“perfect weather, great food and snorkelling AT the hotel's beaches!”

Las Brisas Huatulco
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
Courtenay, Canada
“perfect weather, great food and snorkelling AT the hotel's beaches!”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We have been back to the Las Brisas in Huatulco 2 years in a row - and that is a first for us. The yearly search for something different ended last March when we decided the lost day getting to know a hotel at the start of a vacation was too much to stand! Las Brisas offers such a great variety of beaches, restaurants and scenery that last time we never even left the property for the week we were there.
A direct flight out of Winnipeg, small and efficient airport and a safe, friendly atmosphere are other high points for us. LOTS of stairs that we actually used (as opposed to getting a ride on the mini-truck people movers that are everywhere) results in automatic exercise program - a week at an all-inclusive and no weight gain? just another bonus.

Room Tip: the extra for the club rooms is probably not worth it - better view, that's about it.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank oldfrisbeeguy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
Ottawa, On
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Went to this resort Feb 2012, for the fouth time. Stayed in a suite in the Mer section, rooms are nice, view is terrific, large balcony. Weather is awesome, 35C-37C. Beach is small, but clean, swimming area is very nice.
Trams (golf carts) are gas, and getting very tired, and exhaust fumes are bad, however they are convenient for travellers with mobility issues. There are lots of stairs, we had no issue with this, as this was our fourth trip here and knew that. (140 stairs from beach to our room).
Room was kept very clean, fridge contents replaced daily, towel art very nice.
Restaurant a la carte system is very poor. You line up the first morning and try, yes try to get a reservation at a restaurant. They are booked early in the trip and unavailable.
The buffet was at best average or below. Food was warm, not hot, and a lot of it unidentifiable.
Drinks were good, good selection, and brand name, premium drinks were extra, and we had no problem with that. No sprite or 7up anywhere except in your fridge, instead they use fresca. Does not work for me.
Gym has been undated with equipment and is very large and clean.
Buildings need to be remodeled, really showing its age, furniture cushions stained, torn, and foam worn out. Stucco is peeling from outside.
Anyone that orders room service seems to leave their trays outside of room areas and trays are not picked up for days, yes days, attracting insects and ants, staff working there don't touch these trays and just keep walking by them like they do not exist.
The outdoor lunch area is very nice but invaded by black birds who compete for your food. Staff tries to chase them away but this is a full time job. There is netting that is ripped and torn thus letting the birds in. This netting has not been repaired or replaced in over 4 years. The food here is repetitive, and selection is poor at best, and lucky if it warm (cold fries & hamburgers). Staff (1 or 2 at the most) are very nice, and fill your drinks, take plates away etc.. Ice creme seems to be the best thing about lunch, although I only had it once.
We ate in town 3 different nights even though we had the inclusive package because of the buffet selections. We are not big eaters, but after eating fries as a meal for a few days, is was nice to actually have a meal. We did eat at the steakhouse, and the Mexican restaurants and they were good. Steak was very, very thin.
Resort now caters to Mexican families with lots of children running around in all areas, even the Adult pool areas. I fully realize that this is Mexico, but the ratio at this resort is 70-30 Mexican guests.
Take a 7 bay excursion, very nice.
La Crusasita town is very nice, safe, good shopping and good food, cost of getting there is $3. US.
We will be back this year to Huatulco, but not this resort. We checked out some other resorts not far away from Las Brisas that have been updated and have edible food, and we will be staying there.
The staff at Las Brisas are all very nice, but a lot of prior staff have already starting working at the other resorts.
We tip very well and will continue to do that and encourage you to do the same.
This resort has gone fom a 4 star to a 3 at best.

Room Tip: Mer Section, 3rd floor with balcony, club section
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank ofd270
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I traveled here for business...a familarization tour for TAs, so I did not have a choice of what hotel I stayed in. We were working from 7AM-10PM every day touring many resorts in Huatulco, so didn't really have a lot of time to spend at the resort, but will give you my observations. Obviously, they went overboard to make my stay exceptional.
Pros:
Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Only problem I encountered was at the bar when I asked for an Absolut and tonic and was told they didn't have Absolut. One of my fellow agents told me he got Absolut. No big deal, as they offered me Smirnoff. The next day, I asked for Absolut and was again told they did not have it. I questioned it which turned into a 15 min conversation between the bartender & what I assume was the bar manager, along with a lengthy phone conversation with someone else. Come on...Smirnoff was fine with me...I had 1 hr to sit on the beach, just give me a drink! As it turned out...the bartender miraculously appeared with a bottle of Absolut!!! Very strange!!

