“First time all inclusive”

Hotel Castillo Huatulco Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We came 31 Dec - 8 Jan 13. First time for us going to an all inclusive and we couldn't afford one of the 5 stars so thought, what the heck, let's try it.
We enjoyed our stay very much. The hotel staff speak mostly Spanish but with a dictionary, charades and slow speaking you will have no trouble. Same with the town of La Crucesita. The food is "okay" but plentiful, and snacks like clubhouses, tortiallas and guacamole are just for the asking if you're not at the "meal time" and are still included. the beach is walking distance but the shuttle runs every 1/2 hour to and from. The town is also a 15 minute walk or a 25 pesos cab ride. Cabs are everywhere. The beach is where the "club house" is and again, food for lunch and drinks are all inclusive there. Some highlights to share for future visitors:
James and Magda, the Sunwing reps are great. Friendly and want to help you enjoy your stay to the fullest. There are is a little Sunwing office attached to the hotel as well and Muriel was very helpful when I was looking for an ATM that would accept my card. The one right outside the hotel did not but there are 3 banks on the strip that accept the Coast Capital card. There are markets right across the street. I didn't find the price for shirts etc to be any better than here but you can definitely barter. We went on a snorkeling excursion ($25CDN ea) and that was a good 4 hours. We got picked up (it was only the two of us that day) by a driver and Alfonso who snorkeled with us. Short drive to that beach and we were in the water the whole time. There was a restaurant at the beach and you are free to get out and eat, do whatever, but we and Alfonso spent the whole time in the water. Excellent guide, again extremely friendly. When in town (By town I refer to La Crucesita) you are greeted constantly by people offering good places to go. Javier runs a jewely store where he gives one free margarita whether you buy anything or not! Jordan I met each time I went and he just hands me cards and shows me places to go. Both remembered my name each time they saw me. Gorgeous church in town, a must visit! Very safe to walk everywhere! You can have a load of laundry done just down the street for 25 pesos or through the hotel but of course that is more than the laundry service. Same day service. don't remember the fella's name but you just walk down the street until you see the last hotel on the right and across the street from it is a shop with the Eiffel tower etched on the glass doors. If no on is there, he runs the restaurant at the hotel across the street. He's French, his wife is Columbia and he makes the BEST crepes! I had the banana with Nutella .. YUM! Across the street is another hotel called the Skippers Club. Go there for a massage, best deal we found. 50 minutes couples massage for 500 pesos ea!!!! and it's done at the Skippers Club beside the pool. They close the drapes (it's outdoors), the beds are side by side, plays the music and you just relax for 50 minutes. The owners name is Tomy and she does massages as well and will come to your hotel room if you prefer, but we enjoyed listening to the pool fountain and being under a thatched room etc. you can book the day you want it, not long wait and we had ours at 7pm. Gustavo is the bartender at the hotel we had often, always smiling and cheerful. You do get wifi but it's best in the restaurant. I couldnt access my hot mail from their computer room on the 2nd floor because the keyboard is a little different but you can use them anytime. you can also sometimes get wifi in the lobby area. We wanted to rent a scooter so the BEST place for that is to go to the Marina Park Plaza (short taxi 25 pesos or walk) and ask for Carlos. We rented it for 3 days (24 hour periods) and paid 800 pesos total. No paperwork nothing. Good guy. They rent them across the street as well but for 600 pesos a day!! We tried to go on the highway 200 but the scooter isn't meant for that. We did take it though to Copalita to see the "ruins". There is an archeological site there at $10 Cdn each + $1 for parking but I didnt' think personally it was worth the trip. Just past that though is a funky little restaurant, very Mexican, where we had Corona's for $1.50CDN and got to feed a parrot tortilla chips! The young boy behind the counter took me out back to show me his snake!! Thankfully in a cage. They make their tortillas by hand in a wood stove. You can watch the woman make them from your table. The dune buggy we didnt do but we heard great things about it. The only thing that sucked for us was that the shower didn't drain in our room properly so our first night we flooded water right out to the hallway and they had no other rooms available so we waited until 2am to get into our room. Staff though were quick to get on it and get it cleaned up. We learned not to put the shower on full blast because they don't have much of lip to keep th water in and put some towels down as an extra buffer along the edge. Rooms are clean and made daily. You get a bag of coffee and some chocolates in your room and a little bouquet of flowers. Again, staff are great but if you're looking for a something that caters to you more, has more selection for food etc, this is not what you want. This is a basic all inclusive but well worth the money and experience. And drinks must be watered down because I seldom drink and was putting back 10 or so margarita's a night and not feeling it but if I had a beer or glass of wine, phew, felt that tingle. Tip wise, the housekeepers won't take the 10 pesos we left each day so we learned to leave a note saying "for you" or giving it to them directly. Oh, almost forgot! We had pizza at Mama Mia's in town and it was good, excellent service again and thin crust. They are big though so consider sharing one for 90 pesos! The offer a little bit of bread and dips gratis when you sit down. I'd say the pizza is about 12". We made the mistake of ordering one each so basically had a full pizza to take back to the hotel, which we gave to the housekeepers and they were pretty pleased. Nice treat and it feels good to make someone happy. We also had pizza at Solo's in town. A thicker crust and cut in squares. Honestly, we prefered that pizza. What else? The surf pulls you in and spits you back out, I can't remember the last time I laughed so much!! until I took my husbands advice and swam out a bit instead of trying to fight the waves haha .. water is WARM :) and the sun is hot! Wear sunscreen. Bugs .. or yes .. little mosquitos because we got bitten all over so bring bug spray and anti histamines. Won't damper your trip and you don't even see them, you just get bitten. Wait to buy some liquor at the airport. Got Kaluah for $16 CDN and a Vodka for $11 CDN. But you can buy some things cheap at Super Che and some of the markets. You will rarely see someone with a watch on. My husband had lost his so it was quite an adventure trying to find one! When we finally did none of them worked!! I asked one why no one seems to wear a watch and he said "We'd be too busy worrying about being late instead of just enjoying life"! So go there ... enjoy ... relax ... enjoy living life.

