“Quiet and Relaxing”

Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My husband and I wanted a relaxing and quiet place to escape to and this was it! If you are looking for a wild party place....this is not for you. The atmosphere was relaxed and serene as the landscape and ocean views. The swim up bar pool area is the only area where some music can be heard during the day, otherwise get a good book or enjoy a conversation with fellow travellers beside the pool areas. The temperatures are as they claim HOT and so is the pool water...not very refreshing at all. So we would take a swim in the ocean at the far end of the bay.The sand is very hot as well, so watershoes are recommended. The snorkeling at this bay is okay but not anything special. Pool service is awesome as is all the restaurant service. Top notch employees eager to please and very friendly and most speak English. The food is fantastic and the entertainer, Jorge, was awesomel in the lounge, We were in building 5 which is central and our room was spacious and we loved the balcony and the ocean view. Although I was not impressed with the wooden floor shower stall. It was a bit moldy, so we wore flip flops in the shower. The beds were very firm and the bedding was all new. The air conditioner work great and overall our room was great. The shower area is separate from the toilet area, and both are glass doors, so keep that in mind, when you open your hotel door to the hallway as the shower area can be seen from the hotel door. Go into the surrounding towns as they are interesting and give you a taste of Mexico. The hotel as pretty as it is, does not really have a Mexican flavour to the décor. Instead it is very modern and white. We enjoyed our stay and would return.

Room Tip: Building five central to pool areas and restaurant access.
1  Thank Karen K
There are newer reviews for Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We went to Secrets in Huatulco in June 2013. The resort was lovely. Upon arrival, we had a problem with our room. They put us in a handicap room which we were not satisfied with. We were moved to a King room which is what we had booked and gave us (and the couple that was us) a romantic dinner on the beach.

Pool: The pool staff was awesome!!! The waiters as well as the entertainment crew!!! The pool did have missing tiles, but this wasn't a problem for us. There are two big pools - one is quieter than the other so if you don't want to be with others you can get away peacefully!!. The bigger pool is where the swim up bar is located.

The nightly entertainment was great as well. The food was very good --our only issue was that every restaurant wasn't open every night.

If you are a beach person, I'm not sure if you would enjoy the resort. The sand extremely hot and the water is very very rough. We are pool people so again this did not bother us. If you booked thru Apple, they have an "APPLE" party --this was very nice!!!

This is our second Secrets resort. Last, we went to Punta Cana and this summer we are going to Silversands.

You are in a remote location---we like that--but close enough to go into town. Very safe!!! Oneday we went fishing with a local guy named Pelo.

Room Tip: Not sure if I would upgrade to Preferred Club we did that it made a difference.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Love2Travel570
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was my husband and I's second time coming to Secrets in Huatulco and it will be our last. Last year when we traveled to the hotel we found it absolutely delightful. The service was spot on and the hotel was amazing. We were so pleased with our experience we came back this year and brought my parents with as well. I will break down into categories my view on the hotel and its accommodations.

Hotel building and location:
The hotel is nestled in a beautiful private cove in the area. You have ocean views from virtually every point on the resort. Last year when we traveled here everything seemed to be in top condition and all the amenities were great. This year however we noticed that the public restrooms were always dirty beyond use and the buildings themselves were cracked and worse for wear. Our room was great and had very little visible damage to it. Stay in building 5. It has great views and it is the perfect blend of being close to the pool and the restaurants.

Food and beverages:
The hotel boasts 7 different restaurants and a different themed buffet every night. The food was sometimes really good and then if you went to the same exact restaurant the next night it would be awful. I would say my biggest concern with the food was it was inconsistent. The previous year everything we tasted was excellent and now not so great. The hotel does have top shelf liquor (Grey Goose, Crown Royal Ect) but you have to ask for it, they keep it under the shelves. I did notice that they have become more frugal on the amount of alcohol they give you in a drink. I watched the bartenders make a drink and maybe a half of shot was used for a full drink. So if you want to taste the alcohol in your drink make sure you ask for a double or triple.

Activates:
The hotel always has something going on that can accommodate a very active person or someone who is looking for slight adventure. There aren’t nightly shows at this hotel like many others I have been to but they still try to make things fun for their guests.

