“Secrets Huatulco Top 10 List”

Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Here are, well, at least I think, the top 10 things folks need to know if you are considering this hotel:

#10 - This is a unique and very cool location. You can see the pictures and it doesn't really do justice to the changes in elevation and gorgeous vistas. Even the pools are at different elevations.
#9 - The towel on the chairs reservation game competition is fierce, even epic. If you want a great spot on the pool or beach, 7AM is too late to even try. Secrets Huatulco makes whatever you've seen before pale in comparison. The hotel can't do anything about it without upsetting hundreds of customers - it's us patrons that are acting like idiots. Consider it part of the charm of the place and don't let it bum you out.
#8 - The little town there, Crucecitas, is a $6 (USD) ride away - nice little place with good food all around the little central park. It was nice to see something far less commercialized than Cancun and Play Del Carmen.
#7 - The rooms, bars, and ammenities are what you would expect of a hotel of this caliber. Our travelling partners thought the Preferred Club rooms weren't worth the extra money.
#6 - The beach is, like everything there, gorgeous. The sand is very coarse, very difficult to walk on, and there is a LARGE elevation change (I dunno - 30, 40 feet?) to get from the water to the pool area. We saw maybe 10 people get in the ice water known as the Pacific Ocean all week.
#5 - If you try to buy anything in the gift shops with foreign currency, you need your passport. Seriously - I asked why and they said their bank required it. Oh, and by the way, the airport is a great place to buy souvenirs on the way home.
#4 - The food is really good - the buffets have a good selection. We did the Barefoot grill every day for lunch (which, by the way, has fantastic chili dogs which I would never have thought would taste good on a hot day), the Oceana, Cin-Cin, and Spice restaurants - all were very good.
#2 - The Skye bar is the ultimate in unique locations at a beach resort we have ever seen.
And the number one thing you need to know about this place (drum roll, please):
#1- The weather there is almost always fantastic. We were kind of amazed when clouds showed up for a couple of hours one afternoon. 95-99 (deg F) feels like mid 80's because of the lower humidity and breeze.

Yes - we will go back again. Loved it.

Room Tip: The second or third floor in any of the 6 buildings has a better view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank gtherm
Write a ReviewReviews (4,254)

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Stayed march 4-11 (still here) this is by far the best service in all of my travels! Big thank you to iileana ponce for fulfilling our request to be near our travel companions! The swim up suites are fabulous we enjoyed the lower party pool expecially Magdalena who took care of every request and always said " it's my pleasure" she made us feel so welcome! All of the staff smile and will stop on a dime to help you with any request! The food is great the grounds are outstanding! I could go on and on but I will just say we will be back!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Upperlynnjj
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel. Even the elevator ride has amazing views. We loved our room and view. Third floor has great view of pool and beach. Service was prompt and friendly. All inclusive food was great, a lot to choose from. I miss this place!!! Would definitely go back!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Terdav0208
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Beautiful weather and resort. No sweater needed even after dinner. Resort is well laid out and rooms are great with a nice rain shower and jaccuzi tub overlooking the ocean. Food was overall very good with some excellent items. Have lunch at the restaurant instead of the buffet. Not only is it a great spot overlooking the beach but the ceviche, shrimp fajitas and desserts were fantastic. All the infinity pools were lovely. Value for money rates lower because I paid a premium for a later booking. If you get this resort under $2000 it will be worth every dollar. Would return anytime.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank ang_other
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for your message. We are pleased to know that you liked our service and installations, and we appreciate that you are sharing it through our Trip Advisor account.

We hope you will have the opportunity to come back again to our resort.

Best regards,

Aurelien Pichereau
General Manager Assistant of the Hotel

Reviewed March 6, 2014

I won't bore you rehashing what everyone else is saying, this place is great. So I only have a couple of observations. We have been to numerous all inclusives and I have never had better service from all the staff. I've never gotten served drinks on the beach like they did here. I've never had my clothes that I left out folded in my room when I came back from the beach. I never encountered one staff member with a attitude, they are always smiling and quick with a hello....so my point is Tip! Yes it is all inclusive but too many people are so demanding and so obnoxious it is really upsetting. These people work extremely hard for very little...if you can afford this vacation you can afford to tip. Also to all the smokers...I don't care if you smoke, but don't use the beach as your personal ashtray, the workers here pick up your butts, you are the most disgusting people there.

Stayed: February 2014
10  Thank wiserforit
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We just got home from a week's stay at Secrets Huatulco. We've never been to a Secrets property or the Pacific side of Mexico, so we were excited for a new experience.

Check-in - Was incredibly quick - seriously around 1 minute. They have their check-in process very fine-tuned! A nice, cold towel and cold beer or champagne were given to us upon arrival. Luggage was delivered to our room within 10 minutes of our arrival. We were in building 4, top floor - loved our view - incredible ocean view. The room was amazing - king bed, great shower, lots of drawer space, double sink area, sliding doors that opened up to an incredible ocean view from the jaccuzzi tub/shower. Sure the toilet area has a glass door, but it isn't seen from the bedroom portion of the room. They had given us a few extras for our anniversary celebration which was nice. I had requested top floor room and king-sized bed, and those requests were given to us, which was really nice.

Beach - gorgeous golden sand - kind of pebbly and lots of little shells, but still beautiful. Was quite a sloped beach and, like others have said, gets VERY hot in the the afternoon, so shoes were needed! The ocean water was nice and clear; we swam in the ocean every day in the roped off swimming area. Fairly calm water, just big swells and then the waves would break right at the beach area. We used the hobie cats almost everyday, went kayaking, and went snorkeling to the left of the resort off the beach and saw some neat fish. The water sports guys were great - very friendly and ready to help.

Rooms - as I said before, by far the nicest room we've ever had. Large, quiet, cleaned by noon every day. Housekeeping did a great job. We went to bed too early for turndown service, but I think they took note of our schedule, and they started coming while we were out for supper, and we would come back to our room and find it all prepared for us. Amazing, attentive staff.

Pools - beautiful infinity pools. Our favorite was the quiet pool, although we did have fun playing water volleyball everyday in the activity pool. Poolside service was incredible. Jose Luis was an amazing server - such a nice man - really a hard worker. Every 10 to 15 minutes he would be by to see if we needed anything. Never have had such great drink service at the pool area before at any resort we have been to. Honestly, this resort was ridiculous for the towel game. People up at 4:30 with flashlights (so we heard someone bragging) to save chairs. Seriously???? We always got up at 6:30 and got coffee to go sit at the pool and always found a nice area to sit in with an umbrella, but there didn't seem to be many options much later than that. After lunch it seemed to get better and it was easy to move to a different area and find empty chairs.

Food - a la cartes were great. Evening buffets did not have as much variety as other resorts we have been to. Our favorite a la cartes were the Italian, Japanese, and the French. The others were still good, just not quite as good. We made reservations for the tepanyaki show tablet at the Japanese restaurant our first day there, and we were glad we did. The next 3 evenings only had 9 o'clock seatings. We got a reservation for our 4th evening there for the 6:30 seating, which suited us way better. So, book your reservations right away to make sure you can get in at least once during your stay. Breakfast at the main buffet was good, we just preferred the quieter atmosphere at the Mexican restaurant for breakfast. Very good, typical breakfast buffet. The lady who made the omelettes at the Mexican restaurant was very cheerful and pleasant each morning. Coco Cafe also was a favorite - super staff and a great way to start the day down at the pool or beach, sipping a delicious cappuccino. We loved the Barefoot Grill for lunch - great food, and really quick. Castaways was nice too, but we waited a long time for our food there and felt we were wasting precious beach/pool time. Room service was tasty and quick - we ordered this after not finding much on the evening buffet that interested us. Drinks were all really good too - their savignon blanc wine was actually quite good. Coronitas in the room fridge were always refreshing too after a long day in the sun. Bottled water readily available at the bars and in room fridges.

Spa - Incredible! We booked the couples massage - was amazing. The 1 1/2 hydrotherapy cycle before the massage was super - they walked us through each step which was nice. The massage was 50 minutes and was the best massage I've ever had. The panoramic ocean view was breathtaking. Very clean. Very friendly staff at the spa as well.

Staff - The best! Every worker we met went out of their way to be friendly and assist. From the hostesses at the a la cartes, the servers, the housekeepers, concierge - really they were all fabulous. I accidentally left my tablet in the room service cubby in our room that is accessible from the outside hallway. When I went to look for it, it was gone and figured someone had stolen it because of my dumb mistake. A few hours later, a note appeared in the same cubby, saying that we should go to the concierge to pick up an item that was found in our room service cubby. The security staff does routine checks down the hallways, found my tablet, and put it away for safekeeping. So impressed with the staff!