Food:
Only had one dinner that was a special group dinner and it was exceptional. Held on the terrace near the bar & pool. Wonderful steak & lobster. Service was fantastic. Also had breakfast one morning. It was fair...typical all inclusive breakfast buffet. Nothing special, which is OK for breakfast.

Room:
I had a suite in the "blue" tower area. It was clean and very stark...no artwork or pictures. No homey feel to it. The terrace was huge, but again, no ambiance. 2 chairs and a small table. Not comfortable at all, however, the views were amazing. Definitely bring bug spray, as I was attacked by all sorts of bugs the minute I stepped foot on the terrace!!!
Bed was as hard as a rock!! I didn't get much sleep because of this. Very uncomfortable!
Bathroom was fantastic! Best part of the entire suite. Fabulous big shower, double sinks, hairdryer, great amenties basket. (shampoo, conditioner, lotions, etc)

Entertainment:
Absolutely the best that I saw at any of the resorts I visited!!! Live music was fantastic! Great band and lots of people dancing! Very fun! My co-workers that stayed at other resorts said entertainment was basically non-exsistant. Keep in mind...this was August and occupancy was at about 25%

Other
Beaches looked great, although I didn't have time to really use them.

Cons:
Biggest drawback is resort is built on a hillside and you have to call to get a ride from room to Lobby, beach, restaurants...at least from the blue tower suites. Several of my co-workers tried to walk up to the suites, got lost & exhausted, and had to call to be picked up. Some of the drivers drove so fast around the windy, bumpy paths that it was actually scary. If you have back or neck problems, don't ride in the back!!! Between the hard mattress and the shuttle, my back went out several times!
Once you arrive at the lobby, there is no restaurant, restroom, bar...anything...unless you walk down 3 flights of stairs.

Room Location:
The walkways to get to rooms were dark and dingy!!! They haven't seen the light of day for years and it shows!!! They smelled bad and were kind of moldy and gross.

Pools:
Small. If you've been to newer Mexican or Caribbean resorts, this is a much older resort and the pool seems like a very large backyard pool. It was OK, just different from resorts I've been to in the past 20 yrs.

Sadly, this is not a resort I would return to, mostly because of the inconvenience from room to beach, restaurants, lobby, bars, etc. It's just not for me! However, Huatulco is amazing and I will definitely go back!!!

If anyone has questions about Secrets, Dreams, Barcelo, Castillo, Camino Real, or Quinta Real, please ask.

Thanks!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
16 Thank Shi0418
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed at Las Brisas in Hautulco in July 2012 and loved it . We have have stayed at Las Brisas in Ixtapa 3 times before so we thought we would stay with a hotel chain we were familair with

Very friendly staff ,as to language communications , I would brush up a little on your spanish . We stayed at Ocean side suites , at first they tried to put us into a reguler room until we insisted we be moved to what we originally requested . However the private lounge area was closed which we were not told about before hand .
The view from our room was magnificant and we could see the Secrets and Dreams resorts down the bay from our location.
Here is a big issue though with the resort , Its very large and spread out and though you can walk or call for a shuttle to pick you up , its alot of walking up and down pathways and hills , especially where are room was , which was as far away from the main resort as you can get .So of you have bad knees, lungs or joints this is not for you .
The food was okay, we did enjoy the Morrocan restaurant , the rest were okay at best , we actually enjoyed the Buffett so we ate there most of the time, great breakfest and different themes each evening . The restaurants required advance reservations which we got a chuckle out of since they were always empty when we ate there . Go figure !!!!
We were the only Americans there and the resort was way under capacity so they had an intenet special going on for the locals, so alot of Mexicans and their families were there which left many areas a bit noisy , except where our room was located .
The Beach is great for snorkling , they supply sorkling gear or in my case I brought my own , they have 3 Beaches there and one is for teens, one for families and ours was more for couples .
I highly urge you to take a couple of trips into the town of La Cracita for shopping , its about 5 $ . Alot of fun vendors, but avoid " Monty Hall " Lets make a deal ( near the main Square ) ...for Jewelry no bargains there and the churchand mural are a must see ,there are also some good, cheap places to eat lunch.
One thing I can say is if you want to see a great unspoiled part of Mexico , go the Hautulco before its built up like the many towns up the coast from it are .
Lastly , Hautulco is very safe place to travel to. We never once felt uncomfortable anywhere we went and we have traveled Mexico quite a bit