Pools:
If you want a decent pool chair and location be ready to rise at the crack of dawn to save your spot. We had to get up every day at 4am to save chairs to ensure we had a spot. It seems everyone rises early here and all do the towel over the chair charade. Once you do find a seat the pools are very big so there is plenty of space once you are in the water. For the most part they were kept clean.

Things to do while you are there:
I highly recommend the 7 bays Jet Ski tour. Huatulco is so beautiful and on this tour you get a fun way of exploring the area. You go only as fast as you’re comfortable with and they throw in a little snorkeling as well. We also went deep sea fishing this year which was amazing. We booked under Crisanto Carmona and we had a blast with him. I caught a big Mahi Mahi and the rest of our group caught several small tuna’s. The two towns in the area are also very beautiful and full of fun things to do. I would suggest doing at least one thing off the resort.

Service:
This part of our experience at Secrets was my least favorite. From the time we arrived to when we left we were treated horribly. I consider myself a very polite person with good manners, yet we were treated as if we were the scum of the earth during our trip. My parents would almost always never be served at the bars even when they tipped with $5's. When were would ask questions to the concierge service with would get rude replays and they would act like we were bothering them. I think the cumulative act of bad service happened on our last night at the hotel. Earlier in the week we had booked a dinner reservation for 4 people at their tempenaki dinner. This is a special dinner you have to make reservations for and we were looking forward to it to celebrate our last night in Mexico. Friday morning my husband when to the concierge desk to pick up our reservation slip that confirmed our time of 7:30pm for that Friday for 4 people. When we went down to the restaurant for dinner they said we had missed our reservation time and it was for 7pm not 7:30. We showed them our ticket and to make a long story short they treated us very poorly and handled the situation horribly. They never apologized for the situation which made everything worse. We ended up going to a different restaurant instead and missed out on the fun experience of the tempenaki dinner. When we went back to our room after eating some member of the staff had come into our room and placed an updated reservation ticket on the bed staying we were now at 7pm instead of 7:30. I know for a fact that ticket was not there when we left for dinner since it was placed in the center of the bed and I had been sitting there just before we left with no ticket in sight. I think it's pretty distasteful to try to cover their butts and make it look like we had mixed up rather than just admit their mistake. We spoke to several other couples at the resort and this same situation happened to them too. For this shady behavior above all we will not ever travel to another Secrets chain again. My family and I value honesty and integrity and clearly this hotel has neither.

Room Tip: Stay ing building 5, great views!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Emily S
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear Emily S,

We thank you very much for taking the time to share this message. It is very important for us to receive a feedback of the experience of our guests; so that we can take measures to improve our services if needed.

In this frame, we would be very grateful if you can send us a more detailed message about our Food & Beverages services (in which bars and restaurants did you experience what you are telling us? and when did it occur?), and our staff service in general.

We are sorry to know that we didn't fulfill your expectations, please don´t hesitate to contact us to this email if you decide to come back: a_gerencia.sechu@secretsresorts.com

Be sure you will live this time a wonderful experience at our Resort & Spa.

