Spent Dec 10-17 there. This was my first all-inclusive vacation. I was not disappointed! My boyfriend and I had a truly wonderful time (and he's an experienced resort go-er).
We stayed in a "regular" Junior Suite, and the room was airy, spacious and spotless. This place is very well-maintained, the grounds are beautiful and surrounded by nature, and all amenities are readily accessed. But this place is built into a hill, and there are some steep areas. If you do have mobility issues with steep grades guests are able to catch carts which will shuttle them to and from the more elevated areas.
Secrets has a relaxed, laid-back vibe and with adults of all ages. There are activities (Aquazumba, archery, snorkelling, kayaking, tennis [all free]), but if you're looking for a wild party atmosphere or lively nightlife, this isn't the place. While the booze flowed freely and everyone was certainly having a good time, the guests are well-behaved and respectful. Only saw a couple of guys one night who clearly had enjoyed several too many during the day, but that was it.
The staff are warm, friendly, and courteous. Take pesos and tip frequently. They work very hard to make sure everyone is taken care of and comfortable.
My boyfriend loved their tennis and played twice a day, every day. Special shootouts to Victor and Edgar, the tennis pros who also acted as guides for snorkelling and kayaking.
Everyone always had a smile on their face.
The beach is scrupulously clean; its sand, as others have mentioned, is coarse, and the surf can be strong, but the bay is beautiful. Chances are good you will see some spectacular sunrises and sunsets.
Foodwise, you won't go hungry, and there is something for everyone. We visited all of the restaurants over the course of our week's stay, with our preferred spots of Oceana's terrace for dinner (we ate there 3 times - shout out to Melesio; but it's not open for lunch) and Castaways for lunch (not open for dinner). For breakfast, we hit up the Market Cafe every day. My boyfriend loved the omelet station, and I ate the most delicious scrambled eggs ever. We also loved the selection of fresh fruits and juices. The Market Cafe also offers handmade tortillas with all of the authentic local accoutrements. Seriously good quality stuff.
The French and Asian restaurants we also enjoyed very much; the Tamarindo and Cin Cin were just okay. Nothing was awful.
The climate here is HOT and the sun is strong. But the pools are big and beautiful with room for everyone. It can be a challenge to find a shady spot at times, but I always did, whether by the pool or on the beach. Bring bug spray; if you're sitting outside at night (or playing an evening game of tennis), you will get bitten.
The spa is very good. I had the privilege of enjoying an 80-minute massage (which included an incredible and lengthy hydro-therapy circuit) that was blissful.
The fitness centre could use a bit of attention. Of the three treadmills, one was broken. The spray bottle to wipe down the machines was empty, the signage to differentiate the dirty towels and from the garbage is non-existent, and the floor had crumbs on it. However the view from the gym almost makes up for the negatives.
Some reviewers have mentioned that not all the restaurants are open every night, however the closings do coincide with their theme nights held on the main dining terraces, eg. one night there was a Mexican buffet which meant that that night, Tamarindo (the Mexican restaurant) wasn't in operation. For Italian night, Cin Cin was closed and an Italian buffet was set up. Not a big deal, seriously. We never, ever had to wait for a table anywhere for more than a few minutes. Sometimes service could be a little on the slow side if things are exceptionally busy, but nothing to complain about.
While I had planned to enjoy several excursions to explore the area outside the hotel, we were having such a great time we only ventured off the resort once into Crucecita. A taxi into town was 62 pesos and about a half hour's drive, and we had the driver pick us up a couple of hours later. It's a small town and, as a tourist, you will stand out.The locals want your business and can be insistent, but they were always respectful, polite and will leave you alone if it's clear you're not interested in what they have to offer. Do not be hesitant to get off the resort and check out some local flavour.
When shopping at the resort stores, do take pesos rather than US dollars. Pesos are the preferred currency, however you can tip in USD if that's what you've got handy. I witnessed one gentleman in the gift shop buy a $5 item (with a $5 US bill, not a hundred or anything huge) and he was asked to produce ID and sign a form. According to the taped notice on the cash register, this has something to do with avoiding money laundering, etc. Benign situation really, but it was slow and could be a hassle if you had to go through that every time you need to nip into the shop for some mints or aspirin with your US$. The beach vendors and the small businesses that set up within the hotel will take either currency, and some of them have some really interesting items.
All in all, we enjoyed a fantastic vacation experience at an all-inclusive resort. Thank you, Secrets Hualtulco.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The enchanting Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa sits on the Pacific coast in Huatulco - a sustainable tourism destination recognized for its commitment to the local environment. Beautifully secluded on the Conejos Bay, guests at Secrets Huatulco are treated to divine views of golden sand beaches, stunning rock formations and sapphire waters. Exclusive Unlimited-Luxury(R) amenities start with limitless gourmet fare and top-shelf spirits, pool and beach wait service, and 24-hour room and concierge services. While 399 gorgeous suites offer daily refreshed mini-bar, spectacular views, plus a furnished balcony, terrace Jacuzzi, or swim-out pool access. Take part in daily activities and nightly entertainment, or a pampering treatment at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia. Guests can even spend a night out with the Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience at the nearby Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, to enjoy more fine dining and entertainment. Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa - Enchanting. Secluded. Divine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Huatulco Resort And Spa
- Secrets Huatulco Hotel Huatulco