Room Tip: To choose a good room ask for one on the 2nd floor. Those have actual verandas and lawn chairs
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank SaspKy

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I will start off by saying I got a GREAT deal for my family of 4 to get away last minute this Christmas to come and stay at this hotel. I was a little worried, I won't lie, but I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is NOT a mega resort of a fancy 5 star all inclusive, but we are not high rollers or people that need to stay somewhere fancy just to say we stayed at there. We are pretty simple, easy going travellers. The hotel itself is older and an open air concept, the lobby opens right up onto the street with a small driveway in between. There is a pool table, which I couldn't pull my teenager away from and a small lobby bar with tables and chairs. The hotel elevator was alittle scary and it did go out of service for 2 days while we stayed, so be prepared to climb stairs if you are staying above the first floor.

When we checked in we were given a room that was much too small for our family of 4, and we told my the desk clerk that he would look into getting us something bigger but we would have to stay the first night in this room, not a big deal, we were exhausted from our day of travel and need to get some rest. The next morning I checked in with the front desk about the larger room and was told they did infact have a Jr. Suite for us but it would be an extra $30.00 a night. I told her I would need to think about it and I would get back to her. When I went back to her to decline the room at an extra charge she told me no worries, she spoke to her boss and we could have to room for no charge!! WOW!! I was impressed. I was told to leave our bags in our room and they would be transfer to our new suite within 30 minutes and they were. Our new suite was great! It had a large king sized bed and bathroom on the main floor with a small balcony overlooking the pool. A spiral staircase, a bit scary and NOT meant for adults, took you to the loft where there were 2 double beds. Perfect room for a family of 4. I would highly recommend this room if you have children old enough to navigate a staircase. If not, they do have other rooms that I peeked into that look like they have a small living area with a futon like couch.

The best thing about this hotel is the staff. EVERYONE was great, we never encountered any rudeness and service in the dining area was prompt and courteous. The language barrier was there, but we always managed to find our way around it and got to know that staff that spoke better english.

The food is not the best, but we always found something that we liked either on the buffet or from the menu all inclusive guests could order from. Most of the guests at this hotel were Mexican and therefore the food reflected that with mainly local dishes, some were good and some scared me!

The beach club was nice, great views of the water but it was crowded. We went a couple of times and never could find chairs to sit on and the pool was crowded. We enjoyed sticking by the hotel for the pool as there never seemed to be anyone there and we always found chairs, our kids often had the pool to themselves.

La Crucecita is a beautiful little town and we loved the vibe and energy. We found, with recommendation from our Sunwing rep, a great pizza place called La Creama which is a MUST! BEST PIZZA EVER! Who knew??

The location of the hotel is great, walking distance to Santa Cruz beach and market (5 minutes) and even if you wanted you could walk to the beach club (15 minutes).

I never once felt unsafe or worried while here. We even let our teenager walk to the market by himself to look for treasures to bring home. We walked to beaches of Santa Cruz at night and spent time in La Crucecita as well and never felt uneasy.

Huatulco is beautiful there is no denying it. The beaches are lovely, the people are great and we will definitely be back. Will I stay here again?? Maybe.........Not sure that I loved enough to say yes for sure.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank backonthebike
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Huatulco is a beautiful area. The bays and beaches have much to offer. The safe villages of Santa Cruz (where the hotel is located) and La Crucecita are lovely and I never once felt unsafe. I would definitely plan another holiday in Huatulco. I would not book this hotel again. It was nice, good, but not great. The location is nice, near the marina, the beach, the bus shuttle is great, so there are many pros.

The hotel was clean, the staff was kind, the rooms were very small but clean. The pool area was nice.But overall everything is due for a facelift. I found the bar area to be crowded and often smoke filled, the evening lounge singer was VERY good but it all ended at 11pm and wait times for drinks could be long. The beach club is nice, but as others mentioned the beach is quite unsafe for swimming.

Each day our bed was made up with a beautiful flower patten. Roses were in the room with a plate of fruit. The room only had standing room without a true balcony (only standing room on the poolside of the hotel).

