“POOLS ARE BEYOND GROSS!!!”

Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Like most other reviews , this resort is great !! Weather is perfect , food/service was great , grounds are very well kept however I am left wondering why no one is mentioning how gross the pools are ?!?!?
To look at them they are gorgeous , however once in them the water is very cloudy and the outer walls are covered with black mold in the grout!!! Our bathing suits never once smelt like chorine either - kinda gross if you think about it ! Although we did see the pool boys testing the water a few times during our week long stay , it really doesn't seem like they did anything . Come on Secrets - this is not the image you want to portray !! Start shocking the pools so that they are sanitary for your guests

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank E A
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your message, it is very important for our hotel to receive the feedback of our guests, in order to take measures to improve our services when needed.

In this frame be sure we will take in account your comments.

We hope to see you soon again at our Resort.

Best regards,

Aurélien Pichereau
General Manager Assistant
a_gerencia.sechu@secretsresorts.com

Reviewed March 29, 2014

I write this review while having intense gastro discomfort :-((((((Unfortunately, our decision to go to this all-inclusive resort was made too quick and I disregarded the negative comments. Upon our return, I looked them up and many of our complaints were the same as previous ones. Ditto to setting....easy check-in...and smiling workers...beautiful ocean, but not a green flag beach. Having said this, the negatives outweigh the positive and we will never return to Secrets and for that matter any all-inclusive.
Firstly, we realized that the mentality behind the all inclusive is sadly for most....eat and drink more than necessary and be as loud and obnoxious as possible. This behaviour kept us from the pool which....as noted by other guests was inhabited by people who were there to do just that and were never seen leaving the pool to use the washrooms...yuk! The water was at a very unrefreshing temperature (probably due to oppressive 98 degrees) but felt like swimming in a toilet.
We changed rooms immediately so as not to look down on roofs but rather the pool and ocean but then you are in the zone for party central....shouting guests (l:30am....where was security?????) as well as hearing the thumping music, etc. etc.
We found the rooms pleasant although had to eventually write a note to replace bed runner due to some nasty looking stains....even when put out to replace, the maid only turned it over to hide the stains!!! Having said this the beds were very comfortable as well as nice sheets and overall good maid service. Sound proofing turned out to be a problem for us as we could hear the television being used next door....word for word....not just mumbling...probably someone hard of hearing and were woken up one night by some poor soul retching :-( Also we were not able to use our balcony as the people next door were smokers....perhaps some buildings should be designated for non smokers?
Food was deplorable except for a couple of meals (Mexican restaurant, Oceana). Couldn't believe that mexicans would serve up nachos with that horrible fake orange stuff you get at sports games.....where was the gooey real cheese.....even the burgers at the pool side were rubbery. Most of our meals were of a very mediocre quality.....i.e. buffets were not in the least visually enticing (i.e broccoli and cauliflower boiled beyond recognition and many other dishes were very overcooked and looked inedible). The worst meal we had was at the Japanese teppan....After quite a bit of fan fare just getting a reservation, we were stunned to find that the whole meal was smothered in margarine (lite!!!!!) Honestly, who would even think of using this for oriental cooking....buy a cook book and read about peanut oil, sesame oil, cocconut oil) Sadly this meal was inedible due to the salt and margarine content and we left feeling disappointed as well as overheated (don't do this kind of meal if you are wishing to escape the heat! as you are right up against the grill and the air con doesn't work very well) A lot of fanfare but again poor quality. Breakfast was passable due to many choices....most on the sweet side.....speaking of which even the desserts were barely passable.....unbelievable.
The service was very attentive but overdone. These young people work very hard and have lovely earnest smiles and we tipped accordingly but someone needs to tell them to tone it down and just let people eat without constantly barging in to either remove plates or ask if you want something more. Our conversations were always being interrupted buy this well meaning behaviour.
Another negative about this Secrets is that it has nothing interesting to do outside of the hotel. Tried going into La Crucita but found it very uninteresting and dirtly. Found some reasonably priced sunscreen and toiletries only to have them stolen by the taxi driver. Realized that we had forgotten them in the taxi....all of this in 5 minutes....to be told by the driver that they were not in the taxi....his word against ours!!!! :-( Had no choice but to buy some at the resort at hugely inflated price to find out that the aerosole function was faulty....what ensued was an incredibly 45 minute fiasco trying to exchange the faulty for one that worked!!!!! Finally after the issue was looked at by 5 people, all the while with us standing in the non aircondition shop....I took the problem up with head conciege Luis who very professionally solved the problem.
Another problem for us was the entertainment game with the well meaning entertainment team which I think is designed to appeal to people who have had one too many. The loud, repetitive music and yelling. You get the feeling that the tourists are looked upon as uneducated and unsophisticated and that is what you get. Even the "floor shows" are outdated and uninteresting.
The biggest disappoint was the umbrella game and for those of us who wanted to be close to the ocean and not lined up like sardines along the poolside or palapas.....you had to get up at the crack of dawn to hopefully reserve your umbrella and then hope to God that it was still yours while you gobbled down your breakfast! Seriously how much could WORKING....most were broken, battered by the wind...umbrellas cost. There was so much empty beach which could have been utilized. This was our vacation and it would have been nice to sleep in sometimes. Then when you tried to have a nap to make up for lost sleep....the vendors actually had the nerve to wake you up. I thought that this kind of badgering was not allowed at this resort!!!!
On the somewhat positive side, I was able to convince the water sports people to let us use a home made paddle so that I could stand up paddleboard on a windsurfing board. This was a plus but am wondering why a few paddleboards (very popular sport now) could not have been bought as well as decent paddles....not the broom stick handle one that Victor managed to come up with. These guys work very hard and I was grateful for their attention bringing the heavy windsurfer in and out of the water for me. Another plus would have been a actual windsurfer as they had the board. later in our trip I saw that the sail was hidden out of sight.
I will also say that the trip to the airport was a bit of a disappointment. We were VERY STRONGLY told that after we checked in (one agent for all the non optimum people which was the most of us) that we should stay in the outside area and not go through Gate B as there was nothing beyond that. We did just that and practically melted in our travelling clothes and low and behold when we did go through Gate B....what did we find? airconditioning and interesting shops!!!!!! This can only be due to some kickbacks given by the fast food places outside. Interesting to note that most of the people in this cool Gate B area were Mexicans so I can only assume that we poor tourists were the unfortunate ones......very deceitful!!!!
I will endeavour to avoid AirTransat and their lack of seat space, washrooms, professional staff and nickel and diming you for basic stuff.....awful way to travel! Our ride home was painful as I was starting to feel the effects of a stomach distress which must have been from something I ate at the airport waiting lounge. I spent the 5 + hours praying that I could hold out til I got home as it would have been really embarrasing tying up the one out two washrooms for the whole plane. We were careful and took the Duculax vaccine but we still managed to get stung at the airport.

