Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa
Villas Fa-Sol(Crucecita)
$203
$108
  • Breakfast included
Las Brisas Huatulco(Huatulco)(Great Value!)
$115
$110
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Villablanca Huatulco(Huatulco)(Great Value!)
$59
$53
Hotels.com
Princess Mayev Hotel(Huatulco)(Great Value!)
$55
Quinta Bella Huatulco(Huatulco)(Great Value!)
$73
Bookit.com
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
4,655 results
All reviewssky barcin cinmarket cafebarefoot grillspice restaurantfrench restaurantswim up roomcastaways restaurantpreferred clubswim up barfrosted glasssugar reefocean viewhydrotherapy circuitcoco cafequiet poolcoarse sand
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Just spent 8 days at Secrets, where I met relatives for our yearly get-together. While having dinner at Spice Restaurant, we noticed some commotion at the next table and saw the couple sitting there at the time walked out. We inquired about the reason why they had left without finishing their dinner. We were told that a big roach was under their table. Being that we were in the middle of the jungle, we didn't think much of it and stayed. We saw how an employee seemed to have stepped on the roach and killed it. As we continued to eat our dinner and ignore the incident, we noticed that an exterminator walked in through the door, ready to fumigate underneath the table next to ours. I asked the manager if they could wait until we finished our dinner to spray, but he refused-claiming that the product was organic. Needless to say, we walked out as the area was being sprayed. We immediately proceed to complaint to the manager in turn, Margarita [---]. She apologized and promised to look into the incident and provide us with a list of ingredients contained in the solution we had just been exposed to. We spoke with Margarita a total of two times after that and a few more times with her assistant, Luis [---] and got nothing but excuses as to why the list of ingredients could not be given to us. As a person who suffers with migraines, it is very important to me to know what I was exposed to, but unfortunately they were not willing to share the information.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
10  Thank Florina C
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Dear Florina C,

We thank you very much for sharing us this message, it is very important for the hotel to have the feedback of our guests.

In this frame, we are truly sorry again about what happened at the Spice restaurant.

We can ensure you that the products that we are using to fumigate are biodegradable and they are guarenteed by Rainforest Alliance (http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/es) and Cristal Check Safety First (http://www.checksafetyfirst.com/).

I personally spoke with Margarita, she told me that she is going to contact you directly to your email at the soonest possible.

Regards,

Aurélien Pichereau
General Manager Assistant of the Hotel

Reviewed July 9, 2014

This was my third stay at Secrets. I previously stayed at Maroma and Capri in Playa del Carmen. Secrets Huatulco is AMAZING. It’s a secluded, very quiet resort with spectacular views. A big plus that there are more locals there than drunken, loud foreigners. The staff is superbly trained and polite. They do everything possible to make your stay comfortable and relaxed.

The spa of any Secrets resort if a worth the price, but the spa in this resort is unforgettable, not only because of services offered, but of the views. Situated on the hill, with infinity pool and most spectacular views. With any massage service, they offer free hydrotherapy session. Definitely try it. I spent in the spa almost a day and it was hard to leave.

I usually don’t make any comments about food in all-inclusive, I enjoy pretty much everything they offer, especially when I stay at Secrets, but to be honest, I was not very impressed by the food at Secrets Huatulco. My complaint is a misrepresentation of some of the local dishes. I often travel to Oaxaca State and I absolutely love local cuisine. Secrets Huatulco had some of the Oaxacan dishes on the menu, like mole negro, mole coloradito and chilaquiles. All of them was a huge miss. Mole coloradito is a not a diluted tomato sauce and chilaquiles is not a mole covered tortilla chips. I would suggest either make the dish right or not serve it at all, otherwise it’s simply a misrepresentation. I have to say that the buffet at the Mexical restaurant was very good. Horchata, Agua de Jamaica, black mole and ensalada de nopales that night were very good. For anyone interested in trying true Oaxacan cuisine, make a stop in Oaxaca, you will be mesmerized by the beauty and richness of that city.

I would also suggest to go and check other resorts like Quinta Real. It’s spectacular and their breakfast menu has some amazing local dishes like Huevos Veracrusanos and Huevos Oaxacenos. Plus the resort is spectacular.

As to Secrets Huatulco, I will definitely be back.

Suggestion to the hotel: please have a more reliable, stable WiFi. I could barely get connected in my room. Today, WiFi should not be an issue at all, especially in expensive hotels/resorts.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LenaG
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear LenaG:

First of all let me thank you for your message and staying at our resort in your past vacations.

Let me assure you that your feedback is very important and that we will take in account your comments; since our mission is to offer the best quality service to our guests.

It has been our pleasure to attend you in Secrets and we hope to see you again.

We wish you a pleasant day and week,

Best regards.

Aurelien Pichereau

Reviewed July 8, 2014

In March of 2014 we traveled to the Secrets Resort in Huatulco, Mexico. This was our first visit to a Secrets Resort and to Huatulco; we were not disappointed with either. Our trip was booked through Apple Vacations via Alt Air Travel in St. Louis, MO. Becky was phenomenal in planning our trip. Our flight was non stop from St. Louis to Huatulco via Frontier Airlines.