Regards,

Aurélien Pichereau
a_gerencia.sechu@secretsresorts.com

Reviewed March 23, 2014

To put this review in perspective - we have traveled to 13+ All-Inclusive resorts in the past 18 yrs. Most of the resorts we have stayed at have been 5 Apple (Apple Vacations rating scale is 1-6). This was the 1st 6 Apple and 1st Adult Only we have ever stayed at - and it definitely met the rating standards:
They had the most efficient check-in service we have ever experienced - if every hotel followed their simple process it would be fabulous. We were off the bus and checked in within 15 minutes. Most comfortable beds I ever slept on in any of the All-Inclusives we have stayed at. These beds were so comfortable it was hard to get up in the morning.
Rooms were always clean, mini-bar filled with what we asked for.
Balcony was very roomy - some resorts have such a small balcony you can barely sit with legs out. This had plenty of room.
Some people complain about the lack of chairs / umbrellas - Based on my experience, this resort had the most chairs and umbrella's per capita I have seen at any of the resorts I went to. In addition, we can blame the resort for the whole saving of chairs - but it is not the resort that is causing it is the guests - yes we need to take the credit/blame for this as we are the ones getting up early to put towels out if there are specific areas we want to sit near. I found that if you didn't care where you sat at the pool or on the beach you could easily find a chair. It is also the guests that might put towels down at 5am and then not show up until after their excursion at 3pm - again, that is not the resorts fault. If the resort spent their time policing our rudeness then we would just be complaining about having to wait for drinks, not being serviced fast enough, etc. Everyone talks about the saving of chairs with towels - I think people just have to get over it and just do what you need to to spend your day at the most desirable spot for you - you will have a much more positive experience.
We ate at Spice (twice), Cin Cin, Castaway and Oceana -- all were very good and had great service. Loved the fact that we did not have to make reservations. We do struggle with the having to wear pants for dinner - but it is true if you were willing to sit on the patio (which is usually our preference anyway) you can come in shorts. Again - the reason this needs to be put into place is because it is the guests that do not know what is "reasonable" and what is meant by "dress shorts". There are people who would think that their cargo shorts with all the pockets are dress shorts or maybe some longer swim trunks. I personally did not see that they were overly picky - we have been to a lot worse and most resorts do ask for this in their literature so Secrets is not different.
One last thing that we really appreciated is that they almost always had top shelf alcohol at all the bars. They would use rail alcohol if you didn't specifically as for Bacardi, Stoli, etc. but if you asked they were quick to give you what you requested.
LOVE this report and will definitely go back!

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd Floor of Building 5 - right where we requested to be. It was quiet, we could go...
2  Thank scootergals
Reviewed March 23, 2014

This is our fifth trip to is resort and it remains our choice of choices when comes to all inclusive stays. I must mention a few of the exceptional staff there that always make our visit memorable. Luis, head. Concierge; Fillipe, executive chef; Jerry with food and beverage; Sophia, Captain at the Market Cafe; Nemero, Captain at Spice; Renaldo, Captain at Boudreaux; Salvadore, Mardeli, and Magdalina pool wait staff and our amazing housekeeper Soledad. There are many more that make our stay there amazing I just did not write down all the names. A special thanks to Alan for the romantic dinner on huge beach, even though my wife was sick that evening, we had a grand time.

The spa is amazing and we had much needed massages. The weather as always was hot and not humid. Bring plenty of sun screen and use it frequently. Over the two week period we only took one excursion, hired a private boat so when we were done, we would not interrupt anyone else's trip. We stopped near the marina for lunch and had one of the most amazing margaritas ever, sorry don't recall the name. I will find it again.

As far as all the negatives report here, I completely disagree with your remarks. If you had a bad experience, or something was not up to your expectations and you failed to bring it to a managers attention, then shame on you. Every time there has been an issue, no matter how small, it was immediately addressed to our satisfaction. All you need to do is notify someone and the attentive staff will fix it, just ask. All in all the most outstanding resort we have ever been to. Thanks for the time and we will see everyone again beginning May 10, 2014.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rick D
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear guest:

First of all let me thank you for your message and staying at our resort in your past vacations.

Let me assure you that your feedback is very important and that we will take in account your comments; since our mission is to offer the best quality service to our guests.

It has been our pleasure to attend you in Secrets and we hope to see you again.

We wish you a pleasant day and week,

Best regards.

Aurelien Pichereau
General Manager Assistant

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Booking: We booked directly through Secrets as I couldn't find a 10 day holiday out of Canada. We flew to Houston for some business and then departed from Houston for a 2 1/2 hour flight to Huatulco.

Rooms: All are ocean facing. We were on the third floor in building 6 and had a great view. We did have issues with our room. When we initially checked in one of the sinks was plugged and the safe didn't work. They were fixed immediately. The shower had a very bad moldly smell. They have wood slats on the floor in the shower which cant be moved so I don't even want to know what's growing underneath. Then the issues with the keys began. They would suddenly not work. After the third time the resort exchanged the key mechanism. Still didn't solve the problem so after a couple more trips to have our keys rekeyed....again.... we asked to be moved. The morning of our move my husband was in the shower and water started pouring out of the light in the shower. Eek! We called right away so that they were aware of the issue.
We were moved a couple of doors down to the same type of room. Only issue here was the light switch in the toilet area didn't work. Whatever. Beds were a little harder than I like, but otherwise the rooms are great. There is a little cubby under the safe to put your dirty glasses, bottles, etc. It opens from the outside for the staff to access... that's why that door has a latch.