I think that this was our last trip to Mexico for many of the above reasons but we still have some fond memories of our first trip to Playa del Carmen (Playacar Palace) which we remember fondly because of great food, lovely servers who knew how to please, many close amenities and a lovely little shopping area full of interesting items....not the standard tourist stuff.

3  Thank ines z
Reviewed March 28, 2014

The playmakers at this resort are awesome! They are always smiling and making guests laugh. They have a way of making guests feel like they are at home at the resort. In particular Miguel, Faviola, Mia, Carla and Alex were the most amazing in our opinion. They had such a great rapport not only with us and our traveling companions but to everyone they spoke to. They were good natured and down right comedic! We had so much fun with them and look forward to seeing them all again...

2  Thank KraziBabi
Reviewed March 27, 2014

My partner and I just returned from another week in Huatulco. Having visited in December we were excited to return.

Check-in was a breeze and we were very surprised to be upgraded to a junior suite with a great swim out room (for a very reasonable charge). During our visit there was a heat wave which had the temperatures ranging from 36 to 43 degrees (HOT HOT HOT). The pool is huge, but after a couple of days it became very warm, almost like hot tub water. I don't think we would return as late in the year again, the temperature and humidity made it very hot, almost uncomfortable at times.

The food was great, would be awesome if the room service menu was expanded and possibly a new daily or weekly feature would be a nice addition.

During this stay and the last I was bitten by "no see-um's" and when I got up the next day they were really itchy. Got a tip from a dermatologist vacationing at the resort and it worked. A dab of Vicks Vap o Rub takes away the itching and redness. They sell it in the gift shop but I'd bring some from home in case they run out. It works really well!

Internet access was once again an issue. There is no access in the room or poolside which was frustrating. There is great access at the Skybar but that is far away from most rooms. Investment in wi-fi would be much appreciated.