Upon arrival at the Huatulco Airport, (a small, but lovely airport) our Apple representative was waiting for us and quickly delivered us to the van that would be taking us to the Resort. Marco was wonderful - -professional, polite and very conversant. The trip took about 30 minutes but we were stopped for construction issues a few times.

Upon arrival at the resort we were whisked away to a private check in area as we chose the Preferred Club option. This area was available to us throughout the whole trip. There was a continental breakfast each morning, computers with internet, an evening bar and a library of books for your reading pleasure.

After check in we proceeded to our rooms. We were in Room 3117 - here is how you breakdown the room numbers - 3 represents the building you are in, 1 represents the floor you are on and 17 is your room number. We were unable to secure a swim out room however we were very pleased with our room as it had a small patio and grassy area. We had a wonderful view of the ocean. The rooms on the upper floors have a small walk out balcony; no grassy area. The room was very nice with upgraded toiletries. I was quite surprised to see that the sunscreen they provided is what I use - Australian Gold. The shower is to die for - it took me a while to figure it out (I am primarily a bath taker so this is always a challenge no matter where I travel). So, the bathroom door is frosted glass; get over it - you want to spend your time outdoors not in the bathroom all day! Housekeeping services were excellent. We had service in the morning and evening. Our bed was decorated daily with flowers and/or towel designs. Each morning we received the daily Sundial (Resort newsletter) which we appreciated as it had listed the day's activities as well as restaurant schedules, drink of the day, etc.

We are early risers so every morning we were at the pool by 6:30 a.m. which allowed me to do water aerobics in a near empty pool. We met many wonderful people at this resort who were also early risers and this early time at the pool allowed us to visit before things got moving.

The pools are lovely. When first arriving and checking out the pool areas; the large pool to the left is the party pool; music, swim up bar, water games; the middle pool is smaller and quieter; the pool all the way to right is where we hung out - very quiet, able to visit, fantastic views of the ocean, a stone's throw to the beach and water activities. My husband and I are in our late 50's so we enjoyed the quiet pool. The pools were well maintained however we did have a few days where the wind blew over the umbrellas. Let's talk towels - as you enter the pool area, there are large brown baskets with beach towels in them. I had no problem getting a towel at 7am. There are other locations around the pool for towels but at 7am the brown baskets were my go to location.

The weather was phenomenal - blue skies and lots of sun. Bring the sun screen; start high and work your way down to a lower SPF. This is what we did and we did not burn at all. We traveled March 7 through 14 and had no issues with mosquitoes.

For the beach I strongly recommend bringing water shoes. The sand is hot and grainy. It is not the white, powdered sugar sand, say of Abacos Island, however it is a lovely beach just come prepared. My husband swam in the ocean and found it delightful.

Let's talk food - I take little stock in others' comments regarding food because everyone's palate is different. We did not have a bad meal. My favorite - the grill by the pool - if it would have been open for dinner - I would have eaten there every evening - great grilled burgers, hot dogs, wings,nachos and the best guacamole (not too spicy). However, we tried each restaurant and the buffets. A good dinner was had by all. Buffet breakfast in the mornings had a great variety for everyone. Make sure you stop by the coffee bar on the 2nd level.

The Spa is magnificent. Entering the spa was an immediate feeling of relaxation. The staff was kind and professional (Rene, Yaret, Delores). I scheduled a hot stone massage and it is the best that I have ever had. I'd say this is a must but schedule upon arrival. The view from the Spa is unbelievable.

The pool staff was very friendly. Our waiters, Salvador and Juana, knew our drinks and were very accommodating.

We did not do any of the excursions offered as we go on vacation for relaxation. We did travel into town one evening to see the church and town. Marco recommended a restaurant for dinner and we were not disappointed (I wish I could remember the name of it!).

One thing I did find unusual as compared to traveling in the States - typically upon arrival at a U.S. hotel, you provide your credit card # for any incidentals. At Secrets I had to provide a dollar amount that was applied to my credit card. Upon leaving, I had to make sure that I received a credit for monies not spent.

Please remember that you are a guest in another country - make every attempt to learn their language - even if it's a few words - it is very much appreciated by all members of the staff. Also, remember you are on vacation - a time to relax; a time to chill - there's no need to be in a hurry or rude to people. Sometimes I am embarassed by my fellow U.S. Travelers' behavior.

Is Huatulco a repeat destination? You betcha! We really enjoyed ourselves and the resort. Thank you Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa.

Room Tip: Either a swim out room or Preferred Club (really enjoyed walking out our patio door to small sitting area and the grassy knoll)
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
13  Thank Donnaannmarie
Reviewed July 2, 2014

My husband and I just spent a week here (end of June) to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary. We were both very impressed with this resort. The resort was pretty quiet overall and seemed to mostly be couples 30s-60s. I would not go here if you are looking for a major party resort, but if you want a peaceful and romantic getaway this is perfect.