Weather: HOT...HOT...HOT! We are not the type to sit under umbrellas and you search them out at this resort. If you want hot, sunny weather, look no further.

Pools: Lots to choose from but all were very warm because of the air temperature.

Beach: The sand is very coarse and gets extremely hot. I would recommend water shoes. Snorkeling was nothing special.

Spa. Awesome! Had an 80 minute massage which included 90 minutes of hydro therapy beforehand.

Food: Awesome! Love the no wristband and no reservation policy for restaurants (except Spice must be reserved if you want an inside table). Never had a bad meal.

Staff: Outstanding! There were a couple of bartenders who could grab a personality, but other than that, everyone is there to ensure you have an amazing time.

Money: If you purchase something at the resort with money, other than pesos, be prepared to bring your passport. Its a pain, but its to help money laundering... Not sure anyone is going to try and launder money by purchasing 2 stamps for 2 bucks... but hey.... them's the rules.

Entertainment: We played lot of water volleyball and had a blast. Also partook in yoga and stretching. The Entertainment staff are great with Tricky Micky leading the way. Thanks for all of the laughs!

Crucecita: Worth a $6 cab ride into town. We got dropped off at the main square and walked around to shops. Search out the textile store. They have looms and make the goods locally onsite. Amazing clothing, tablecloths, etc.

This resort would easily get 5 stars except for all of the issues with the rooms. Didn't affect our trip as we took everything in stride and things were dealt with right away.

4  Thank wally98765
Reviewed March 23, 2014

My wife and I just returned from a week of fun in the sun at Secrets Huatulco. We visited the resort last year and there was a litany of problems which completely turned me off to the resort, however my wife loved the clear skies and 95 degree weather every day, so back we went this year.
From my understanding, a new management team is in place and it shows! There wasn't a single thing this year that management could do to make our stay any better. Also, there was not the continual complaining about everything amongst the guests. I literally did not hear a single complaint all week long.

We stayed in room 6116 a swim out one room suite and all I can say is WOW! It is literally TWO ROOMS and was right in front of the main pool swim up bar. Awesome room and location.

Secrets offers pool and beach waiter service and these folks do a fantastic job! They make it super easy to kick back and relax. Whether you tip or not, they make their rounds and always offer service with a polite smile. We usually tipped about $5 a day, but it isn't expected.

Our housekeeper was an extremely hard working young man. Our room was always left in a state of disarray in the morning and in the afternoon, viola! it was back to immaculate condition, too bad it don't work like that at home!!!

Our favorite restaurants were Spice and Castaways. The French restaurant, Bourdeax, is nice, but I really wish the would up grade the seating, the plastic beach chairs really takes away from the atmosphere of the place.

The bars were all well stocked and drinks flowed freely.

The preferred club has been moved and is in a much better location now. The staff there was very helpful and informative.

The only detractor from our stay was the rude guests! Operating at 97% occupancy while we were there, needless to say the place was packed. Usually, I read on here about how the American tourist is rude self servicing etc. The guests at Huatulco were approximately 70% Canadian, and they have the TOWEL GAME down to a science. Every morning they were up staking out 4, 5, 6 loungers and umbrellas for their still sleeping friends. Management is pretty much in a catch 22 in this instance and if the guests would exercise some common sense and civility toward each other this wouldn't be an issue at all, "A"

Make sure you bring AMPLE sun screen, the sun is I N T E N S E!!! If you have a fair complexion, you may even want to consider a swim shirt, because you will get lots of sun even through tshirts!

The nightly entertainment is still lacking, but they do try hard. One problem is the theater's location. Perhaps they should move some of the entertainment to outdoors around the pool or beach areas.

Our stay this year was a complete 180 degree turn around from last year. We will definitely be back and look forward to seeing many of the same smiling faces from our previous two stays.

Unfortunately, this little unspoiled nugget (Huatulco) may not be so secretive anymore and rumor has it more resorts are moving into the area. Part of the allure of this part of Mexico is the unspoiled beauty and lack of over commercialization like in the Mayan Riveria. The airport has already expanded since last year.

Bottom line.....Thanks to the entire staff for a fantastic week. See you soon!

Room Tip: Pick a category other than Jacuzzi suite. The Jacuzzis are very close together.
2  Thank dave3232