“Another wonderful stay!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Galva, Illinois
“Another wonderful stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at secrets dec. 7 -14. This was our second stay. We were also there in April. It is a well run resort with an awesome staff of hard working individuals. The beach, pool area, and restaurants are all wonderful. I had requested the same room as we had the last time due to some mobility issues and they took care of it.
If you are prone to motion sickness take your Dramamine for the bus trip to resort from airport. It has lots of twists and turns in the road but my apple representative got the front seat of the bus for me so I made it.
This is a resort that we plan to visit every year. Very relaxing and you can't beat the weather. I only wish I was back there now as we are struggling with snow and below zero temperatures!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Stephanie W
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Stephanie W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I will be very happy to share it with our staff.

General Manager Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,198)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Spent Dec 10-17 there. This was my first all-inclusive vacation. I was not disappointed! My boyfriend and I had a truly wonderful time (and he's an experienced resort go-er).

We stayed in a "regular" Junior Suite, and the room was airy, spacious and spotless. This place is very well-maintained, the grounds are beautiful and surrounded by nature, and all amenities are readily accessed. But this place is built into a hill, and there are some steep areas. If you do have mobility issues with steep grades guests are able to catch carts which will shuttle them to and from the more elevated areas.

Secrets has a relaxed, laid-back vibe and with adults of all ages. There are activities (Aquazumba, archery, snorkelling, kayaking, tennis [all free]), but if you're looking for a wild party atmosphere or lively nightlife, this isn't the place. While the booze flowed freely and everyone was certainly having a good time, the guests are well-behaved and respectful. Only saw a couple of guys one night who clearly had enjoyed several too many during the day, but that was it.

The staff are warm, friendly, and courteous. Take pesos and tip frequently. They work very hard to make sure everyone is taken care of and comfortable.

My boyfriend loved their tennis and played twice a day, every day. Special shootouts to Victor and Edgar, the tennis pros who also acted as guides for snorkelling and kayaking.

Everyone always had a smile on their face.

The beach is scrupulously clean; its sand, as others have mentioned, is coarse, and the surf can be strong, but the bay is beautiful. Chances are good you will see some spectacular sunrises and sunsets.

Foodwise, you won't go hungry, and there is something for everyone. We visited all of the restaurants over the course of our week's stay, with our preferred spots of Oceana's terrace for dinner (we ate there 3 times - shout out to Melesio; but it's not open for lunch) and Castaways for lunch (not open for dinner). For breakfast, we hit up the Market Cafe every day. My boyfriend loved the omelet station, and I ate the most delicious scrambled eggs ever. We also loved the selection of fresh fruits and juices. The Market Cafe also offers handmade tortillas with all of the authentic local accoutrements. Seriously good quality stuff.

The French and Asian restaurants we also enjoyed very much; the Tamarindo and Cin Cin were just okay. Nothing was awful.

The climate here is HOT and the sun is strong. But the pools are big and beautiful with room for everyone. It can be a challenge to find a shady spot at times, but I always did, whether by the pool or on the beach. Bring bug spray; if you're sitting outside at night (or playing an evening game of tennis), you will get bitten.

The spa is very good. I had the privilege of enjoying an 80-minute massage (which included an incredible and lengthy hydro-therapy circuit) that was blissful.

The fitness centre could use a bit of attention. Of the three treadmills, one was broken. The spray bottle to wipe down the machines was empty, the signage to differentiate the dirty towels and from the garbage is non-existent, and the floor had crumbs on it. However the view from the gym almost makes up for the negatives.

Some reviewers have mentioned that not all the restaurants are open every night, however the closings do coincide with their theme nights held on the main dining terraces, eg. one night there was a Mexican buffet which meant that that night, Tamarindo (the Mexican restaurant) wasn't in operation. For Italian night, Cin Cin was closed and an Italian buffet was set up. Not a big deal, seriously. We never, ever had to wait for a table anywhere for more than a few minutes. Sometimes service could be a little on the slow side if things are exceptionally busy, but nothing to complain about.

While I had planned to enjoy several excursions to explore the area outside the hotel, we were having such a great time we only ventured off the resort once into Crucecita. A taxi into town was 62 pesos and about a half hour's drive, and we had the driver pick us up a couple of hours later. It's a small town and, as a tourist, you will stand out.The locals want your business and can be insistent, but they were always respectful, polite and will leave you alone if it's clear you're not interested in what they have to offer. Do not be hesitant to get off the resort and check out some local flavour.

When shopping at the resort stores, do take pesos rather than US dollars. Pesos are the preferred currency, however you can tip in USD if that's what you've got handy. I witnessed one gentleman in the gift shop buy a $5 item (with a $5 US bill, not a hundred or anything huge) and he was asked to produce ID and sign a form. According to the taped notice on the cash register, this has something to do with avoiding money laundering, etc. Benign situation really, but it was slow and could be a hassle if you had to go through that every time you need to nip into the shop for some mints or aspirin with your US$. The beach vendors and the small businesses that set up within the hotel will take either currency, and some of them have some really interesting items.

All in all, we enjoyed a fantastic vacation experience at an all-inclusive resort. Thank you, Secrets Hualtulco.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Mel B
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear Mel B,

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I visited the resort between Christmas and new years for a 7 day stay. I had a junior suite. The room had two very comfortable double beds. The room was very clean and maid service visited twice a day to keep things clean and fresh. The toilet and shower areas are only behind glass doors so there are no secrets at Secrets. The TV had a great selection of channels but most was only in Spanish. The Playboy channel is included at no extra cost. The in room fridge was small but kept full with a few beers, pops and botles of water.

The 5 ala cart resturants were good. No reservations were required unless you wanted to sit at one of the tebanyaki tables in the Japanese resturaunts. There were two spots for breakfast but both had the same selection. For lunch they have the buffet, the pool side BBQ, or Castaways restaurant with waiter service and a salad bar. I highly recommend the longer walk to Castaways, it’s worth the trip.

The staff was amazingly helpful and cooperative. I spent a great deal of time at the pool participating in every activity available. Andrea went out of her way to keep me involved in all the activities and Danielle and Mickey did a great job running water volley ball and aqua aerobics.

All the pool side bartenders got to know what I liked and were already mixing it as I walked up. When I got lazy the pool side waiters were only too happy to fetch a refill for me.

In our connected age I was disappointed in how poor the WIFI coverage was. They seemed to have access points named after every building; giving you the impression that there was coverage everywhere, but it was hard to find a good signal anywhere. The general consensus was head to the sky bar, if you wanted to get service. And there you were lucky if you got two bars.

I am used to having a late night snack but there was nothing really offered after 10 unless you went to your room and ordered room service. This was probably a good thing for my waistline anyway.

I had a geat week here and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view, I don't think the swim up rooms at a premium are worth it unless y...
4 Thank Len6f6
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Len 6f6,

We thank you very much for taking the time to publish this review, and sharing your experience at Secrets Huatulco.

It is a pleasure to know that you had a great stay at our Resort & Spa. We will inform Daniel and Miguel about your message, they will be for sure very happy to read your comments.

Regarding to Wi Fi, we apologize for the inconveniences, we are working to improve our Wi Fi connection.

We hope to see you soon at our hotel.

General Manager Assistant of the Hotel
Manitoba, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

This hotel is situated on its own bay. With it being adults only, it is relaxing and peaceful. All areas are very clean and modern. There was never an issue of finding a chair or having to reserve for dinner. During Christmas, we didn't have to wait to get into any restaurants. The spa is a definite highlight, with hydrotherapy added to any massage for free. A true spa experience! Each day was full of sunshine and heat. The gym has a great view, but very small, and warm. The staff are so friendly and looking to provide the best service. Highly recommend

Room Tip: All rooms have the view of the ocean!
5 Thank mpolinuk
It was a pleasure to have the opportunity to host your holidays. I am glad to know how much you enjoyed spending time at our hotel and spa highlighted by our staff’s attentiveness. Our mission is to create memories by exceeding our guests expectations and I'm very pleased to read that we accomplished this goal during your stay. I look forward to welcome you back in the near future and provide you another incredible experience.

