“Not a luxurious property - but some really nice features!”

Las Brisas Huatulco
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband, our 8 year old daughter and I stayed at Las Brisas in a family junior suite the week of February 11-18, 2013. If I would have written this review after only staying one night, it would have been much different.

My initial impression of the property was that it is a bit run-down (which was expected based on other reviews) and that the food was horrible. I have no idea why the food was so bad on our first visit to the buffet the night we arrived, but it was. I'm not picky, but I had difficulty finding anything that I could eat. VERY limited selection, Luke warm and no traditional fare (rice, beans and salsa).

I'm happy to report that we never experienced this again during our trip; in fact I actually found the food, especially the desserts, to be quite good.

I have posted a number of pictures under the hotel that show the inside of our room and various views from around the resort.

There are a lot of thorough reviews already posted about this property so I won't repeat what has already been said.

Something that I had difficulty understanding was the difference between the suite and the family junior suite - I think the main difference is the bed configuration. The family junior suite has 2 double beds (although they seemed to be somewhere between double and queen in size) and the regular suites have one king bed. There are a two different suite configurations and I believe the family junior suites all have the balcony in-between the bedroom and living area.

You enter the suite through the living area, walk out to the balcony, and the door to the separate bedroom is on the balcony. The bathroom is in the bedroom. The main living area also has a pull out couch, although it isn't made up and you'll have to request bedding for it.

Some of the other suites you enter through the living area and the bedroom adjoins, with the balcony access and bathroom in the bedroom.

The room does have an iron and ironing board included and the toiletries are very high quality (Gilchrest and Soames), which was unexpected.

My main hint for walking around the resort is to traverse the resort at beach level as a path connects from the sports beach/conference centre all the way to the snorkel beach/base of Mar section. and then head up the hill from the point at the water level closest to your building. We only used the shuttle once and that was to transport us and our luggage upon arrival. Great exercise to walk this resort, but it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to walk if you had toddlers or individuals with mobility issues.

Breakfast is also served at the Mexican restaurant and it is less popular and offers a wonderful view of the ocean

The staff at the resort are very friendly and hard working and we tipped as often as possible. It was pointed out to us that the person who cleans your room is not the same person who stocks your mini-fridge. We decided to leave a little note and 20 pesos in the fridge every day in order to trade a few sodas for coronitas. We managed to get our beer allowance upped to 4/day rather than the usual 3 (which doesn't divide equally between 2 -LOL)

Beach Towels can be picked up/returned at 3 different locations on the resort: pool, snorkel beach and sports beach .

Beaches and grounds are gorgeous and the best part about this resort is that you can find a lounger in the sun or shade... At the pool or at a beach at any time of day. No ridiculous towel games necessary here and I am grateful to not have to pick up other people's towels and toss them aside (yes I'm one of those people who doesn't believe that chairs can be reserved for hours without actual use).

Room Tip: We really enjoyed our balcony - higher floor rooms (all 2 or 3 story bldgs will have better views).
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank tiredofcold

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at the Las Brisas March 27 to April 3, 2012... Okay it was more like April 4,2012 after the 28 hour delay that was poorly communicated by Sunwing, I will cover this later...

The rooms... We did not have a balcony/patio, I thought we would miss it but nope we did not, the large windows opened and more that compensated. The room was large, clean and very comfortable.

The pools... they are not great, we found them VERY small and over chlorinated. Any bathing suits with white on them yellowed. The beaches on the other hand was FANTASTIC, lots of chairs and umbrellas, the water was calm and warm.

The food... was resort food. Nothing stood out as horrible and nothing was super fabulous. I do recommend the Moroccan Restaurant it was the best of the al a carts.

Huatulco... What can I say other than AMAZING!!! The weather was exceptional (34 to 36 everyday), the people were warm and friendly. Go into town and experience the town... there is an great little pizza place off the main square (wish I could remember the name) it had one small table and couple stools. I love the fact that there is no Starbucks or Subway, you really get the true Mexican experience.

Overall... This hotel is older but updated quite well. This is not a resort for anyone that hates walking, it is very spread out. We stayed here because of a smoking-good deal during spring break, we would not pay full price to stay here but if you can get it on sale ($800 all taxes in) it is worth the trip. Definitely visit Huatulco, it is worth it!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank leemacsim
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from Las Brisas, and have nothing but great things to say.
Rooms - Mine was delux, basic but not fancy. Would upgrade to balcony nxt time.
Food - They did have issues with the main buffet steam table, but food is very good.
Beaches - Fantastic.
Staff-amazing.
Shuttle service- great.
Massages- reasonable, and very good.
Great tours in area, not outrageously expensive.

