My wife and I just returned from a week of fun in the sun at Secrets Huatulco. We visited the resort last year and there was a litany of problems which completely turned me off to the resort, however my wife loved the clear skies and 95 degree weather every day, so back we went this year.
From my understanding, a new management team is in place and it shows! There wasn't a single thing this year that management could do to make our stay any better. Also, there was not the continual complaining about everything amongst the guests. I literally did not hear a single complaint all week long.
We stayed in room 6116 a swim out one room suite and all I can say is WOW! It is literally TWO ROOMS and was right in front of the main pool swim up bar. Awesome room and location.
Secrets offers pool and beach waiter service and these folks do a fantastic job! They make it super easy to kick back and relax. Whether you tip or not, they make their rounds and always offer service with a polite smile. We usually tipped about $5 a day, but it isn't expected.
Our housekeeper was an extremely hard working young man. Our room was always left in a state of disarray in the morning and in the afternoon, viola! it was back to immaculate condition, too bad it don't work like that at home!!!
Our favorite restaurants were Spice and Castaways. The French restaurant, Bourdeax, is nice, but I really wish the would up grade the seating, the plastic beach chairs really takes away from the atmosphere of the place.
The bars were all well stocked and drinks flowed freely.
The preferred club has been moved and is in a much better location now. The staff there was very helpful and informative.
The only detractor from our stay was the rude guests! Operating at 97% occupancy while we were there, needless to say the place was packed. Usually, I read on here about how the American tourist is rude self servicing etc. The guests at Huatulco were approximately 70% Canadian, and they have the TOWEL GAME down to a science. Every morning they were up staking out 4, 5, 6 loungers and umbrellas for their still sleeping friends. Management is pretty much in a catch 22 in this instance and if the guests would exercise some common sense and civility toward each other this wouldn't be an issue at all, "A"
Make sure you bring AMPLE sun screen, the sun is I N T E N S E!!! If you have a fair complexion, you may even want to consider a swim shirt, because you will get lots of sun even through tshirts!
The nightly entertainment is still lacking, but they do try hard. One problem is the theater's location. Perhaps they should move some of the entertainment to outdoors around the pool or beach areas.
Our stay this year was a complete 180 degree turn around from last year. We will definitely be back and look forward to seeing many of the same smiling faces from our previous two stays.
Unfortunately, this little unspoiled nugget (Huatulco) may not be so secretive anymore and rumor has it more resorts are moving into the area. Part of the allure of this part of Mexico is the unspoiled beauty and lack of over commercialization like in the Mayan Riveria. The airport has already expanded since last year.
Bottom line.....Thanks to the entire staff for a fantastic week. See you soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The enchanting Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa sits on the Pacific coast in Huatulco - a sustainable tourism destination recognized for its commitment to the local environment. Beautifully secluded on the Conejos Bay, guests at Secrets Huatulco are treated to divine views of golden sand beaches, stunning rock formations and sapphire waters. Exclusive Unlimited-Luxury(R) amenities start with limitless gourmet fare and top-shelf spirits, pool and beach wait service, and 24-hour room and concierge services. While 399 gorgeous suites offer daily refreshed mini-bar, spectacular views, plus a furnished balcony, terrace Jacuzzi, or swim-out pool access. Take part in daily activities and nightly entertainment, or a pampering treatment at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia. Guests can even spend a night out with the Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience at the nearby Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, to enjoy more fine dining and entertainment. Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa - Enchanting. Secluded. Divine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Huatulco Hotel Huatulco
- Secrets Huatulco Resort And Spa