The food is the main issue. Breakfasts were good, lunch at the beach club was simple but nice, the dinners were not good. The upside, the money you save reserving this hotel will allow you to head out for dinner. Of the 5 other groups of travellers who also stayed at the Castillo, all said they would return to the area, all said they would choose a different hotel. Mostly due to the food.
The exception was on Fiesta Night - the food was awesome (the entertainment - not so much). New Year's eve, they did an AMAZING job with setting up the decor and with the event. The downside, the overworked staff could not be all places at once, few were available to make, serve food or drinks leading up to the event (I understand they were shortstaffed). Other food options outside the hotel - The Café Huatulco in the centre of the nearby park makes an excellent burger and awesome coffee! La Crema was WAY overated we waited 2 full hours for good but not great pizza. Fresh fish lunches/dinners are available at all the beaches.

Magdalena our Sunwing Rep was wonderful, patient and genuine. Other staff was excellent as well, but I thought she deserved a special mention.

Next time I think we will stay at the nearby hotel Benniguenda. About the same size but newly renovated in 2012.

5  Thank travel_buzz2007
Reviewed December 29, 2012

When I booked our holiday in September my husband wasn't sure that he wanted to go back to Huatulco again this year as we had been there in February and this was going to be our 4th time at the same hotel. BUT at the end of our vacation when we were due to go home he commented that he didn't want to leave ... ever!!

The Hotel Castillo is perfect for us - we spent Christmas Eve there and had a wonderful time. The Christmas party at the Salon in the hotel was great, we danced with friends and staff at the hotel who couldn't speak much English and we couldn't speak much French or Spanish - it was fun!

Breakfast was always good. We walked to the beach club every day for the buffet lunch (a 10-15 mins walk), and sometimes ordered off the smaller menu. We enjoyed excellent coffee at the Cafe Huatulco in the Santa Cruz square every few days, and in the little town of La Crucecita, a short cab or bus ride away.

The staff, as always were wonderful. They remembered us from our previous visits and were so welcoming and happy to help in any way ...
Ricardo in the lobby
Carlos
Gustavo at the lobby bar
All the front desk staff were always extremely helpful
Maria Raquel, Marisol, Freddie,
Araceli, Monserrat (from the Beach Club)
In fact, all the staff were outstanding - absolutely worthy recipients of our tips.

This is not a party hotel, but is quiet, small and friendly.

7  Thank SuzVic
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This was our second time in Huatulco, and probably not our last. We enjoyed our stay from
the first day, when we found a welcome letter with some roses and a fruit basket from Gabriel
the sales manager, waiting for us in our room. We asked for a front facing room with a kingsize
bed and terrace and got moved to this the second day of our stay. We can not say enough
good things about the staff, they continually did what they could to make our stay as great
as possible. The location is good for walking access to the Santa Cruz marina, village center,
cruise terminal and of course Santa cruz beach. Low cost taxi access to the the nearby bays
and small towns is a plus. The Castillo has included the use of their beach club at Play Chahue
which is readily accessable via their shuttle bus which goes about every 30 minutes mexican time. The club has a great pool, a wonderful clean beach with palapas to hide from the sun and a dining area. Again the staff at the beach club go out of their way to make your stay
memorable. The ocean beach does require a good swimming ability, but there is always the
pool. The only negative we have to add is about the food, it seemed to us to be very inconsistent. Some days the meals were excellent other days not so much. Breakfast was
always great. Of course taste is a personal thing so I don't want to dwell on this,I think if we
could have ordered ala cart from a slightly larger menu it would have been better. We hope
to get back to Huatulco again, and to the Castillo. Ricardo the bell hop and all the other staff
including the front desk ladies, always had a smile for us and we thank them dearly.

Room Tip: rooms on the second floor, facing the street, away from the lobby have a nice terrace to relax on...
2  Thank RosedaleBcRetirees
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We arrived home on Dec 4 from the Castillo and what a great time we had. We were a bit worried that we would miss the ocean view from Tangalunda Bay, but no worries there. We enjoyed being by the harbour more. The room was great, we had a balcony room, the grounds are very pretty by the pool and the staff is terrific, especially Gustavo the bar tender and Ricardo, the bell hop. Don't book tours through Sunwing but go to the marina and get a better deal. Martin found us and took us out in a panga for the whole day doing just what we asked for, ending up at San Augustino. He also arranged a road trip up the coast. Other days were spent at L'Entrega and Maguay beaches. With the good deal from Sunwing, we had money left for dinners out. In fact, it was very busy with families over the weekend, with lots of kids running around, so a perfect time to leave the hotel. I did take my own coffee maker for early morning java, as they don't supply one. This is a very friendly place to stay and we enjoyed the company of all we met. We are definately looking forward to another trip to the Castillo. Please be generous and tip the employees well. Their wages are small and depend on tips.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Heather C
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We have been to Huatulco 5 times in February and have never had a bug bite so I think it was time of year for her visit. Its funny almost all of her review other than that is 100% what we feel about Huatulco and the rooms. Thanks for sharing.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple