“A Secret in Huatulco”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Eagan, Minnesota
“A Secret in Huatulco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

My wife and I were looking for somewhere special for our 25th wedding anniversary, and man did my wife find it. This was our first experience at an all-inclusive and Secrets did not disappoint us. Everything from the cool wash cloths when we arrived until the day we had to leave was tremendous. Staff was extremely nice, bar tenders were fun and the food was great.

Our room was spectacular, very clean, and the view was unbelievable. We tell everyone about this place. I am one that does not want to return to the same place for a vacation as I think there are too many places to see and visit, but I have changed my mind and we are returning in January 2014! If you like being treated like royalty, and are sick of the cruise boat scene, this is the place for you.

Keith & Debby

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Minnesota2014
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you very much for sharing us your last experience at our resort & spa. It is our pleasure to welcome our guest and make feel good and pampered during its stay, and we appreciate to know that you had a great last stay with us.

We are looking forward for your stay on this month.

Please don't hesitate to contact us for any other information needed, via email: concierge.sechu@secretsresorts.com / a_gerencia.sechu@secretsresorts.com

General Manager Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,198)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I should have posted this sooner, but better late than never.

Huatulco is definitely a gem, I can see why people enjoy it so much. Very romantic and has a side of adventure.

My husband and I are the definition of being “not resort people”, yet it was very nice. From the room to the entire facility it was amazing. The staff was incredible, I cannot say enough about their friendliness, courtesy, and everything in between, particularly Sofia in the Market Café and Omar at the bell desk. A little tip goes a long way here, and they do work very hard to make your stay a wonderful experience.

Our biggest disappointment was the food: authentic Mexican food at the resort was virtually non-existent for the bulk of our stay with the exception of the unchanging buffet options at breakfast and lunch. This was very disappointing as we understand Oaxacan cuisine to be the jewel of Mexican fare. The Mexican restaurant “Tamarindo” was closed for the better part of the week. It was only open on the weekend when the Mexican nationals were there (Friday-Sunday); the choices for us the remainder of the time were Italian, French, fairly-generic seafood, Teppan-style Japanese, and burgers at the beach bar. There was also a big Mexican fiesta with buffet in the plaza ONLY during the weekend as well. We found that there was little information about the events like this that went on or we had no idea where to find this. This includes the fact that they had special lunches at the beach bar but only on the weekend. This may all be standard (we have no idea) but just stumbled upon these things by chance. As a result, we just did not spend a lot of time at the resort and went to town to eat. When we go to Mexico, we want Mexican food, not Italian, French, or Japanese which were the only choices for at least the first three days. Also, as we have not stayed in a resort of this type before we were not aware of the fact that they have a dress code for dinner, including long pants and closed-toed shoes for men, although in hindsight I do not think that the punishment to have to eat outside for casual dining is a bad thing LOL.

My husband and I are wanderers who enjoy the grander adventure experience. It was no problem for us either financially or culinarily (is that a word?) to eat more than half our meals off the resort: we experienced Tlayudas in Santa Maria Huatulco, minutes-old, fresh-roasted coffee in Pluma Hidalgo, conch ceviche in La Bocana and may other delicious foods. However, for those who ARE resort people and want more than what can be experienced in a fine restaurant in Calgary, Edmonton, or Vancouver, this would be a disappointment.

There was one big issue at the resort gift shop, poor Omar was upset seeing me so angry with the girls in the shop. Shop in town or elsewhere, they are rude and obviously uninterested in tourists.

We did do the city tour which was the typical but it was good to get our bearings. We also hired a local bird watching guide we found online and took a private tour up to Pluma Hildago and hiked through a coffee plantation for birds. Fantastic to get out and see a bit of the state. We even tried Chapulines with Mezcal. Walked to La Bocana a couple of times (about 30 minutes from the resort). Managed to get a local mud bath for $10 in La Bocana from Alejandra, which was a great experience.

Room Tip: IWe had a room on the top floor of building 3 and it was perfect. Easy access in and out of the res...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cincanada7
Dear :

First of all let me thank you for your message and staying at our resort in your past vacations.

Let me assure you that your feedback is very important and that we will take in account your comments; since our mission is to offer the best quality service to our guests.

It has been our pleasure to attend you in Secrets and we hope to see you again.

We wish you a pleasant day and week,

Best regards.

Mankato, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Wow, what an improvement over our stay two years ago. The hotel is still just as nice and nicely set up. The service was improved ten fold. Pool bar service was excellent. Armando will take good care of you if you are even close to the bar. Magdalena is awsome. Service with a smile and I mean a huge smile. She was always stopping by and getting us drinks, what a sweetheart. As always the entertainment staff was very friendly (Miky and Fabiola were great). The restaurant service was much improved and food quality was very good for an all inclusive. Spice was my wife's favorite and mine was probably Cin Cin. Our waiter at Cin Cin and Tamarindo were the best. I hope they never build that Riu next door and ruin the privacy of this resort!!!
We also met Gilberto (pronounced, HeelBearToe). I met him on the beach one morning an he tried to sell me a trip. Later we ended up booking a private boat tour through him on a 38 foot yacht. We have done this in Huatulco in the past and it worked out fine. This time was no different. We found out he has a permit through the harbor master to do this and I'm sure he wants to keep a good name. He is a very nice guy, just like everyone else in Huatulco. I also went fishing with him. I asked if it would be with him or some other guy. He told me it would be with him, in his own boat. Once again, he was true to his word and picked us up right on the beach. It was the most fun I have had on a fishing trip in Mexico. (I have done this about 10 times). It was a very nice boat with 1 brand new motor and one that was a couple of years old. We went out and caught some Bonita, Yellowtail and some other fish that tasted good but I forgot what he called it. We were catching fish so we told him we just wanted to keep doing the same thing instead of going to try for Mahi Mahi and Sailfish. That is what we did and we ended up catching about 10 fish in 4 hours. We were trolling and casting. He actually let us fish ourselves, no just ride around in the boat and watch until we got a bite. Just go to the beach and ask for him. I got his card and his email is gilberto_alegria@hotmail.com

Room Tip: No room is a bad room, but the ones on the bottom 2 buildings would be a little louder since they ar...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Carmatt507
It was our pleasure to have the opportunity to host your holidays again. I am glad to know how much you enjoyed spending time at our hotel and spa highlighted by our staff’s attentiveness. Our mission is to create memories by exceeding our guests expectations and I'm very pleased to read that we accomplished this goal during your stay. I look forward to welcome you back in the near future and provide you another incredible experience.

Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

There are all kinds of secrets we discovered during our week (Dec 27/13 - Jan 3/14 at this outstanding all-inclusive 18+ resort. The facilities are spotless and level of friendly service superb. The a la carte restaurants provide great food, attentive service, and aren't crowded (and, except for Spice, no reservations needed). Bordeaux's Chateaubriand in particular was excellent. The pool is very clean and lounge chairs always available. Chairs with umbrellas overhead are at a premium because there's always sunshine. Come to think of it, there was one cloud one day. The spa is beautiful and set on a rise above the resort . Start with a dry sauna, shower, steam room, shower, and then 3 hydro therapy stations. Finish with a massage while overlooking beautiful Bahia de Conejos with dramatic rock outcroppings. The beach is about 500m long with ~30 m of fine-course clean sand above the waterline. Bar service is quick and the bartenders are friendly. Have Armando or Saul at the Marlin Pool Bar pour you a Bob Marley, Avalanche, or Rainbow. Maybe a Tequila Boom-Boom? Bud Light & Budweiser are available in cans. Crown Royal, Jack Daniels, Grey Goose, & Don Julio are on the bar. Don't miss Daniel's Tequila Tasting session on Friday morning. And when Miguel cries out "Everyone Pee in the Pool!" or "Everyone Get Naked", don't -- he's just kidding! Overall a great place to spend a week with our 20-something daughter and son and their partners. The New Year's Eve party was well done and a definite surprise & delight. Really hope we can make it back again to Secrets Huatulco.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean & the pool. The higher the better view and the quieter. First level i...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Jeff S
It was our pleasure to have the opportunity to host your holidays. I am glad to know how much you enjoyed spending time at our hotel and spa highlighted by our staff’s attentiveness. Our mission is to create memories by exceeding our guests expectations and I'm very pleased to read that we accomplished this goal during your stay. I look forward to welcome you back in the near future and provide you another incredible experience.