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Michael S
Saskatchewan
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Two weeks February 2012. Over all we had a good vacation at Las Brisas with mostly sunny sky and friendly service. This resort was acceptably clean throughout. We ate good, had some fun and over all enjoyed our stay. I recommend this resort to anyone who enjoys warmer weather, a decent value offering a typical range of amenities and who are not particularly bothered by many stairs.

Service and food- Breakfast and supper buffet meals were acceptable, typical and comparable to this class of resort. We chose breakfast each morning in the restaurant next to the snorkel beach. One complaint I had was the slow table service at the supper buffet which left some meals without a drink unless you prefer self serve from the fountain and the person behind the counter refused to serve anyone but the waitress. The only line ups we encountered were here at the supper buffet. The food at the snack bar and grill in the outdoor court was very good and we ate noon meals here every day. We are typically buffet people but not at this resort. The four A-la-carts were all good by our standard and ate at each one twice. We also ordered steak and lobster through room service which turned out to be a huge meal with awesome display. Service throughout the rest of the resort was friendly and efficient. We requested a room change to a quieter section with a better ocean view and were promptly accommodated. Cleaning staff did a great job and surprised us with new towel art or decoration on our bed every day.

Grounds- The surrounding countryside looks dried over compared to the lush well kept irrigated grounds you will enjoy here. On the downside expect lots of walking uphill or down. The shuttle service was outstanding and with a smile but you will still have to use stairs to access the resort other than the lobby. Different wild life abounds here through out the grounds.

Beaches and snorkeling- There are three nice well kept beaches here and the fourth (secret beach) has no accommodation. There was no one soliciting on these beaches. We hung out mostly at the snorkel beach and thought the moveable palapas were a great idea allowing us to move closer to the ocean. Waiter service on the beach for drinks was provided every day. The ocean is warm enough here to enter without too much shock but still refreshing. If you waded out waist deep there was an abundance of small fish that would gather quickly around you in hoards if you offered them something to eat. I snorkeled almost every day and water clarity was very good in the shallows. I was aware of possible currents in the area but I didn’t notice any beyond the buoyed swimming area and around the corner toward the ocean. As you swam out, dollar sized jelly fish were noticeable and visibility was limited to about 10-12 feet. I couldn’t resist the temptation to go snorkeling at secret beach and to my surprise turned out to be a great place.

Room- Our second room was south facing #3232 (yellow tower) which had a nice south facing ocean view. The private balcony had room to sit in shade or full sun between 9 am and sunset. Take your binoculars. We watched whales from our balcony on three days and one day a spectacular jumping show lasted for about an hour until a boat came along and they moved first then disappeared when it followed. This room had separate dining room with a bar counter and small bar fridge restocked daily with pop and beer and we also used an ice machine located near the tower.

Rafting the Copalita- We were able to raft this river which was quite low causing us to get caught in the rocks a few times. This was the fifth river I’ve rafted in four countries and knowing the water levels were low wasn’t a deterrent as it is such a great way to see the scenic back country and culture traveling to and from the river. Much of this ride was through a deep valley on route to the put it point. The tour operator was very good and priced right but sadly I don’t remember the name. It was arraigned through the resort.

Money changing- When changing money at the front desk (Canadian accepted) it must not be defaced in any way or with even the slightest tear or it will be rejected.