Rooms: LOVED. We were in room 3315. I believe all rooms at this resort have a stunning ocean view. Room was clean, bed was super comfy. There is a safe, closet, separate jetted tub and shower, balcony, little sitting/eating area, double sinks, and a large desk. iPod docking station/clock. Yes the doors to the shower/tub and the toilet are partially frosted glass, didn't bother my hubby and myself but might if you go with friends or family. Though this seemed to mostly be a couples resort.

Location: Isolated but not far from many attractions. This resort has plenty of taxis and they are pretty inexpensive. In USD, cab to Playa Entrega was 12.00 each way, 6.00 to La Crucecita, and 4.00 to La Bocana and the mud baths. Few beach vendors at the resort but not overwhelming. Only downside of location was on the way to and from the resort there was a pretty bad sewer smell.

Beach: Some days the beach was a beautiful green and others it was kind of brownish. I think there is a river nearby that drains into the ocean. We went swimming in it one day and it was nice. There is a roped off area to swim that doesn't have as many rocks. The sand as people have said is pretty coarse and HOT. Def. wear your flip flops. We had no issue getting palapas, but we were there in low season and I'm guessing resort was only 30-40% full.

Pools: Huge and nice swim up bar and views out to the cliffs and beach. One again, low season so very uncrowded and no trouble at all getting a chair and umbrella. Beach towel pickup and drop off is available near the pools.

Restaurants: Food overall was pretty good especially for an all inclusive. During low season they only had 2-3 of the restaurants open each night, but we still didn't have a wait any night except for at the Italian. They did two themed nights at the buffett- one night was Mexican and one Brazilian. Also tried the Asian, Seafood, French, Mexican restaurants. Market Cafe buffett for lunch and breakfast was also decent overall. I've had better buffets at all inclusives but wasn't bad. Castaways for lunch a la carte had stunning views and pretty good food.

Service: Def. 5 star. I think this resort wins for best customer service. Super friendly staff always trying to go out of their way to help you. Maid did a great job, all our servers were awesome, lobby staff was great. Also did turn down service in the evenings. Kudos to Secrets in this dept. The friendliness really makes a vacation that much better. Some workers spoke more English than others, but me trying to talk in the little Spanish I knew meant a lot to them.

Spa: LOVED. The view from the massage rooms and the infinity pool is stunning. We did the hydrotherapy (different massage stations in the pool, sauna, steam room, cold showers) and a 50 min. couples massage. They were doing a vacation club thing that if you attended most 50 min. treatments were only $40. If you are probably going to be in the spa a lot it is probably worth your while. They are doing pretty steep discounts because of low season on its own, like 40-50% off. I think they want people to experience the spa and spread the word. And yes I am spreading the word and thought the spa was stellar. Other guests we chatted with also loved the spa.

Overall and tips: I know not related to the hotel but everyone asks about the weather. It said 50-60% chance of rain everyday and it didn't really rain the whole week we were there. Overcast on and off but was kind of a relief from the sun. Bring sunscreen and aloe. Super expensive at resort. I wore 70spf every two hours and still got burned on a snorkel tour. Aloe was 17.00 US at the hotel. The mosquitos were also brutal. This is not the hotel's fault and it was rainy season, but ya they were def. out. Wore Off with Deet most times and still got a few bites. When wasn't wearing it got eaten alive. The hotel was bringing spray to people during the outdoor Brazilian dinner night.

We had our package here through Apple Vacations using them for the first time. We were very impressed and would go back again. Huatulco is quite a gem and I'll be surprised if it stays hidden for long. If Cancun and Cabo etc. are too overdeveloped for you, give Huatulco a chance. I also felt VERY safe in this area. We were in downtown at 10:30 at night and it was mostly families walking around and hanging out.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank travelinteacher1282
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

It was our pleasure to have the opportunity to host your holidays. I am glad to know how much you enjoyed spending time at our hotel and spa highlighted by our staff’s attentiveness. Our mission is to create memories by exceeding our guests expectations and I'm very pleased to read that we accomplished this goal during your stay. I look forward to welcome you back in the near future and provide you another incredible experience.

Best regards,

Aurelien Pichereau

Reviewed July 2, 2014

My wife and I treated ourselves to a week at this resort for our 25th anniversary. The view and the accomodations were outstanding. We had a swim-out room whcih we used each day, a great addition! The staff is excellent, housekeeping did a great job and Jose and Marvella, from the Barracuda Bar were always available for drinks from the bar. The entertainment staff works very hard and tries to involve all the guests. Special shout-outs for Miguel and Faviola! Although we were pleased with the overall vacation, there were several disappointments. The food was ok, but not great. We expected an abundance of seafood items, but they were very few seafood entrees. The beach, due to the rough surf and riptides was dangerous and unusable, which was also a major disappointment.

Overall very nice resort; however the quality of the food and inability to swim in the ocean were major disappointment.

Room Tip: Although more expensive, the swim-out rooms are well worth it
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark C
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear guest,

We appreciate your message, it is very important for us to receive a feedback from our guests; in order to take measures to improve our services, when needed.

In this frame, let me assure you that we will take in account your comments.

We hope to welcome you back at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa. Please don´t hesitate to contact us if you come back, and have a special request for your future stay.

Best regards,