Tsawwassen, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

A beautiful resort with an amazing view of the ocean. All rooms are modern and the swim-out is a great feature. Beer available through 24hr room service is of good qaulity.

We went snorkeling... saw some fish, tried archery and, enjoyed the skybar. We each had an 80 minute massage better than any massage we've had at home.
However, we did not enjoy the food.

Food qaulity was a common complaint among the guests. There are no standards and likely minimal training on food preperation. Food qaulity is a MAJOR hit or miss here but, if you drink enough alchohol you probably wont notice or mind. Either way I recommend that you AVOID the beef, it is either undercooked or so overcooked that it resembles a brick.

The club sandwich through room service has been good more time than its been bad. The chef at spice was wonderful but the reservation was hard to get.

Overall if you looking for a QUIET destination and the food is not that important to you then, this is the place. When I say QUIET, I mean that it's not a "party" resort and the closest town is small with only 2 restaurants.

Ultimately, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014
7 Thank RK L
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear RK L,

Thank you very much for sharing your message through Trip Advisor.

We are sorry to know that you did'nt enjoy our Food. We would be very grateful to receive a more detailed message about your food experience, in order to take the necessary measures needed. I 'm sharing you my email a_gerencia.sechu@secretsresorts.com; so that you can contact us by this way,

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Secrets Huatulco from Dec 25 - Jan 1. The resort is first rate.
- Rooms: very contemporary and stylish. Nice layout. Great shower. King size bed. Partially frosted glass door on washroom can be a bit invasive, but is a minor detail. Amazing views overlooking ocean, pool, etc. Only caution was that I tried sleeping with doors open to hear the ocean, but had 'no see um' bites. I naturally attract them and I have allergic reactions. They didn't bother my wife.
- Restaurants: all restaurants were very nice to great. Reservations were not required for a la carte restaurants, and walk in was not a problem. You did not need to get up / line up early in the morning for a dinner reservation. Lunch options included a la carte, full buffet, or beach BBQ. All were good. Breakfast was a buffet with very good selection and quality.
- Bar Service and drinks: premium drinks were served upon request. Sky bar had nice atmosphere and great sunset views. The wine is not the greatest, but is drinkable. A wine list for purchase is available, but prices are same as restaurant prices in Toronto.
- Entertainment: the daily activities were fun, you just need to partake. The entertainment staff were open and friendly.
- Spa: nice.
- Grounds: beautiful.
- Beach: very nice. The sand was not as coarse as other Pacific beaches. If you venture south for a short walk through the trees (2 mins) you find another beach. So lots of options. The water sports activities, kayaks, etc., were good.
- Staff: fantastic! People were warm, friendly, and helpful. Our Air Canada rep Osiris recommended two daily excursions, which were great. Restaurant staff were great. Pool servers and bartenders worked their butts off. Same for room cleaners and groundskeepers. (I saw someone else did not like the sales team, but I found them friendly. Yes, they try to sell you on future package memberships, but I didn't find them too pressing. They were friendly and happy, not pushy.)
- Last item, New Years: Wow. This place did an amazing job of putting on an event! I was amazed at the effort they put forward... Food (lobster, king crab, lamb) was a feast, plus fireworks, plus a live band, etc. Was an amazing show. Unbelievable!

Of course I highly recommend this resort. I've been to many resorts and this one tops my list. Thank you Secrets Huatulco.

(One personal recommendation to guests - please bring a few dollars for tips. People work hard to serve you food, bus your plates, clean your room, bring you drinks, etc., to see you enjoy yourself. A dollar here and there for good service seems reasonable to me.)

Enjoy!

Stayed December 2013
8 Thank JeanMarc L
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 11, 2014

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

The hotel was generally fantastic. The rooms are very well distributed and everything is new. The staff is extremely friendly. The hotel has several restaurants to choose from and the food is very good in each of them. My only complaint is that the check in was slightly delayed and in one of the restaurants (Spice) service is super slow.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jafm87
Dear jafm87,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience through Trip Advisor; we are glad to know that you had a great stay at our resort.

We will take in account your observations about Check-In and restaurants, in order to improve these services.