Airline- Sunwing, we encountered a two hour delay departing from Huatulco and were not allowed in the terminal building (hot hot outside) and I felt sorry for children. When we were finally allowed in we were directly boarded with my wife assigned to row 10 and I in row 27. Then a long delay in Regina adding two hours before Saskatoon. We have encountered several other avoidable inconveniences when flying Sunwing in the past. Perhaps I expect too much but we are now giving consideration to who we will be flying with in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the main complex will receive light and noise from late night activities. The Y...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank 24funandsun
canada
Reviewed July 25, 2012

The arrival later in afternoon barely anything to eat in the sparce dishes i saw. AC in room puffed once a while. Very slow response from mtc. Finaly past 10 pm they reluctantly moved me in amuch better room. Shower flows out to wet all in the way. Food below average. Recycled food dolled out in new format. Bare minimum variety. seafood night only one sea food selection and that was awfull. millions of steps to climb for anywhere. u cant walk dont go.The middle east restuarant food barely warm. U a Non mexican dont go. as food is geared for for their taste but was so bland i wonder as mexicans ate seasoned food . service sucked. u want a refreshing any drink before 11 am..good luck. no one cared as the locals who came are nice folks not caring or knowing the diff. I will never go back ever. I have been to over 20 resorts and know what is what. was booked by a friend in mexico and was sold as 5* its strugling to be 3.5 . mostly pork rarely saw chicken dish. one lunch just pork n some silly veg. never any cheese than at dinner. simple fare. talked with head waiter. he did not care as all ate what wasfed. huge disjointed resort two small crappy beaches. all cent of attraction just near pool. from any rooms all too far to get unless you called in the transport car. its nature arround you but how long can be with nature if rest is so inconvinient. most rooms u need to climb or down many steps. even if i was paid to go i will pass. A pool in middle of resort with a swim up bar can help. the snack bar opened at 12 noon. Early swimmer early breakfast. stay hungry thirsty till anything is opened. sorry not one good from me. looks only for energetic young people as u just need to walk walk to get to anything. relaxing? not from what i saw. pool has barely any shade. a spot or two are pre grabbed by a few showing up after a long time.

Stayed July 2012
4 Thank malimu
SalesHuatulco, Guest Services at Las Brisas Huatulco, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
July 26th, 2012.
Bahías de Huatulco, Oax-México.

Thank you for the time to share your observations. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you had during your recent stay with us.

We appreciate your comments and we have taken note point by point of all the details, and you can be sure we will take an immediate action in order to improve our services.

Cordially,

Guest Services.
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband, daughter and I stayed at Las Brisas in March 2012. We had a great room overlooking the ocean in the Mars section. Lots of walking but after all the food and drinks, it's a smart thing to do. Make sure you hop on a trolley or two and tour around the resort - so many little surprise gardens and views from up high.

We had a great time except for...sigh... we don't normally take tours but thought we'd give the Paradise Found Bay Snorkel Tour. We snorkel a LOT so are pretty clear on what's good and what isn't... There were many, many problems with this tour but I'll just talk about two. This tour is more like a booze cruise than a snorkelling tour - don't get me wrong, we have NO problem with booze cruises... but at 9am? huh? when you signed up for snorkelling?

Anyway, the 2nd problem was that right from the beginning, the water was so rough that there was NO way you were going to be able to see anything. We saw a group of people nearly get crushed by a boat when loading up on the beach at one of our stops - the waves were so strong. The tour operator said that it was because of the earthquakes that had happened the day before... They had to have know the weather was NOT going to be good for snorkelling... however, they took all of our $50 each and went anyway. Anyway, be aware when booking this tour. Not always what's promised and no-one really wants to take responsibility for our dissatisfaction... oh well, live and learn. :)

ps: if you do decide to take this tour, don't eat the "lunch" they serve you out of the big green garbage can.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank TMAC20
Julio 26th, 2012.
Bahías de Huatulco, Oaxaca-México

Thank you for your comments it is great to know you really enjoyed your stay in Las Brisas Huatulco.
It is important you try to contact the Travel Agency you got the tour and send your comments, because it helps them to improve their service.
We are looking forward to have your prompt visit.

Cordially,