breakfast, where I had a lovely omelet.
We were with a group of 14 and the others partook of the wide range of activities offered - various boats, pingpong, tennis, massages, the gym. I just enjoyed that I could always get a comfortable lounge chair on the beach and someone to bring me a Riviera Maya.
Indeed, the staff mostly spoke only very limited English, but they were all very helpful and positive and I appreciated the chance to try to communicate in the language of the country.
We went birdwatching with Pablo, the hotel's bird guide, one morning at 7. He speaks very good English, is excellent and much better for birds than the tour offered by the hotel. Unfortunately, when we waited for him a second time, he didn't show up. Nonetheless, I'd recommend trying for him if seeing amazing birds interests you.

Room Tip: We stayed in estrellas (stars). Friends were in a section closer to the lobby. No one complained abo...
2  Thank OutofKansas
Reviewed March 27, 2013

For our first trip to Huatulco we were pleasantly surprised. The entire area, from the airport to the hotel, and roads between were clean and well maintained.

Coming from the airport to the hotel, we experienced a 20-30 minute delay at the gate to the resort. During this time another large bus with passengers was allowed to enter ahead of us to drop off passengers. This would have been no big deal if the hotel rep had gotten onto the PA system to explain the reason for the delay. Instead, as we sat there waiting, the general mood of the passengers went from excited to irritated.

Our room was overlooking the bay and with the window open, we could enjoy the sound of crashing waves below. The room was comfortable with a nice selection of pillow types available. The bathroom was nicely tiled. Initially hot water was intermittent however a call to the front desk prompted a quick response from maintenance and the issue was fixed.

Our housekeeping staff went well beyond our expectations, towel hearts and flower petals on the sheets were a sweet touch. We never touched the temperature settings in the room, the transition from the heat outside to our cool room always felt great.

The bar fridge was restocked (almost) daily with soft drinks, water and Coronita’s (cervesa). We were told that tap water was fine for drinking and brushing our teeth however they also provided larger bottles of water in the room.

The food was typical all-inclusive. We enjoyed the four a la carte dinners however the “Mediterranean” dinner was our least favorite. The main buffet offered lots of choices and the cook stations prepared hot entre options to suit our tastes. The restaurant staff were attentive and provided great service.

The resort is very hilly, with a well laid out maze of paved pathways and stairs. We enjoyed the daily challenge of walking everywhere, this probably saved us from gaining weight at the buffet. For those who don’t care to get any exercise on holidays, they offer shuttle service throughout the property.

The beaches were nice and beach chairs were comfortable. Next time we will ask them to turn up the temperature of the ocean (lol). The pools were well laid out, kid’s pools / adult pool / shade / sun / excellent bar service at the pools and beaches. Gratuities helped ensure (many)prompt refills. : )

You can get into town by cab for a less than $5, ($4 to get back to the resort). We went into La Crucecita twice. A couple of restaurants on the main square offered two beers for $3. There are lots of souvenir shops selling typical tee shirt / tourist fare. We found it interesting that many clothing stores were selling what appeared to be used clothing.

We stopped in at several dentist offices and found we could get our teeth cleaned for approximately $50. We decided to save this for our regular dentist in Puerto Vallarta where we are able to get the same services for about $30.

We decided to walk back from town once for the exercise, it’s a good hike in the afternoon sun for sure! We tempered the heat with beers from the OXXO convenience stores scattered around town. You can pick up a large, cold “Sol” for just over a dollar.

Entertainment on the property was typical Mexico, all inclusive. There were various nightly events in the main auditorium, however we primarily enjoyed the Mexican lady from Acapulco who sang pop hits in the lounge. She performed a nice mixture of familiar songs in Spanish and English (gracias, thank you)… : )

We had a terrific time and would return here again.

Room Tip: We determined late in our vacation that we it would have been worth upgrading to a room with a balco...
2  Thank TJHCalgary