The service was once again fantastic. We tip, even though it is an all inclusive resort, the staff work for a pittance and my partner and I believe that if we can afford to travel we can afford to tip. We took US $1 bills but when we ran out the front desk had lots for change. It was appreciated, remembered and the service was incredible. I know those that don't tip also got great service but we are big believers in sharing our blessings!

We will certainly return to Secrets Huatulco. It's worth the trip!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit this wonderful review! I'm sure this will be very helpful to our guests. I encourage you to keep my contact information and please let me know when you are ready to come home again.

Aurelien Pichereau
General Manager Assistant
a_gerencia.sechu@secretsresorts.com

Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was our second trip to Secrets Huatulco during March break. As with our first experience the food, the staff and room were top notch. Our travel agent requested that we get the same room we had on our first trip. This was arranged and as a repeat guest we were surprised with a bottle of champagne and some fruit in our room when we arrived, nice touch! Our room was close to the spa end of the resort. You get a breath taking view from the third floor and it is very quiet at all times.
I can't find fault with anything at the resort except for the lack of shade at the pool and the beach. The hotel REALLY needs to put in some palm trees and more palapas at the beach, this would help curb any disputes over the shaded lounges. We have never personally witnessed a problem but there is definitely potential as seen on YOUTUBE.
All the restaurants are first come first served and this seems to work quite well, to bad other hotels wouldn't follow this practise. We ordered room service as well. The wait time for our dinner order was short and the food was hot and very tasty.
The ocean is probably not the best place to swim because of the dangerous conditions. The Secrets beach is nice and you can also walk to the neighbouring beach for another beautiful view. I wouldn't recommend swimming here either.
We went into Santa Cruz for a short visit (6 US dollars each way by cab for up to 4 passengers). This is about 15 minutes away. While walking around we stopped at Juanita's Café for lunch. This small 18 seat restaurant is owned by a lady from Montreal. Very friendly staff with excellent food, cold drinks and a nice second floor view of the surroundings.
I would return to Secrets for a third time and would expect that the service and accommodations would as good as ever.

Room Tip: Higher floors have unrestricted views of the beautiful bay.
3  Thank DarellMc
Reviewed March 26, 2014

This resort is excellent with one exception . There is very little shade to be found . Now you might think ...hey your going to Mexico for sun ,no ? This is very true ,however at 37 degrees plus humidity 50 SPF barely works and you'd will need a rest from the sun and heat here trust me .I mentioned this to the resort and I believe this wasn't the first time it was brought to their attention . Now that I have mentioned this be forewarned this place is so clean you can eat off the floor lol , the people are very very helpful and friendly. One example I will share is one evening a women in our party dropped her ear ring through the floor boards at one of the bars. Within minutes they had floor boards ripped up to find it, And we didn't even ask them to. Whoa!
We viewed whales jumping while in the upper pool overlooking the ocean , where do you find that? The food is great and the service is as well , although I have seen better in this category It's was as good as most . The rooms are awesome , where else can you have a shower and look out at the ocean vista at the same time .... Not many and that is the standard room.
So in summary. It's hottttttttt in huatulco and humid which is good but the resort really needs to build better shade areas or at the very least double the umbrellas available . I am burnt to a crisp lol. Secrets people if you read this get it together because a resort of this quality needs to provide details as such as there are numerous people unhappy with the lack of shade . Another point is to shock the lower pool more. Yuk it's was cloudy the whole time we were there .

Room Tip: Take lots of sun screen and higher SPF than you are used too and a hat. Take a snorkel and mask a...
4  Thank B N
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was a very beautiful resort. The staff was excellent. The activity directors, Fabeola and Mieguel were great. Magdalena was our waitress by the pool bar. She was so much fun. The bar tenders, Isaul, Aramdo, Ricardo, Isaul, Guadalupe & Dolando, did a great job. The only complaint I really have is the fact that they advertise Bud Light, but it's pretty hard to find. Budweiser was available, but was also limited. You have to specify the top shelf liquor for drinks or they will give you rail. Rooms were clean. The sun in very intense. Make sure to take and use sunscreen. We kept 50 on our feet all week long. The food was average, but the Spice Restaurant was very good. This was the 8th time for us to go all inclusive, and by far was the best trip we've had yet.

Room Tip: We were in building 6. We liked it because it was close to the pool. Building 5 would be good also...
2  Thank Kay N