“Enjoy the beach at La Bocana too!”

Bocana del Rio Copalita Archaeological Zone
Ranked #18 of 58 things to do in Huatulco
Huatulco, Mexico
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Enjoy the beach at La Bocana too!”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The Copalita ruins and ecological park are a good daytrip. The museum is top notch, the ruins are very small, but the hike is wonderful. Going out is all uphill, so take water and take it easy. The boardwalks and staircases are pretty cool, and the views of the ocean near the end are just lovely. We had an overcast day, so it wasn't too hot, but on a sunny day go early!!!

What we missed on our first visit was the fantastic beach at La Bocana. If you see the eco park and ruins early in the day, then you'll have time to enjoy the fabulous surf and wildlife on the beach and maybe have a drink and snacks at one of the pretty beach palapas.

After the snorkeling and sunning beaches of Playa Entrega, Playa Santa Cruz and Tangolunda Bay, we found Playa La Bocana to be a sheer delight because it is so rugged, so wild and so different than the others.

We have so many pics it's easiest to share a link to our collection of photos from La Bocana: http://roadslesstraveled.us/sailing-mexico-blog-playa-la-bocana-huatulco-mexico/

Visited December 2012
2 Thank CatzzzzByyyy

Valleyview, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great place and amazing history”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Our guide, Marco, was very knowledgable and the ruins are fantastic, we didn't get a chance to see the whole area but what we did see was fantastic, the look out point has an amazing view. They are still in the process of expanding the site, we can't wait to go back and see more

1 Thank Marilyn J
Prince Albert, Canada
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Small site, but well maintained”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Ive never been to a ruins, so this was nice. Very quiet, and lots to see. Some paths were closed and only one bathroom in the complex, so if your a km away, it could be trouble. Only 8 bucks.

1 Thank Paeddy
British Columbia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Fun Time”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We went to La Bocana for the mud bath and ended up staying the day. We ate at one of the 2 local restaurants. The mud bath is worth doing, our skin felt really good afterwards.

4 Thank hola-bc
Kenosha, Wisconsin
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A very nice experience”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I had a wonderful time walking through this site. The museum is small but very well done. The interesting part for me was the walk through the whole site. The view is unbelievable of the Rio Copalita as it runs into the ocean. I was by myself and one of the employees who lives in the area walked me around and explained the archeological sites to me. He was so sweet. He even came looking for me when I took a little longer than I should have on the walk. I think this is an excellent choice to visit for anyone who likes archeology or just likes to walk and soak up nature. Again--the views are awesome.

1 Thank larosablanca1964