Best regards,

Our best wishes for 2014.

Milwaukee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I recently returned from a week-long vacation in Huatulco. My reservation was originally at Dreams but due to overbooking, they were looking for volunteers to move to Secrets. So, I took them up on their offer and spent about 2 days there. It was very different from Dreams. It was located on one of the bays that was more secluded. The resort is only a few years old so everything was very new. All rooms have an ocean view. As mentioned in other reviews, even the elevators had ocean view but that meant they were toasty to ride during the day. The rooms were very modern but I did not necessarily care for the design. First, they had “secret” doors where you can exchange items, such as food. The door on the outside was not secure at all so if you did not secure the large door on the inside, anybody could get in. I think that is a flaw and those doors should be keyed for hotel personnel only. Second, the bathroom design was less than desirable. I went to Huatulco with a friend so you can imagine my surprise to find the enclosure with the toilet was only separated by a clear glass door. The same for the shower/tub enclosure. So much for privacy. Even if I did go with a spouse or lover, I would want my privacy. I found out however, that not all rooms have that. Finally, the balcony was lovely but someone could walk from balcony to balcony all the way down the building. Again, I find that a poor security design. Yes, there was a lock on the sliding door you could use but I just felt that was poor design.
Secrets is an all adult resort which meant it was quieter and also the food was better, with more flavor. Like Dreams, you did not need a reservation at any of their restaurants. We visited the Italian and Japanese restaurants and both were very good. Even the food in the cafeteria style restaurant was awesome. They also had an outside bar and grill where you can order a burger, chicken wings, nachos etc. There was a swim up bar but, I noticed that because it was an all adult resort, the alcohol was free flowing. Some adults became obnoxious and bragging about how they got so drunk that they lost their cookies. I didn’t see or hear anything of that sort at Dreams. Also, even though they say this is an Adult Only resort, I would classify it as a Couples Resort.
The staff was very accommodating and nice. Secrets also had resort credits but like Dreams, there were strings attached so I opted not to take advantage of that.
The major disappointment was their poor Wi-Fi service. It was there but there were many places it didn’t work, like the room and beach. And every time you moved, you had to connect to a different server and enter your password again. Dreams wasn’t like that at all. They had some application that once you logged in, you could connect to whatever server was the strongest. It worked every place I tried.
The entertainment is the same as Dreams. And to all those that criticize the entertainment should just do what they do for one night. They work hard, learn MANY routines and do it with a smile and for little money. So hats off to the group!
While it was a pleasant stay, it is all personal preference and I think I would prefer Dreams.

7 Thank espj
Dear guest.

We thank you very much for your feedback, it is essential for our team to reed the experience of our guests.

In this frame we will take in account your observations, to make the necessary changes needed..

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to Secrets Huatulco. We love it here so it is easier for us to say what it isn't.
It is not party central.
If you plan on whooping it up and party hard, go somewhere else.
Secrets is a classy resort and offers their guests a restful and relaxing vacation. Staff is absolutely top notch. Many of them remembered us from the previous year!!! Food was awesome. A big improvement from last year. Rooms are amazing.
Don't be afraid to take a cab and adventure off the resort.
Can't wait to go back.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank carl091610
Dear carl09161,

Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

It is a good hotel for romance but I had great expectations about the hotel and the service, but they were pretty average. The food was decent, nothing too fancy, I hoped to find some premium drinks ( even with an extra fee) but I just found the all inclusive ones. Nothing tasty...

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JuanC P
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear JuanC P,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share us your message through our Trip Advisor account.

We are sorry to know that our service didn't meet your expectations. We would be very grateful if you can send us a more detailed feedback of our experience (in particular regarding to you food and beverage experience), to this email a_gerencia.sechu@secretsresorts.com

So that we can take the necessary measures needed, in relation with your comments.

Best regards,

Our best wishes for 2014.