Weather - Hot! Best weather we've every had on vacation, and we hear it's consistently good in Huatulco. No clouds during the day, the wind sometimes picked up in the early afternoon, but it stayed hot into the evening. Mornings were our favorite time - still warm outside but perfect temperature to go and sit and have coffee by the pool. There were a few mosquitoes out before the sun came up, though.

Wifi - We actually could get wifi in our room - was a tad slow, but good enough to send and check messages. I think lots of people needed to be in the lobby or in the sky bar to get a good signal, but we found our room to be just fine to pick up a signal. They do have a business centre where you can use their computers for no charge.

Entertainment - Entertainment staff very friendly - only really did water sports with them. Didn't go to any shows in the evening - too tired! Live music in the sky bar every night - sounded great, but again, we didn't stick around to enjoy.

Check-out:

Off resort - We walked to La Bocana Beach - loved it! Did the mud bath and just sat and watched the early morning surfers play in the waves. We also went into La Crucecita to do shopping, and that was fun too - neat area to go and explore. Taxis are readily available - just talk to the bellboy at the lobby, and he will call one for you - they are just waiting on the road just outside of the resort. After our morning out shopping, we were greeted with a "welcome home" from him. Such great service!

Check out - also quick and painless - completed a quick survey the night before and the day we left, simply handed in our keys at the front desk.

Overall, we loved Huatulco and loved Secrets. Loved the adults-only and the modern feel of the resort. Friendly staff who definitely go out of their way. Beautiful scenery. Relaxing pools. Incredible rooms. Unbeatable weather - so much sunshine! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank RRiderSSK
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stayed at Secrets Feb 11- 18- this review will likely just mirror a lot of the other excellent reviews, so will keep it short

Resort is beautiful- clean, amazing view, beautiful grounds, lots of flowers, check in was a breeze- went right to the buffet for a snack- by the time we ate and got to our room, luggage was there

Rooms are beautiful- very clean, they filled our vase with flowers every day, I loved the big shower- you can open the wall to the room for an amazing view of the ocean

Bed was huge, clean, and super comfortable

Large balcony – but the walls don’t go right to the railing, so someone could fit in between the space to access your balcony- just lock your door

Gym is adequate but small, spa looked nice, but we didn’t have any treatments

Pool area is nice, lots of chairs- we never really had a problem getting a chair, and most times could get chairs with shade

Beach is nice and you can make use of the kayaks, paddleboards and mini sail boats

Food was excellent, occasionally my fish was over cooked, but mostly every meal was great- each night they set up a themed buffet- we went to the French restaurant on the night that the Italian was closed bc it was that buffet night- I felt bad for the servers, they just could not keep up, and I wanted the duck, sold out, my husband wanted the chateaubriand, sold out- I wish we had gone on another night- something to keep in mind- each day there is a list of which restaurants are closed that night

All other restaurants were good- service the odd time was poor, at the Italian our waiter completely disappeared- we sat with finished plates for so long, we finally just left- but this was a rarity
The resort set up a nice romantic dinner for Valentine’s day- they did a great job

Service was great at lobby bar, but lack of seating especially when there was entertainment

Coca Café was good- but out of the way- we stayed at Dreams in Puerto Vallarta and it was so convenient to get a coffee, snack, etc bc its in the middle of the resort

We went to La Crucecita and Santa Cruz one day- not a lot to do here and we went to La Bocana beach one day as well- we actually went for a run there, its not far from the resort and it’s a great surfing place with some bars

We booked a boat with Gilberto- you’ll find him on the beach- just my husband and I for about 4 hours one morning- $220CAD for both of us- we fished, saw sea turtles and dolphins, it was great- and he’s cheaper than booking through the resort

I would recommend this place to anyone, and I would be back – we loved that there are no kids allowed

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank d-ray-toronto
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear guest:

First of all let me thank you for your message and staying at our resort in your past vacations.

Let me assure you that your feedback is very important and that we will take in account your comments; since our mission is to offer the best quality service to our guests.

It has been our pleasure to attend you in Secrets and we hope to see you again.

We wish you a pleasant day and week,

Best regards.