• Stayed: February 2013
7  Thank marny sanderson
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is a huge property and a little overwhelming at first. Once you get your bearings, find the shortcuts, and figure out the shuttle system, its great. It took a while to find the bathrooms, restaurants, and bar areas because it is so spread out. Lots of places to go if you want to relax and enjoy the area. The resort and town were very safe. A lot of walking if you want or catch the shuttles. There are lots of stairs, but we enjoyed them to help work off the meals.
All staff was very polite. The shuttle drivers. bar staff, and room attendants were all great.
The food at the buffet was very good, different most days. Supper is later, from 7 pm – 11 pm. There will always some kind of food that does not appeal to everybody but there was always lots to choose from. Went to the A-la Carte restaurants, Mediterranean and Solarium Steak House, and the food was good as well, a change from the buffet.
Good Wi-FI access, was able get connection everywhere but the bar area.
The room was very good, the bathroom was updated and very clean. No ants or bugs in the room. The mini fridge in the room was stocked daily with 3 of each, pop, water, and mini Coronas. We were not in the room a lot but always seemed to run out of drinks in the room. Had to ask for more.
Bathrooms around the resort were very clean and the grounds were kept up.
The daytime music and activities around the pool area were loud and did not cater to most guests. Around 6pm, there was a young lady singing with a keyboard player, near the bar area. They were very good and kept everyone entertained till supper.
A couple of days we caught a cab from the lobby, 420 pesos, and went to into La Crucecita and toured the town. It is about a 10 minute cab ride.
We walked over to the the other resorts around Tangolunda Bay. They all have smaller beach areas over there and a strong rip tide.
We went on the sunset cruise, from Santa Cruz, and it was great. "Pepe" was incredible, very informative, and spoke great english.
Arranged to go out fishing one morning with one of the guys out front of the resort. This fishing was poor, but saw many sea turtles, and went through a school of 200+ dolphins feeding. That was worth the 3 hour boat ride alone.
The weather was great everyday.
We were looking for a safe, friendly, down to earth resort and that is what we got. It was a great trip and we both loved the area, very natural and still not commercialized.
Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor, as high as possible, unless you don't like stairs.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Never2wise
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Hola! We stayed for a week at the beginning of Feb. The weather was always 32-36 C The hotel was great. Staff all very kind and 'running' around to help you out. It is a place that can be a lot of walking but there are always shuttle vans going so you don't have to walk. I think the longest we waited was maybe 5 min. (half way through our trip hubby sprained his foot (not at hotel; jumping off 10 ft rocks on beach at a different bay) and needed crutches but we still had no problem getting around the grounds) So no matter how physical you may or may not be there are still ways of getting around. All inclusive was great. Food was amazing. We only used 2 a la carte suppers because the food at the buffet was soo good and there was lots of options. Even in town it was very safe, easy to get cabs, We would stay in town late and never felt insecure at all. We would go again and bring our kids (2.5, 4) There were a few others that had kids with them from babies to teens and there were activities for every age.

Room Tip: If you want to get up and read from a balcony get a junior suite, if you dont spend much time but sl...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Amber M
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I went to Las Brisas for my sister's wedding on January 15-22nd. I was a little scared to go to Mexico because of all the stories you hear - but it was very safe. We became good friends with the employee's that worked at the hotel and they showed us a great time! The resort itself is very spaced out, I was not prepared for all the walking uphill. You basically need to take a car to your room from lobby. The night entertainment at the resort is okay... seems like the same music just different performers every night. This is more of a family resort. I would not choose to go here to party. By 11PM it is pretty dead. The food here was good, no complaints. The beach was very nice. I would highly suggest going for a massage while your here.
The wedding was beautiful... I would highly recommend this resort for a special occassion. I think it was perfect because the resort had something for everyone.

If you are going to Huatulco you NEED to check out LaCrema. It is a pizza resturant downtown. It opens at 7PM (and there usually is a line outside) Well worth the wait! Cab ride is only $3 US to get there. The pizza is out of this world amazing. The whole wedding party came here the last night and it was a blast. Really cool decor as well.

Room Tip: All the rooms by the yellow or blue tower are amazing!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Nikki S
Reviewed February 11, 2013

If you decide to stay at Las Brisas, be extremely careful on the main stairwell from the lobby to the bar. There are concrete protrusions that protect the side lights that were place too low. 2 - family members smoked thier heads while walking up the stairs. I can only imagine what the more seriouse accidents would be like.
There are many stairs. make sure your room is close to one of the 3 beaches.
Huatulco is beautiful, when I return, I'll stay at the Dreams where we stayed last year.
ALL the best and happy travels.

Room Tip: Stay close to the beach. This resort involves a whole lot of walking
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family